/etm/ - EARTH TO MARS

/etm/ is a general on Jow Forums to discuss everything space related (with a concentration on Mars).

Attached: Marsc20.png (1720x2250, 3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

spacenews.com/spacenews-turns-30/
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5Q3EBQ1tc
youtube.com/watch?v=G9KQfnqukno
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8
youtube.com/watch?v=omWRxonewL4
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZImSTxbglI
youtube.com/watch?v=E0sbqqYo97s
history.com/news/buzz-aldrin-communion-apollo-11-nasa?fbclid=IwAR3fdQy7oNVb0Vu--y7JrRKxmHMBJzeZWyvucdpwSkhW8KzFsXUkiEfXp8w
ncregister.com/blog/kschiffer/when-astronauts-received-holy-communion-in-space
cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/04/13/russian-cosmonaut-takes-relic-orthodox-saint-space/
copenhagensuborbitals.com/missions/spica/
youtube.com/user/CphSuborbitals/featured
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I normally post the general once a week every saturday between 8pm to 10pm UK time. Please try to ignore the flat-earth fags.

>__news__
spacenews.com/spacenews-turns-30/

Attached: 00a.png (1919x1080, 1.16M)

>Recommended Reading
The Case For Mars, Robert Zubrin.
The High Frontier by Gerard O'Neill.
Colonies in Space, by T. A. Heppenheimer.
Rocket Propulsion Elements, Sutton.
Aerothermodynamics of Gas Turbine and Rocket Propulsion, Gordon Coates.
Space Mission Engineering, the new SMAD, Wiley, ed.
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, Bates, etc.
International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems, Steve Isakowitz.
Mining the Sky, John Lewis.
Rain of Iron and Ice, John Lewis.
We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves.
Voices from the Moon, Andrew Chaikin.
The Millennial Project, Marshall Savage.
Modern Engineering for Design of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines, David H. Huang.
Mars trilogy, Kim Robinson
The Martian Way, Isaac Asimov
Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein

Attached: MA10.jpg (550x924, 276K)

comfy videos

>Jeff Bezos: Going to Space to Benefit Earth
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
don't want to watch the whole event ? here's a quick rundown on what Jeff said
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5Q3EBQ1tc

>WE GO TOGETHER
youtube.com/watch?v=G9KQfnqukno

>NEW BFR Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA

>Educational Doc on Terraforming Mars:
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4

>Space X Interplanetary Transport System:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t

>"Making Life Interplanetary" by Elon Musk:
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t

>3 Companies Developing Game Changing Technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24

>Isaac Arthur - "Outward Bound - Colonising Mars"
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8

>Isaac Arthur - Mars: From science fiction, to science fact
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ

>Challenges of Colonizing Mars!
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8

Attached: marsc44.jpg (418x602, 27K)

bump

I went to the same school as von Braun

Also, as propagandistic as Disney is I can recommend those videos they did in collaboration with Nazi scientists for NASA.
They explain the fundamentals of aerospace engineering and other aspects of space science on a fundamental level

>Disney Animated Educational Video Man in Space 1955
youtube.com/watch?v=omWRxonewL4

>Disney Education Animation - Man and the Moon 1955
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZImSTxbglI

>Disney Educational Animation Mars and Beyond 1957
youtube.com/watch?v=E0sbqqYo97s

Dream on and fly high, white man!

Also inb4
>being religious is not compatible with space exploration

>Buzz Aldrin Presbytarian Communion on Moon
history.com/news/buzz-aldrin-communion-apollo-11-nasa?fbclid=IwAR3fdQy7oNVb0Vu--y7JrRKxmHMBJzeZWyvucdpwSkhW8KzFsXUkiEfXp8w

>Catholic Communion in SpaceShuttle Endeavour
ncregister.com/blog/kschiffer/when-astronauts-received-holy-communion-in-space

>Roscosmos Astronauts often take relics
cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/04/13/russian-cosmonaut-takes-relic-orthodox-saint-space/

these videos look great, thanks for linking them

Sweet. I'm going to watch some of these later

Bump for /etm/

I need to catch up on Isaac Arthur videos

Finally I get in early
How's it goin? We're moving slowly towards a firing...

