Too much rain?

Why don’t the farmers just plant rice?

Attached: JPEG image 10.jpg (4000x2667, 1.17M)

2019: officially the year when agriculture degrees prove to be higher value than liberal arts

Rice is bug food.

It’s too cold for rice.

If you have a successful harvest you're going to make a fucking fortune this year.
>mfw urbanites paying $15.99 for a loaf of bread and $4.99 per ear of corn
>mfw the USA is on track for record low yields

Attached: 1546983402983.png (1524x1520, 1.99M)

No one has equipment for planting rice. You literally cannot get farm equipment in the fields

>implying I buy bread
>implying I'm not already stocked up on popcorn
I'll be looking forward to a possible season of cheap meat due to low food yields.

why dont the farmers just becausr rasin formers?

BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID

Somedays I wish I was a farmer.

>cheap meat
The chinks are loosing millions of hogs to Ebola like swine flu. Meat is going to get expensive as well.

Lots of grape crops got wiped out too.

something to do with soil

Because you cant just turn a corn or wheat growing region into a rice growing region you fucking idiot.

Its not a big deal they have crop insurance and fed subsidies, sometimes floods occur welcome to being a farmer.

Attached: Spartacus2x09_1522.jpg (1920x1080, 366K)

Because that water will be gone before the rice matures...

Yeah but we have had skyrocketing yields in previous years so I doubt this will really cause a major impact.

Why would livestock prices go lower if corn is lower in quantity ? Wouldn't meat prices explode due to cost passed on by higher priced feed?
Unsuccessful corn/basedbean/etc harvests affect everything down the chain.

The Chinese genetically engineered rice to withstand water thousands of years ago

feed will be more expensive

Most of that land is above the water line.

I've been hearing people complaining that they would already be on their second planting by now except they haven't even been able to put in a first. So the question is going to be whether they want to pay more for feed or whether it's not going to work out and they're better off liquidating livestock. I don't know which way it's going to go, but liquidating livestock is a common consequence for a bad growing year.

Lucky Canadians going to get lots of cheap horse meat. Partly like iits 2009!

Oh noe my shiity monoculture earth destroying globalist farm is flooded! How will i supply the masses with shit grains and meet my Monsanto quota? Poor me for falling into the modern farming trap.

>$15.99 for a loaf of bread
Dear Lord
Sauce?

Attached: 0041 - g0SJsTM.jpg (422x408, 102K)

Sucks for them i'm already on my first set of lambs and have green grass for miles. Going to be a good year while urbanites starve and savage each other with retarded taxes and gender diversity.

It only takes a year of bad yields to completely fuck grain prices

>I'm a leaf so my opinion is irrelevant

Hey now leaf, my garden is stunted as well, and I have hardly any cherries this year and that’s not funny at all.

>No one has equipment for planting rice.
There is approx 4k of equipment on Mexican side of the wall.

Rice can't grow in the regions this is currently an issue. Even so, there's not enough time to get the expertise, equipment, manpower, and seed for it to even be tenable.

Feels good to be dry

Attached: meadow1.jpg (745x559, 84K)

Why not just use pure diesel and gasoline made from oil and ditch that shitty and ecosystems destroying biofuel?

I was listening to one guy just this past weekend say his tractor could barely pick up the hay bales for some reason this year. He speculates the cool, wet weather lead to thicker, denser hay.

It keeps raining on and off, too, so he's been having problems with stuff that winds up getting rained before he can bale it on or has to sit on wet ground until it's been baled. Good way to wind up making humans and animals sick.

Because it will dry up again.

And then the rice will die.

>And then the rice will die.
Just like in the rouse utopia
RIP little rice.

>Flood the market with rice
>Price of rice plummets
sorry user, we just cannot have that. Also, the reason milk is so expensive is because 3/4 of production is poured down the drain.
t. farmer Joe

But but globalwarming
We just got a fresh batch of farm equipment in from San Antonio
Nah, it just needs water and nitrogen fertilizer
Don’t they irrigate during droughts?

Yeah wet weather sucks for hay bailing and the constant overcast days mean the grass won't grow long and green it kind of thickens up and gets full of water. You want the grass to dry out and not suck up rainfall that's why his bales weigh so much more.
Good that he is raising grass fed though and not over using grains to bulk up his herd.

Ahem, grass fed is the only way to raise livestock.

