Generation X

Are there any Gen Xers on Jow Forums that can share what its like being part of the X generation?
What was it like growing up in the '80s and coming of age in the '90s?
What do you think of society and politics these days compared to decades past?
What do you see the future holding for Gen X as they take the place of Booomers in society?

Attached: nirv.jpg (990x1260, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/azh5SPmcJ_A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are there any Gen Xers on Jow Forums that can share what its like being part of the X generation?
Yes, 41 here
>What was it like growing up in the '80s and coming of age in the '90s?
Not much different than now, just play outside more, no cell phones, no instant downloads etc, Sat morning cartoons were the goat!
>What do you think of society and politics these days compared to decades past?
It's honestly all just a show, it hasn't changed one bit. Same episodes, just a bigger budget
>What do you see the future holding for Gen X as they take the place of Booomers in society?
Idk, Leaders in the new world after massive revolution? Or ya know, nothing.

>Leaders in the new world after massive revolution? Or ya know, nothing.
Do you think its possible millennials will step up and take charge instead of gen x as the Boomers leave power?

>You forgot about the 70s
>They were kind of wierd
>Biggest thing I remember is Charlie's Angels and Smoky and the Bandit
>UFOs were a big deal, too
>Stayed outside a lot
>Rode bikes everywhere
>Bicentennial was a big deal
>Forgot about Three's Company
>Oh, and Jaws
>And double exposure pictures
>Did I mention Star Wars?
>80's
>Cool music
>Biggest concern was thermonuclear war
>going to the mall
>going to arcade
>playing 2600
>friend had intellivision
>other friend had colecovison
>staying up late on Friday night watching Night Flight
>making VHS tape full of nude scenes
>Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High
>old school satellite TV (big dish) had American XXXtascy
>Chernobyl
>Wall came down
>guess we'll actually live past 20
>90s
>Two songs stand out, Cut Your Hair by Pavement and Undone by Weazer
>Seinfeld
>Friends
>Then Ruby Ridge and Waco
>Columbine
>Virginia Tech, when was that?
>Spent a lot of time working
>Things seemed to be as good as they could get
I liked everything I experienced until 9-11.
Everything since then has been clown world.

Born in '81 so I don't know what I am. All I know is that I thought I'd seen it all during the Bush years. What's going on now is hellish insanity. I've always been a centrist (voted for Kerry, then Obama, then sat out 2012), but they pushed me to the far right in my old age. My version of the 80s was perfect since I was just a kid. The 90s weren't bad, just boring, and I wasn't political at all. I do miss metal being relevant though.

Anything is possible.
Honestly tho, I don't think the revolution generation has been born yet. Millinials as a whole do not seem to give much hope of anything from them, except for to raise that generation.

Mouse utopia, look that up, Millinials are already on track to facilitate the end phase of that experiment.

Idk, id like to think there will be some challenge, so defining event that happens in my lifetime, and I can take part in it.
But, I really don't think there is going to be such an event. At least human driven. Now, mother nature can deliver several very probable events that WILL change the world as we know it.
Yellowstone
Another kerrington event
Apophis may very well hit us in 2030 something.
And currently the North pole is in Siberia.
The last one, we have no viable data on how it will affect the earth, but it certainly will affect our technology in some way. Pole shift b.t.w.
An alien invasion would be my favorite, but, there is no valid indication that will happen, unlike the other three.

Virginia Tech shooting was 2007. I'd forgotten all about it and had to look it up. Mass shootings are so commonplace these days they all just blend together.

Born in 77.
It was great as a kid everyone had full auto rifles and cherry bombs on their trucks.
The 3 wheelers hurt us as kids though, and during HS the AIDs scare kept us from getting enough raw dog pussy.
I even got to fuck one of the cute Teacher aids in the fucking bathroom at school.
Metallica shows, Pantera.
It was a good time to grow up, and X's are the last of the tough generation, in fact X's are tougher than boomers and more honest, and we share.

Attached: ankle breaker.jpg (639x426, 37K)

I'm millennial but experienced my pre-teen years in the 90s it was a pretty comfy era

80's and 90's sucked for me because I had a dog shit childhood around 80 iq retard boomers. Politics has always been weak lies to satiate morons. GenX doesn't have jack shit, we're all just waiting to torture boomers and cause general mayhem when the system collapses. Some of the millenial and Gen z trends I'm seeing are encouraging, some signs of intelligence. For example, quitting shitty jobs without notice. Why did it take a fucking worldwide network to get people to understand that fucking tyrants is a good thing? Rejection of marriage, not supporting shitty scam companies, automatically rejecting media bullshit, all good things. Fucking great things. Long live the awakened minds of today. Fire up the ovens, motherfuckers!

