I don't know the term for this

I'm getting a feeling that I just wanna work and watch movies, play video games, and just not do anything after. I don't want to be a shut-in, like I'd wanna have friends and parties but I don't wanna accomplish anything right now, nothing like make a million dollars in my career or create an Oscar winning movie.

I just want a job with healthcare, an apartment, and like two years of my life where I do nothing after work. I know I'll be happy and I know I'm capable of accomplishing a lot but I just want two years where I do nothing, or not do nothing but do whatever I want but not worry about being the most successful or my 30 years plan. Does anyone know what this is called? Has anyone done this, just sort of lived to live and then after a while went back to trying to chase their dreams?

Attached: 0f6.jpg (1803x1351, 388K)

Free spirit? But yeah do it fuck it, that’s what I’m probably gonna do after school

>What's that called
The life of basically the massive majority of people. There is nothing special or groundbreaking about what you're posting. That's how people live.
You don't have enough energy ans mental focus to non stop chase you dreams, and with budgeting and financing, you don't have enough money to do anything other than stay in most of the week and do what pleases you alone with the occasional social encounter.
That's being alive, yo.

I'll give you this. You're one up on people for wanting it in the first place. Many destroy their lives thinking they can balance an excessive social life with work and living.

I'm so not used to it though, which is why it's confusing because I'm trying to google advice about this like "want boring life" but it's all posts about people trying to escape that life. everything up until graduating college was about chasing my dreams and constantly reaching for really high goals and now I just wanna have a while where I just watch the movies and play the video games I want to after work. I have a huge swath of games and movies and shows I wanna watch and I want to just get an office job where I can clock in and out and go home and not think about my career projectory. To me this sounds really bad, based on what I've been told my whole life. But I'm thinking I can generally pick that back up when I'm more rested from this brief period of just enjoying being alive. Do you have any recommendations for jobs for this? I have a bio degree so I'm just finishing a seasonal job now looking for more stable work.

I have a BA and wound up in trades. I make good money and do what I want. Day to day.

>Everyone else trying to escape
>My whole life I had high goals

That's kind of a product of our system and education. You're taught from a young age you have to be the best at something, and then with social media you're bombarded with everyone doing awesome shit, but that life is not sustainable.
People get into the sedimentary lifestyle and just panic about it.
Don't get me wrong, you can't be a hermit. That isn't healthy either.
But you do not have to be remarkable. You need food, shelter and community. That's pretty much it.

There was a documentary I watched called happy where they went to the happiest places in the world. On one side of the scale there was Denmark, the happiest country in the world, and the other side was I kid you not a fucking shit slum in India. (Also a bayou in Louisiana and other places but that's beside the point)
The only common thing was the people were able to survive, and they were connected. Family and friends were around them. That's. It.

>Does anyone know what this is called?
It's called apathy
>Has anyone done this, just sort of lived to live and then after a while went back to trying to chase their dreams?
Weirdly, I'm the perfect case example. I was-
>32 years old, living alone with no job, no income, no friends or social circle, no prospects, no future, jerking off and playing video games for the majority of almost every day

I learned I'd become depressed and treated myself by joining a gym, getting regular sunshine, regular social interaction, management of stress, etc. I'm now-
>34, still living alone but regularly social, the strongest guy in my gym in both olympic lifting and powerlifting, the healthiest I've ever been in my life, have successfully launched two successful businesses, have a girlfriend and we travel to a country every 2nd month, have prospects and things I'm working towards, etc

Best advice I can give to you is to identify why you're apathetic and fix it. It's almost certainly a symptom of your shitty boring lifestyle and, in turn, your shitty health and lack of exercise and interaction with the world

Attached: Roofing.jpg (640x627, 39K)

>Has anyone done this, just sort of lived to live and then after a while went back to trying to chase their dreams?
Yep.
The term is "a simple life". Work. Recreate. Eat. Sleep. Sometimes spend time with family or friends because >you can't be a hermit. That isn't healthy either.
This is true.

I spent my early twenties like that.
It was peaceful and enjoyable.

And now that I'm older, I wish like fuck I could get that time back. Not the life, the time. Being sedentary and unambitious when I had more energy, youth, resilience was a waste.
But there are far worse ways to waste your time.

There's nothing wrong with it. But as always with any activity, keep aware of whether or not you're getting what you want out of the experience.

I'm still chasing my dreams, and I'm further away from them than I expected I'd be. Your results may vary.

>32 years old, living alone with no job, no income, no friends or social circle, no prospects, no future, jerking off and playing video games for the majority of almost every day
How did you pay for food, rent, and electricity?

Barely, and with lots of anxiety by the end

No, I mean with no income and no job or other activity for "the majority of every day", where did the money come from? How long did this go on for before you used more mysterious money to "treat yourself to joining a gym"?

