Scalable Hand Grenade for Special Forces

From soldiersystems.net/2018/05/24/sofic-18-scalable-offensive-hand-grenade-by-nammo/

In our USSOCOM Small Arms Modernization Update post a few weeks ago you may have noticed a slide depicting the Scalable Offensive Hand Grenade.
This concussion grenade is made by Nammo and consists of up to three modules and traditional spoon-style initiator which can combined to offer the desired effect.

Effects, it has aplenty. To visualize what this hand grenade offers, think about a small wooden shed that you’d buy at Home Depot. If you use just one module, you’ll blow the door open and the windows out. Select two modules and you’ll knock the shed off its foundation. But screw on all three sections and the real magic happens; you’ll transform the shed into splinters.

Attached: 3x the fun.jpg (828x956, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGN_hand_grenade
instalaza.com/producto/granada-alhambra/?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what happens if I select 12 modules?

Attached: 1514581568723.jpg (477x724, 189K)

So a more complicated version of pic related?

Can you at least add fuse to the individual sections safely?

Attached: agg7144z-5[1].jpg (1111x683, 139K)

You could mash a lot of potatoes with that.

Attached: 1516893115240.jpg (438x306, 23K)

>jigaboo asks for my wallet
>stack 12
>grab trad recurve bow
>pull string back rack up the stack and launch
>he explodes
>I explode
>everyone explodes

How is it more complicated. It doesn't even need an external handle or bindings

Ban assualt mashers now! Think of the spudlings!

Could we use these to bring back the rifle grenade? The italians invented some you could use a normal bullet with instead of a blank. We have the technology.

Attached: M1_Garand_rifgrenade_line.jpg (432x347, 109K)

they make these right down the road from me, right next to the monkey farm

seems like whoever was in charge of zoning and permits really let the ball drop on that one

This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen in the world of hand thrown explosives.

Can you take the fuse out and replace it with other kinds of fuse? Like an impact-fuse, or a remote detonation fuse, or a manual fuse attached to a tripwire? I think that could be very potentially useful.

There's no such thing as remote detonation fuzes for grenades and they stopped using impact fuzes during WWII because that's absolutely suicidal

Just throw more grenades faggot. Too much more complexity for some GI to worry about.

>Like an impact-fuse

You see

The problem with this is

people don't like randomly exploding.

>or a remote detonation fuse,

second verse, same as the first.

But I thought the Russians still use them.

Still use what?

Impact fuses on hand grenades.

On what grenades?

>being
>
>this
>
>gay

He meant

to have the ability

to screw those other fuses in

when you're ready to use it,

not to carry it around

with an impact fuse in it

like a retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGN_hand_grenade

>The grenade shell consists of two internally serrated aluminium hemispheres. The UDZS fuze has both impact and time delay functions, the impact fuze arms after a pyrotechnic delay of 1 to 1.8 seconds.

The Frogs still use rifle grenades

Attached: downloadfile-38.jpg (500x750, 86K)

I wonder if the 416 will be adapted for them

>to screw those other fuses in when you're ready to use it, not to carry it around with an impact fuse in it

You do realize that a grenade fuze by itself is enough to blow off your fingers right? Impact fuzes are inherently unstable and unpredictable and simply having them in proximity to each other is tantamount to suicide.

And remote fuzes can be randomly set off by errant radio waves which is why the virtually don't exist on the battelfield.

Also.

>"Oh no! The enemy is shooting at me. let me stop what im doing so I can screw some fuzes into my grenades.

Yes it's literally that retarded.

Attached: potato masher.png (1116x916, 1.07M)

the AT grenade that looks like a stick grenade has one I think

>The italians invented some you could use a normal bullet with instead of a blank

a terrible invention that only italy could make.