In some ways it's less degenerate now. For instance, I remember watching rated R movies at friends houses when I was pretty young. Saw my first tits at 7 watching Purple Rain while bros parents were sitting right there with us.

Awful. The wonderful sunlit days of the 80s might as well have been a fever dream hallucination by 1995. I saw all the things Pol complains about currently back then and felt impotent to do anything. Worse, I was in the underground metal scene which was full of misanthropic degenerates, so I unwittingly probably helped the decline. What seemed like edgy fun at the fringes of society slowly became much more mainstream. The type of violence and sick humor and political radicalism that I just assumed would vanish as everyone grew up and out just got entrenched in society even more.
Sorry, boys. I did often try and talk about these issues that plague us now back then, but only succeeded in being “that guy.” So, I gave up. I’m not pouring my heart out to motivate people to fight for their existence to get eyerolls. The nihilism and cynicism of that generation probably did more damage than niggers. Hopefully my kids will be conservative enough to hang me and the rest of rhe genxers for our failure.

More people have been killed by lightning since the 60s, than have died in mass shootings. Keep that brainwashed media influenced dumb shit to yourself.

Why do so many gen x men base their masculinity around how much weed and alcohol they can consume?

>Mouse utopia
Just read about it. That's some fucked up shit. I think I'd prefer a cataclysmic natural event instead. A big asteroid crashing into Yellowstone setting off an eruption coinciding with a pole shift and a kerrington event would be top tier.

Made me realize the internet brought us uber feminism. I just hope it brings us sexbots before it is too late.

Born in 1970. Things were simpler, people poorer, but happier. We witnessed a lot of assasinations/attempts. Space shuttles and science but all under the shadow of a mushroom cloud. We had low expectations because we were all going to get vaporized at any minute. We lived in the moment. We lived for the now. We embraced comedy to distract us from the impending flash of light that could occur at any moment. Everything else is gravy.

i remember feeling much more free. you didn't have to explain yourself to everyone.

Attached: 111D530157582057.jpg (500x500, 93K)

I think the millenial generation should be divided with one group like 82-92 and the other 93-2001.

that is the gayest picture i've ever seen

We're fucked and have always been fucked. Yeah the degeneracy is worse now and politics are laughably retarded. I'm convinced people are getting dumber.

I was THERE dude.

80's were good for me because that was my school years...I personally hated the 90's in college. That whole 'Alternative' rock thing was awful. Every average small town kid pretending to be some sort of edgy waster, with that awful angsty music. I don't miss it at all.

It was actually the beginning of the whole leftist SJW thing... nirvana and the 1000 terrible clone bands they spawned.

I have no warm feeling for that period, but maybe it's just me.

Stop acting jaded you retard. Mass shootings happen more often now and that is fact. You can shove your off topic lightening statistic up your ass. It changes nothing in this line of conversation.

>Born in '81 so I don't know what I am
Lol you're a millennial. Don't worry, so am I.

The 80s were gay. things improved slightly in the 90s but then you had 9/11, britney spears and mumford & sons.

You'd have hated it, user
>Pay for pr0n
>No NEETbux
>VCR was garbage
Stay focused on the future
>The past is gone

Can’t answer that other than this was the “value” imprinted over that generation. Essentially how degenerate you could be translated to being hypermasculine. All pop culture encoded it further, as movies and music that featured increasingly debased behavior was held up for examples to aspire to. Since they were rewarded with capital- the only metric we were taught had any value- that seemed to be the final stamp of approval.

Born in '74. I hated Nirvana.

>more family unity
>more white
>less explaining and judgement

'92 here and there are good things from then to take forward.

Gen x are all construction workers

Marketers have broken "millennials" into two distinct cohorts Gen Y.1 and Gen Y.2 and use different marketing strategies for them.

It was great. I'd give anything to be an 80's kid again.

Born in 69. The 80's were incredible. Living with the threat of being nuked daily...cocaine-fueled gunfights at the circle-k via random central Americans.., big hair blonde bimbos with natural titties, high heels and baby-doll socks...*sigh*...blowjobs, coke and mexican ditch-weed by the compressed brick. Good times.

I was born in 91 what am I? What’s my sign? You guys are literally larping faggots. God this board is so cucked.

