Sup Jow Forums I'm just looking for some solid interview pointers

Sup Jow Forums I'm just looking for some solid interview pointers.

I got some great advice from my dad for a suit but I feel his advice is a little outdated. He comes from the 'walk into a job' generation, but he has no idea how difficult it is to find work these days. You have to impress from the get go, and I'm not sure how to do that. I've been working as a streamer on Twitch but I want to make a leap into a career, Twitch is a really difficult environment and I was only making minimum wage off of doing it.

Anyways, hope y'all have some baller tips for me. Really need to get this one in the bag. First interview is at a tech startup, I figure they could use me with my expertise in public speaking.

Attached: jobinterview.jpg (1536x2048, 252K)

just be a neet

With a two-button, the lower button is left unbuttoned.

Based Frew

Dude my dad has the suit handled. Would really appreciate the job tips though. It'll be my first job y'know, and I'm pretty worried about it. I have anxiety and that can make putting myself out there for jobs tough.

Yo frew its ya boi cake owner im surprised to see you here

I'm the son of the CEO of a major medical business, and I've been told some things that absolutely must NOT happen during an interview: first, never EVER talk shit about a previous job, always word it as "wanting to move up in the world", not "it was a horrible job, I hate those fuckers". Second, try to keep bullshit to a minimum, if you are caught on a lie, it's over. Third, be enthusiastic, cordial and above all else, humble. Fourth, try to maintain eye contact at all times, don't let your eyes wander around the room.

If you come from a background in Twitch streaming, word it so it doesn't seem you are a manchild, most people (boomers) think that game streaming is something only a child does. Maybe say you have experience with audiences and you know shit about video encoding.

>my dad has the suit handled
Hopefully he recommends you get another tie. The patterns clash something awful.

I dunno man he handed me this and said it looks great, and he's been solidly employed for most of his life.

Man my Twitch channel is my crowning achievement, I can't just take that off of my resume.

Nice outfit desu

More concerned with that house decor. Do you live with your parents?

Why not mention twitch streaming as something to the effect of content creator or something to do with the self-produced. Then go into his ability to manage it, set and adhere to schedules, goals he met in regards to growth of his twitch and how, etc. He can definitely sell that as something good without directly naming twitch and then the person reading the resume can assume whatever sounds best to them.

I sort of talked shit about my last job and got an offer. Not sure but I think some companies want to feel better than the competition so sometimes it may help. Don't straight up sound ungrateful though. But some companies will ask you what you don't like about your current job.

What you on about?

Pro interviewee here. Never talk shit about current employer. Makes you look like a bad apple that nobody wants to employ. Say that there's not enough room for professional growth in your current company so you're searching for new opportunities.

For the OP, research what the company and position is. You're a great public speaker but is that relevant to the role? Keep everything positive. If they ask the harder questions like "Tell us about a time when you failed" you have to turn that negative into a positive. Some non devastating mistake you made due to your inexperience and you learned x from it and redesigned the procedure etc etc

Know thyself. Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses and how you're addressing the weaker areas. They will ask questions to test you and knowing the answer shows that you're mature and are willing to improve.

Lastly, if they ask a question that you can't answer straight away you didn't prepare well enough. Go home, learn from that and smash the next interview

This might be more applicable to more qualified jobs but here goes.

It depends on the interviewer. There are differences if you are talking to the manager personally or to HR/outsourced recruiters. I'll start with a few pointers concerning HR/recruitment.

How it basically works is the recruitment process is looking either for favourable personality traits or to disqualify unfavourable personality traits. Such as:
>Extravertion
>Reliability
>Honesty
>Teamplayer
>Openness/creativity
as opposed to
>Dishonesty
>Carelessness
>Introversion

Most important is to always be consistent in your answers. They often use long and stupid questionnaires (agree/disagree) where it is normal to have similar questions tied to the same trait, but far apart and phrased differently as to hint you to a "right" answer. If you always pick the "right," positive sounding answer you might score very high on say both outgoing and reserved. This discrepancy will show dishonesty. So keep that in mind. I think these methods are utter bullshit but anyway. Most are originally based on the big five personality traits which you can google but keep in mind that big five was originally for leadership/management but at least a few of those traits can be expected.

So keep that in mind if you are talking to HR, they are nearly always looking for the person who exhibits most of a pre-set number of traits.

Disregarding the HR bullshit I will write a little about what I look for when hiring people. Be yourself, honest, assertive and humble. For me, the interview is more to see that it's a normal dude or girl. The resumé is more important, and most of all references. Never mention or put in your resumé a job you had if you are not confident the boss will put in a good word for you. I will get in contact with all the places you've mentioned for the past 5 years regardless of whether you gave me the contact information to the employer or not. If you used to be tardy at your last job I will find out and I will not hire you.

Hiring young people without much experience is always a risk so be prepared to try many times. It doesn't have to mean much of anything when you don't get a job, it's alot about having luck and being in the right place at the right time. Keep trying.

I disagree with turning a negative into a positive. Be honest, but don't say anything that wouldn't make yourself want to hire you. I internally cringe everytime I hear someone say some google:d "How to conduct yourself on an interview" line like "my weakness is that sometimes I maybe work too much" or some such nonsense.

In your case a weakness might be lack of prior work experience in a similar workplace.

