Got some questions for Jow Forums. Recently became a hasguns

Got some questions for Jow Forums. Recently became a hasguns.

My uncle gifted me his Colt AR15A2 govt. model as a graduation gift. It's my first gun and AR15. Are there any tips to make the rifle's length less awkward if I have to use it indoors? Which defense ammo is recommended for a 20" barrel?

Is there anything special in a Daniel Defense rifle that makes it worth the premium? From research I have done, I can build/assemble one with better parts for the same or less.

Attached: 19443983672_2c9bec41db_h.jpg (1600x565, 361K)

Just take a hacksaw and shorten the barrel and handguard (you can do both at the same time with an angle grinder).

Question answers in order
>no. Dont use a 20 inch ar15 as a home defense gun if the length is an issue
>federal greentip 62 grains.
>no
>correct

>Are there any tips to make the rifle's length less awkward if I have to use it indoors?
There's a technique for really tight corners where you put the stock over you shoulder and cant the rifle a little bit to keep the sights inline with your eye. Your eye will get very close to the rear sight but the recoil is so light you won't ring yourself in the face. Obviously the A2 is pretty much a tent pole that you're going to have to get used to for use indoors if that's what you're sticking with.

>Which defense ammo is recommended for a 20" barrel?
M193, Barnes TSX, FBIT3, Speer Gold Dot, T556TNB1

>My uncle gifted me his Colt AR15A2 govt.
so jealous, you got something awesome and you'd better cherish the hell out of it. it's pretty long, for sure, but if the Marines have been able to make it work for so long then it's probably not all that bad.

Rifle length is my favorite length. Get good at handling the rifle and the awkwardness will subside. Tuck the stock under your arm if you're really a manlet. 20" barrels will sling M193/M855/M Anything good enough to kill someone dead indoors.

Daniel Defense offers high quality control and quality parts and their fancy brand stamped on your rifle. I own one but if I wasn't so invested into guns in the first place where I neglect other things in life I wouldn't have. They're neat rifles get it if you want it don't if you don't.

Attached: AR15A4_CM603Early.jpg (3264x2448, 2.76M)

Sorry to hijack your thread temporarily but this is a PSA to folks that want the Brownells Retro Rifle. I'll keep it short.

RECEIVERS AND SIGHTS = GOOD
FURNITURE = SHIT, GET MILSURP ITS WORTH THE COST

>Are there any tips to make the rifle's length less awkward if I have to use it indoors?
Quit being a pussy. Rifle is fine.
Any softpoint.
>Is there anything special in a Daniel Defense rifle that makes it worth the premium?
No.
>I can build/assemble one with better parts for the same or less.
Just use the fucking rifle you already have. There's nothing wrong with it.

Am I missing out on the new lightweight barrels and freefloated handguards and all that?

> Are there any tips to make the rifle's length less awkward if I have to use it indoors?

20 inchers are always going to be the more unwieldy AR variant. Especially the heavy barreled ones. But don't think of it as a negative, they're like the do-all/KISS rifle.

It's hard to go wrong with anything desu if we're talking about self defense ranges and not like something out to 100 yard or more. You could look for x855s or something if you wanted to go with something well known and basic. Or literally any of the big ammo companies defense ammo would work.

>Is there anything special in a Daniel Defense rifle that makes it worth the premium?

They're quality but the AR market us full of quality gear. DD has lots of brand recognition so you're also paying for the name. I have some of their things and I like them.

>I can build/assemble one with better parts for the same or less.

Yes and no, it depends. You need to factor in the tools for starters. And also more importantly, there's a very good chance you build never stop building it. You'll go with a different handguard maybe...then a different forward grip...different RDS then maybe decide to get a scope...then decide to go back to irons...seriously it doesn't end. It's very common to have 1 gun shed a whole second gun in parts. And this is very expensive.

My suggestion, shoot what you have now and focus on building your own 16" upper from scratch. This will be for your home defense use you sound interested in. It might look wonky with a rifle length buttstock but it still shoots fine. You could even use the BCG from what you have in it. This will give you a high quality upper (if you used good parts) and it won't be too expensive AND you can still shoot it. Next build your own lower. Boom! now you have 2 guns.

No leave your A2 alone. Its very accurate for the class of rifle it is. Don't fuck with your A2. Don't be fucking gay.

You're not going to realize the accuracy potential of freefloated handguards. If you always shot at a bench and measured your groups with calipers then maybe but otherwise you're not going to notice any difference. Don't get hung up on it.

CSPD SWAT used A2's until 2008 suck it up faggot!

Attached: 1475792802129.png (1920x1200, 3.64M)

I have no intention of messing with the A2, which is why I want to build another one later. That's why I was asking about the DD rifles.

Not really. Lightweight barrels in an AR suffer from more drifting just like in any rifle.
Don't fuck it up - get an optic mount for the carrying handle at some point if you feel like it.

You're better off assembling one yourself from a stripped lower unless you can find a used one for a good deal.
A home-build with a match grade barrel and trigger can outshoot any DD for less money.

You could always put an A1 stock on to take about an inch off the LOP and make it a little less long feeling, no permanent modification and you can put the A2 stock back on to keep it original whenever you want.

Don't sell it just because you're short on money. You will still regret it years later.

this

I'd just wait and buy a cheap carbine kit. You can buy them now for like 200-300 on some sites like cerratic or 22mods4all. Are parts are cheap as hell now

>I can build/assemble one with better parts
Please list the better parts.

