PVS-7 questions

Hi y'all

Just picked up a Gen III MX10130P image intensifier tube for $390.

It powers up and shows no spots whatsoever in the image so I'd like to put a PVS-7 together.

Where should I look for parts? My budget for everything except the intensifier is $300-$450.

Also what version of the PVS-7 do I need? B? C? D?

Thanks

Attached: image.jpg (1860x2300, 652K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6ahTjaMKdm8
nivisys.com/en/uploads/PVS-7_Manual_ENG.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why not build a 14?

Got the tube for cheap and I don't believe it will fit in a 14

eBay or GunBroker are probably the best places to find parts

I don't know the difference between the B and D, but those'll work. I don't know if it'd work in a C and I can't imagine where you'd find a PVS-7C or even a housing, though I will say that the PVS-7C DOES have a dovetail shoe, which is cool because bayonet sucks.

You can find PVS-7 or PVS-14 parts kits on ebay for about $800 and build from there, but if you build it into a PVS-14 the manual gain won't work.

Will the tube even fit in a 14?

This has the connectors for the 7.

I would love to build a 14 but I didn't think the tube would work.

MAYBE. I know an MX10130 will fit a PVS-14, but it doesn't have the pigtail for variable gain. So... yeah. It'd work, but you'll have fixed gain.

reminder that disclosing any controlled technical information can get you in trouble with the FBI and state department... that being said, if you can google it, you should probably do that OP

Yikes ok.

Didn't know that as this is my first Gen 3 device.

Thanks for that.

Don't listen to him, you aren't going to get in trouble for talking about NV. Even the State Department wouldn't try to consider posting on here as exporting information.

From what I've been reading, the MX10130 is exclusively for the PVS-7 and a handful of Gen 3 clip on NV scopes.

It should atleast be an improvement over my current PVS-5As

>don't listen to him, you aren't going to get in trouble for talking about NV. Even the State Department wouldn't try to consider posting on here as exporting information.

technically, unless he can find it as public information, nobody is allowed to provide him with

>Information, other than software as defined in 22 CFR 120.10(4), which is required for the design, development, production, manufacture, assembly, operation, repair, testing, maintenance or modification of defense articles. This includes information in the form of blueprints, drawings, photographs, plans, instructions or documentation.

definitely. Gen3>gen2 any day. I'd look up some PVS-14 build videos.

I've seen some, looks simple as hell but I can't afford a PVS-14 build.

The tube I got only works on 7s and there are like zero build videos for those.

youtu.be/6ahTjaMKdm8

what is a good price for a gen3 image intensifier? the PVS7 ones look like $800 is the cheapest I can find, but I feel like they can be had for less considering the entire assembly can be bought for 1000

I got mine for $390 with Tax

SAUSE?

> why tf are you exposing the iit to any amount of light? Waste of money right there.

Might as well point a surefire at it

confirmed retard.

Only damages it when it's on, it isn't on....

No, you can damage the tube simply by exposing it to high intensity light, regardless of weather it's on or not, that's why we don't wear them during the day without lenscaps on.

An indoor room light won't do much to it, but try to avoid exposing the tube to light in the future, okay?

You don't know what you're talking about. Go find that in a manual and link to it. I bet you can't source that from anywhere reputable.

>Doesn't know who he's talking to

nivisys.com/en/uploads/PVS-7_Manual_ENG.pdf

Page 27. In bold.

what an idiot.

Attached: 1525972118151.jpg (500x496, 80K)

Dumb fuck, you leave it in sunlight to charge it up for later.

I get that we like to fuck with new people, but there are people with NV that are dumb enough to use a set of PVS 15s to view an eclipse, I'd like to keep the needless destruction of cool and expensive things to a minimum if possible.

-t. L3 shill
Generation 4 is just generation 1 with the film cut off and left in sunlight for a month.

Still didn’t find what I was asking for.

Of course you keep the cap on the lense when handling during daylight hours or in bright conditions. That protects them if unintentionally turned on in those conditions.

Your claim was that merely exposing the intensifier to daylight, not while powered, caused damage.

That’s what I want you to link to.

>Nivisys, LLC Rev. 25 Jan 2013
CAUTION
TO PROTECT THE IMAGE INTENSIFIER, kEEP
THE LENS CAP ON THE OBjECTIVE LENS
WHEN THE GOGGLE IS NOT IN USE OR WHEN
CHECKED OUT IN DAYLIGHT CONDITIONS

It's not the lens that gets damaged, it's focused light passing through the lens into the intensifier, that is what the cap is for. If you just want to protect the lens you use a sacrificial window. The intensifier tube, lens or no lens, is sensitive to exposure to sunlight, regardless of whether it's powered or not, just as it is while it's in the housing.

>regardless of whether it's powered or not
Oh pfugg, didn't know that.
Thanks for preventing a possibly expensive mistake!

You're welcome, have fun!

You can keep linking that all you want. That manual is written with the assumption that the intensifier is installed and that there is a risk to them being powered under conditions that would absolutely damage the intensifier.

Again, the claim was that exposing the intensifiers to daylight, unpowered, would damage them. I want a link to TM that actually states this. Again, I bet you can’t find one.

I would suggest looking for a TM that covers servicing. Not the standard TM that gets issued with the NVGs. Again, I am doubtful.

Nods are always fun.

Attached: opurrator.jpg (5152x3864, 3.73M)

Don't know how light would damage the tube while not even being in a unit. The whole intensification process relies on being powered on.

Anyhow since i dont have the PVS-7 parts yet i keep it wrapped in soft microfiber cloth in a PVS-31 foam hardcase so its pretty damn dark so i should be fine.

Servicing the tube itself is not done at the operator or even unit level, that's support of manufacturer level. It's also generally assumed that you're not storing expensive electronics in anything but a locker.

>NVG-7
Do they make any solid helmet mounts for that? or is it strictly skullcrusher?

what's the COOLEST NVG, koko?

Clearly you’ve never been in the deployed. NVGs are stored anywhere but in a locker.

Jow Forumsoko speaks the truth
t. night vision maintainer

Coolest I've ever used is the PVS 21 LPNVG, although the most advanced one on the market nowadays is the PVS31. Then you can get into some heavier stuff like the GPNVG 18s and PSQ20B/D, but those are more situational than anything else, not to mention incredibly expensive.

I dunno man. We all have different ideas on what's cool.

I like some of the newer ANVIS systems on the market, they are not meant for door kicking, but provide really nice compact high resolution night vision for flying. For a while there was even talk of glass cockpits that used IR/thermal cameras mounted all around the aircraft to produce a seamless view through the aircraft

clearly straight up scifi magic

Attached: fancy nods.jpg (989x541, 97K)