The MBDA Meteor is the pinnacle air-to-air missile technology. AIM-120s wish they could be this good

The MBDA Meteor is the pinnacle air-to-air missile technology. AIM-120s wish they could be this good.

Attached: Gripen_with_MBDA_Meteor_2.jpg (3500x2330, 1.3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20130726161152/http://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/25_Meteor_for_sale.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ramjets
I actually agree.

Attached: rafale_cvn_qualification.jpg (6016x4016, 1.59M)

If the numbers hold up it seems about right.
Do you by any chance know how wide-spread the Meteor is today? Is it being fielded on a large scale and by whom?

Has the Meteor been accepted into service elsewhere than Sweden?
I read that the Eurofighter and Rafale completed trials but I haven't seen any articles about France or UK yet.

The only confirmed user is Sweden who deployed it in 2016, UK and France may have it but I haven't seen any source to prove it.

> go for hi g turn
> choke out your motor

who cares what you have when usa gonna do all your wars anyway, eh ?

Not a ramjet. A ducted rocket.

NOT the same thing at all.

I disagree, pinnacle means reaching the apex, the top, comprehending the dao. The Meteor is not even aero ballistic, it does not reach space before plateau-ing to hit Radar planes. The Meteor is not unstoppable and can be detected by radars unlike the superior Chinese alternative that has no analog anywhere in the world. If this is the best that the West can offer then I am not impressed.

Not sure if this is satire or not but in any case LMAO.

10/10 chink posting.

>quantum butthurt
Impressive.

ductrocket is good in some cases, bad in others.

If you take longstick shots below 30kft it grants incredible range with a high NEZ.

If you take shots around 40kft, pure boost rockets have greater range and near the same NEZ.

Ductrockets are built to answer the question of "what if bandits stay at low altitude". You fire them on an enemy aircraft, they stay NOE and run, the Meteor chases them down. Amraams cannot do this as air-pressure on the deck is extremely high and the burn time is pretty quick. This results in a rapid loss of airspeed and eventually stall.

One key feature of pure-boost motors like the 120D is it gets extremely fast, Mach 5-6. The rapid closer rate grants weapon ARH sooner, ie pitbulls. This allows better BVR vs BVR engagements as you can turn and burn sooner. If a Meteor equipped Gripen fought a Aim-120D equipped Gripen, all the 120D aircraft has to do is stay high and fast to win the spear chuck battle.

Is there any literature on this or is it speculations on your part?
What you say seem plausible but there has been rumors about USA acquiring Meteors or making Meteorish missiles on their own to fill the extreme range niche left by the Phoenix.
If the AIM-120D is better at the long range game, what would be the basis of such rumors?

Your face when salvos of Meteors wipe scores Chinese communists from the skies.

Attached: gen kill.jpg (1920x1080, 905K)

not saying you're retarded, but you kinda are

Attached: Ohne Titel.png (1132x302, 89K)

Here are some stats
-------
Shooter Alt: 40kft
Shooter Mach: 1.6
Target Alt: 25kft
Target Mach: 0.7

Aim-120D
Raero: 140~miles
Ropt: 110miles
Rtr:45miles
Missile Max Alt: 95kft
Missile Max Mach: 6

MBDA Meteor
Raero: 100~miles
Ropt: 80miles
Rtr:75miles
Missile Max Alt: 40kft
Missile Max Mach: 4
-------
Shooter Alt: 15kft
Shooter Mach: 1
Target Alt: 1kft
Target mach: 0.7

Aim-120D
Raero: 60miles
Ropt: 40miles
Rtr:15miles
Missile Max Alt: 60kft
Missile Max Mach: 3

MBDA Meteor
Raero: 70~miles
Ropt: 60miles
Rtr:55miles
Missile Max Alt: 40kft
Missile Max Mach: 4
------
These stats are not official but theory work done by various aviation forums and rocket mathematics.

Currently Russian doctrine is to have No-Fly-Zones above 20kft using their HIMAD systems. This forces engagements to low altitudes for their numerous SHORAD systems mixed into every combat battalion. It is expected in a Russia vs NATO engagement to see this put to use where all Russian fighters maintain low altitude to their advantage. The Meteor missile grants an option to out-range anything Russia currently has in low altitude engagements.
US Doctrine is to maintain Air Supremacy with high altitude fast fighters like the dated F-15C and the newer F-22. The Aim-120D is a continuation of that philosophy to keep fighters at high altitude and win BVR engagements.

