I FINISHED MY LAW DEGREE ASK ME FUCKING ANYTHING

Riots in Hong Kong, blah blah blah. I don't actually know anything about this, but HK is a common law system, and I just did a three year degree in law (UK) so feel free to ask me anything.

To stay on topic, herewith news link (this is all going to go horribly wrong fyi; HK is just a meme). hongkongfp.com/2019/06/12/not-try-break-law-hong-kongs-no-2-official-urges-protesters-stop-occupying-roads-leave/

Attached: chinese being gooks.jpg (862x575, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w-SPcsfz0_E
legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/52/enacted.
legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/54/enacted
harlow-college.ac.uk/study-options/access-courses/item/access-to-higher-education-diploma-medicine.
imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/#entry-requirements
bma.org.uk/advice/career/studying-medicine/becoming-a-doctor/graduate-and-foundation-students
candi.ac.uk/courses/medicine-medical-bio-sciences-access-higher-education-diploma
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Given the state of the UK today, HK is obviously a billion times better under Chinese rule. Just thank Buddha and bend the knee to your Maoist overlords.

how old are you?

How much do you wish we could just go back to pistols at dawn since the legal system will never be capable of representing everyone due to the costs involved and really only rich people get access to legal rights?

Why pistols at dawn? We should just go back to battle as a mode of trial. One of my subjects this year was legal history and you'd think it would be the easiest, but it's the hardest I did through all three years. Anyway, yeah, you guys would have liked battle. Pretty based.

Common law systems don't work for dictatorships. Common law built America; gave you your constitution, too.

Oh, and coming back to this - actually, that's right. The common law was basically developed primarily from property law rights, and you needed to pay to get your case into the royal courts (Common Pleas and Kings Bench). Thus it ever was.

What's your next move job/life wise?

Good earning potential, would you recommend as a course for someone late 20s/early 30s who has little opportunity?

why are you on Jow Forums? shouldn't you be out snorting coke and fucking hot blondes?

Is homosexuality a mental disease?
I mean it functionally impedes with reproduction and anything doing that is a disease from warts to disturbed periods.

How do you feel about the legal system inherently being a pay2win system? Is it just that only money begets legal rights?

If a person agrees to take on a piece of work, is there an onus for said work to be completed in reasonable time?

I haven't decided on whether to go the solicitor or barrister route. I've given myself to the end of summer to decide.

Also, yes 100%. I did really badly at school. About 2007 I found my way to Jow Forums due to chanology shit. At the time, you still got a lot of decent threads on /b/. One of them one day - this thread changed my life - was on logical fallacies. I'd never heard of this but a lot clicked for me (I'd be angry before when discussing things IRL but couldn't articulate why). Anyway, landed up shitposting for about 2 years, got good at debate, learned skills, did a course at the Open University, got distinction. Did another one, another distinction. I had always wanted to go university but thought I was too dumb so this was big news for me. Wanted to do religious studies initially but no problem-solving. My dad always wanted me to do law but again I thought I was too stupid. So asked around and they told me I needed to go back school to get my A levels. So did that at an adult education college, got 45/45 distinctions (3 starred As), then applied to SOAS but the college told me 3 more so FOR A LAUGH, I included Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE. Got offers for all. Went to Cambridge for interview, got into Cambridge.

All because of Jow Forums.

So yeah, it is NEVER too late. They get a fucking hard on for stories like mine, too. First one in my family, poor background, grafted to get in, much older. It's not too late. Do it.

I don't want to be that kind of lawyer. I'm mainly interested in property and trusts because of things like proprietary estoppel. Also, my favourite subject is unjust enrichment. So, I just want to do that kind of stuff.

>ASK ME FUCKING ANYTHING
Ok.
GFY!

Honestly I know there's a lot of shitposting around here but I'm not trolling when I say this is the first time I've felt anything close to hope in about 6 months. Because I've been finding it hard to see past the alternative of hanging myself or working shitty warehouse/retail/hospitality well into my 30s.

No, you have discreet legal rights. That's pretty obvious from things like tort law, and so on. It's just that you've always had to pay to get a case heard. That's not a new thing - it literally built the common law. On the one hand, you can say that's bad, but on the other, what's the solution? Judges shouldn't have primary responsibility for making law - that's for legislatures, and one of the great things about the common law is because it requires you to pay, it runs behind you as it were - unlike the retarded civilian systems which run ahead of you, constantly micro-managing your life.

