Building a Fort Innawoods

A friend of mine had a grandmother who lived in a small rural house/cabin innawoods in West Virginia. (i live in Virginia, about 4 hrs away) She recently died and left about a square mile of it to my friend. He agreed to let me build a Fort/Bunker/Trench.

Which structure is the best balance between time, effort, and defense? I would like it to be easy to defend. I have a shovel and a weekend about every month.

Ideas/tips?

Also improvised landmines and other such defenses would be helpful.

Attached: un-bunker.jpg (550x359, 31K)

Maybe rent some equipment and build a pillbox? You could also just sandbag the shit out of it.

Where at in WV? If its not too far i might want to check it out.

Plan a square mile of bamboo. It puts out enough heat that in mass it would obscure IR from the air once fully grown.

Now bring in yellowjackets. one mile of yellow jacket hives placed every 500 square feet. They keep bad bugs away from your bamboo that you are legally growing.

Now...fire ants. mounds and mounds and mounds of fire ants. to feed the wasps. which keep away the bugs.

Bamboo-yellowjackets-fireants.

"come at me bro." aside from military intervention, no one will enjoy coming into your magical realm.

what do you bring for the fireants to eat though?

Pocahontas County

Magical realm of fucking wasps and fire ants fucking up your day

You, obviously.

how can i better weaponize the discount bees in a more landmine type fashion?

if i sprinkle can openers around the place and burrow myself deep inside the bamboo palace the TSA will defend for me

TSA will make sure the ATF is safe on the way there

>landmine type fashion
You're going to want yellow jackets for that. They are more than happy to make ground nests.

Attached: yellowjacket_nest_in_ground.jpg (800x528, 93K)

Where can i purchase those?
Do i need only a queen or do i need to buy a hive?

Underground: look up pdfs about fallout shelters and adapt them to your needs, constructing above-ground fortifications/structures as needed.
Above ground: look up traditional homesteading, cabin, and barn construction. Use nearby flagstones packed with smaller stones and/or concrete for cover in the surrounding area.
Use embrasures for all surface level cover with sufficient thickness, especially the main building. There are detailed U.S. field manuals for trench and foxhole construction, as well.

Otherwise you're talking about renting a backhoe, spending several thousands on fill, concrete, drainage, labor, etc. Or you're going to have to work your ass off learning how to do these things competently, including understanding the environmental wear that your structure is likely to face. Either way, you'd have a kickass bun/k/er at the end of it.

Hmmm you could try building a small fallout shelter with a capacity for expansion.

I tried making a small bunker with a couple friends, with a budget of 5 to 6 hundred bucks. Kind of useless because it had no purpose, it is currently neglected.

shipping containers buried about 5 feet deep

If youre going innawoods you should sell moonshine on the side while down here. Wetzel myself, and its a nice place to go innawoods

You sound like a resourceful fellow any ideas on how to find/transplant a colony of yellow jackets?

Depends on the well water. Also inform your friend you can help with keeping an eye on squatters and such. I'd look into investing in a small back hoe and going nuts in elevated areas. Just bring gas and go nuts. Have you looked into sailboat underground shelters on youtube? Plenty out there cheap and with some tweaking much easier than shipping containers.

Attached: backhoe better have muh money.jpg (960x699, 248K)

A hobby trench does sound comfy. Get a hatchet, couple of buckets, empty sandbags, a box of nails, tarp and a roll of twine. Easy to pack in, many options.

Attached: 89ee6a4c98c8834f7fbc6dd71f288b56.jpg (224x225, 15K)

Uhh senpai do not set about trying to make cover out of rocks. Don't get me wrong, rocks stop bullets but they also fragment into small, sharp chucks of rocks flying every which way at some pretty decent speeds and will fuck your shit up. Plus they don't absorb blast nearly as well as dirt. What I'm getting at is sandbags>rocks

Absolutely fuck those god damned things.

Had to fight 3 of those things for grandparents. "can you figure out how to get rid of them?" my god, had to do a 2+ type system of hose+shopvac and metal wire weed wacker. 6 days later I could work magic on it to end it all with fire for 3 days straight.

>Make a hole
>Put a container for your bunker
>Cover it up.

Containers make the best bunkers.