RAMJET uses compressed oxygen to ignite with liquid fuel. This grants impulse power for many minutes even hours.

Meteor is a rocket that uses oxygen from an outside source to ignite solid fuel. This supplies power for seconds or a few minutes. This is why many don't call it ramjet but rather a ducted rocket.

>theory work done by various aviation forums

Attached: a58320f3fb0b4805e56d9cf92d0bbc02.jpg (500x648, 25K)

Attached: 5345341145.jpg (216x247, 16K)

Journalists who aren't familiar with the peculiarities of propulsion call a ducted a ramjet but they're flat out wrong.

Solid fuel ramjets and ducted rockets

1. Are completely different designs.
2. Do not operate on the same principle beyond both being airbreathers.

That's not true either.

Christ why are there so many idiots on here. Do I really have to explain EVERYTHING?

Second from left is obviously a traitor. Kill him.

Here's the difference between a Ducted Rocket and a Solid Fuel Ramjet.

Solid Fuel Ramjet is essentially a solid rocket motor (2), with an integrated booster (1) so that it reaches a certain speed. Once that speed is reached, the booster is burned out, one or more inlets (3) open and the solid rocket motor takes over in airbreahting mode.

Ducted Rocket is essentially a solid fuel gas generator (2) with an integrated booster (1) so that it reaches a certain speed, then the inlets ope (4) and the solid fuel gas generator takes over and the chamber where the now burnt out booster was, becomes the combustion chamber for the gas. If it has a mechanism (3) to regulate how much gas streams into the comustion chamber, it is called a Variable Flow Ducted Rocket, like on Meteor or the American Coyote anti ship missile.

There you have it. So again, solid fuel ramjets and ducted rockets are not the same thing at all. They are often mistaken as being the same but they aren't.

Attached: difference.png (424x218, 30K)

N O T I M P R E S S E D

O

T

I

M

P

R

E

S

S

E

D

>These stats are not official but theory work done by various aviation forums

Attached: 1523599936678.jpg (480x474, 16K)

>Missile Max Mach: 6
Source? According to everything I could find on google, Aim-120D's max speed is Mach 4.

>making Meteorish missiles

Attached: t3_terminator_missile_2.jpg (1000x1139, 76K)

gripen is cute

Since the AIM-120D is pretty new, the T3 is probably a couple of years away.
I wonder how the Meteorski variant of the R-77 is faring, it's been in the Ready-Any-Day-Now™ for ages and its intended launch platform, the PAK-FA, is a bit of a dumpster fire, I have my doubts we'll see it anytime soon either.

Attached: 1510705420759.png (1024x1512, 1.14M)

>Ready-Any-Day-Now™
LOL

It's from MDBA's fucking website morons

web.archive.org/web/20130726161152/http://www.rusi.org/downloads/assets/25_Meteor_for_sale.pdf
why does MBDA continue to use the 2-3 times better than amraam claim when the marketing claim was originally against the aim-120b not the aim120d? why do they continue to use the phrase "current contemporaries" instead of ever daring to say aim-120d? are they ashamed for being so deceptive?

Attached: 1289099042219.jpg (512x384, 29K)

>Not a ramjet. A ducted rocket.
Huh, interesting
>NOT the same thing at all.
>With an air-augmented rocket, an otherwise conventional rocket engine is mounted in the center of a long tube, open at the front. As the rocket moves through the atmosphere the air enters the front of the tube, where it is compressed via the ram effect. As it travels down the tube it is further compressed and mixed with the fuel-rich exhaust from the rocket engine, which heats the air much as a combustor would in a ramjet. In this way a fairly small rocket can be used to accelerate a much larger working mass than normal, leading to significantly higher thrust within the atmosphere.When you look at it, though, it's pretty similar - except that instead of using oxidizer from the atmosphere or seperate ignition you use a solid fuel rocket as both the heat source and additional thrust. It's less a ramjet-augmented rocket and more a rocket-heated ramjet.

>RAMJET uses compressed oxygen to ignite with liquid fuel.
You're retarded. A ramjet is a broad class of jet engine designs that use ram air pressure instead of a mechanical compressor to force air into the "combustion chamber". How you heat it doesn't really matter since the effect is very similar. Case in point, project pluto and the nuclear ramjet. If I saw the "ducted rocket" without knowing what it's called I would describe it as a ramjet that uses solid rocket fuel for heating and additional compression.