That is fucking hot. God I wish that were me

Wrong soil type, wrong equipment, the equipment can't even enter the field without sinking. I'd like to think this year will lead some farmers to start thinking about weather independent farming methods like hydroponics but I doubt it will happen. Much like all the people who still build wood frame houses in tornado alley farmers will continue to do as they always have while complaining loudly for bailouts.

What do you think it would cost to turn 1000 acres into hydroponics?

This leaf is correct.
Monoculture is shit.
Monsanto is evilcorp.
Commercial farming is a trap.

>3/4 of production is poured down the drain
Care to explain? I know wasted food is a huge issue but whats the deal with milk?

why not let pigs wallow in it and have juicy bacon.

>floods only effect monocrops and not literally everything that grows out of the fucking ground

Attached: 1518672752559.jpg (320x320, 16K)

Millions of dollars. I didn't say it would be cheap nor did I suggest that they should do it this year. Only that they should consider it going forward (they won't).

They’re not allowed to

I think it's a cool idea that's worth exploring how to scale up efficiently, or maybe just one that isn't going to scale and that would work well in smaller, distributed installations. But you really have to drive through the midwest to get an adequate impression of just how big the endless fields are.

It's expensive compared to corn finished at a feed lot.

I live in the Midwest, I know the scales we're talking about. At the same time hydroponics operates on the same general equipment as irrigation and they found ways to scale that up.

That's because you subsidise corn production for feed.

While I've seen people discard their milk due to quota reasons, I wouldn't say our milk is 'expensive'. In the southeast part of the country, the cost of milk in the store is less than it costs to produce it which has led to all but the corporate dairies shut down.

Maybe you can try to make a go of it. I was at some movie or other the other year (I watch maybe two a year) and one of the commercials beforehand was for a couple of numales that had gotten a hold of some old underground tunnels or something in a city and turned them into an hydroponics installation. I don't know if they wound up getting it successful or it turned out to be a scam for government gibs, but I am not against technological development.

But, you know, sometimes you're at a scale where you wind up moving irrigation pipes around by hand when you don't get rain, or you use those big things that spin in circles or roll across the field to automate a bigger area. I think something as complex as hydroponics is going to have a hard time competing with just letting the earth, the rain, and the sun do what you get for free at massive scales.

Thank you for noticing

drain your fields holy fuck its not difficult

its fixable. we've turned swamps into productive farm land for thousands of years with this simple technique.

these lazy "farmers" would rather just complain and cry until they get free money from the feds.

Attached: french-drain.jpg (321x264, 19K)

This is the stupidest post I’ve seen all day.

You’re retarded.

nigger i hope you have to grow your own food one day and then starve within 2 weeks

literally am a geotechnical engineer who provides these drainage solutions standard for all property development recommendations. stop being a lazy faggot and control your water instead of crying about the rain, or lack of rain.

just did a bloody trench instead of filling it with gravel lmao.

The city code inspector won't like that.

I don't make a habit of complimenting our retarded kiwi little brothers but you are on the money here bro , it seems like leafs and yanks have no idea how to deal with weather extremes , my station was a raging inferno 10 months ago then it was a full on meleluca swamp 4 months ago, now the capsicums and tomatoes are at 3rd string and we have a record amount of lambs (and record eagle/pig/fox attacks) , after a famine comes a feast and the yanks are panicking thinking the famine is gunna be forever.

open trench is a temporary solution. fill the same trench with 3/4" gravel and it will still work 4 generations later. Also its nice to be able to cross over your trench with vehicles, and not have an open pit of water for insects to breed in.

but you don't want water draining from your soil when the water table lowers back to normal again, making a permanent trench will seriously effect the arability and leech nutrients from the soil every time it rains.as for crossing the trench lay a few sleepers parallel and even the biggest comby wont have a problem crossing.

As a farmer protecting your topsoil is your number one priority .

>>literally

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

Ive heard about that. Is it really THAT much? 3/4ths of production?

>cheap meat
Millions of cattle also died because of the flooding.

Attached: Chrome~01.jpg (1080x1150, 184K)

Based Austard I hope you have a bumper year.

What's the cause of death in that situation?

This, the soil composition is very sandy where I live. This allows farmers in our area to get crops in the ground even after a few inches 48 hrs ago. 8$ corn is in our future.

Attached: 6iITUGkgSBZXC2DGFihsCOKg60LhmtNmbrlu4NNfz7M.jpg (600x667, 57K)