Attached: shippingcontainerbunker.jpg (640x446, 59K)

Attached: 1382380389449.jpg (1296x2542, 950K)

Attached: 1426988423033.png (1090x803, 206K)

Attached: Bullet Resistence chart.jpg (481x504, 38K)

Ready bunker with minimum effort

Attached: underground-container-home.jpg (615x462, 60K)

Attached: Retaining Walls Explained.jpg (2640x1000, 252K)

Attached: 1438492386819.png (723x1057, 226K)

Attached: 1438492589195.gif (708x1056, 107K)

Normally I’d say you’re insane if you think you’re going to build a fort/bunker/trench with just a shovel. But this is Jow Forums
First of all, digging sucks major ass but a hole in the ground is about the best defense you can make relatively easily. You should probably be able to find an army field manual on how to do it in an army surplus store.

a good PDF is Field Fortifications by The Army Institute for Professional Development. I either downloaded it from murdercube.com or found someone on the web.

Attached: 1320005789390.jpg (660x1024, 212K)

For a cheap and easy improvised land mine you can make toe poppers. Just a bullet in the ground waiting for a foot to shred

Attached: 61CC023A-78EA-4C3A-9B46-B9DACFB5C3E5.jpg (295x277, 28K)

Attached: 1478306720430.jpg (590x800, 124K)

I can’t imagine what kind of psychopath digs tunnels as a hobby. Digging trenches and stuff like that is one of the things I hated most in the army

Until they collapse, at which point you have a big mess of ugly scrap metal and dirt. Unless you’re in it when it caves in. In that case, you have a free-form post-industrial tomb.

My experience has been, you find them by stepping in them. Not the user you were asking, btw.

somehow i don't believe that contraption would work. something must be missing from the diagrams.

Don't do this user.
These containers are flimsy as shit. They're made to hold weight at their corners, not throughout their surface area. They will sink, rust, and cave, ESPECIALLY when reinforced (added weight on sides/top).
You'll have to build a foundation for them anyway, if you don't want them to sink or displace, so you're far better off building a sturdier base with cinder block.
The buried metal cans are more costly than they're worth. You will waste money on something that will leak and dilapidate, and not be easily repairable.

What if I put tin roofing sheets on top?

>Containers make the best bunkers.

Sure. Buy a headstone at the same time so you cover all your based.

Attached: 25047FAE-25D1-4648-9D07-06E65B21C79E.jpg (600x450, 32K)

>firecracker at best

Box culvert is even less effort, and it won’t collapse on you.

??????
My friend's dad lives in Back mountain road. Where abouts are you going to build this???

Look into compressed earth

Instead of adding all kinds of complex bullshit that will just add to the cost of your crypt, use something that was actually engineered to be buried; a plastic septic tank. Or, go deluxe and use box culvert sections.

>artys magical realm from 30km away

You're absolutely right, honestly. I guess I was more aiming for optimizing aesthetics against expense over what's purely optimal for defense. In a square mile of land you're going to have a much easier time finding large stones and filling stones and you can fill in the gaps as necessary for something like roman-style concrete. Making a single bracing wall and sloping the dirt that you moved from a trench away from it is probably the cheapest equivalent. You could probably stack some sandbags on the surface as well like a makeshift battlement.

Nice country down their. I was just at Cass for the weekend. I’m seriously thinking about getting some property down there.

Attached: CACA620E-6B94-4BC1-A904-E97E884BE92C.jpg (640x480, 93K)

I mean on solid ground with a metal plate, you would have a solid base so that the force could actually go up and at least mangle the foot, could ruin someones day.

Some cement and corrugated pipe will make you a nice pillbox.

Attached: 6E10A58A-14D2-428E-8375-E4C8338DBA3C.jpg (225x300, 42K)

Motte & Bailey

You don't need special materials to build it and it's relatively simple to build.

Dig a ditch (moat optional) around land you want to use. Use dirt from ditch to make a hill (or re-purpose an existing hill). Build your fort on top of the hill. Clear the trees from around the edge of your property to get a better, unobstructed view. Use the cut down trees to build fences around your place. You're pretty much done.