>Impact fuzes are inherently unstable and unpredictable
Yet somehow soldiers carry impact-fused 40mm grenades around without randomly exploding. Those fuses are armed by rotation after launch, of course, while an impact fuse for hand grenades would be armed by pulling a pin, but there's no reason one should be more dangerous than the other when not armed.
>The enemy is shooting at me
While I don't know what that user wants impact fuses for, clearly the point of the remote or trip-wire fuses is to set up ambushes before you're under fire, not to react to incoming fire.
I'm not convinced this is a useful capability either, when we have ordnance like claymores designed to be used for ambushes, but the argument that it's a dumb thing to do under fire is just silly.

wrong, the french and isrealis followed. the us did as well, albeit in labs.

shoot-thru and bullet-trap are the standard for rifle grenades for teh last 50 years. blanks are retarded.

There's extremely specific conditions that arm a launched grenade that can't be reliably replicated with a hand-thrown one

>the point of the remote or trip-wire fuses is to set up ambushes before you're under fire,

Two things that are literally forbidden in SOP.

In the case of trip wire fuses in the fog of war you can very easily forget critical details such as where you placed your trip wire and end up back tracking directly into it turning you and your squad into mulch.

In the case of remote fuses. Though Wirelesse remote fuses do exist they are never issued because errant radio waves can either block detonation signals are trigger a false detonation signal and best case scenario there goes your POA worst case scenario there goes your face, and brains, and everything connected to it.

>claymores designed to be used for ambushes

Claymores are not used in ambushes in the way you think they are. They are usually deployed in far more immideate, deliberate, and hasty action and they are never detonated wirelessly. They are always detonated using wired electronic blasting caps hard wired to a clicker.

>claymores designed to be used for ambushes

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your only experience with claymores is from Call Of Duty

Attached: tenor.gif (220x220, 93K)

>Yet somehow soldiers carry impact-fused 40mm grenades around without randomly exploding.

Because launched grenades and hand grenades are exactly the same right?

40 mm grenades have safeties that prevent premature detonation before a certain distance you dingus. The same can not possibly be replicated on a standard hand thrown grenade.

Example:

40mm grenade. point at wall 5 feet in front of face, aim, shoot. No boom because wall to close

Hand thrown grenade with impact fuze. Pull pin, fumble grenade, drops at feet. Oh no! I dropped muh spud, BOOM! entire squad dead because butter fingers.

Scenario 2 hand thrown grenade with impact fuze, pull pin throw at enemy. oops grenade landed softer than necessary impact fuze no trigger. Enemy pick up grenade throws back. Boom! squad dead.

you're definitely a retard if you think that stack is meant to be thrown.

>you're definitely a retard if you think that stack is meant to be thrown.

>Looks at Spoon safety

And you call me the retard.

nothing suicidal about an impact fuze unless you hold it until it explodes. They have pins on them you know. I suspect you didn't.

>nothing suicidal about an impact fuze

see

Why would you mash potatoes with a bunch of soup cans on a stick?

This is why you are supposed to be carrying satchell charges

Holy fucking Reddit spacing Batman.

I remember seeing these

Attached: Geheimnis Hintern Granate.png (600x411, 480K)

>Holy fucking Reddit spacing Batman.

Attached: 196.gif (640x472, 354K)

Get those fuckers out

Attached: 1527008347044s.jpg (125x122, 3K)

Attached: ea7123c6c87f3cc9076109f297d6c5a5.400x300x9.gif (400x300, 371K)

Could just as well just throw more grenades.
It seems nifty on the surface, but I don't really see what it does that you couldn't REALLY do with just some old Mk.2 or M67 Bombe Surprise.

I suppose maybe you could use a stack of these for an especially mean boobytrap, like you wanted to make sure an entire room of dudes had to die, but you could do that with a Claymore mine.

Attached: mk2 grenade (2).jpg (953x730, 105K)

>actual arguments for why it's not useful
Much improved from "hurr they're shooting at me", was that so hard?
>Claymores are not used in ambushes the way you think they are
I didn't say anything about their current use; I said they're designed for it.
When claymores were originally introduced, half a century ago when landmines and booby traps were less frowned on, they were used with trip-wires for ambushes, among other ways. That they are no longer used that way doesn't change the fact that they were designed for that use, and would still be a better choice for such use than a hand grenade with a trip-wire fuze.

