Uni Thread

Thread for general discussion of university and related topics. Hoping it can be used for sharing information between current students, past students and people who may be in the future.

Are you currently studying, or have you already completed your study?
What did you study?
Have you found your path of study to be useful or interesting? Be it for a particular carrer path, or in day-to-day life.
If you haven't been before, or are thinking about going, what do you think you would like to study?
People who have studied a particular subject, what can you tell potential future students about those courses?
If you have been, would you have rathered that you'd studied something else? What other things might you have done differently?
How did you cope with student debt? Were you able to pay it off quickly? Did it take a long time? Are you still struggling with it now? Do you have any advice you'd offer to people regarding student debt?
Do you have any advice or wisdom you could impart to people who might be in a position where you once were or might be soon?
Do you have any other general remarks you'd make about your time at university?

Attached: wicked smaht.gif (498x212, 990K)

What a fucking waste of a thread.

You have absolutely nothing of value yet you post this shit?

What is wrong with you?

Says the guy who literally only came to shitpost.
I'm trying to find out what people think about university in general.
Jeeze, get mad.

Use google to answer your questions you fucking retard.

You sound completely clueless, incompetent, and not cut out for academia.

How the fuck do people even stomach going to college at all
You literally have no free time or will or even hobbies for an entire year at a time, and you pay $90,000 for the privilege. Good fucking god.

I bet you want to get a history degree.
Let’s hear about your work experiences over the last three years. I bet you worked in retail and maybe a coffee shoo.

You won’t ever make it through a 4 year college.

How fucking clueless are you?

>7 replies
>3 posters
>having to samefag
>being this mad over a thread

Attached: lol david t.gif (200x200, 421K)

>why would you
That's why I made the thread. I was trying to get some insight into it before Mad Kid McPoopy Pants came rushing in.

>Are you currently studying, or have you already completed your study?
Studying Management and Leadership.
>Have you found your path of study to be useful or interesting?
Useful, not really. I've had some actual life experience unlike a lot of babby ass college students. Interesting, yeah. Lot of complicated shit related to management and leading people.
>Debt
lol, go to a community college and fuck off after two years
>remarks
If you're not a complete hyper-liberal person, you'll fucking hate some of the people and professors you'll meet.

>I've had some actual life experience unlike a lot of babby ass college students
What kind of experience?

I've met a lot of different fucked up people, went through a lot of different shit that made me introspective, and learned how to not be an immature baby ass 20+ year old by taking shit seriously and actually thinking about hings that actually go on in life. You can tell with the people you meet in college almost right off the bat. They don't know what to say, they're awkward at times, and they have an over laid-back attitude about things. It's amazing the kind of basic shit some of them would be surprised by in any of my leadership classes. It's as if they've never actually met people they clash with, don't understand, or despise.

I'm in my way 2nd year of university. Started on Thursday.
>Have you found your path of study to be useful or interesting? Be it for a particular carrer path, or in day-to-day life.
I study mathematics. I haven't found what I've learned to be useful in my daily life, but it is interesting.
>People who have studied a particular subject, what can you tell potential future students about those courses?
Do some math everyday. Don't fall behind, because in my experience it's almost impossible to catch up.
>If you have been, would you have rathered that you'd studied something else? What other things might you have done differently?
No. There isn't much that interests me to the point of wanting to study it in university.
>Do you have any advice or wisdom you could impart to people who might be in a position where you once were or might be soon?
Don't get carried away by your new-found freedom and if you're staying in a dorm. I spent a lot of time drinking alcohol and smoking weed and doing other nonsense, and nothing good came from it. I failed half my courses and barely passed another. Maybe some of you could do these things without suffering too much, but if you're like me (lacking self control, lazy), then you're going to learn the hard way that you should generally keep yourself away from bullshit like this.
>Do you have any other general remarks you'd make about your time at university?
I am improving. This summer I took a course in topology and got a decent mark (75%). I feel so-so about it but others have been telling me that it's a good achievement. Should have done better considering it was summer, but there's nothing I can do about it now so who cares. This year will be the year I make my comeback and prove to my parents, my friends and myself that I have what it takes, that I'm competent and not a loser.

Attached: 1567745407487.jpg (640x639, 108K)

Many of them would be not long out of high school, wouldn't they?
Have you be interested in mathematics for a long time or is it more recent?

The ones straight out of high school drop out almost immediately and the few that stay are 20 somethings with no major.

>got a BSc and masters, now doing PhD
>Maths, Applied Maths and now Complex Fluid Processes
Pure maths isn't realy useful day to day but in any scientific research you do, the mathematical requirements are always the hardest, so it's really useful to know if you plan on doing that.
It is also interesting to me, but it's definitely one of those subjects that makes people scream "WHEN ARE YOU EVER GOING TO USE THAT IN MODERN DAY LIFE" and of course I use it every day.
Also generally people who do maths are a bit more perceptive of things - most stem areas are just "use x formula to solve y problem" but maths is a lot of creative thinking on how to prove really dense opaque statements.
>potential future students
It's pretty well respected, but don't expect it to be useful unless you are doing applied maths. Sure do the basics of analysis and stuff, but realise that's only useful when used in applied maths.
>study something else
nah, my course was pretty free, I was able to (and still am) do a load of physics chemistry and computing. My currently phd is technically engineering.
>student debt
I left the country
>student life
It starts shit but keep trying and it gets better

Awesome. Same question as above to you:
>Have you be interested in mathematics for a long time or is it more recent?