They were built by unskilled workers with hand tools in comparatively shorts amounts of time compared to other castle designs (1-2 years). With some rented heavy equipment, you could probably do it faster.

Attached: l-rs-50183272_vraauu.jpg (1920x1285, 442K)

It should be noted that motte & baileys use rammed earth construction.

build a small tulou using rammed earth walls, or a drier mix of easily shaped concrete (like the romans may have used)

Build a flak tower (pic related).

But without memeing just build a replica of Nacht der untoten so you can rent it to 13 year old movie makers. It's actually based on a Japanese headquarters bunker in Peleliu, which explains the lack of thick solid walls that are usually seen in German bunkers.

Attached: 7277548aa8b53521d4db20b9429aa9b3.jpg (1600x1392, 580K)

looks familiar

Attached: 6a011279022a6e28a4017ee83b86d8970d.gif (565x635, 93K)

Than`s user, that`s a very good suggestion.

This too, is good, thanks

Nice.
I did work down there a few years ago. Nice land. supposedly, it's the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi. If I were ever to build a bug-out/off-grid location, it would be there.

Based unnaground hobbiest.

Healthful and invigorating recreational tunnel digging, truly the gentleman's hobby.

If you want a bunker with amour where you would never ever be but enemy's would, could rock be better to fuck up enemy's with shrapnel? Just theoretically

Large rocks staggered to mess with vehicle advance. With broken glass littered in the tall grass on the attackers side.

I don't see why you wouldn't fortify your existing house instead?

Step 1 you need a place to stay when you are out there. i'd build a small (12x12 or 10x10 cabin). Then i'd cut trees down and make a small enclosed fort similar to this posts. At some point youd want to add a walkway around the interior of the fort wall.

If you spend 1 weekend a month out there how much progress will you ever make. Some of these other options are years of effort. The small cabin could be a long weekend.

I'd also make a pole barn for storing tools and such.

If you want to feel fancy there are other construction methods availble but some plywood and 2x4 will get you a useable place to hang out inawood on the cheap.

>Static defenses for small teams

You gon get mortared.

Trip wire attached to the box the nest is in. Place the box at knee level on a tree so when they trip it it gets knocked onto the ground...buzzing ensues

Back Mt Road in near Durbin? That's the same street

too many entrances, SWAT trains to remove barricaded suspects from small houses... But a Pillbox/Trench/Bunker/undergroundsecretevillain'slair? we'll see.

Why are you planning for a SWAT raid, and why isn't it easier to just stop whatever the fuck you're doing that's going to get you SWAT raided? If they can't extract you, they'll just burn or bomb you out.

Why do you need a gun, just stop doing whatever it is that will make you need defense.

If you are getting raided by a SWAT team, you have lost the conflict before it started. Your options are try to kill a few random people with kinda shitty jobs and families and then kill yourself or spend forever in prison, surrender and lawyer the fuck up, or best of all: not fucking be there.

I know which option I'm choosing, if I have a choice.

Build a VC tunnel, complete with traps, explosives, etc.

The correct answer was: Because I can.

I don't have a need a fort to protect me from SWAT, i want one, and if i'm making one anyway it may as well be a real fort.

Also if my R&D in the wasp related weaponry fields gets anywhere you bet the US army/SWAT will want to get their hands on my flying armies.

The moral of the story is that they want to SWAT my flies.

Lol. You do you, but if it were me and I had a million bucks, I would spend 90% on evasion, 10% on a legal fund, and 0% on anti-SWAT fortifications.

>He agreed to let me build a Fort/Bunker/Trench.
i recognize your veiled attempt to revive the unnerground meme and approve.
WE DIG
WE DIE
WE DIG AGAIN

Sandbags filled with concrete

Attached: P1010697.jpg (1600x1200, 1.09M)

If you put even 1% wasp/hornet/bees related weaponry you would know what i'm talking about, and you would realize the need to retreat unnaground.

Attached: c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg (800x534, 86K)

impressive

Pssh

Attached: delet_this_tank.jpg (813x477, 130K)

Tanks cant go where i can.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (800x600, 111K)

>mfw someone took the molepill

Attached: th[1].jpg (474x224, 22K)

>"square mile"
>640 acres
>in Virginia

So we're talking about $3,000,000 worth of land and you're going to build a fort and tunnels?