Sorry, I have no experience with claymores, neither in vidya nor IRL; what knowledge I have is from reading. But if you can tell me I'm wrong about what they were designed for, I'd be happy to hear about it.

except they are used for ambushes and were extensively used on trails in Vietnam. We even used them mounted on tanks in Desert Storm in case we had to frag any crunchies who decided to climb on board.

Why don't we do this?

>clearing a building with my squad in third world hellhole
>suddenly we come under fire
>some jihadists are shooting at us from the next building, right across the street
>can't reach them because 5.56 doesn't go through walls
>the whole squad screw their stackable grenades together to create a massive grenade pole
>dangle it accross the street and through the window
>vaporise the whole block

You kow someone is going to try it.

Attached: 1433055547122.gif (659x609, 2.49M)

stand alone grenade launchers work better.

there's literally no way to rig a claymore to go off from a tripwire effectively. The detonator is too stiff, and is designed to only be squeezed.

>So a more complicated version of pic related?

You nailed it.

I suddenly like this idea so much more.

So first it's crayons for the marines, now the Army gets markers? And they say the military is for men lmao

Attached: VJkKlsV.jpg (700x357, 18K)

We tried impact fuses before, they caused more injuries/deaths on our side then were inflicted on the enemy

Spoon safety has absolutely nothing to do with throwing anything; it's just a safety like any other ya dipshit.
>what is a grenade boobytrap?and how does it work?

We switched from rifle grenades to standalone and underbarrel 40mm launchers because rifle grenades sucked, while the French, Italians, etc. stuck with rifle grenades and made them suck less.
Rifle grenades sucked because of all the bullshit involved (separate magazine full of blanks, remove standard mag, clear chamber, insert blank mag, chamber blank, then finally fire the grenade -- then do it again to go back to shooting bullets) and partly because it's really hard on rifles. The British, for instance, would have one SMLE with the stock reinforced with wire wrap, as a designated grenade launcher, and other rifles would never be used to launch grenades except in an emergency -- unreinforced stocks would soon break with repeated grenade launching. So while the ideal of the rifle-grenade was that every soldier could switch between bullets and grenades as needed, in practice it wasn't necessarily better than issuing one man an M79.
Shoot-through grenades also have issues of where do the bullets come down, particularly with regards to training ranges surrounded by residential areas (less of a concern in a war zone).

But with modern rifle grenades, and with a rifle designed or reinforced to handle launching them (and you can certainly beef up a rifle a lot for the weight of an underbarrel launcher)? It really isn't that big a difference either way; stand-alone launchers still seem slightly better, but the difference isn't really big enough to justify switching in either direction.

>reddit spacing
please neck yourself you newfag cancerlord

>literally no way
pic related, from FM 23-23 Chapter 2, Section III

Attached: FM 23-23 tripwire.png (715x1310, 180K)

>what is a grenade boobytrap?

illegal as fuck!

>Spoon safety has absolutely nothing to do with throwing anything;

Attached: unkek.png (480x360, 126K)

Everybody dies in a massive explosion that wipes out the planet

Attached: 1520686126675.jpg (750x677, 113K)

100 teraton explosion

Did you seriously just calculate how much explosive force would be needed to vaporize earth?
Also a little off-topic,do you have that art of a nazi super soldier that has a skull for a face,holding a MG-42 with one hand and has SS helments as shoulder pads?
I used to have that picture,but i think i lost it...

>Spoon safety has absolutely nothing to do with throwing anything;

And yet they are exclusively used as the only triggering device used on modern hand thrown explosives

>Did you seriously just calculate how much explosive

No! I was speaking hyperbolically. However to give a little bit of perspective a one teraton explosion detonated at 400,000 feet will create a fireball 130 miles in diameter.

How much bigger is that in comparison to the Tsar Bomba?

2,600% or 125 miles in diameter larger

Now that's cool and all, but can we talk about this? It's a hand grenade being designed by ARDEC that can go from Offensive to Defensive with the flip of a switch. It is also supposedly electronically detonated and it has a timed detonator that can be set down to the millisecond.

