How do I deal with incompetent peiple, especially women and managers, in the workplace?

How do I deal with incompetent peiple, especially women and managers, in the workplace?

>be programmer at big company but small department
>Most coworkers only know basic excel and access shit because it's finance
>Asked to develop program which reads tables from Access
>Have to install driver
>call PC Support dept.
>she picks up phone already upset
>climbs up my ass about trying to install a driver she's never heard of
>tells me that PC support's scope doesn't reach this issue
>Sends me an email with a contact
>as soon as she sees my picture, she's super nice and sends tons of smiley faces
>was still watching my screen, my application must have impressed her and all of a sudden she wants to help
>She says to contact a system admin in IT
>call IT and goes to receptionist
>She is also sending me smileys
>Write a very technical email, specify to send to a system admin and that PC support couldn't help
>She sends it to the lead manager of PC support and nobody else
>Now PC support manager calls my manager about sending him emails outside of his scope and wasting time
>manager pissed when I come in next day
>Explain situation, he understands entirely but dislikes that I was indirectly responsible for making our department look bad
>the manager above him gives literally 0 fucks about it and said it wasn't at all my fault

How do I navigate this shit next time? My manager was out for two days on a meeting and normally gives me free reign to get things done. Guy above me when he's gone okayed everything. I still don't have a driver and I don't want to push the issue any more despite never talking to anyone qualified.

Attached: g5ztu5s0kdm21.jpg (1440x2529, 1.07M)

Read the Gervais Priciple series on Ribbonfarm's blog to understand why people like this in an organization are a feature, not a bug. It's from like 2010. Subscribe to metaintent on YT as well

Mind a quick rundown?

Attached: 6709bgvs60k21.png (516x708, 628K)

Buy the four people you like coffee and donuts for a week.

Ok, how about from the author himself?
watch?v=jJYa68AnECY

Attached: usc-annenberg-6-638.jpg (638x479, 48K)

Sorry, that wasn't the best rundown. Hang tight, I'll pull something up (if you can't tell, it's been about a year since I've read it in full, I come back to it every few years.)

My overarching point to you OP is that you need to understand how people and organizations actually function to get your needs met. Assuming everyone is as level headed as you is going to be a huge shortcoming.

Oh. I can get the immediate gist from that picture. I literally only care about programming and honestly don't give a shit about the money. It's nice to have, but enough to live is fine with me. I understand my manager entirely and that he was just looking to protect himself. My issue is with the PC support manager and those two women who only care what I look like.

Where would you say I fit in, as someone who has studied this concept?

Attached: 35aa917.jpg (720x635, 32K)

You're earnest and seem to care about doing your job, but you don't run the show. That puts you in clueless.

Attached: compMacLeod21.jpg (395x352, 21K)

I watched the video. Lots of take away from it. But personally, I have taken tests honestly online and studied quite a bit, and I believe I have sociopathic tendencies. I started not so long ago and have never had an evaluation because I could never afford insurance until now and my parents never paid for it for me since I was around 5. I get what I want out of the company, which is to actively develop my trade so that I can leave in a year or two. My manager sees this and let's me get things done my own way. I have no personal interest in management because it means I will be doing less of the work I like.

What advice can you give on these situations? Will people continue to get into my way due to stupidity as long as I don't advance up the managerial ladder? Do I simply live in the wrong reality and should stop striving for my ideals?

Attached: a7d6b33.jpg (750x743, 69K)

You become a manager not because you are doing less work you like but because it affords you more options employment wise.

Eventually with your skillset agism will be a problem in the future and having managerial experience puts you on a safer employment trajectory. Get it out of the way, get some years on you and then go back to working under someone as an employee.

Attached: 1425638912013.png (794x448, 322K)

The word "Sociopath" isn't used literally in this context, it's used playfully. Neither is Clueless or Loser for that matter. He states this straightforwardly in like the first post.

You would do better to check out Metaintent and watch their content, easier than reading substantially long multi-part blog series. Their uplloads are not about work organizations, but human groups in general. There is more going on with people than meets the eye, and if you don't care enough to find out, you will be stuck in the role they put you in for their little dramas indefinitely

Damn you for making sense.

My end goal is to be a legacy programmer at some financial institution. In ten years, I could easily make 200k. Already offered a position for 98k (not programming) at the age of 20, others 75k and 82k. I didn't take it specifically because I did not want to be incompetent. Right now I'm a big fish in a small pond while I get enough experience.

You honestly believe staying in the department long enough to be a supervisor in a year and a manager in four or so would be better than leaving and getting a better position at a better company?

Will watch as we talk.

Attached: 8bfc131.png (600x293, 13K)

Money isn't the problem, you will be middle class to upper middle class regardless, no what I am talking about is the long game. In the future with artificial intelligence being on the rise and more jobs being automated, programming might be up on the list. Not saying a total wipe out but some sub sections.

Your situation looks good for now but you never know my friend, downsizing and layoffs happen all the time. Read hackernews if you don't believe me and you know what is worse than not having a job? Looking for a job. Stick it , let your manager know you are interested in gaining a managerial skillset, become a supervisor and when you feel you have gotten enough out of the job then go somewhere else.