Depends on what the case is. Solicitors are pretty heavily regulated, though. They can't just rack up hours. Everything has to be accounted for, etc.

how do i get my laptop back

solemn procedure
no trial diet
time limit is exceeded

they tell me they reserve the right to proscecute me at any time even though thats not what the law actually says

>ASK ME ANYTHING
>I don't actually know anything

fuck off reddit faggot, we dont do AMA homosex here AND u self admit u dont know nuttin, so i repeat, fuck off. thanks.

Attached: 1557327655294.gif (250x355, 1.34M)

OK, specifically, for a vehicle M.O.T to be carried out by a garage. It's illegal to have a vehicle on the road without one, so once the garage takes the vehicle in, it cannot be released until the work is done. What if they take an unreasonable amount of time to complete it?

>On the one hand, you can say that's bad, but on the other, what's the solution?
Pistols at dawn or any other form of duel, physical or otherwise. Far more equal than money.

Ok, I understand. I was the same. Going nowhere, being nothing. Like I say, I did fucking BAD at school. I mean, I had to go back to school. A shitty adult education college full of drug dealers, and basically kids with personality disorders. But I turned up for every lecture, did every paper, and honesty it wasn't even that hard. And like I say, they creamed their pants with my application. If you apply to anything other than Cambridge, you have to do the LNAT. You can't prep for this thing but I got 36 out of 42 (nobody has ever scored 42). Average for Cambridge my year was 26. So, at 26 they were taking, and I got 36. And all because of Jow Forums. No jokes. This is my story. And I'm a predicted 2:1 with two firsts (unjust enrichment, and commercial law) and I've already been hit up my magic circle firms (they pay trainee starts on about £70,000 - that's just to show up in the office two days a week while you're qualifying).

If you're on Jow Forums, in my experience, you're already smarter than most. If you're here, and you feel frustrated, pissed off, and you hate the sheer mundanity and predictabilty of this boring fucking life, chances are your brain is crying out for attention. I've never been happier than these past 3 years. Gruelling ALL THE TIME, relentless workloads (you will get an average 20 cases per lecture + 5 academic articles [about 20+ pages each] + about 8 pages preppred work notes you have to do beforehand, tutorials, more lectures, formatives - you'll be crushingly exhausted but through it all, you won't get one dark thought in your head. I haven't had one for four years. Brain's never been happier.

Do it, man.

I actually linked a news article. You're free to discuss that, or you can leave, ta.

I don't understand this post. If someone has your laptop and won't return it, you have two causes of action on your facts - it's either theft, or it's the tort of conversion.

>or you can leave, ta.

reddit fag confirmed

Attached: 1560232959095.gif (270x270, 835K)

Well, you'll be in a contract with them. What do the contract terms say? I can't really answer this question without more specifics. There's no specific doctrine related to 'unreasonable time' as far as I know, but it'll likely be somewhere in something like the Consumer Rights Act. Need more information.

Any recommended starting points for self learning? You mentioned improving your logical reasoning and learning about logical fallacies on here, perhaps you found some other online resources for this?

I'm looking at applying to uni, I do have A levels (albeit not amazing ones) and would prefer not to redo them, I'm thinking a good application and interview could get me into a mid-tier uni. From what you can tell so far, would the opportunities still be decent for a graduate of, say, a 10-20 league table position institute?

The advice is highly appreciated.

the police took it as evidence,

then proceeded to not do anything with the case,

then because it was a jury trial the time limit was exceeded meaning they can't actually pursue it any longer,

but they tell me on the phone they reserve the right to proscecute me and kept all my computers etc.

The cost of a lawyer is probably going to be more than the value of my computer, but the shit was brand new and I'm convinced they just took advantage of the situation and stole it from evidence and don't want to reveal this to me.

No contract, just a verbal agreement. The guy took more than 6 months to do the work. I spoke to a few solicitors who literally just said 'no', it's almost as if they only care about money rather than actual justice.....

Australian lawyer here. Ask me anything and I'll tell you why OP is a faggot.

No, that doesn't seem right. Solicitors are shit because they want money but I do this kind of stuff as favours all the time. All you need to do is send a letter outlining a law, and they shit their pants and give you back your money.

Did you pay him? How much?

why is OP a faggot?

That's the thing, no money upfront, but like I said, they couldn't release the vehicle until it was done, so went without one for 6 months. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant I'll stop now.

