Thermal vision

Are current militaries issuing thermal vision as a standard to infantry? And if not, why? Is it just a cost thing? Or a doctrine thing?

Attached: thermal.jpg (600x600, 38K)

It's mission specific. It's heavy, somewhat fragile, and God help you if you lose it because that's a controlled item.

Yes. The PSQ 20s are nods with thermal. However, they are heavy and bulky. Even worse- they run through batteries very quickly- and batteries super scarce in most units

On deployment yes. And on certain training excercises also yes.

Tell me some about these "controlled items" of which you speak. I need to know. What are some controlled items? How bad is it if you lose it? Is it some crazy force multiplier shit that would get you fucked?

PSQ-20s aren't standard issue though. Also yeah, something like 10 hours battery life for night vision only and two or three for I2 with IR.
It's kind of impressive really, when you consider that it runs on a fucking external battery pack.

It’s expensive; it’s not yours it’s Uncle Sam’s.

Holy shit this thread needs to be pruned

Oh, is that it?

In the USMC infantry, they aren't issued out to each man, but on a squad or platoon level. We each had our own personal PVS-14s, but the thermals were a bit more scarce. We had like 5 PAS-13's per platoon and a similar number of the smaller monocle thermals(forget the name). We mainly used them on our guard posts at night mounted on the Machineguns, and the squad leader/platoon commander would carry them out on patrols. The PAS-13s were sometimes mounted on our 240s during night patrols as well.

Granted this shit I'm talking about was 6-10 years ago, so things might have changed.

Whats more useful in the field thermal or a decent night vision & red dot setup?

EYECLOPS NIGHT VISION
SPYGEAR

>What are some controlled items
Weapons, crypto devices, crypto keys, and anything else that the military doesn't want in the hands of anyone who isn't them.

As to what happens if you lose it, if you're lucky it'll just be you and your unit looking for it u til you find it. If you're not lucky, UCMJ up to a full courts martial.

I think a set of NVG's for navigation and an IR laser would be more useful, but it's situation dependent.

So a full court martial for losing a 152, a list of freqs in a swamp along with a laptop?

Night vision for moving, thermals for spotting/fighting.

You and your entire brigade are likely going to be out there in said swamp looking for them, by which I mean single arm intervals trudging through that swamp until someone finds it, then you're getting a field grade.

They don't play around at all.

The hands-across-the-training-area is a rite of passage for every grunt, doubly so when the experimental mre is found inside an officer's backpack.
This guy knows what's up.

>Experimental MRE.
There's a story there, isn't there user? Do tell.

We had a new 2LT lose his entire FLC with NVGs included off the back of a truck. Never was found. FLIPL and no UCMJ.

>Tell me some about these "controlled items" of which you speak. I need to know.

LITERALLY ANYTHING LISTED UNDER 22 CFR 121.1

these include all ITAR items
>Category I - Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns
all components and accessories are considered firearms (barrels receivers and sights)
>Category II - Guns and Armament
>Category III - Ammunition/Ordnance
>Category IV - Launch Vehicles, Guided Missiles, Ballistic Missiles, Rockets, Torpedoes, Bombs, and Mines
>Category V - Explosives and Energetic Materials, Propellants, Incendiary Agents, and Their Constituents
>Category VI - Surface Vessels of War and Special Naval Equipment
>Category VII - Ground Vehicles
>Category VIII - Aircraft and Related Articles
>Category IX - Military Training Equipment and Training
>Category X - Personal Protective Equipment
(level 4+ body armor)
>Category XI - Military Electronics
>Category XIII - Materials and Miscellaneous
Articles this includes crypoto

Attached: giraffe boy.jpg (1904x963, 125K)

They are to expensive to use so they sit in a container waiting to disappear and sold on ebay.

Experimental mre is just a generic term for any sensitive item once it goes missing. Not actually experimental nor food.

that's because it was probably listed as a combat loss or something... the paper trail for lost missing and stolen equipment launches an investigation... if the situation could have been prevented, or the damage/pilferage was preventable or was intentional, then there will be charges... left the armory open and haji stole all the nods? court martial
entenionally left something unnatended or lying around and it "disappears"
court martial
forgot to tighten the retaining screw and nods fell off your face on patrol? probably not UCMJ punishment

god forbid the item you lost ends up in the hands of the enemy, unless you like forced anal sex

this unironically, the 50% off brand new items with filed off serials are clear indicators of stolen items... and CID and the department of state lurk those listings. selling without proper paperwork can land you in prison for illegal exporting too if the end user takes an ITAR item out of the country

They dont seem to watch Facebook you can buy brand new sets for like 600$

i would say that is probably because it is too hard to monitor, they have people physically browse listings so it is possible that they have better things to look for than a 600$ NOD and many investigators are swamped with people trying to sell actual classified military hardware (things with secret/TS technical data, not just controlled)

Not really, but you do have the AN/PAS-29A COTI having seen use in special forces units, like the 75th Ranger Regiment

Attached: COTI.jpg (960x640, 69K)

Here it is in use during a raid

Attached: COTI 2.jpg (1920x1268, 558K)

And here are the modes of the COTI.

Attached: COTI modes.jpg (830x310, 21K)

>PSQ-20s aren't standard issue though
Like 1/3 of my company's nods were 20s, every leadership position had them. Since so many people were always gone for one reason or another we usually had more 20s in the field than 14s. Plus every mg had 13s, so it is really just the rifles/grenadiers who didn't have thermal capabilities.

Whatever unit you were in sounds fucking awesome.

>What are some controlled items?
Anything with a serial number assigned to it.

>How bad is it if you lose it?

Best case scenario you lose rank, like, A LOT of rank. AND you have to pay for the item.

Worst case scenario you get prison time. And you lose rank and you still have to pay for the item.

>brigade
Armyfag, nobody cares about your subhuman iq nomenclature

That's a typical light infantry unit in the last 5 years.
Hell, even in my shitshow of a stryker AT company, 1/4 of the platoon had psq-20s.

>t. Bootyblasted marine who thinks the RCT is better than the BCT.

damn... I wish I could get one, but then again I think I'd prefer a dual tube or a FGS-36... not that I could buy one even if I could afford it.

>1/3 of my company's nods were 20s

same here. PVS14s for privates, 20B's for everyone else.

get back to your propaganda threads chinkfag

hm? A lot of things are expensive, are they not?

gpnvgs are better

Maybe for you to buy as an individual consumer, sure. Not so much for the military, or so Im lead to believe.

Few years back, over heard a SGM talking to the commander. Small chat really, somehow got onto the topic of what the ARMY pays for equipment. Obviously, I dont know if he was blowing smoke on any of this, since Im not really able to prove/disprove what he said.

By him, the ARMY only pays about $60 per M16. If that is the case, I can only imagine that the military gets pays bottom dollar to the lowest bidder with every piece of equipment.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Nah govt pays for something like that about $600 if i remember right. I once found a very old entry for a 1911 and it was about $40

Had an e6 who lost a set
Paid full book value for them spaced over 3 years
Found out at the end he should have paid less being they were used

Active duty bases will not allow anyone on or off if one is missing

>the ARMY only pays about $60 per M16

That's complete bullshit.

Had a 1lt lose a set of 14s in iraq.
>built a set of new ones
>coined by company leadership for being their security detail

I have a buddy who's in a Psy Ops unit and they trained with them recently.

What are PSQ20's? $20,000 right?

night vision in general bad for your health?