I'm not jaded at all you insufferable concern troll. Mass shootings are a non issue and only ever reported so much so a "guns is bad mkay" narrative can be pushed. And saying dumb shit like a good programed goy that you are only makes you look like a good dumb goy. Gun violence period is a non issue massivley overshadowed by far higher numbers of casualties due to other man made means.
Stop being ignorant, or fucking leave.

>Are there any Gen Xers on Jow Forums that can share what its like being part of the X generation?
Whatever.
>What was it like growing up in the '80s and coming of age in the '90s?
Cold War, cults, heavy metal and sci-fi leading to raves, computers and early web development. Fucking crazy art girls.
>What do you think of society and politics these days compared to decades past?
It's all so tedious.
>What do you see the future holding for Gen X as they take the place of Booomers in society?
We are to small to replace the Boomers. Millenials will replace them but we'll outlive all of them. Zoomers are our only hope.

Makes sense. Us older millennials are quite a bit different than the younger ones.

>I was born in 91 what am I? What’s my sign?
You kind of a dumb nigger I think.

90s were peak civilization

You're a faggot, but from the looks of things you've already been told that by everyone your whole life.

Bands were much more mysterious in the pre-internet days. I didn't listen to Slayer for the longest time because I thought they were real Satanists.

Yeah but one thing brings you together. Entitlement.

t. old Gen X'er

Totally different experience for the younger ones post 80s.

Attached: clown world.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

Me and friends from high school used to go out and beat faggots with bats. My favorite was hitting them with a fiberglass CB antenna.
We also used to shoot hookers and bums with paintball guns. Southwest Detroit used to be our stomping grounds. Street racr behind the greyhound bus station. Hit up 8 block for weed.
Life before 9-11 was better

Attached: IMG_9611.jpg (2250x3000, 940K)

Millennials will probably take a lot of visible leadership positions...but most of the real work will be done by Gen Z and the surviving Gen Xers.

>t. projecting idiot
Only concern troll here is (you) faggot. Mass shootings happen on the regular these days and I don't give a fuck so they all blend together. Why are you so triggered by this? Can you answer without projecting the standard gun nut counter narrative conspiracy to liberal media?

>That whole 'Alternative' rock thing was awful. Every average small town kid pretending to be some sort of edgy waster, with that awful angsty music. I don't miss it at all.
>It was actually the beginning of the whole leftist SJW thing... nirvana and the 1000 terrible clone bands they spawned.
That's because you're a fucking leaf.

I larger cities of America we had hair metal and gangster rape. Thank god for grunge or they would of raped us to death for looking like females. There was nothing SJW to grunge. That all started with gutter-punks and 2001.

Attached: hairspay.jpg (480x360, 31K)

All's I know about Gen X is that they are WAY into music and specific bands and artists. They can prattle on about them for hours like they're writing a biography.

34. Not Gen X but I did grow up in the 90s.
>Bought blank VCRs to record WWF/WWE, cartoons, and shows. Watched them over and over
>AOL was the tech revolution. It was surreal to chat
>Parents spanked me which I now appreciate
>Played outside a lot more. Sleepovers
>N64 multi-player games like Goldeneye and Mario Kart was the thing to look forward to with friends on weekends
>Oh yea, WWF Attitude Era

Pre-9/11 was the best to grow up. (((Al Qaeda))) truly won.

Not really. No generation has ever been more entitled than the baby boomers. They had everything served to them on a silver platter by their WW2 generation parents, and they sure as hell took it all.

When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural.

>Mass shootings happen on the regular these days
90s had them too, in my school even, but it wasn't government agents, it was blacks/hispanics/asians so that was perfectly OK since they're a repressed minority-majority.

Your faggy fake news shootings are no different than drive-bys in the 90s except they don't make 'cool' MTV videos promoting it. Instead its hipster Disney kids going to rallies and making snarky faces

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1600x1066, 80K)

Attached: 1512432233360.jpg (385x385, 27K)

kek, true

He looks like Bart Simpson

>90s were peak civilization
peak destruction. It was worst than now but less optics

Attached: 1547853783625.jpg (500x500, 73K)

Fuck I see the happy merchant in every pic now

Can't really blame them, music was great through the 70s, 80s, 90s.

Fucking small town rednecks got to live like Boomers. I'm jelly!

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (400x425, 26K)

You got the whole X-er experience in one post except shitty sitcoms and after school specials.