Common Law? We have not had Common Law since 1707. It doesn't exist anywhere on Earth now. HK like the UK, is under Admiralty Law.

i literally saw a vid on crimebodge where a women didn't pay her bill and then called the police on the garage saying he stole it and they came and took it off the garage and told them to sue her civilly

Because he has sexual relations with other men. He eats the poo poo.

And he is absolutely fucking larping.

is a law degree actually affordable in the UK? here for even a shit tier state school you still pay 6 figures

Fuck off with your sovereign citizen nonsense faggot.

Why are you so fucking retarded? Im in third year doing nuclear in a country with 33% of the worlds uranium.

There was an AI program tested a few months ago. About 20 Lawyers were given a case study, and told to reach a legal conclusion. The fastest guy did it is 90 minutes. The AI software did it under 210 seconds.
AI will finish the entire legal scam, I mean profession.

whens the bar exam donkey?

Nah, not really. I basically just did the OU stuff first. I mean, I thought I would struggle but not at all (first paper I did was Dr Faustus - blew my mind). I would say if you're good at arguing, and you're naturally curious, you shouldn't have any problems.

One thing I did though that helped was volunteered in a community law centre for about 8 months. That helped massively with the application as they want to see actual interest. You'll have one locally so I STRONGLY suggest calling them up, saying you want to study law, and you would like to volunteer with them. They put me in reception which sounds bollocks but I got huge insight into the housing and benefits problems people have (especially in relation to legal aid), so I could include that on my application. One thing I mentioned was a nurse who called up one day who was being routinely attacked by her mother who has dementia. That was a big problem because there's no law to stop that so what do you do about this? Is it right she just has to risk being attacked? Or is she entitled to legal protection? And if so, under what rules? Criminal, private, public? Anyway, I mentioned this in my application, and when I went to the interview at Cambridge, they asked me about this specifically - guy said it was very impressive and they usually get rich kids coming in with blah blah stories about what they think about the law, but very rarely do they talk about how the law fails.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, if you have A levels now, then you need to a) volunteer (I strongly recommend this - the law firms like it, too), and b) you need to sit the LNAT. I did mine through my college so I don't know what the process is if you already have A levels, but that thing sealed the deal with me for Oxford and UCL. Cambridge has a separate exam, but if you want to get into one of the big ones, you need the LNAT. No way to prep for it, but apparently the one common factor is early readers tend to do better.

It is a fact that England and Scotland were taken over by the Glorious Revolution; Britain - a corporation - was created in 1707, and it is a shipping/ merchant empire. Granted it is extremely difficult to do sovereign citizen shit as Freemasons will break their own laws, as they are simply a mafia working for the Queen, but people like Canadian Dean Clifford, have managed to do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=w-SPcsfz0_E

Oh, and don't aim low, just aim high. Don't aim for subpar universities if you know you can get into the better ones with a bit more work.

Uh, if the police took your computer for a jury trial, and are reserving the right to prosecute you in the future, you need to speak to a criminal lawyer, man.

>Australian lawyer here. Ask me anything and I'll tell you why OP is a faggot.
>why is OP a faggot?
>Because he has sexual relations with other men. He eats the poo poo.
>And he is absolutely fucking larping.

IDK, he also rambling about his "cambridge law degree" in a thread about kim kardashian running for president:

>As someone who has just completed a law degree at fucking Cambridge, you can only imagine how in orbit my sides still are. My favourite part EVER were photographs of her 'notes' for her 'tort' 'exams'. I'd find copies but I'm afraid I'm already on the floor in hysterics just remembering them.

Attached: emmarobertsunderstand.gif (268x368, 1.97M)

Just do Open University or distance learning, it is a fraction of the price.

>just did a 3 year law degree
>ask me anything
Why? You don't know shit yet. You're like the fucks that come in from basic with their chest puffed out until reality slaps them in the face. Make this thread again in a few years when you matter.

>common law
Blackstone would cry if he saw the shit that passes for a legal system you have today.

>Any recommended starting points for self learning?
>Nah, not really.
+
>GIANT WALL OF TEXT

get a load of this faggot lol

Attached: tumblr_n31rb3spAS1tw1vhco1_500.gif (500x280, 913K)

When was this? You should have kept all your travel receipts, etc., and made them pay for the costs you went to for not having a car for that period - that you can probably claim back. Verbal agreements are still binding contracts; it's just harder to establish the terms. Certainly, though, applying the usual reasonableness tests, 6 months is a fucking joke.

