If I hold my gun angled, the sights are still aligned with the barrel. Will it affect POI?

If I hold my gun angled, the sights are still aligned with the barrel. Will it affect POI?

Attached: Untitled.png (810x518, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No because people mount 45 degree optics on their guns all the time.

At your zero distance, no. Closer or farther, yes.

The gun is only zeroed at 1 or 2 distances. That's true no matter what.

What is your point?

Not at zero. It’s drastically changes the ballistic coefficient obviously. Also, nofuns plz go.

Sir, what is your point?
You have not stated an affect sir!
If you wish to make a valid assertion then it required that the argument include mathematical backing and preferably include a nice graph sir!

Attached: saker_falcon_linda_wright.jpg (1000x1000, 198K)

>changes the ballistic coefficient
You are noguns.

Attached: Untitled.png (646x244, 60K)

It certainly will. Gravity will pull the bullet towards the “side” of the sights rather than the “bottom”, so your poi will be off.

Attached: 6B5A6C90-F37B-4F5F-970E-C907AE51C8BA.jpg (469x397, 53K)

just try it in some in door 25 yard range
you will see the difference.

This. Unless the line between the sight posts is parallel to the barrel, you will actually be aiming off to the side.

In order for offset or rotated optics to work, you need the ranging adjustment to be on the same axis that gravity as acting on, aka straight up or down. If it's not, you'll be adjusting your bore line diagonally, not vertically, and thus at anything other than point blank the poi will be off. See

don't think too much about it, you ain't gonna shoot like that in long distance. Go to your local range and try it out. Generally if your barrel goes to the right side of the sight, you just aim a little bit to the right.
works the same when you tile 45 degree.

It will affect POI even at your zero.

Yes. Protip: The bullet will drop at an angle, so remember to compensate for that.

I don't know OP, you tell me

Attached: offset.png (1127x2615, 304K)

I suppose that would depend on just how much you cant your rifle.

yes

Attached: sighting for babby dumb dumbs.png (800x800, 39K)

at 45 degrees it would be significant

There will be a difference at zero distance. If you simplify the affecting factors and only take into account gravity, yes there will be no horizontal PoI shift at zero distance, but there will definitely be vertical PoI shift at zero distance because gravity will be affecting the bullet in a different way (pushing the bullet more to the side of your sight picture) than anticipated when zeroing the gun. Of course, at a short range it won't matter much.

Attached: explaining 45 degree sights.png (1228x872, 22K)

Assuming that your gun is sighted while it's upright, you'll notice that you're hitting low and to the right the further out you go. It shouldn't be a big enough deal because people cant their guns to oper8 in CQB aren't firing from a distance far enough to not hit center mass reliably.

Canted sights is not something you see outside of mall ninja builds.

>Canted sights is not something you see outside of mall ninja builds.

Or my Ruger American Rimfire. I had them replace it and the replacement has canted sights too. Still kinda pissed about it, but I've bought enough magazines for it I'm too invested to just drop it and buy something else.

>All these posters saying there will be no difference as long as you're at zero.
Yet again I reaffirm Jow Forums is full of brainlets.

i guess it depends on if you rotate the gun or not when using the canted sights

Yes. The bullet will with the sight at the top the bullet trajectory intercepts the sights at a particular distance (or two distances, depending upon zero and drop). Bu tilting the gun you're effectively reducing the 'height above bore' for the sights (and introducing a lateral offset). The effect can be calculated with ballistic calculators such as at (shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php).

The results of a 0*, 45* and 90* offset are shown below on a 25-meter zero for an 16" .223 firing 55gr projectiles with a BC of 0.202 and a velocity of 3215 FPS. Height above bore is 2.6" at 0*, 1.3" at 45*, and 0" at 90*.

Attached: TheresAReasonTheyPutTheSightsOnTop.jpg (735x368, 41K)

Op here, this the best post.
I like this thank you.
It also tells me that the affect is minimized the smaller the sight over bore height is. That just adds to my disdain of guns like the p90.

What if you rotate it so the barrel is directly under the canted sights?

Not if you retain sight picture.

the post should allign the bore with the earth so gravity pulls the round down in line with the elevation.

you can set the sights for a single distance and be good, but once that distance moves, the bullet drop will correspond to the amount of off angle instead of the amount of elevation (as it should be) and unless you can into complex maths with extreme autism, you will not be able to adjust the sights

That's what I said fag and yes I could.

only faggots hate glorious P90, sight is fine

Attached: 1506548654528.jpg (255x237, 18K)

couldnt you adjust for this with horizontal adjustment though?

hypothetically you could adjust windage proportionally to the cant for the range (moving sights in a triangle) but then instead of moving a single axis for range (for range) you would need to adjust the X and Y axis. this introduces another uneccessary varyiable in firing at range.

the only thing an angled sight is good for is shooting at 25yds or less , where you are shooting at a large target, or if you intend to hold gun sideways (most berrels can be fired sideways and still hit so long as the line between the gravitational induced bullet arc, the ground and the sight are all in a straight line)

Angled sight can still be over bore if gun is angle.