>Anonymous
Its in West Virginia, and the land is technically shared between 2 people one of whom is my friend on account of the deadperson, the other is the deadperson's brother. Im not sure where the other person's side is but i know there is a fence separating them somewhere. He is bedridden anyway so i doubt he will care. My friend let me build on his side i will stop when i see the fence.

user make a standard foxhole with camouflage netting hanging above , wood boards on the floor and wood boards all around , Presto simple foxhole, or if your desperate make a spider hole like the japs had in WW2 pic related its just a small defensive box with a camouflaged trap door

Attached: Spiderhole.jpg (300x168, 13K)

>sailboat underground shelters

I would like to know more.

Attached: Desire to learn more.gif (627x502, 940K)

Damn bury that thing ina mound of dirt and sod some grass over leaving just the slits exposed and it is absolutely Savage. Dozens of those 100yds apart covering each other with tunnels linking them sounds like a vietnam-level nightmare

what if he poured layer of concrete
then put container in
then fill the rest of the hole with concrete
then cover it up
surely this would a solution to most of the problems you described?

not going to lie that looks pretty sweet

Attached: 1396898786051.jpg (2780x1884, 2.17M)

Is this for real? This is a comic book super villain tier lair.

Not that guy or an engineer. There was pictures in the news of some guys that had buried a few of these getting caught doing some illegal stuff in the news a couple years ago. They looked like they only had a foot or two of dirt on top. Inside pictures they had reinforced the middle with pillars, it still looked like it was crumpling badly. Those don't seem sturdy enough for that sort of thing at all.

you'd still have to reinforce the inside, before your pour the concrete, because the container only bears weight on the corners not the body. also you would need to put rebar for structural purposes when pouring concrete after your concrete sets you probably could remove interior structure but I wouldn't recommend that.

I kinda did this. Basically just dug a lot, then lined the bottom with plastic sheeting, gravel, and some PVC pipes that led down the hill as drainage. Then had a small shed built. Instead of covering the shed up, I had a porch constructed that covered the hole. So unless you go behind my property (which is hard to do without actually trespassing), you'd never know there's a building there. Basically so when the county looks at satellite maps, they won't know I have a huge ass building on my property, just a porch.

yellowjackets

Get a quote on hesco barriers. You can set up the first layer, get some soil delivered, rent a front end loader and a vibratory earth compacter for a few days, and be set up in a weekend with thick fucking rammed earth walls that will stop anything short of tank rounds. Add chain link fence on top to deter grenade attacks and razor/barbed wire to discourage sappers/climbers.

Come in a variety of sizes, also available from chinks, but I don't trust them to not fuck up something so simple where material quality is invisible yet very important.

Attached: Sand-Filled-Hesco-Barrier-Military-Perimeter-Security.jpg (600x400, 48K)

You sound boring as fuck user.

if he got hesco barriers, then all he would need is a front end loader, dude has about of square mile of material.

>bamboo in North America
NO.

A natural barrier is a good idea OP, but use Osage Orange. Native to North America and won't grow so fast it makes your land useless for anything but growing more bamboo. Buy a bunch of saplings, plant closely, tie together so they intertwine as they grow. Farmers/ranchers used to use these Osage orange hedges to keep livestock in and predators out before barbed wire. Plus it produces a fruit with edible seeds. Anyone who knows about WW2 knows how effective a good thick hedge is a limiting infantry movement.

Fucking nice, hadn't seen these before, cover it in rammed earth with some concrete drain pipes giving remote access and you're a damn dangerous dude.

Also you can buy used Jersey barriers for cheap to bury and use as dragon's teeth/tank traps to keep vehicles away from your main wall of rammed earth so the enemy can't just bring a ladder truck close or a bulldozer to ram thru your wall(s). (ideally you should have a smaller wall and then a bigger wall)

I think it's just a cheap way to build an arched ceiling by burying a boat upside-down. There are plenty of (surface-level) ancient structures that used the same principle to distribute weight, and it works for underground structures as well. It helps to move pressure away from the center of the roof--mitigating the risk of a collapse.

Not the user you're responding to, btw.

>Fire ants
>West Virginia
Too cold, m9.