This is very good advice. But you shouldn't try to hide that you did twitch streaming or be obtuse about it. You can write "online content creator" or "online streamer" or something but be plain if they ask you about it. Put some more information in there too for people to understand if they are too old, ex number of followers, regularity of updates etc
>Self-employed as online video content creator with and audience of xxx followers. Created daily content on a rigorous schedule. Started in may 18 and in oct 19 reached the goal I set of having it as my primary source of income. Continued with this full-time until...
etc

Don't go overboard with this eye contact advice. I once interviewed to a guy who literally didn't blink for ten minutes. Creepy as hell. Just be normal.

And the suit looks fine. Unless you are applying for a job at Hugo Boss they will just mentally acknowledge that you are wearing a suit which means you are trying and you are taking this seriously.

Change the damn tie, its pattern clashes with the suit, color is fine just wear a plain one, no patterns

Dude, your dad sounds like an out of touch Boomer that doesn't know a thing about current fashion. You look like a child wearing your dad's oversized suit. If you're going for the disheveled used-carsalesman look, you're killing it.

Just like people companies have weaknesses. Not every company sees themselves as the same as competition. If it is a job located far away maybe they want to know you won't just go back to your old company if you don't like it at this one. It's not always bad to say something negative about your current company at least if you phrase it in a reasonable way (so don't say your boss is a dick).

Man, get a better looking suit. And for the love if God unbutton the second button.

All you have to do is walk in there and ask to see the manager. Then you look them straight in the eyes, give them a firm handshake, and tell them you're the man for the job.

i'll bite
your suit sucks also that tie doesnt go with that suit.
your dad has shit taste also did you even go to college?

>collar gap
>both jacket buttons buttoned
>sleeves too long
>shirt button undone
>dreadful tie knot with no dimple

Also hard to tell from the angle but it looks like the shoulders are too big.

0/10 hopefully security see you for the degenerate poorfaggot you are and stop you at the door.

Is this your dad? Also job interviews are easy as shit. Why do so many autists ask for help with them?

Attached: 350D80F9-8531-4601-BDCB-2E25FC705DDB.png (500x863, 140K)

COVER LETTER

Very important. Also if they interview you drop off or mail in a thankyou letter a few days later, even if you already know you are not getting the job.

>If they ask the harder questions like "Tell us about a time when you failed" you have to turn that negative into a positive.
I've had a pretty tough time up until now, Twitch is whack y'all. You'd be surprised how many people just want to see you fail on there.

Oh man you guys are mean, I went to college 6 times but never completed the courses. I couldn't find the right fit y'know, and I felt like doing a degree that wasn't for me was pointless. I kinda blame outside pressure for convincing me that I NEED a degree, when I should just be happy with my current successes.

If the suit is that bad, do you think I should set a donation goal? I don't know what I'd even buy if I went suit shopping. I honestly thought this looked pretty good.

Seconding this.

Any factory would take you in a heartbeat dude. Theyre always short on people.

It looks great if you're not an effeminate zoomer with a shit hair cut and have an excess of confidence and swagger.

And you probably have shit posture.

You're like an austin powers cosplayer

>the suit is that bad, do you think I should set a donation goal? I don't know what I'd even buy if I went suit shopping. I honestly thought this looked pretty good.

Use Google, dummy.

A suit needs to fit in the collar and shoulders as a tailor cant fix that, get something that fits in those areas and get a good tailor to take the chest in and sleeves up as needed. The suit in your OP pic belongs in the trash as it cant be fixed to fit your body type. A suit doesnt need to be expensive, just avoid shit that has polyester in it.

Think of the company. You're interviewing at a tech startup, for most positions a suit is likely unnecessary or could even be a hindrance ("no cultural fit"). Most of your would be coworkers are in oversized t-shirts (unless fintech). A white or light blue oxford shirt with chino pants or raw (non bleached) denims will serve you well, ideally with a pair of leather shoes and a color matching belt.

For older more established companies a suit could be useful. However remember that suits are classic men's wear, not costumes. What you don't want is looking disguised and fake because it will make you uncomfortable and under perform on the interview on top of looking like a clown or a vulgar "poor man's idea of a rich man". If you're shopping for a suit start with the most normal 2 buttons navy or grey suit (no peak lapel, or double breasted, or eccentric color / pattern) in the right shoulder size and get it tailored to your measures to have a solid foundation to build upon. Add a white broadcloth shirt, a pair of black oxfords and any silk tie with subdued pattern for your suit starter pack. You can progress to more interesting styles when you feel comfortable with that basic suit. If you live in or near a big city SuitSupply is excellent value and will often tailor it on the spot for you.

On the interview itself bring a notepad and pen so you don't forget what they tell you and to signal you're serious about it. You can also write down beforehand a couple questions about the company to ask on the interview, which again will make you look prepared and help you fill blanks.

To guide you for the questions you could ask in the case of your tech startup, ask yourself how this company gets money : who are the VC ? how active are they ? who else do they have in portfolio ? what is the business plan ? how do you contribute personally to this plan ? what about customers / suppliers / competitors / substitutes ?

Have fun.

Single best piece of advice: Do some research on the company in advance. Google them, read financial news about them, read their annual report.

They're bound to ask "Why do you want to work with us?" You'll score points if you can say something like "I know you're about to merge with Company X and I think that would open up real opportunities in my department"

Wow that's super useful advice, you think the suit is too much? I just want to look smart. I'm gonna take a look at some of those stores, but I don't wanna spend money out. Trying to get a job to make money, not make money to get a job y'know. Y'all have given me some things to think about. I'm tempted to just stick with what I've got though, I don't think I'll look any better than this without spending out the big bills.

I don't get it, what did I ever do to you? Why are you trying to hurt my feelings?