Also Starship doesn't disappoint, it's really coming together.

you're welcome britbro

evening
its going good. a couple weeks ago jannie took down a few threads. we seem to be alright at the moment though

Bump

Elon Musk will be doing the annual presentation on 24th re progress being made for sending people to Mars. Also he plans to use the same starship to send people from one city to another (i.e. LA to Sidney). It's really incredible how much one man can achieve.

>Elon Musk will be doing the annual presentation on 24th re progress being made for sending people to Mars

24th of this month ? i've got to remember to check it out, i'm assuming it will be showed live like the other presentations

slow tonight
bump

Yeah, I read and posted in last weeks thread and saw that.

I'm fairly sure the date is the 28th, source for the 24th?

Coming back from Ad Astra, do people really despair that we might be alone? The line about Lee Jones looking at planets and seeing nothing.
Personally i saw a refinery, a lithium mine, a regolith field et cetera. Natural riches beyond our dreams.

Attached: 45679846578.jpg (801x600, 296K)

Do you think they'll need teachers on Mars?

Evening OP!

Attached: 1550960803262.jpg (800x1910, 547K)

You're right, initially it was scheduled for 24th.

Attached: 4574567.png (637x504, 67K)

worth a watch? the trailer looked pretty ok, heard that the director wanted to make it quite realistic

>Yeah, I read and posted in last weeks thread and saw that.
oh sorry lol, bad memory

cool. i might make a /etm/ on the day if there is a decent live stream

yes, 100%

evening m8

inb4 Elon reads these threads and put the stream on a saturday so he could shitpost live

J U S T

Attached: womeninscience.jpg (1873x1200, 919K)

bump

Attached: Falcon9-chan.jpg (1048x1500, 319K)

Why do you want to land on mars right now?
We cant mine on mars due to lack of energy sources
We cant refine on mars for the same reasons
We cant grow anything there on any serious scale for all the same reasons
Travel there takes enormous time, and we cant get back with our contemporary rockets
So, besides dick measuring contest, what is landing on mars supposed to achieve?
Same goes for the moon by the way, and all other stellar bodies, but in different proportions to different things

Yeah it's worth watching. There are some stupid moments in it but it wasn't Gravity. Lots of inner monologuing, i'm allergic to it but can't say i was bored.
As far as recent space hollywood goes i think the one with Goose was the best.

Australian mainstream media, this morning: “America has a plan to go to the moon”.

Me: “but... they said they already did”?

mfw

Attached: comfy_sleep.jpg (399x351, 67K)

also, good to hear about your project moving forward

Power sources are getting better, solar arrays and small nuclear setup will be enough for a small colony, NASA's kilopower project looks quite promising.
Musk's Boring company is looking into mars tunneling, no reason it can't expand into proper mining too, in fact it would be perfect for quarrying places like the moon as well.
Elon's brother Kimbal owns a company that grows hydroponically with lights in old shipping containers, definitely expect equipment like that to be brought to Mars.
They're beginning to work on ISRU tech for propellant production to both send ships and bring ships back, pic related. It would also bring costs down.

We do it because we can. The question isn't why, its why not? We've delayed too long already, it's been 50 years dammit. The stars are ours

Attached: ISRU.png (1259x601, 462K)

Good. It's all that I've got to contribute

bump

Attached: EAc9Av9UEAA0SBs.jpg (700x368, 51K)

Attached: 346123.jpg (593x436, 37K)

bump

Attached: 79341477cb760b1e17417c8856629a68--s-kitchen-retro-kitchens.jpg (474x670, 55K)