Attached: D7092A6D-A4D7-4167-878F-9B0F603178C8.jpg (500x375, 60K)

...The Dunning Kruger is strong with you. Imma help.
Step one. STOP CONSUMING MSM
Step two...profit. It's that easy.
30,000 deaths due to firearms every year (avg)
That includes JH and suicides. Out of 350 MILLION PEOPLE.
That gives you a 0.003% chance of being killed by a firearm.
But wait! ONLY if you are suicidal, a cop, in a gang, or in or near a black neighborhood. Given that firearms are used about one million..that's ONE MILLION times in defense of self and others every year. That gives me almost a 1/3 chance of saving my life or the life of others.
I'll take that 1/3 at a cost of a 0.003% chance of being killed by one.
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE that is anti firearm for any reason is either just retarded, easily manipulated, or they have an agenda.
Which are you?

No he's right, but he's like 50yrs old. Older gen-Xrs are fucking boomer-light.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x902, 49K)

And also expensive. $20 CDs were common for years.

I'm older gen X so I was little in the 70s, slightly different viewpoint.
>>> can share what its like being part of the X generation?
Generally, fuck generations. Having seen millenials I can really see how scattered we are as a gen.
>>>>What was it like growing up in the '80s and coming of age in the '90s?
While it had its moments, we were dealing with a crumbling society and boomers at their highest earning years, meaning fuck gen X. We never got anywhere in the traditional world. And nothing else was set up yet.
>>>What do you think of society and politics these days compared to decades past?
Here we all thought it was going to blow up with nukes. Turns out we were way the fuck wrong and it'll be some Cultural Revolution/race war. I don't think any of it can be stopped.
>>>What do you see the future holding for Gen X as they take the place of Booomers in society?
Back in the 70s there were sitcoms with old people eating cat food they were so fucking poor. Its like a prophesy. Not for everyone, no, but there'll be a serious number of destitute Xers, especially when all of the strife kicks off. The smarter ones will head for the hills or other countries. They ought to do it now but I understand obligations and shit.

We thought it was hopeless, but compared to what’s it like today it was flowers and fucking sunshine.

It was annoying. Like being between two worlds. Parents' generation had factory jobs, we didn't but computers weren't really a thing yet either. The music was good, that's about it. I'm impressed by the younger generations btw. Pretty sharp.

No argument there. My playlist is all 70s, 80s and 90s rock and metal.

And, you know, autistic Jow Forums shit like medieval Lithuanian folk music.

>I liked everything I experienced until 9-11.
>Everything since then has been clown world.
So much this.

Attached: useme.jpg (498x500, 73K)

>autistic Jow Forums shit like medieval Lithuanian folk music
intrigued
got links?

>gangster rape
Those were the days *sips*

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com (4).jpg (360x360, 17K)

The entire generation was given depression PTSD that day. I think that’s partially why we’re so fucked now.

Attached: C1924A26-EBBE-4102-9ADD-77A7572E4718.jpg (1020x511, 51K)

biggest thing is that i straddled the pre-internet and internet ages.

two different worlds, societies and states of consciousness.

able to live in the present day but not have a mind turned into complete mush and shit by the domination of all verticles of life by social media and phones.

though it if hard work to maintain oneself from being pulled into that black hole of inanity.

Attached: selfie.jpg (199x200, 5K)

>there'll be a serious number of destitute Xers, especially when all of the strife kicks off. The smarter ones will head for the hills or other countries. They ought to do it now but I understand obligations and shit.
It'd be better if we'd just had a good old nuclear exchange with the Soviets.

I agree. Anything is better than this cultural revolution bullshit that’s sleeping through society. I’d give anything just to see a bright light and then nothing.

This, honestly even just going on Jow Forums or Reddit changes your whole perception of the world.

I did a detox from internet for seven days, including TV, and I was just sat around on my couch in the evenings. So quiet. I went for some walks at night and I could see people's TV sets flickering in their front rooms behind curtains, nobody really in the real world. It was surreal.

Of course I broke eventually.

Nah. There is a huge difference between gang banging and mass shootings. One is crime related turf war the other is insanity related plain and simple. You are just letting the media and various conspiracies live rent free in your head is the issue here it seems.

I'll be 45 this year. I really thought one country would have nuked another by now.

gayer than this?

Attached: images.jpg (252x200, 7K)

Someone used to call in bomb threats once a month at my school just so we could get out of class for an hour.

It's difficult admitting and accepting you've been lied to.
To realize your parents don't give one shit or iota about you.
Some of us tried to do better. Some did a continuation

Better to admit the truth and move forward than to continue the lies.

>There was nothing SJW to grunge
Watch a Nirvana interview, old man.