The only thing special about Daniel Defense is that they support gun control.

Calm down with you tactidouche fantasies, you probably shouldn’t be shooting a rifle in your house anyways. Use a pistol for home defense

>you probably shouldn’t be shooting a rifle in your house anyways. Use a pistol for home defense

This is retarded. You will always shoot a rifle better than a pistol, especially when you're shitting yourself at 2am.

Correct answer for home defense:
>grab rifle
>get behind something
>point rifle at bedroom door
>wait

If you have kids obviously go secure them.

Is it one of those autistic colts with the receiver block and retarded bolt carrier?

Dont fuck with the rifle unless it’s broken. 20 inches is fine for indoors, don’t listen to armchair commandos. The rifle is gift why are you already considering replacing it?

Frangable for indoors.
No, ignore people saying otherwise. They're trying to justify spending 3x the price for a fancy name. Don't get bottom shelf parts and it will be just as good if not better.

rifle is fine as is man, oil it, love it, cherish it

Don't slap tacticool shit on it, keep it how it is.

Attached: eastgerman.png (351x369, 164K)

For wielding it, see For ammo, speer is good. I use VMax ammo in it. Critical defense/duty has given me nothing but issues. Don't use tracers unless you're a madman, in which case, use only tracers. Any JSP that can be had on the cheap should work. Finally frangible is an option if you have to worry about overpenetration.
Finally, if you have to be an autist and not use a 20" barrel. Just get yourself a cheap upper and keep it on for HD purposes. I've done that when I only had access to a 24" varmit AR.

That's neat as fuck. I usually consider AR-15s the epitomy of blandness, but the older models are always awesome. If I were you I'd keep that thing forever, as it is.

hold it like this

Attached: 1514079675973.png (494x559, 167K)

nah. use it to work on marksmanship as is and or do this >Which defense ammo is recommended for a 20" barrel?
Defensive rifle ammo? I don't think thats a specific thing for 5.56/.223,i ts a fucking rifle. It dumps more energy on target than most defensive pistol loads. but open tip match 77grn is pretty neat.
meh. if you have trowing money then go for it. you'll get range cred. It won't make you a better shot. but leave the colt as is.
>can build/assemble one with better parts for the same or less
Maybe. Its not a question of "will it be better", rather will it fit the role you want it to fill. If you just can't leave the a2 alone then get a complete upper assembly the has the features you want and leave the lower alone. Just don't start cannibalizing a perfectly fine a2 to be tactical.

or fuck it. tear it down to the lower, go full tacticool, and slowly realize that it was fine/better than what you built. hopeful you saved all the parts and didn't butcher them.

I dont know why ppl consider the the a2 awkward to use in close quarters, its basically the exact same over all length as a mossberg 590a1

> Which defense ammo is recommended for a 20" barrel?
It depends on the twist rate of your barrel. assuming its a 1:7 then literally any softpoints are fine as well as heavier (~75 gr) otm and such. I would not recommend anyone use m855 as it basically has the worst terminal performance of any 556 available on the market although it is fairly cheep

ars are like computers, you can buy a pretty good rifle but you can get an equivalent rifle for less money if you're willing to build one.

Attached: 1493177758156.jpg (640x252, 67K)

>home defense mobility
Fix bayonet
>ammo
Green tip m855 62gr 5.56 ammo
>daniel defense
They are good, if you like their style.
>build with cheaper parts
Ya you can build one yourself thats better and cheaper, but youre still gonna pay more for a DD handguard than most stuff. There stuff is solid though.

This

Just buy an upper with a shorter barrel

I'm not going to mess with the A2. I want to build another AR in the future, but for now, the A2 is all I have.

I know it's bait but

Attached: tumblr_mogjeqsE1B1reqpbro1_500.gif (500x375, 557K)

Just build a shorter upper. Factory 14.5"-pinned-to-16" are pretty common these days too; wish I had gone that route.

Attached: IMG_4464.jpg (1600x1200, 1.09M)

>missing an hour of precious sleep every time my house makes a loud noise
Ain't nobody got time for that.

I hear you. I've got cats and at least once I've gotten up and cleared my apartment because they were playing and knocked something over. Now I just roll over and go back to sleep. I'm fucked if someone breaks in.

Doesn't mean that playing the waiting game isn't technically the best option if you're pretty sure someone has broken in.

Attached: 4883096+_437b7fc41880b7fc615d567f45f8a8b5.jpg (600x425, 57K)

>you probably shouldn’t be shooting a rifle in your house anyways. Use a pistol for home defense

Do you have any idea how many walls .45 ACP out of a 5" barrel will go through? Or how painful it is for your ears in a confined space, especially close to the muzzle?

Can you explain this advice with anything but fuddlore?

20" vs 16".....it ain't that much different.

usmc used m16 in Fallujah doing door to door. it can be done.

Attached: second-battle-of-fallujah.jpg (728x425, 73K)

The main advantage of a shorter barrel is for innavehicle use, not innahouse.

you can try center axis relock meme.

or you can try to use the m16 like a 18" barrel shotgun. clear corner with low ready.

Attached: 1459091_03_center_axis_relock_c_a_r_2_day_640.jpg (640x644, 67K)