Attached: etmpgrenade.jpg (655x760, 27K)

Yeah but why though?

Literally to complicated and to expensive for a thing you just need to go boom in a 5 meter circle

Do those extra utility features justify it's presumably higher cost?

> only triggering device
no they release a hammer which strikes a primer which then lights TIMED FUZE which then sets off a primary explosive(a booster charge, in this case a blasting cap), which then sets off the main secondary charge.
NONE of which have anything to do with 'throwing' anything.

see

Cause we have the 40mm grenade launcher

>NONE of which have anything to do with 'throwing' anything.

They do when they are all attached to a fucking spoon safety

also

see

It's a ripoff of a Spanish grenade that does all the same shit, but was invented 10 or 15 years ago.

instalaza.com/producto/granada-alhambra/?lang=en

An M16 birdcage is all the adaption you need.

Accelerometers can handle the task just fine, minimum three seconds airtime or no boom.
Once I did a BoM for a military friend of mine who was curious about the issue. Came in at around $1.25 for a a MEMS accelorometer + gyro, MCU, transistor, long-life battery, switch, led, and ematch.
Size came in at half the length of a fuse he ripped from a grenade.
Also, he found it funny that one way I came up with to arm it was spin it around in your hand for a few seconds like pitching a baseball.
We both decided a covered button was probably safer

Is Jackie a punk?

A short bus’ worth, even.

Attached: B6885E01-6DA0-4DCE-8B9A-1F899DA0BEA2.jpg (689x1029, 114K)

>mfw they bring back the atlatl for the express purpose of chucking huge building-leveling stacks of grenades.

Attached: svenhoek.jpg (275x198, 8K)

>long-life battery

I don't think you realize just how absurdly long ordinance will sit on a shelf before it's used.

Any battery operated trigger is essentially impractical.

BUILD IT

Attached: 740536048_preview_ed..png (331x237, 180K)

Could work with a zinc-air battery, they basically have infinite shelf life until you let the air in. Have the arming switch/button break a membrane seal to start the battery working.

That said, I'm not convinced electronic accelerometer-triggered grenades really offer any value. You can already use a purely pyrotechnic/mechanical delay+impact fuse like mentions.

>This faggot doesn't know about using a Claymore to initiate an ambush
>Has never trained on infantry tactics
>Has never had a RI Platoon Sgt train his platoon on these tactics

Mein augen

Attached: 1509374413986.jpg (645x729, 49K)

RG's have the novality but not the HE. You have to prep the grenade but then take it off for conventional fire.

The rifle grenade helps propel the frog backwards as he retreats.

>inb4 someone gets a medal of honor for stacking three of these together and beating a haji to death with it.

Inb4 improvised Bangalore

Attached: Bangalore-Box-2.jpg (4272x2848, 717K)

If we are able to get our hands on them, some Jow Forumsommando will shoot it out of crossbow 10stacked like an arrow

I found something that claimed a 10 year shelf life, forget what chemicals it was but it was cheap as fuck, small, and did the job.
The spec only said it needed a 5 year shelf life, friend said it was for some supa segret program, getting a bunch of tech ready to produce in the event of WW3, so, should the war kick off, they'd be produced and sent directly to the field.
Australian military's weird like that.
It was apparently because someone wanted absolute safety, I don't see the benefit either but that's what he wanted, and that's how I did it.

>A rifle grenade that works on the 40mm grenade launcher that also uses that italian technology to work with a 40mm grenade in the barrel so you have 2 grenades launched at the same time
fund it

why only 40mm? why not firing a 120mm rifle grenade from the grenade launcher AND a 40mm rifle grenade from the barrel?

Is Jow Forums the slowest fucking board on Jow Forums? These things have been around for a while

Attached: Untitled.png (423x333, 55K)

newfag supreme

I wonder why militaries don't focus more exclusively on explosives for infantry?

Just the shit range or the high pricetag? Too heavy?

Women.

so... UXO?

>muh SOF

I have used scaleable grenades like those during fucking basic years ago. Its nothing new.

Why not using a grenade launcher to launch a bigger grenade from its barrel?