Born in 69. Grew up in the end of the Cold War, when we always half-expected to die in nuclear fire without more than a few minutes warning, if that. Not that we thought about it all the time, but I think it led to a certain casual attitude about the future. We just couldn't take it too seriously.
Men were still men and women were women, even though feminism was growing. There were no open gays on TV, and not many that hinted at it either. We didn't even know Elton John was gay yet.
Many families still had 1 TV and one phone, so the family watched TV together and if you wanted to make a call you might have to wait your turn. Long-distance calls were expensive, so you didn't call outside your local area except for special occasions or needs.
Home computers were usually just used for games. Very few people connected to anything, and then just bulletin boards (BBSs). Cameras required film, and except for Polaroids, that meant taking the film cartridge out when it was full of maybe 12 or 24 pictures, taking it to a film shop or sending it in the mail, and getting your negatives and prints back later. If you wanted more copies of a picture, you paid for them.

>90s were worse then today
Wrong.

>autistic Jow Forums shit like medieval Lithuanian folk music.
Post some

And one more thing I've noticed is their low political/civic but high personal and local engagement. They are people persons, basically. There's a distinct lack of neuroticism and/or anxiety in their generation. They have political views but their immediate surroundings such as friends and the work place occupy most of their thoughts and lives. They're probably the last generation we're going to have who will run basic civic institutions. Milennials will volunteer for fashionable causes. Gen X-ers volunteer at the local library, alongside boomer retirees.

>projecting
Go be a retarded nigger somewhere else.

Music in the 80s was fun, from bubblegum pop to rock. Music in the 90s was way up its own ass.

>Back in the 70s there were sitcoms with old people eating cat food they were so fucking poor.
Hey! I remember that episode of "Good Times"
And when the lady came over dinner and brought a casserole all the kids were afraid she made it with cat food. Very surreal too, they never came right out and said it, they just avoided the dish. She noticed and very calmly and respectfully told them not too worry, that she spent real money because they were nice enough to invite her and don't want to feed them cat food. But yeah she was so poor she had to eat it.
Fuck...I miss those types of black people.

Gen X-er here. When I was young I thought the boomers were full of shit and the "greatest generation" were overrated. Now I KNOW millennials are cum guggling faggots, the boomers are just naive sheep, and the "greatest generation" are who we wish we were.

Good music
Being poor was cool
Atari
Apple
IBM computers
Then the clones everyone made computers
Regan and Grenada
Knight rider/ Berlin Wall
Ireland at war bombing everything two churches
U2
The crow
Molly ringwall
Happy days
Mr meigoe
Bruce lee on Saturday mornings
Ninjas
Russia and USA fighting
The USA and Russia get along
Cuba sends convicts to Miami drug war
Miami vise
Battle star glacta
No spell check
Brick phone
Star Wars
Crazy hair
Crazy clothes
Casual sex
Rock music
Goth
Garbage pale kids
Rad
Bmx bandits
Road warrior
American gladiator
Wwf
Dos
C+
Gangs colors
Biker gangs
Italian Mob
Irish mob
Asian mob
Aferican mob
Spanish mob
TV dinner
Modem to hard to explain look it up
People had privacy
Less laws
X games
Freestyle
Breakdancing
Rubic cube
Tetris from Russia
Mail order bride were big
Cocane
Lot more I don’t remember or just trying to forget about it

youtu.be/azh5SPmcJ_A

>I got nothing and can't refute him, so I'll just repeat what I said earlier, even tho I have no idea what it means, that'll work!
No.

Faries Buller day off
Got everyone into hacking
Chick chick awww bump bump

Mmmmmm bow bow, chica chichaa chica chichaa Mmmmm bow bow.

Debbie does Dallas, I remember that song.

77 here. As a kid everyone had bmx bikes and you would ride around with the other neighborhood kids till the streetlights came on.

Sci-fi, space and crappy horror movies donimated the video rental store. Betamax then VHS

Everyone wanted to be a punk rocker or a breakdancer.

You would spend all your lawnmowing money on arcade machines, sports cards, cassettes,comic books etc...

Everyone got super preppy towards the late 80s and then grunge hit in early 90s so dudes went from guess jeans and coke sweaters to flannels and dr. Marten boots overnight.

MTV had a huge influence on culture.

Prodigy, compuserve and aol internet. Mainly just news and chatrooms in the early days.

It seems like degenerates and sjw types were always there, its just that no one paid any attention to them and they didnt have a platform like they do now.

The late 90s kinda sucked. I spent most of that time listening to old punk records, shit that I missed out on as a kid.

I never realized what an absolute madman he was until I got older.

Attached: 6.jpg (2448x3264, 664K)

hail eris

Benny hill
Fabulous