Not him but why?

Because it's a major hole in his "story".
Either he's omitting that he had access to plenty of money, which is an factor in turning one's life around, he only lived like that for a very short while, unlike many of those asking for help, or he's lying entirely.
I'm new to Jow Forums, but in /tg/, if an user wants to tell fake stories that never happened, he has to do a better job of it or get called out.

Uh, mostly work and savings before then I guess? I had no income so it didn't come from anywhere
>How long did this go on for before you used more mysterious money to "treat yourself to joining a gym"?
I was depressed for likely close to a decade. Was jobless for maybe 2-3 years and had near zero income for likely more than the last 6 months of that.
Gym was the first thing I did. I also launched the first business on literally £100
Why is that mysterious? You hadn't even asked before. Stop being passive aggressive and just get to the point if you have an agenda or statement here

You got there eventually.
>Either he's omitting that he had access to plenty of money, which is an factor in turning one's life around
Nonsense. Unless you're in a third world country and unintelligent anyone can take steps to improve their life. More-so for depression.
> he only lived like that for a very short while
Close to 10 years, 4 if you're being picky, but I've been scum for other parts of my life. Either way this is still irrelevant agenda-laden nonsense
>or he's lying entirely.
Then disregard and move on, problem solved

I answered because of how close to my situation OPs struck me as being and figured it might help to have some input in the opposite direction. If you have a problem with that then I'm not sure what to tell you and if I'm lying then you're essentially just wasting both our time

Ok just curious. And all good points. For some reason I was wondering if you were about to call wellfare and be a dick about it.

Yeah no you're using adv just fine bruv.

>Was jobless for maybe 2-3 years and had near zero income for likely more than the last 6 months of that
So you lived off mostly savings (because no job) for two to three years and entirely savings for six months, paying for food,
lodging, electricity and then had money left over for a gym membership?
Do you consider that normal?
How much savings do you expect most people have?

>Unless you're in a third world country and unintelligent anyone can take steps to improve their life. More-so for depression.
Unrelated to the fact that access to money is a factor in turning one's life around.

You are lying and don't understand what things cost, or how life works. Your posts are ridiculous and whatever you were attempting by them was poorly done.
If you're going to lie about how you turned your life around easily, do a better job of it. Stay in school kid.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I'm not apathetic. I care a lot about life and I'm mentally pretty healthy. I realize that the habits that I'm talking about can creep me into depression. I'm just tired from having to constantly be aiming for a future when I'm already putting in a full shift at my job. Things are worse now because I have to look for jobs when I get home from work, and I think I'll regain my fire but I do think I need a period of simple living to decompress from literally years of stressing over my education and employment goals.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't plan to do it for too long (24-26) because I know I'll get bored eventually and I don't wanna waste away my youth.

Why am I replying to this when I'm already convinced you're an idiot with an agenda?
Mostly savings in the beginning. Small amounts of income from online stuff including web design, selling physical stuff, various other things. JSA for at least the last 6 months, savings definitely didn't exist then
>Do you consider that normal?
No, but the reason I changed wasn't relevant to how normal it was
>How much savings do you expect most people have?
Most people today don't have savings and life paycheck to paycheck, google will tell you that

>Unrelated to the fact that access to money is a factor in turning one's life around.
It's addressing what you stated, nothing more nor less
>You are lying and don't understand what things cost, or how life works. Your posts are ridiculous and whatever you were attempting by them was poorly done.
If you're going to lie about how you turned your life around easily, do a better job of it. Stay in school kid.
Then you've mentally won an internet argument with someone you consider making up nonsense by countering it with your made up nonsense. What have you achieved here?

>Things are worse now because I have to look for jobs when I get home from work, and I think I'll regain my fire but I do think I need a period of simple living to decompress from literally years of stressing over my education and employment goals.
Fair, it sounds more like you're simply dealing with pressure and taking on too much and looking for escapism in some measure of minimalism.
I'd recommend trying meditation- it wont change anything in your life but it'll give you a manageable way to deal with the stress

Attached: 1521854807947.jpg (500x500, 28K)

>What have you achieved here?
Exposed the gaping holes in your bullshit story for anons not yet savvy enough to see them and maybe help keep from throwing out such weak fabrication again.
There. That's my "agenda".

I missed the part where you did that but righto. Good job.
A smarter choice would've been to ask for proof of my businesses and gym records, then you could've called bullshit when I didn't share them

>I missed the part where you did that
I'm not surprised. You repeatedly demonstrated that you didn't even understand the points I was raising
>the reason I changed wasn't relevant to how normal it was
Lurk moar

bump for more thoughts on living a simple life for a while

Attached: tumblr_nakhzqGjh71th8hg5o1_500.jpg (500x362, 45K)