Hi, I'm a 21 yr/old software developer. I'm making 95k a year in a low cost of living place

Hi, I'm a 21 yr/old software developer. I'm making 95k a year in a low cost of living place.
I'm maxing out my 401k and IRA, spending 1500 for rent/utilities, and 1000 on necessities and entertainment, and I still have ~1500 leftover monthly.
Should I be investing the 1500 in brokerage, or should I consider just spending it on some fun shit, like getting a mortgage on a nice car or something?

Attached: araki.png (1076x1105, 3.06M)

Put it all into investments. Once you have about 20x your yearly expenses, you're financially free.

Why not both. Nice flexing, btw. Obvious bait, but if you're being sincere then I'm equally sincerely happy for you and your good standing in life.

Divide your budget and conquer both ideas at the same time. Also - do something good for people. People who are better off are better liked when they are humble.

If you can't think of anything then yeah just invest, but I would just buy a nice car with that, maybe a Tesla :)

How comes salaries for developers are so insane in the US? 95k $ is 75k £ and I thought being offered £30k ($38k) for a defence job for a junior straight out of uni was nuts

Not sure, but coming from Canada, I know US salaries are much better. 100k after a few years is not unheard of.

The only thing that can alter the facts a bit is if you do get the highest-paying jobs, you also have to pay the insane cost of living in the big tech cities. Rent alone will eat you alive

>this.

I'm 27 and make $135k a year but also live in NYC and pay $2500 a month for rent, which I split with my gf who actually makes more than me and is younger as well.

HSA if you're healthy and don't use your insurance a lot, otherwise yes taxable
if you like cars don't get a nice car, get a fun car
fun cars can be had for relatively cheap
don't buy a house, only brainlets will tell you to do that

What's an example of a fun car?

this ops young too so any risks are affordable.

miata
frs/brz
350z/370z
sti, wrx is boring
mustang gt

I want your life so bad OP
I dont even want to spend a ton of money. I just want to make enough to live by myself on a ramen budget and not have to juggle bills and live paycheck to paycheck.

£30k is good for a graduate job.

US salaries are higher in tech jobs. Old uni mate of mine worked in a CGI company in central London was earning about 65K in London - was headhunted and now moved to LA and making $220K a year and living expenses paid.

That's why I'm figuring out how much to save as soon as possible. I don't want to work. I got lucky and have a high paying job now, so the more I save and put away while I still have my youthful stamina is the more I have when I lose my fucking mind and have to quit.

Put spare cash into a bank account until you have at least 6 months living expenses. You won't get much interest but it will be safe and available for emergencies. After that put 75% of leftover money each month into a no-load index-linked mutual fund, and blow the remaining 25% on some outrageous gift to yourself

can u post some of your work? im trying to get into the field but im scared that I won't be good enough.

Attached: 1446689620118.png (274x187, 30K)

THISI MAGE IS CURSED DO NOT CLICK IT

It's all about getting lucky. The only work I've ever done are projects in college and a single, really shitty website to show that I know how SQL works.
If you can code something more impressive than a log-in screen, you should be able to talk it up on your resume enough to get an interview. Maybe not anywhere, but certainly at places that pay well enough.
When it comes to interviews, the industry really seems to be heading towards these leetcode style questions, so I'd recommend studying those. I fucking hate them so much and really only got my job because I got lucky and had seen the questions they asked before.

If you want, you can float your stuff to me: [email protected]
and I can see about helping you refine your resume/figure out a project to work on to break into the industry

25x your annual expenses is the figure I've seen used in articles about how much you should have for retirement.

This, im so fucking jealous of Americans. When I am done studying ill be happy If i can earn 40k euro a year in IT

good watch

I want to move back home to NYC sooner rather than later, so I'm probably going to stay here until I've hit 3 years, then move back with enough money and experience to leverage it into a better paying job and an actual house.