Sure we do. I literally don't even know what you're trying to say. Common law means incrementally developed-by-judges law. I have no idea what your definition is.

The OU were brilliant. But their price increases are a piss take.

You can just hit them up for the tort of conversion. Send them a letter saying if they don't return the vehicle within 14 days, you will seek a delivery up order from the High Court, and will include seeking damages and all costs.

They'll get it back to you fast, believe me.

Student loan. £9 grand a year. I saved hard for three years though, and I got first year accommodation free. Rest I had to pay for but it's manageable and you can find cheap accommodation in most university towns.

What type of corporate entity is Britain?

I'm not good at maths stuff, but I envy you anyway. Congratulations on having that kind of brain.

England and Scotland don't even have the same laws.
Nigger.

Yeah he's full of shit.

Yeah, I loved them. Never followed the coursework, though.

If you were such a great lawyer as you make yourself out to be you would have instantly known this guy is a sovereign citizen.

Shut the fuck up, faggot.

I'm currently considering doing a health sciences degree (through open uni)then using it to apply for medicine. I'm 27, it's good to hear there might still be hope for me.

I would have gone on and done a second even third degree.
But a 600 pound course now costs 2500. But you don´t actually get anything new or extra for the money. Fuck that.

Yup, as I thought, it is in the CRA. S52 - legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/52/enacted. You also have a right to a price reduction - legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/54/enacted

>not codifying your laws
Why not do what every US state can?

Yeah, you'd be amazed. I know it sounds corny, but they apparently REALLY do like if you're older, and have done other stuff. A lot of the kids that come through are pretty privileged if you think about it (can afford the degree, come from good private schools), and these universities have diversity policies as well so actually if you're older, and the more you work towards that goal of getting in, the higher your chances. Definitely true for me, anyway.

US is a common law system. We also have primary law coming from legislatures (codification), but it's still applied, interpreted, and modified by judges.

I actually posted on/adv/ about this, your post seems to have swayed me. This is the thread

Having fees more or less covered is seriously making me think why the fuck not

What are your A levels like? Would you be prepared to go back to school for a year? With your experience, I'm absolutely positive they'd be interested in having you. Anywhere, I suppose but somewhere like Imperial is what you should aim for.

I've got BBCC
They generally go for AAAA but what can you do. At least if I managed to get a 2:1 with open uni they'd be happy with that.

Ok, so just looking online, if you try somewhere like Imperial, they want 3 A levels (Maths, Biology, then a third subject).

According to the BMA, you can apply as a mature student through access to medicine programmes, so if I were you, I'd do similar to me and instead of doing a few years at the OU, just do a year at an adult education college specifically looking for 'access to medicine' courses (I did one that was called 'Access to law' at City and Islington).

Not sure where you are in the UK, but here's one I found with a quick google search: harlow-college.ac.uk/study-options/access-courses/item/access-to-higher-education-diploma-medicine. You'll definitely be able to find something like this, and I think it's the better route.

Imperial info here: imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/#entry-requirements

BMA info here: bma.org.uk/advice/career/studying-medicine/becoming-a-doctor/graduate-and-foundation-students

I'm living proof this route is not only possible, but entirely achievable. So yes, you shoud do it. That kind of experience will be invaluable on an application too, in my view. Remember: I got into my degree with basically 8 months of volunteering in a legal advice centre; you've got ACTUAL medical, workable, experience.

I wouldn't do OU. You can get the marks in a year. Two years if you do it part time. I would SERIOUSLY consider this.

Ok, so City & Islington does one, too. Note, this by the way. If you go onto do a degree, the cost for ALL THIS COURSE is written off. Again: these are all perks designed SPECIFICALLY to get people like you and me into higher education.

candi.ac.uk/courses/medicine-medical-bio-sciences-access-higher-education-diploma

The other advantage of going this route, by the way, is the college writes a letter of recommendation for you which is HUGE for the application. Like for mine, they basically gave all my marks, my attendance record, plus the fact I was engaged in classes, etc. I slag this college off, but every single top tier uni I applied to took that recommendation seriously, and I still think it counted for about a third of the reason I got in.

I'd absolutely love to do this but I'd need to do distance learning due to military commitments. The way it would work is I'd be a Combat Medic until I start a medical degree, then I'd be a future MO (medical officer). They wouldn't release me to study until I'm classed as a future professionally qualified officer.

