Low self-esteem

Has anyone been able to overcome low self-esteem? I feel like it is something 90% of people in this board have.

Attached: 1520271026113.jpg (1920x1080, 212K)

Sometimes you have low self-esteem because you know your potential, and you see that you're clearly not achieving it. Go to the gym, better your social skills, read a book, etc. The best way I found to have a better opinion of myself is to be a better person

Copy-pasting my own post, here we go.

Look, I'm going to be a horrible human being here, but I believe it to be the highest truth about any psychological related problem:

That only escalated the way it did because you let it.

Now let me explain.
Your life and the people surrounding it sure were awful and despicable, but answer me this: are they still there to fuck with you or can you do something about it?

Think of it this way, depression is a tree in your brain. In fact, everything inside there is a tree. The more you water a tree, the bigger it gets.
Those brain-trees grow with attention. Be it not wanting it or anything else, if you think about it in any regard, it grows.

What do you do? You cut the water.
You know how when you blast your drums with music you tend to forget about anything else? Do that but with more things, EVEN IF YOU DON'T NECESSARILY NEED OR WANT THEM, JUST DO STUFF.
Feeling down? Fuck that, Imma do chores, Imma jog, Imma listen to music real fucking loud. Anything to cut that tree's source of nutrition.

I don't claim to know how to cure mental illnesses, but I do think that all those antidepressants serve the same purpose I stated, but are less effective because you aren't necessarily doing anything else to move your life, just popping pills. They do help, but they are temporary band-aids to a bigger wound that keeps on bleeding.

good post user

I will contribute with my own material as well

>U.S. Special Forces Lieutenant Approved Meditations

programming
writing
Eating/Drinking
TV
Reading
Video Games
Shopping
Cooking
Exercising
Saving Money
Cleaning
Playing Music

>t. life

This is great general advice. I've seen many a man obsess over strangers that aren't even aware he exists. Can't tell you how many times my own father would spend entire days mulling over a bad encounter with someone or something a toxic asshole would say to him.

Remember, it may sound selfish but if someone isn't supporting you (constructive criticism is support to btw), they shouldn't be in your life. Don't give them attention. Even bad attention of contempt or worry.

So from what I have gathered low-esteem is almost purely caused by anxiety? If you are able to control your stress, your self-esteem should be gone then?

but we go to Jow Forums anyway

Pass that around then. This is THE advice most people need.

Not anxiety, although it can can be a factor also.
I'd argue self esteem is overrated. Sure it's nice to have, but I'd give you my own house if you pointed me some one that is happy with his self image while taking care of it every day.

It's the kind of thing you have lots of the less you think of it. So for all it's worth, you might as well asume it doesn't exist.

Depression can lead to beauty to.

I don't make music when I'm happy.

Currently making alot of music.

You don't understand these issues. It's highly unlikely you can reverse damage done when you were at your tenderest and most impressionable just by mindlessly repeating good behaviors.
And what kind of solution is that really? Just do something at all times to escape your problems?
For me the best way to solve any psychological issue is to attack the root subconsciously, not cut every bad branch

>I'd argue self esteem is overrated.
>It's the kind of thing you have lots of the less you think of it. So for all it's worth, you might as well asume it doesn't exist.
People who have high self esteem don't think about their self esteem, yes. That doesn't mean the key to having high self esteem is to not think about it. It's only "overrated" in the sense that people who have too much of it are insufferable, arrogant, and can't recognize their own limitations, but people who don't have enough of it are completely dysfunctional.

You don't understand what big a difference there is between somebody with high versus low self esteem until you, as somebody on the low end, do cocaine. Honestly, self esteem is entirely chemical.

>I've seen many a man obsess over strangers that aren't even aware he exists
This is a crock. I'm naturally obsessed over marginal unimportant social interactions that I feel shame and guilt over. The fact I understand intellectually that it doesn't matter makes very little difference over my emotional state, but amphetamines make a difference. You don't fret about "you too" circumstances when your brain has enough dopamine. Go to a psychiatrist.

yes

Yeah, I self theraputized that shit out of me with a 2 year long experiment.
Mine was mostly tied to social anxiety, so I forced myself to immerse with society, even during wee dark hours of the morning.
Now I have beaming confidence and can do what I want.

Eating an addictive pill every 6h that also causes heart problems isn't a solution

If the choice is between being utterly miserably crippled and killing yourself, or being functional and dying of heart disease, what do you choose?

If you're 16 and you have low self esteem, buck up, maybe you'll grow out of it by the time you're 25. If you're 30 and you're still broken, your brain is done developing and you need drugs.

Have you tried to develop a healing relationship with a human being? I agree that intellectual realization does nothing but maybe if you felt unwavering acceptance and non judgmental love you could quiet that constant stream of anxiety that blocks your dopaminergic system

Broken people sabotage all relationships.

>maybe if you felt unwavering acceptance and non judgmental love you could quiet that constant stream of anxiety that blocks your dopaminergic system
not many people have any chance of finding someone like that.

especially not people with crippling self-esteem problems

oh I know that from personal experience. Nobody wants to know the real me, for good reason too.

How did you solve your issue. How can you attack the root subconsciously?