As I said this is all about options and leads yourself to two different branches. Employee or employer. Programming is a wide field and you will have opportunities where ever you go but this situation seems ideal because your boss and his boss are on the same page with you.

But I understand if you want to go for the greener pastures user, taking that next job with the bigger paycheck sounds enticing.

Attached: 231213213113.png (960x720, 821K)

I know COBOL, which is used for 70% of all wealth transfers on a daily basis. I actually like the work because it's challenging and nearly nobody wants to do it. Despite this, 85% of all COBOL programmers will be retired in 15 years. High demand, low supply. The companies use a language from the 60's because it's far too expensive to update. Given my skillset and my current opportunities, what do you say?

I say that I finish my degree while working either here or the better company in my city, then move to St. Louis to work my way up until I get enough status to secure a place in a fortune 25 company. Right now I'm at around Fortune 200.

Would it be career suicide to inform my manager of my genuine frustrations with the incompetency of the workers around me, asking for advice on how to navigate. I can very easily read between the lines with what he says and doesn't say. I assume I will get sympathy, but he will likely play dumb as a way to avoid saying anything which may jeopardise his position should I decide to be loud. Do you believe this will grant a response of any use?

>Would it be career suicide to inform my manager of my genuine frustrations with (...)

For context I'm the Gervais Principle/Metaintent guy. Like I said, you assume everyone is levelheaded and straightforward like you, it's going to put you in bad spots, just like usual. You need to learn how to go about things indirectly. No one else can help you because only you are in your unique situation. You must learn about people and groups yourself, or be subject to the forces they impose on you

Yeah I read that COBOL while ancient is still being used to day as a cultural statement being refusing to change and maintaining the status quo is often times easier then going for brand new technology.

Keep refining your COBOL skills is my only advice. Proficiency is more than one language has no disadvantages.
> then move to St. Louis to work my way up until I get enough status to secure a place in a fortune 25 company.
You need a contingency plan for if this plan does not work and how do you combat stagnation? Human beings have this awful habit of getting too comfortable and losing their fire in their belly. This plan sounds wishy washy with no concrete steps. Either focus on getting the nitty gritty down or don't bother. Moving to another city is a tremendous opportunity that comes with risk.
>Would it be career suicide to inform my manager of my genuine frustrations with the incompetency of the workers around me
Not career suicide but a very stupid thing to do and will cost you in the future. Keep your mouth shut and don't overstep your authority.

Managers talk all the time and so expect this to indirectly be heard by the guys above him. Anyone causing motions within the workplace (no matter how good they are) will get the boot. I seen it happen to guys who have been with company for years. The point is that you might be a big fish now but at another place you are an insect user, always be humble and keep your head facing your goals, small stuff like this is fruitless endeavor to bring up.

If you want to become a legacy programmer than go for it but personally becoming a manger will help more in the long run. Do whatever your gut is telling you.

You measure your worth by your accomplishments because that's how your brain is wired, but it's all arbitrary. You will be blind your whole life no matter how much financial success you achieve. That's your archetype

Doesn't the idea that those carving their own path for success by using those around him because he is both lazy and smart conflict with those who create motion? I feel as though those who innovate by using what is surrounding them in order to meet their own needs were the ones to succeed, from what I've been told so far. How is it possible to create innovations through the work of others while also staying silent. When working with my teammate, despite him being older and more experienced, I call the shots and make the decisions. I get asked to innovate because it's mutually beneficial, yet be nimble enough to manipulate those around me despite my lack of prestige given my young age. Looks and mannerisms help, but I am experiencing the obverse size of ageism which you currently warn of.

I agree. I feel bored by other people because they are hardly surprising anymore. I can't trust them further than what I can manipulate them, and I've yet to perfect it. I manipulate my landlords, friends, coworkers, parents, etc. I have trouble finding happiness after a great deal of emotional trauma and a lack of hope. I have a large void as to what the end goal is in my life other than to do what pleases me while still holding on to mimiced morality, which I now debate holding on to.

Seems to me you don't want advice and like the sound of your own voice. What was the point of this thread if after all this time nothing has changed from anyone has told you here?

If you want to be an autist and tell your boss your opinion than by all means go ahead but there is no benefit in doing so.

I was asking for clarification in the first part of that post. The second part is me trying to convey my inner conflicts and struggle for self-fulfilment. I can't change my conditioning which was preached to me by everyone since birth in a short time nor easily. I have taken advice, but lack the opportunity to act on it given that I am now at home. I understand the fragility of the situation while still struggling to grasp the many opinions of those who I've been listening to. This isn't in an attempt to be complicit in my standing, but instead be able to understand the ideas you have known for years in a clear way.

>I can't change my conditioning
And that just wraps up this thread, have a good night and tell your boss the next time you see him what you said in this thread. If you want an opportunity to act then make one and deal with the consequences then.

I get it. You would rather that I tell you what you want to hear. But there's no point on an anonymous board. I am 21 and still subject to am intense amount of hormones and emotions. You cannot expect me to agree with you instantly because I have human limits. It takes more than two hours for a coming-of-age revelation which is formed through ideas and hardened by experience that I've yet had the opportunity to endure. I will certainly take away many points and also endure them through experience in a negative manner because I am still human and process emotions.

That all said, I can understand your frustration. Have a good night, I thank you for your company.