Oh, ok, wait - so the army will pay for the degree? How long are you tied to them for? How long is the OU course?

I'm currently a Lance Corporal, making about £30k a year. Applying to the OU through the military, they'll cover 80% of the cost. If I was accepted to study medicine they'd pay for the course in return for a few years of service.
Huge benefit to this is the army cannot lower your pay, so I'd be getting about £30k a year to study, they also provide housing.
OU degree would be 3 years full time.

>a three year degree in law (UK)

what a fucking joke

Sorry, I just read your other thread properly. Do you need to do Health Sciences, though? Can you not do a specifically targeted course? One thing I did was call up SOAS (they were my first choice back then) and they were the ones who told me about the access to law courses. I had no idea and was going to do another couple of years at the OU to get a degree. Why don't you just call up a uni you want to go to and ask them what they would require? I just feel it's a long time doing something that isn't specifically targeted.

But it is an actually proper legal system, unlike your civilian 'law' bollocks.

It's just my inability to do a full time course holding me back but the army will not budge because I'm in a highly deployable unit. I'd need to find either night classes or distance learning, I'm having a look just now.
OU would at least give me a degree if I wasn't up to par for medicine.

Did the act of 1871 make the United states of America a corporation?

I've just found a learndirect course which is access and distance, I'm going to enquire about it. Expensive but if the army foot the bill I'll be in good stead.

What were your A level marks for? From what I could make out from the C&I course, they want B grades for maths and science (at least one). I guess this is really anecdotal but I always felt very frustrated with my life. Like something was missing. I could do my job (I used to work as a graphic designer) but something was just wrong. When I started my degree, I remember first year coming back from a public law lecture and my mind was on cloud nine. So, I suppose what I'm trying to say is if you feel inclined towards doing something then you probably can do it - I wouldn't settle on fallbacks, basically. You're already keen, you already have the instinct for it, and the access course can still get you into something else like, I dunno, nursing or being a paramedic down the line or whatever.

Ok, awesome. I would DEFINITELY try call your preferred university, too. You'd be amazed at how helpful they'll be. The guy at SOAS couldn't have been more encouraging and cool about it.

The other thing I'll say about the OU, too, is it's sort of designed for slower people. No shade on them at all, but my sense is you probably don't need to drag it out that much.

Are you at Oxford? They just finished today

How long do (((they))) have to serve me a summons on a DUI in my driveway?

Thanks for the advice mate, massively appreciated. I'm going to speak to my boss (doctor who left school with nothing) on Monday and see what he can advise.

No problem at all, my man. Very happy to have helped any way I could. Godspeed, and just do it; you will never regret it.

Also I gave a blood sample, refused the field sobriety test in the potholed driveway, they never read me my rights, never searched my car, and that was 2 months ago, went to court when my bondsman said but they didnt have a case on me yet

>unlike your civilian 'law' bollocks

at least we have a properly written legal system unlike your word of mouth shit

This post made me laugh. I dunno, man. My instinct is they can't do shit if you're driving drunk on your own land, but a quick search on Jewgle has, sadly, confirmed for me this is not the case. Depending where you are, there's probably a statutory limit on how long they have to serve a summons. In the UK, it's 6 months from date of infraction. They also have X amount of time to get driver confirmation details, too, so that'll likely be true where you are as well.

Thanks for indulging my thread Jow Forums.

Wait, what? So you were already served a summons? How did they know you were even driving, and not just sitting pissed in the car?

Haha. No, you don't. Roman systems are literal shit-tier. No wonder you people struggle so much with basic ideas like 'democracy' and 'rights' - all gifted by the common law, all anathema to your babby-tier shit 'legal' systems. Thank fuck we're leaving the EU.

They flipped on their lights a 1/2 block from my house, so I made him follow me into my driveway

Oh, so they saw you driving? Well, bang goes that idea then. I don't even know where you live that you can be summonsed for making it safely to your own house and then getting busted for a DUI on your own damn property. I suppose it's somewhere like Maine or Fagifornia.

Kansas

How easy it to become a patent lawyer? I heard they make good cash and itd be pretty interesting.

Well, shit. Just looking at it now, and from what I can make out, congratulations, you must live in one of the most retarded places on earth. Every conviction is a jailable offence? Seriously? Anyway, when you went to court, what did the court say?