I obsess about climate change, adv. I'm so depressed about it, that I'm considering suicide to escape the future...

I obsess about climate change, adv. I'm so depressed about it, that I'm considering suicide to escape the future. We re all going to die and live like animals, scrounging for food in an age of unprecedented barbarism and savagery. The worst part is I feel like there is nothing I can do to stop it, besides vote I guess I don't know.

How to cope?

Attached: image.jpg (321x458, 15K)

no need to kill yourself. you can be a source of practical change.

take a break from the climate change articles, podcasts, and videos for a while. There's other pressing issues to obsess over anyways.

watch First Reformed

I feel like no matter what I do, it won't be Anyang that can really make a difference. Even if I got 1,000 people to,change their lifestyles it wouldn't. do shit.

how do you know that?
ALSO, let's say you know that. you get to be free of the burden of trying to improve the environment. now you have all the free time you need to dive into some other interests.

Jesus H Christ. All this propaganda has gotten you worked up into such a lather you're considering suicide. Here's the facts. Governments push these sort of things to keep you good and scared, clamoring for them to come and save the day. It's how power is consolidated in the hands of a few. Huge mega corps love it too because new regulations actually can benefit them by keeping up and coming businesses from ever being able to compete due to the increased cost of business. Look, the earth has went through incredible changes all throughout its history, in the grand scheme of things we are actually living in a fairly cold period of time. Life will go on, humans will adapt to what changes may come, and rest assured, no matter how much we virtue signal here in the states and in Europe, China and India give no fucks. You're being manipulated.

Attached: E3DC928F-FAF2-459C-BB17-4F13446343F2.jpg (960x638, 67K)

I want to believe you user, but when you have almost every scientific org agreeing that humanity may be extinct in the next century it's hard to just write it off as a conspiracy.

Also, why do you say China and India don't care?

What makes you depressed exactly Op?

>escape the future
Yeah, don't we all wanna. But if we went to the past we'd fuck that up too and we already fuck up the present.

There may be some scientific organizations saying that, but I would hardly say that most agree we're all gonna be dead in 100 years. There's plenty of scientists that would say that it's absolutely ridiculous. Something you have to consider...most of these studies are done with government grants. There is a bit of a perverse incentive to keep the narrative going. If you conclude that everything is going to be OK, well, the money dries up. There's been examples of this happening, but of course you're not going to hear about it on CNN. I've been hearing about this crap since I was a little kid in the early 90s. It's always "in x years new York will be underwater!" Year X comes and goes, and of course nothing happens. Hell they were harping on this crap in the 80s even, saying that we are doomed by the year 2000. It's nonsense. The goal posts are constantly moving. As for China and India? Have you seen the air quality they've got? You think they're really doing jack shit about their CO2 emissions? Nah, not happening. If you want to be concerned about the environment, worry about the chemicals leaching into our water supply from pesticides and pharmaceuticals.

Only us humans can be so egotistical and self-centered to believe that a mere 300 years of burning fossil fuels, pollution, and our consumerist society can so negatively affect a planet that has been around for 4.5 billion years.

Look, yoh need to understand something. It's far more likely that you are being lied and manipulated to by our corporate overloads who have their hands in the pockets of many researchers and scientists, than the Earth dying. This motherfucking globe was bombarded with asteroids dude...she's a fucking beast and will outlive us all.

The planet is actually cooling btw.

large corporations are to blame the most but they put the blame on the little guy.

It's pretty much a tax grab.

yeah look what happened with those moths during the industrial revolution. They adapted to the conditions. It happens, people will adapt and so will all life.

We’ll probably not be affected so much. Our kids, and especially our kid’s kids, will feel it. But we’ll just have to adapt. Climate will be pretty great for the most part in the northern hemisphere, but the trade off is that we’ll have to deal with an unprecedented amount of refugees from the southern hemisphere

damn we’re lucky to be graced with these genius climate scientists ITT

Or we can not let them in. We have no obligation to.

It's the overwhelming majority, not 'some'

So you prefer to just take what you're told at face value and accept it as truth? How good is your understanding of climate science?

Overwhelming majority believes we'll be dead in 100 years? I'd really like to see this "overwhelming majority".

>It's far more likely
It isn't.

>than the Earth dying
Of course the planet will persist, the issue at hand here is its habitability.

You're actually a brainlet.

Amazing people here wou,d rather trust their retarded thought process than actual scientists with phds

As if "climate science" isn't heavily politicized. Ever notice it's always how YOU can lower your co2 emissions, but nobody gives a shit about the container ship running on bunker oil that will put out insane amounts of co2 on a single trip across the pacific?

Cherry picking. What about all the things that haven't adapted, and are thus extinct, which you're ignoring?

>Ever notice it's always how YOU can lower your co2 emissions, but nobody gives a shit about...
It isn't and they do. You think this because you base your understanding on news headlines and pop science.

Attached: 4BAB62DF-7866-4F94-9738-85086ECC71F7.gif (500x299, 26K)

It’s pretty good, seeing as I’m an earth scientist. I don’t specialize in climate but I know how to think critically about data and sources, a skill you seem to lack.

Wow a graph that’s intentionally zoomed out to obfuscate the data that actually matters, the time when humans have existed

Shit I’m a retard, we’ve been around for 200k years.

How much time do we have and do you think we can survive?

Well let's zoom out some more.

Attached: CF915B3D-D091-4F33-8040-6601C27760D2.png (768x465, 161K)