My grandfather just gave me a few guns. One of them is a Springfield armory model 1903...

My grandfather just gave me a few guns. One of them is a Springfield armory model 1903. The serial number corresponds with manufacture in 1916 and from what I can see it's all original with VERY light wear. It's in very good condition. I'm not looking to sell it but I am curious as to how much it's worth. Pic included

Attached: Snapchat-983524799.jpg (720x1483, 212K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>sell

I don't know how you can see straight with all those cocks in your mouth.

If it's in all original trim, the better part of a grand.

You have an awesome grandfather, BTW.

Hahaha fuck you m8

Yeah he's the fucking man you have no idea. He bought it for 25$ in the 50s and never got to use it. Old farmer turned fisherman. Once he started the fishing business he had no time to play with them

A historically significant rifle with original parts in very good condition can fetch 1000 dollars, maybe more if you find the right buyer.

>t. bought an m1917 in that condition for that price

how do i go about getting a gun made that can last generations? i dont really care to pass on a glock to my grandson

You better not sell that unless you're either as homosexual as this thread suggests, you can't be trusted around guns, you hate history and/or America, or you either hate money or need money so fast you're willing to get significantly less in the long run. Those things are only gonna be worth more and more and if you keep it as nice as it is now its value will exponentially increase. If it went from 50 to 1000 in sixty years I'll get even higher in years to come. I'm only listing financial benefits here because from your immediate want to sell such a fine potential heirloom and one of the greatest bolt guns ever issued I have to assume you lack either a soul or at the very least lack the ability to love. Alternatively, I'll buy it for five bucks now if you just need that cash.

Attached: image.jpg (640x640, 289K)

I will never sell this. I will live homeless and hunt for food with this rifle for my life if I have to. I just want to know how special it is. I literally just found it in a dusty old zip up bag in his closet. I'm very close with them so he just said keep it. Wouldn't even accept my money. Included is the others he gave me

Attached: Snapchat-599385388.jpg (932x1920, 418K)

>Inb4 the (((low number meme))) patrol finds this thread

What do you guys think of the condition?

Attached: 20180524_234515.jpg (4032x2268, 3.09M)

Looks nicer than the action on my NRA sporter. Take that sucker out and shoot it.

Learn to read you illiterate nigger, OP specifically said he's not going to sell it.

>I'm not looking to sell it
good on you, and good on grandpappy for not chopping it up as a sporter

Damn good for a rifle over 100 years old, check the head spacing on that girl and take her for a spin.

>meme

I'm going to take it to a family friend who's a weapons guy /retired officer to inspect it. I went online and verified it was inspected and stamped by J. Sumnar Adams [JSA] as well as the barrel and all including parts are included and intact

Attached: 20180524_234400.jpg (4032x2268, 2.95M)

You own a family heirloom

it's beautiful, how's the bore look? clean it up, give it a good oiling and rubbing then take it out to shoot, after a day at the range it'll run like butter forever if you keep it lubed and shoot every once ina while. I do see some light surface rust though, get that take care of carefully with some extra fine steel wool and you're set for gucci pics for facebook and instagram.

If you plan on disassembling it yourself, consider squirting some oil on the screws and contact points first so you don't fuck the finish up since it's been sitting in a sealed container for so long

about $650-$900 depending on the buyer, condition of gun, etc

commission a custom pistol or rifle from a renown gunsmith builder. theres a few out there. the sky is limited by your wallet

dont listen to this absolute retard.

>thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/
>M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

>To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

>CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. SUCH RIFLES SHOULD BE REGARDED AS COLLECTOR’S ITEMS, NOT “SHOOTERS”.
>CMP ALSO DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, REGARDLESS OF SERIAL NUMBER, WITH A SINGLE HEAT-TREATED “LOW NUMBER” BOLT. SUCH BOLTS, WHILE HISTORICALLY CORRECT FOR DISPLAY WITH A RIFLE OF WWI OR EARLIER VINTAGE, MAY BE DANGEROUS TO USE FOR SHOOTING.

dont shoot it, google "low serial 1903"

you fuckers are lucky someone halfway intelligent browses Jow Forums every once in a while. now fuck off thats your only warning

Looks like it's in really good condition, but just so you're aware Springfield 1903's that were made before Feb. of 1918 (under serial number 800,000),
were only heat treated once which caused some receivers and bolts to become brittle and have a chance of fracturing and blowing up in your face,
so it isn't recommended that they be shot with.
According to the CMP: "such rifles should be regarded as collector's items, not shooters."
Granted, it is very unlikely that that will happen anyways and it should be perfectly fine to shoot I'm sure, but I don't know if I would want to risk it.
The last thing I would want is my grandpa's rifle going kaboom right in my face.

My grandfather died that I was raised by and lived with and my aunt took most of his guns. Two notable ones were a 1903 from 1911, and a Longbranch Enfield from 1942. Both in perfect condition. I wish I had them right now