regarding business opportunities on Mars

>Water Purification/Production
Besides oxygen, of course, the only thing that will be more important on Mars than food will be clean drinking water. Scientists believe that there is water on Mars; however, they are not sure if it’s drinkable. Consequently, if there is water on Mars, someone will need to purify and make it suitable for consumption. If there is no water on Mars, then some really smart people will figure out a cost-effective way to produce H2O from hydrogen and oxygen. Either way, water will be big business on Mars.
>Hospitality and Entertainment
Nobody likes to eat or stay at home all the time, so there will be a need for entertainment, virtual reality centers, hotels, and restaurants of all kinds. If tourism to Mars ever becomes popular (and I think it will,) the need for hospitality and entertainment providers will be huge. As with all other things on Mars, eating out or taking a vacation will probably be expensive. Therefore, for those savvy chefs, hoteliers, and producers that get in on the ground floor, there will absolutely be plenty of money to be made in these industries.
>Construction/Infrastructure
Depending on the environmental concerns and requirements settlers face when they arrive on Mars, it’s hard to tell how construction and infrastructure will need to be approached. One this is certain, though, and that is people will need places to live and work as well as other necessities such as bridges, walkways, and streets (or something similar to streets.)

In the beginning, governments or authorities may handle initial construction projects. Still, I don’t think it will be long thereafter that the private sector will be doing most of the building. Building homes, condos and whatever else on Mars will be expensive and possibly dangerous. Therefore, expect contractors — big and small — to earn good livings in this field.

tfw we actually make Mars Bars real

Attached: 35353.png (662x600, 594K)

The water industry is important though, they have found huge huge amounts of surface ice already, not to mention there are polar ice caps just like Earth.
We also don't know yet if there might actually be running water underground too, if the temperature is warm enough far enough down, just have to wait till we get there and start digging desu

Attached: 82km-wide-ice-filled-crater__182602_.jpg (799x449, 259K)

>if you only knew how bad things really are

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 3.17.30 PM.png (262x204, 105K)

bump

Attached: 35323.png (346x1302, 386K)

>tfw like 20 people from Denmark are running a better space program than most nations
copenhagensuborbitals.com/missions/spica/
youtube.com/user/CphSuborbitals/featured

Attached: spicia.jpg (768x420, 47K)

yeah, water and air are going to be ridiculously important lol
its crazy to think how different everything would be if Mars was more Earth-like

bump

probably would look a lot like when the european empires rushed to the new world, only with more space privateers, and we'd be there already.

Attached: TerraformedMars.jpg (1113x1113, 680K)

>be 5 year old me
>have dream
>with my opa on a spaceship
>blast off toward mars
>crying because we left a bunch of my family
reoccurring dream

Attached: 1548077590617.jpg (796x422, 288K)

soon, user, hang in there

Attached: 1549357550872.png (746x512, 99K)

what jobs do you think will be in demand for mars?
that aren't engineers and scientists

actually it would be even more badass, like the film avatar but with like 3 or 4 major mining companies instead of blue cat people, and each with their own mercenary ships fucking shit up, stealing landing sites, looting all the cargo ships heading back to earth etc

Attached: 1557687450858.png (750x736, 643K)

farmers, maybe "explorers" (surveyors, geologists etc)

good question

maybe when things are settled, tourism like mentioned, cargo jobs like loading/unloading incoming starships etc, they might want actual employees onboard during transits to look after passengers and prepare them for take off and landing, the same way airlines have air hostess and cruise ships have live on-board staff

That's the point of going though, the possibilities are almost endless, being able to come up with new ideas and inspire new innovations that haven't been tried yet is a large part for going in the first place

Attached: df34k.gif (627x502, 940K)

actually now that I think about it, being paid to sit there and just look after new colonists coming in and out on the 6 month transits sounds comfy af

Attached: 1551641155388.jpg (1000x739, 255K)

no 7ft tall blue alien wife on mars
why even live

Attached: 1564136608961.png (720x610, 293K)

last bump

Attached: NASA-surveyers-wanted.png (669x1072, 974K)

I envision it being staffed similar to a mining camp on Earth. Assuming this to be the case, there will be a demand for cook staff, medical staff, maintenance workers and IT, heavy equipment operators, and drillers etc.

Attached: 5437094352.jpg (1300x963, 142K)

What's up, apes? Just getting back from running errands.

just gone past midnight here in bongland. im getting ready for nap time

Cool, Ad Astra!
Look at what people do at McMurdo Station for your answers. Then combine that with robotics to halve the manual labor.

sleep tight, anons

Attached: 1550956018384.jpg (1080x1080, 705K)

Based quote.

"Don't fucking tell me what to do." - White Men