>or if you intend to hold gun sideways
WHAT I SAID NIGGER

Yeah maybe but it was tl:dr. The most eloquent articulation would have had greater brevity and succinctness sir!

I'm really not seeing a lot of peoples complains, if you hold it sideways with enough high adjustment (kentucky windage) it shouldn't be effected by gravity anymore than normal if there isn't any damage to the barrel crown. Long range shooting is considered difficult enough with the gun rightside up and supported it's not likely you're going to be doing that. If you laid down with your left side on the ground and fired the gun with your right arm, the thing shouldn't act any different than if you're laying on your stomach. Just sight the things in and they should be fine. Over distance bullet spin tends to make a bullet shift in the direction it's spinning, that might be the only thing I think might change.

pretty sure the entire thread is about using pic related while holding the gun either upright or at an angle

Attached: JP15T2s_556.jpg (556x399, 48K)

I know. It's the same principle though. I just can't see any reason why the rules of physics would change for these things by canting it other than shooter skill needing to compensate for it. Some of the things people are saying is obvious trolling like gravity is going to effect the bullet more. That's like saying if you hold a gym weight at a 45degree angle it's going to be heavier. Doesn't make any sense.

A right hand spin counteracts a left lean.

>That's like saying if you hold a gym weight at a 45degree angle it's going to be heavier. Doesn't make any sense.

thats physics btw, people are trying to tell him if he shoots the gun vertically while aiming at an angle he will miss the target, but if he angles the gun so the sights are vertical, he will hit the target, what is too hard to understand? or are you underage?

Other than ergonomics, if he's got the correct sight picture with it and it's sighted in correctly. There is no reason why this shouldn't work.
Offset sights like this were badass in that Syndicate game since the scope was a pain in the ass. I'm a bit biased liking the concept but there's no mechanical explanation why it should miss. If you're talking like a 300yard shot it's probably from other factors and not what angle you're holding it at.

This graph is literally for retards.

The charts are fixed and used to measure on a 180 degree position idiot.

What? Sightline and boreline are not parallel unless you're zeroed for point blank. So if there is any drop compensation, your poi will be shifted to the side when using canted sights. Bullet drop is always towards the ground while sights are usually fixed on the gun and can be twisted any which way.

just tilt the rifle at the same angle as the sights when zeroing it. optics are sighted on vertical, irons at 45

It doesn't change the drag on the bullet you simpleton.

>Canted sights is not something you see outside of mall ninja builds.

They still work dumbass. What matters is the height above bore, which is still at 0 with canted sights.

It seems like you're thinking they're sighting in canted sights like they would when it's held normally. If they're non-adjustable that makes sense. If you sight in your sights, that's has no reasonable reason to make a difference. If you put your sights on the bore line, and you turn the sights to where you're turning the bore line, there isn't a reason why it shouldn't act like normal sights that need to be sighted in for this stuff. What point are you really trying to get across? Bullet drop, how is that going to get effected? I'm really curious where you're going with this. The only thing I can think of is the twist rate in the grooving and even then I just can't think of why it'd be that much different if you sight it in for a specific range correctly. If you sight it in, it's not perfect. There are going to be variations. Are you a problem solver meme spammer that thinks only idiots turn their gun sideways or something?

The one second mark on a watch seems tiny but it's 6 degrees. Should not be a issue when you're the guy who uses his AR15 on the 15 yard pistol range target with a muzzle break.

Why not, put the barrel in your mouth, use your toe to check the action. ?

What if the bullet is square instead of round?

Just zero both sighting systems separately and you'll be fine

Yes. The angled sights will cause the gun to shoot low and to the side, this will be worse at increasing distances. Long distance shooters use bubble levels on their scope mounts to eliminate this problem. Some scopes have level indicators built into the reticle.
Retard

If you sight in your gun for a zero at a distance than yes. If you sight in your gun for sights parallel to barrel, such that at like 25 yards, POI is low by an amount equal to sight over bore height then I don't believe that the affect you're all talking about even exists.
>tl:dr you're all wrong.

That sounds like a good way to hurt your shoulder. But I wouldn't know, the thought to tilt my rifle off my shoulder never occurred to me.