Uhh, I was always interested in physics (~around 9 years old). I realised later on that there's the facebook-posting I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE WOW IT'S SO COOL ""physics"" and the actual getting shit done physics, which turns out to be 90% mathematics.
So yeah, I started doing maths to be good at physics then realised along the way that it's pretty interesting on its own anyway,

>Have you be interested in mathematics for a long time or is it more recent?
I've been interested since the beginning of high school

23yo drop out from UofT, ask anything

Currently studying philosophy. Actually haven’t declared yet but I can’t see myself doing anything else. I’m a transfer student from a few years ago and just trying to get my bachelor’s over with, although I do love philosophy. I’ve got about a year and a half to two years left.
>Have you found your path of study to be useful or interesting? Be it for a particular carrer path, or in day-to-day life.
It’s been ok. Just do the work. But this semester I’m taking two online classes, coupled with Russian which half of which is online and it’s been rough adjusting. I’ve done all the work but it’s been hard to stay ahead of the work.
>debt
I’m taking on a little under $10k a year, although that might go down further if my grades stay up. Not too worried about it because I’m fine being homeless. Already did it once

Already did, really. Most of the questions I would ask you are in the OP.

?>Are you currently studying, or have you already completed your study?
Currently in junior college- want to go for the last two years in a four-year.

>What did you study?
Mechanical engineering. So bunch of maths, physics, chemistry, CAD courses.

Yes, definitely have more knowledge about intricate details of machines, vehicles, computers, etc.

>People who have studied a particular subject, what can you tell potential future students about those courses?
Lots of difficult math, no life outside of studying and going to courses.

>How did you cope with student debt? Were you able to pay it off quickly? Did it take a long time? Are you still struggling with it now? Do you have any advice you'd offer to people regarding student debt?
So far junior college is free. But for a four-year I'm saving up tuition with my job so I don't have to accrue too much debt after I get out.

>Do you have any advice or wisdom you could impart to people who might be in a position where you once were or might be soon?
Make as much friends as you can and try to cut down on time-wasting or money-wasting habits or hobbies. Focus on school so you can get out quicker.

>Do you have any other general remarks you'd make about your time at university?
Make many friends because it can be rather lonely.

Attached: 1493232923423.gif (400x267, 160K)

yuropoor here, i want to go on exchange next year, partly for the experience and partly to upgrade my resume.
what sounds more prestigious? NYU, Cornell, UoV or Northeastern? Also what would you recommend as a law student? Columbia is also possible, but I'm afraid the workload might be a bit too much for me there. Also college tuitions shouldnt be a problem as I pay my own university tuition which is next to nothing.

Cool. Did you have much experience with CAD before you started, or was it all new and you learned as you went?
Also same question as above abouth maths: Is your interest and aptitude for it more recent, or have you been into it for a long time now?

good luck on the job hunt

Haha yeah I know

>What did you study?
Chemistry. Specialized towards nanotechnology and nonlinear optics during my MSc, writing my thesis now and applying for PhD positions.

>Have you found your path of study to be useful or interesting? Be it for a particular career path, or in day-to-day life.
Nanotech is really up and coming while not very hard to understand. Optics and especially nonlinear optics were pretty hard to understand for me, but building and operating a setup is a lot of fun.

Can't really tell you much because I studied in Germany. The education system here is very different.

>If you have been, would you have rathered that you'd studied something else? What other things might you have done differently?
I would've studied harder to get into medicine. Or stopped being a bitch and enrolled into physics. Chemistry is still great though!

Start studying early and from day one. Bing-learning two weeks before won't do shit, you need at least four. To learn equations, it is helpful to remember which shape they're like. For example, a fraction always looks like a cross-section of a two-story house to me and I can remember in which rooms all the variables are sitting. Long equations or roots look like trains with different cars, etc. Also, learn where the equations are coming from and if you can, plot them.
Study smart not hard and you'll find that you're more intelligent than you give yourself credit for.

Just being nice to people, staying curious and not being afraid to ask for something does way more for you than just good grades alone. Don't forget to network, it gives you references for later. Oh and be nice to the secretaries!

Other questions?

Attached: IMG_20190707_211305.jpg (720x815, 69K)

>Other questions?
Yes.
>The education system here is very different.
How so?

The university system has mostly switched to the so-called Bologna system with Bacherlor's and Master's degrees. Though they were supposed to make degrees more comparable between nations, the individual universities can place emphasis on different topics in their curriculum which makes everything a bit of a mess. Things that you can have learned in one university as a part of your BSc might not even be taught at MSc level at other universities. For example, my BSc. consisted of:

>First semester
Basic principles of chemistry
Mathematics for natural sciences
Basic principles of physics

>Second semester
Organic chemistry I
Inorganic chemistry I
Physical chemistry I

>Third semester
Organic chemistry II
Inorganic chemistry II
Technical chemistry

>Fourth semester
Biochemistry I
Theoretical chemistry
Analytical chemistry
Structural elucidation

>Fifth semester
Biochemistry II
Inorganic chemistry III
Physical chemistry III

>Sixth semester
Organic chemistry III
Thesis

I remember it being superheavy on all things physics. All these were mandatory and during my MSc, I could choose the courses I wanted from a list. To make things worse, some studies also still go after the old certification system (diploma and pre-diploma) such as teaching, medicine or law. I don't know too much about the university system at the U.S. but I'm pretty sure there are many differences. The German system is an enormous clusterfuck, really. And don't get me started on the school system.