Besides, how long you can burn is very much a function of how much thrust you want and how much fuel you carry. Changing it to liquid fuel wouldn't dramatically extend its range with similar energy density fuel. No ramjet "proper" that size can go for hours even if it exists.

Attached: accademic-conference-3-728.jpg (728x546, 111K)

What it is is a combination of a ramjet and a solid rocket, it's nothing radically new or drastically different. When it is operating in the open intake configuration, calling it a ramjet is pretty fair.

Most pure ramjets require a solid fuel accelerator stage, this pretty much combines them both. By using a gas generator instead of a gas tank you save weight and complexity on plumbing and ignition.

Someone should edit this with a queen of spades on her tit instead.

Kill yourself.

Why? Swedish women are notoriously bbc addicts. Their men are fucking pussies anyway..

I'm actually an authority on this exact subject, I wont say how, but let me chime in. (without actual specifics).
I'm going to assume Raero is Rmax, Ropt is still Ropt and Rtr is Rne. Maybe its a language thing.

You're out of your mind if you think AMRAAM is getting anywhere near 140Nm even dot centered on a closing target. Meteor can't realistically fire over 100Nm on a target of that nature. Even at 40kft. Hell, I'd love to see a good Radar track quality for anything thats not co-bearing/alt/speed.

Lower altitudes are closer to realistic, but still very far from. There's a much larger gap between Meteor and AMRAAM and all 3 stats are lower.

Can't speak for any of the on missile stats; max alts and speeds.

Any other questions I'm happy to answer so long as the answers can be easily obtained on the internet.

>Be french
>first time seeing a decent top notch weapon loaded on the Rafale
>seems no bullshit
>omagad we're still able to build stuff in Europe

Fuck off back to Jow Forums and ask them to spit on you.

Thanks for that.
Why come to Jow Forums given it is such a shithole?

I’m in the UK so my exposure to weapons is limited, I like the pics.

And also for that warm fuzzy feeling when your subject you know the most about comes up. It’s not often I get to talk about AA missile firings with people outside of work.

Here are some USAF DLZ descriptions.

Raero(Range Aerodynamic) - Maximum Kinematic range. It assumes the target will not maneuver and that the missile is perfect. Missile will impact just before stall.

Ropt (Range Optimum) - Represents the range when the target is assumed to turn when the missile is at 75% of its flight time. Non-USAF terminology may use the term Rmax.

Rtr (Range Turn and Run) - Represents the maximum range shot assuming that the target performs a turn-and-run maneuver at launch. Non-USAF terminology may use Rmax2, NEZ, Rne.

Public records of the Aim-120D show a DeltaV capable of attaining 140 miles kinematic range at optimal altitude and a quick sprint to M1.6
The USAF claims an Rmax range of over 100miles in sub-optimal conditions.

Shadow Storm integration on the F-35, yay or nay?

>Public records of the Aim-120D show a DeltaV capable of attaining 140 miles kinematic range at optimal altitude and a quick sprint to M1.6
Gonna need some sauce on that doe.

Oh I was off on the comparisons then, I was using UK/Eurofighter terminology.
Storm shadow is a fantastic weapon, it being integrated into Typhoon adds so much more functionality to an AA/AS aircraft.
I have no experience with F35 at all, I wasn’t aware it was even getting SOMs. I can’t see it being a worthwhile project to clear it for F35 when Typhoon can carry it, as it’s does a pretty specific job.

>USAF claim 100 miles in sub optimal conditions

Yeah no.

>Public records of the Aim-120D show a DeltaV capable of attaining 140 miles kinematic range at optimal altitude and a quick sprint to M1.6
>The USAF claims an Rmax range of over 100miles in sub-optimal conditions.
gib sauce pls

Holy shit
What a piece of crap. That thing will never fly

I doubt the Scalp/storm-shadow will ever get on the f-35 with the konsberg missile almost certified. Also, fr and UK are working on a new anti-ship/cruise missile, so why spend so much on it?

I can’t see storm shadow being put on F35 by the UK at all, perhaps operators that require the capability but don’t have access to other SOMs? I’m unsure.

I’ve not heard much about the UK FR anti ship missile, but it should have anything to do with storm shadow. It’s a pre programmed stand off missile, can’t be used against moving targets such as ships.

Attached: meanwhile_china.png (795x529, 1.01M)

>School uniforms.
>China.
Chink children go to school in tracksuits.

Attached: Tracks.jpg (904x679, 92K)

Attached: XfEDT3u.png (720x616, 369K)

That's Indonesia.

Just a meme missile, more expensive for a little more range