Whats the deal with DSA recievers for FALs being absolute ass?

Whats the deal with DSA recievers for FALs being absolute ass?

I heard about it a while ago, some anons mentioned something about some guy who builds FALs on some forum saying they were shit but DSA heard him out and were fixing the issues, but now people are saying theyre shit again.

all of this without explaining why they were shit.

any validity to this?

Also side note, how bad is an FAL for DMR role?

Attached: fal2.jpg (1024x635, 480K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sargesmilitarysurplus.com/product/imbel-fn-fal/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's hard to get real information about it because there are some passionate shitposters out there.

I can tell you if you buy a DSA rifle and it has problems they will fix it. Chances are you'll be fine though. For a few years DSA was putting out receivers that were out of spec and caused the mag wells to be jacked up in some form or another.

The only trouble I have with mine is that the springs in my DSA mags are too strong, and they don't let ammo feed smoothly.

I have a sa58 voyager which is supposedly the low quality one it was made in 2016 and I've shot thousands of rounds through it with zero issues

Attached: 20180520_162057.jpg (4032x3024, 3.7M)

DSA receivers are all cast now. If you want an FAL, buy a parts kit or a complete rifle built from a parts kit with an older receiver. If DSA FALs were cheaper, I'd say the cast receiver wasn't a big deal. At over $1,500 for all of their rifles, cast receivers are unacceptable in my opinion.

Do you shoot steel though it?

>any validity to this?
not really, it's just one guy being upset that DSA is selling FALs cheaper than he is
it's the same asshole that buys up all surplus parts and sells them back to you

Whats the best parts kit to buy? I was looking into getting one, but was turned off because I heard some countries I think Israel wouldn't fit other countries. And they weren't interchangeable

No always either surplus 7.62x51 or brass cased .308 win

i know which asshat you're talking about.
i was in the market for a fal late last year, and after hours of perusing falfiles and gathering info on which ones were good, i decided against buying one.
that pissy shithead made it seem like all fals are shit unless you pay out the ass for a legit fn kit or some other obscure variant with some other rare as fuck receiver and had him build it for you.

in fact, that whole community put me off wanting a fal.

There are Metric and Imperial FALs that do not have interchangeable parts. Do your research before buying.

I've got one of the rifles built from Steyr parts and it's great. I don't know when they switched to all in-house parts. I thought they had also gotten some of the Steyr manufacturing equipment and technical documents, but maybe not, it's hard to imagine any company shitting the bed with that kind of stuff on hand.

There's a similar strain of chodes in the roller lock community. If you don't have an HK pre-ban that costs 3x what the rifle is worth then you wasted your money, if you didn't buy a parts kit that came into the country in the mid-90's and have it built by Bubba T. Gunsmith in his super exclusive shop in Stumblefuck, MO after a 19 month wait period for $3500 then you wasted your money. On and on and on. I'm not saying PTR is the best or that their product is flawless, but I have been shooting mine for a couple of years now and I love it.

Its just people whining about cast, even though FN or some government buying from FN did some test and milled receivers lasted something like 80k rounds while cast receivers only lasted some 60k rounds before showing signs of wear making them unsafe for use, this was under constant full auto fire with 60s/70s casting tech though. Basically shit that no range queen FAL nowadays is gona see.

notice that no one ever makes the same complaint of stamped receiver AKs which you can pretty well expect to explode at the trunnion after 25k-30k rounds fired.

I have one of the latest batch of voyager cast receivers, only problems I have had with it are FTF/FTE with tula. brass cased works fine tho, about 700 rounds so far

That was White testing labs, and those numbers were where the whole system was expected to fail.

the ones you need to actually look out for are the century arms inch pattern ones that were made a few years back

I thought about putting my own FAL together out of a parts kit but everybody said than coonan and DSA receivers were trash and that I'd need to pay out the ass for a good one. Then the cost of all of the tools and gauges I need is end up being more than buying a DSA and paying a gunsmith to fix any problems that may arise. Still want one though.

If the metalergy and the heat treating is right (which DSA did correctly) then they are just as good. The biggest person to shit talk them was gunplumber because it undermined his whole business and since he's an FAL guru everyone started spreading the rumor that the cast FAL receivers were ass. I've fired atleast 4 thousand rounds through mine and I can't tell any difference between it and my Imbel receiver so far.

There was a batch that had some issues with magazines fitting, but it has been quickly rectified by DSA. The guy who made the video, Gun Plumber, is kind of a jackass who wants to shill his own buisness of putting together FALs from parts kits. He's the kind of dumbass that got mad at Atlantic Firearms for "stealing" his money because he left a donate to the NRA box checked and got charged an extra 98 cents.

I think what most people fail to realize is that gunplumber doesn't make FAL parts, he just puts them together. His complaints are never about the cast/forged but instead about the machining specs. The most widely available receivers are DSA's and that's most likely the majority of what he builds on. He currently charges a flat rate for a build and if the receiver is out of spec, then he has to take extra time remachining and trouble shooting for no additional money. He would be one of the biggest benefactors of DSA getting stuff right since it means a lot less work and the ability to do more builds for him. If people want a kit build, they aren't going to buy a new full DSA FAL anyway but they might buy a receiver.

This. He is an asshole but he is a right asshole.

>It's hard to get real information about it because there are some passionate shitposters out there
sure kid

sure kid

May be a little irrelevant but I'm planning on doing an FAL build starting with this kit

sargesmilitarysurplus.com/product/imbel-fn-fal/

Is this FAL metric or imperial?

Better question: How can I figure out if it's metric or inch?

I bought the dsa not voyager model fal and it's performed great tip though but the Moses mags instead of the steel mags. Put a 3.5x acog on it as well and it performs beautifully.

>We'll never get ahold of all the surplus L1A1's & C1A1's the bongs & Canucks have stashed away

Feels bad man.

It's metric. Brit/Aussie/Canada/Indian etc FALs are the inch patterns. The British commonwealth states basically.

Should I buy a springfield SAR receiver right now and buy a build kit later, or should I just get a new DSA?
Is there that big of a difference in price or quality between the two?

How did NATO fuck up building metric and imperial FAL's? Even the commies didn't do that sort of thing with AK rifles.

Different countries specced their FALs to their standard of measurement. It wasn't viewed as a fuckup because it didn't matter. You weren't mixing parts between FALs and SLRs, so the variation in spec didn't have any effect on anything.