Philopsophy

Ok Jow Forums, philosophy question for you here.

The question is, can you sometimes feel words? The following is my argument.

Sometimes words are spoken words, sometimes they are not.

Spoken words are a combination of vibrations that we give meaning to.

We can physically feel combinations of vibrations.

Because we can feel vibrations and spoken words are vibrations, in some cases, we can feel words. (even if we cannot interpret them)

Thoughts and discussion on this?

Attached: White privilege.jpg (614x960, 77K)

Are you as rich as either of them you cuck faggot?

Bump

What?

Bump again

All I see is wealth privilege from that kike and that nigger

You're mentally retarded. The picture is just a random pic I posted. The substance of what I would like to talk about is in the post.

Bump again.

Certainly. Thoughts are translated into emotions. For example. Distressing thoughts result in a feeling of distress.

Ah, I should clarify further. I mean can you sometimes physically feel words as in touch them.

ok but is your green the same as my green?

Care to clarify your question further?

>physically feel words
Yes. We have a specific sense organ that feels words - the ear drum.

what do you mean by they’re sometimes spoken and sometimes not?

go somewhere else faggot.

not really, read it until it makes sense

What I mean is, sometimes words are abstract and other times they are physical. Sometimes words are just thoughts, other times they are physically spoken through air being vibrated on our vocal cords.

The sound of the word "bigot" makes me both cringe and rage inside.

I know the meaning of the word is irritating but I mean the sound of the word irritates me even more.

sight and hearing are sensory faculties
there's not much difference colloquially between 'sense' and 'feel', unless you're going to try to make a distinction between sight not being (as) tactile
but that's not a real distinction, or even if you insisted that it was one I don't know how you would go about establishing an importance in forcing that distinction in the first place

but what do you mean by something spoken and sometimes physical?
Can you give an example?

This seems pretty obvious OP. What's your point?

synesthesia.

Sure, when you think of a word to yourself, it's abstract because it doesn't exist in the physical world.

When you speak a word, it is now brought into the physical realm because it now exists as a series of vibrations instead of it just being an abstract thought.

I got into a huge debate with my in-laws about this topic and they were absolutely 100% adamant that you can't feel words. I honestly felt like I was being gaslighted or something so I wanted to hear the opinions of 3rd party individuals.

>when you think of a word to yourself, it's abstract because it doesn't exist in the physical world
It's not, strictly speaking a 'word' at this point - it's an idea; think dog; then say the associated term, "dog"; ideas and ideals are not the same as the terms used to the describe them

>we can feel words
We can sense words, via our ears, or by reading lips
We can feel vibrations but I doubt the skin is sensitive enough to discern words from simple tones.
Weird thing to have a debate about OP.

Attached: 1527134063810.jpg (402x720, 55K)

shut up retard

Some people are really bad at talking about abstract ideas, and will argue even the most sensible point to death, even if they're smart in other areas. But to play devil's advocate here, they probably meant that you can feel vibrations in the air that can be interpreted as words, but you can't feel the actual words. Kinda like how you can feel four of something, but you can't feel the number four.

Hahaha yeah I know it's a weird thing to debate about. When you combine alcohol and a bunch of people, weird topics tend to get brought up.

I appreciate the input though.

Well, what I'm saying is that you can theoretically feel the vibrations in the air after they're spoken. Because you can feel those vibrations and spoken words are vibrations, you can actually feel spoken words (although you wouldn't be able to discern them.)

I didn't even think about what the other poster said about your eardrums "feeling" or "sensing" the vibrations, which is another strong point.

>pic related

Attached: mona smirk.png (999x750, 1.25M)

>When you combine alcohol and a bunch of people
That's what "symposium" meant originally - a drinking party. This question was also important to Plato, btw.

Interesting, do you know where I can read about it.

Actually, I agree with your in-laws here, user. You can feel vibrations that represent words and interpret them for the purpose of communication, but you can't feel words. If you put your hand on the screen that is displaying these words, would you say you're feeling the words, or the screen?

when you speak you can hear your own voice partly though resonant vibrations in your skellington
but most of the time no
you will not be able to feel a voice
unless it were to be amplified
even in this case resonance is more important than spl

Attached: PA-Speaker-Pairs-PYLE-PACKAGE15-detailed-image-1.jpg (1000x1082, 325K)

You are basically describing waht a speaker does. It makes air particles vibrate.

I would be feeling the screen, I agree with you on that point.

My main argument is that words are unique in that they can be both abstract and physical.

As an example, when they are thought, they can't be felt.

When they are spoken, they are physical in the form of vibrations. Even thought we may not always be able to interpret those vibrations, those vibrations are literally physical words.

I believe it's tough to talk about because typically things are either abstract or they are not. I feel that words themselves can be either or depending on the form that they are in.

That is methaphisical prpblem of universals and particulars.
Some claim they trully exist bcs without universals you cant make true sentance.
Others say they are not existing, only wprds in our minds.
But words do male feelings. Examp. You like your grandma and when someome says she is dieng you will xry bcs you know word grandma represents ypur lovely old persone.

Words are concepts. You can create physical symbols to convey them and feel the symbols, but you can't feel the concepts themselves. When we speak, we're not creating words with our mouths, we're conveying them.

If I drew a picture and said it represented some abstract concept like "love" and then you reached out to touch it with your hands would you say you're feeling love? Words aren't any different.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to think about that more. Thank you for taking the time to participate in this thread user.

Words are just meaningless noises. It is their mutually agreed-upon definitions that give them meaning. Even then, they still might sound completely meaningless to a foreigner, or to a space alien.

So is this what you mean then or what?

They are not physical words but representations of words. The difference is that when a word is spoken or written it is not the only instance of it that can be created or destroyed.