I'm retarded anons I can't do math at all

I'm retarded anons I can't do math at all.
I'm junior in high school ( yes I'm 18, not America, we finish hs 18/19 here ) and I'm probably going to end this year with all As and Bs and a D in math.
Can some people simply be unable to do math? I'm feeling really retarded.

We're currently doing some analytic geometry shit with K and m,n and y=kx + n and shit like that.

Attached: 1433467380171.jpg (757x502, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No one is born knowing math, it's something that's learned. Obviously some are better at it than others.

In high school we had several tiers of math and other STEM classes, and I was in the lowest tier possible stuck with stoners and kids who had been held back a year or two. I don't remember algebra or geometry or anything

I genuinely feel retarded.

I always tell myself that I'm really smart and in like top 10% at least in terms of intelligence. And then I remember people saying that knowing math correlates with one's intelligence and I feel like a retard.

Attached: 1540937397492s.jpg (248x250, 7K)

>and then I remember people saying that knowing math correlates with one's intelligence and I feel like a retard.

"intelligence" isn't one thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Someone who is good at math or programming might actually be an autistic retard who couldn't figure out how to talk to people and ask a girl out on a date to save his life. Someone who is extremely socially smart can easily charm the pants off someone or talk them into giving them all their money, but they barely know how to write in English/their native language. You have people that can write captivating stories that spark the imagination of millions of people, but if you asked them to draw some of the things they described in their books it would like like a left-handed toddler drew it, etc.

Some of the smartest people are often some of the dumbest ones.

What's the category for intelligence in term of being able to solve complex problems ( not mathematical ) or deduct thing really well. I'm also socially inept.
Think Sherlock.

Probably visual-spatial intelligence. Also Logical-mathematical. I believe that Logical-mathematical should be separated rather than being lumped into one. I know plenty of people with STEM/mathematical intelligence that are shit at critical thinking outside of the context of numbers or coding.

Well I'm good at critical thinking and just plain logic like that. Good at making plans and such..

But I literally need to think to add up 2 numbers like 87 + 65

>But I literally need to think to add up 2 numbers like 87 + 65

So does anyone else

Nigger nobody actually "does" math.
You set up the formula and let the computer do it. That's all math is, rigging formulas.

It's a daily quest for you, it's a mini boss for me.
Tell that to schools all over the world. Literally most As and 1 D

1. Fuck school.
2. No school is going to make you do 86+45 by hand. You're expected to know how to do that/punch it in the calc. I dont know why you're solving anything by hand in the first place anyway.

Train.
Give yourself some exercises every day.
How long time do you think it would take you to get fast at single digit addition?
Start with that.
If you can do that, you are doing great.

Let's look at your example from my POV:
I see two 2-digit numbers and I immediately start by treating them as smaller numbers, 9 and 6. Adding these together is 15, so the result is about 150. Then I look how much rounding I did on the numbers to get that number and I can see it is actually 152.
Doing the first "iteration" is perfectly fine in most situations in real life.
Let's assume you are cooking food for two parties and the numbers are attending guests, this makes your life so much easier.

Wow this actually does help quite a bit, thanks

Where are you from? We had an exam in that just today.

Serbia. You?

Croatia

Good luck with studying lol

Pa naravno kad samo mi radimo ovo u srednjoj kao idioti neki najveci.

Bulgarian here, stupid boring math teachers ruined my curiosity for math.. :(

I suggest you to have a look at this article:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

It's what I have with math, after being told I was shit in math in middle school. Still working on getting over it. Perhaps you also have this.

When people do well in school but struggle specifically with math, it's usually because they are applying the same study technique to math as they do with all other subjects.
Pretty much all subject in school are based on simply cramming facts. If you try this with mathematics, you will quickly get lost. Mathematics is not about learning and parrotiung facts, but about learning to think logically and deriving conclusions from simple assumptions.

I'll look into that.
I don't think I'm doing that, I'm hardly even studying, I'm just good at remembering while in the class and learning things on the fly while under a close deadline. I'm not learning stuff like you'd learn a song word by word.

This is both so wrong and right at the same time.

>That's all math is, rigging formulas.
In a sense this is very true. "Rigging formulas" is actually what math is about. The thing is, to do maths well, you have to really understand your rigging and why the formulas are what they are. That's what math is really about.

>I'm just good at remembering while in the class and learning things on the fly while under a close deadline.
Which is exactly what I was trying to say. And this is why you're not doing well in math. Very little in mathematics seems to makes any sense if you you just apply this technique of learning, and don't work on understanding the logic behind.

I don't think you're dumb at all. I just think you're lazy and you haven't put in enough time and thought into trying to understand the logic of maths.

>several types of intelligence
>not high in a single one
I hate being myself

Attached: A0531E57-AEDB-45B3-AC0C-0D8EFA3DD407.jpg (1125x1109, 166K)

You're correct and I admit that I'm being lazy but I just can't get it, and I've tried, I can learn to solve simple problems and I'll remember to solve them for the rest of my life, even when all the others forget when they don't need it anymore.
That's me if I ever made a romance visual novel. Sad.

Attached: mvlg7zz3z7z11.jpg (750x601, 136K)

It can be learned. The hard thing is finding an approach to math that will make you understand it, too. I've had extreme luck with a private teacher - after trying many over the years - who was able to explain it to me better than my actual teachers did ("Here is this formula. Learn it, you'll need it. Now here some exercises, I'll give you 5min to figure out how to use it." - Never got me anywhere.)

Analysis is one of my favourites now, I owe that girl my whole career.

t. sucked at math all my life until age 22

>I can learn to solve simple problems and I'll remember to solve them for the rest of my life, even when all the others forget when they don't need it anymore.
Exactly. You're trying to learn maths by memorization and not understanding. This means you don't get a solid foundation to build on when you get up to more advanced topics and problems in mathematics.

Well what do I do? Just practice?
My family too poor for a tutor. Best I have is an uncle that knows a bit but he forgot most of the stuff so we're practically learning together when he helps me.

its circumstances, dont worry
you probably missed out on some part of it and now its all unusable

math is like that

gotta find your blanks and fill them in

> Just practice?
Well, yes. It takes time and effort. But the important thing is to try to understand WHY what you're doing makes sense and not just leave it at memorizing how to do something.

>we're practically learning together when he helps me
This is not necesarily such a bad thing.

I always understand what I'm doing, it's not just mindless applying of the formula.

>This is not necesarily such a bad thing
Well I still get Ds and Cs

>I always understand what I'm doing
Ok, then explain to me what this
>shit with K and m,n and y=kx + n and shit like that.
means.

I can't do anything above simple addition and subtraction due to a childhood brain injury. I'm pretty sure my math teachers just fudged the rules to let me pass because the highest grade I made on my Algebra II tests was a 28.

y is the number on the Y-axis, k is the number that multiplies X ( number on x-axis ) and n is the dot where the lines cut the axis ( M is where they cut Y axis ), this is an internal ( or external, not sure alright ) variation of the equation, there's also an segmentall one.
Of course I don't know the names of all these in English so the names are probably wrong.

Any way I'll go sleep now.

I'll give it to you straight; no way you're in the top 10%, and math doesn't have anything to do with it. But good luck, kid!

If math has nothing to do with it, then me not knowing it which is the only thing I told about myself in this thread doesn't prove I'm not in the top 10%, I can be anyone, and if you could tell anyone/everyone they aren't in the top 10% then no one would be in top 10%.