What would Jow Forums recommend as the most effective weapon for culling feral horses in the Australian 'high country'...

what would Jow Forums recommend as the most effective weapon for culling feral horses in the Australian 'high country', keep in mind this is extremely remote, rugged, alpine terrain

Attached: 4723906-16x9-700x394.jpg (700x394, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4pbzoK7PmXE
youtu.be/8jRTrRxamxQ?t=30s
youtube.com/watch?v=JqGiLMpZdBw
youtube.com/watch?v=sqr9OQ3ez8U
youtu.be/if9p1TnDvRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A boltgun in a full power rifle cartridge, save me some horsesteaks Jow Forumsomrade

k98k

Attached: E6E9DDC1-C1FD-4434-90A3-8B99E1793FA4.jpg (1536x277, 500K)

type and calibre?
Also horse meat is illegal in straya :(
only one butcher, in WA not Victoria/NSW where the brumbies are a problem, has a special license for it.

why not just round them up and break them then sell them? seems like a waste to just kill them when you could make a mint off training and braking them only to sell them off

Attached: kot.gif (500x603, 950K)

keep in mind you may need to be shooting from a great distance, have to proceed on foot, or fire from a helicopter

Only an animay idiot thinks breaking a wild horse is easy

Attached: blyat.jpg (480x467, 26K)

The Australian 'high country'/alpine region extremely remote and rugged terrain
There is no access for trucks and horsefloats

Rounding them up is difficult and time consuming and expensive

There are 6000 of them
With no market for horse meat there aren't enough buyers

The population needs to be tightly controlled or else they will endanger native wildlife and plants, as well as overpopulate and starve themselves to death

Attached: falls-creek-to-mt-hotham_hc_r_1461476_1150x863.jpg (1150x863, 164K)

and of course, dangerous for the people trying to round them up and dangerous for the feral horses too
You try getting one in a coral and it bolts or bucks and people or the horse could be injured

moar high country

Attached: IMG_4671_zps4750fa62.jpg (1024x682, 152K)

imagine having a panicking feral horse bucking and rearing in your horsefloat as you come down that bumpy winding dirt trail
It would injure itself

wolves

We don't have wolves in Australia
Are you suggesting we introduce them to deal with the horses?
We already have feral foxes and cats and dogs that play havoc on native wildlife
Not to mention also the Indian Minor Bird and the Cane Toad were similarly introduced by earlier generations to deal with some problem and then got out of hand

Australia truly is the land of retarts.

Browning machine gun, the weapon that made them obsolete in real life.

>machine gunning wild animals
>cant spell retard
good work Jow Forums

I'd go with any common hunting cartridge in .30 caliber. Use the heaviest bullet you can find.

Anything that's in the .308 family would suffice. So .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5CM, hell even 6mm CM will do. Use whatever commonly available bonded softpoint you have available to you.

I would suggest a lightweight, polymer+stainless sporter boltgun as they're easy to carry and easy to maintain in austere conditions, and you won't be shooting high enough round counts to worry about recoil.

>not machine gunning wild animals
Oh wait, it's ausfailia, the animals will fight back and disgrace you.

*again

Im just spitballing here, but the same way your ranchers control feral hogs.

SKS with lots of mags and a dirtbike/atv covered in jerry cans

Wild pigs are tougher than horses and 7.62x39 hunting ammo in steel cases is cheap as fuck in volume. The SKS will tolerate steel and when it eventually dies from wear just get a new one, they're cheap too.
youtube.com/watch?v=4pbzoK7PmXE

>grenade and rocket launchers
>semiautomatic and automatic weapons
>in Australia
H
O
W

Considering Australia's fire arm laws, have a pickup truck force them into a spear wall.

professional liscensed vermin control.
probably all gets locked up like fort knox at the end of the day.

Somehow I doubt horses would choose to live there. Sure enough, do you see any horses in those pictures?

Why would horses even need to be culled? No way are they a danger to the kangaroos and koalas. Dingos would not go near them and get injured, either. Leave the horses alone.

>Somehow I doubt horses would choose to live there. Sure enough, do you see any horses in those pictures.
Wild Mustangs in Nevada live in terrain exactly like that.
Why would horses even need to be culled? No way are they a danger to the kangaroos and koalas. Dingos would not go near them and get injured, either. Leave the horses alone.
No natural predators or rivals even. They out compete naive species for food and territory, wild horses are quite territorial, particularly about water. If not controlled, they'll just breed and breed and native species will lose out because of it, perhaps even becoming endangered. Humans introduced them and turned them loose in the ecosystem for a lazy easily available source of horses when Euro first settled Aus. Human have to control the population so it doesnt damage the native ecosystem, because like you say, even dingos would have trouble with them and dingos are the only thing there even vaguely capable of hunting them.

Welcome to hunting as ecological conservation 101 my name is prof. user and I will be learning you.

they're not in those pictures because they're too close to people and the noises they make

Attached: dsc07041.jpg (480x319, 68K)

Attached: 7695374-3x2-700x467.jpg (700x467, 69K)

no need to reinvent the wheel, just do what nature do.
Anthrax!

Attached: whitepowder.jpg (620x400, 42K)

their hoves fuck up native vegetation and destroy waterways
they eat large amounts of vegetation also endangering them, and competing with wild animals
if their numbers are not controlled they will quickly overpopulate and cause more destruction and then starve when they have exhausted the food supply

>The decision comes a few weeks after an independent committee found feral horses in the Alpine region were endangering more than 20 plant species and seven animal species, including three endangered frogs.

Attached: 035dafa086964fc396ec937714f3d7bf.jpg (500x333, 59K)

The RPG and M-79 footage is from a Vietnam holiday, I believe.

Professional cullers can get semi-autos in Aus, its just not for the layman.

bush tucker man flashbacks

Could a foreigner get a job there hunting the horses?

probably, I don't see why not
if they issue a call for shooters that is

there is a lot of sentimental bullshit over the brumbies in the high country + people who think they're advocating for animal rights but haven't thought this through past "poor widdle cute fwuffy animals" and when the two combine it becomes hard to cull them

7mm Rem Mag

aren't Israeli mausers cheap over there?

Cheap and abundant 7.62, and a part of WW2 history which is easy to find in Australia, but hard everywhere else.

Isn't pest control one of the few, if any reasons to legally own a semi auto in Australia?

There are videos of Aussies on motorcycles gunning down pests legally with an SKS.

So, maybe try to go for whatever semi auto you want and can get, if there's a chance.

Why is horse meat illegal there? Feels or disease prevention?

>wolves

Oh let's just introduce ANOTHER invasive species to Australia, that'll solve things.

Category D is indeed open to pest control
same as England and parts of the USA, feels

funny thing about those states that have banned it, animal shelters in those states now have to deal with broken down old nags that require thousands of dollars of vet bills and food piling up at their door

>same as England and parts of the USA, feels

Damn, that's crazy. I thought the anglosphere were only feeltards when it came to whales.

Well, you could always slaughter them for yourself. Free, delicious beef for the rest of your life.

whales are endangered
horses are not

the whales Norway and Iceland hunt aren't endangered. And most of the whales Japan hunt, aren't endangered.

I agree.

Attached: get gud.jpg (519x341, 30K)

The FSA opened up the horse meat game a bit, but they still drag their feet when it comes to approving new slaughter houses. there is like one or two.

You know this gif? that's one of the guys showing off for the media to rustle jimmies after fighting a long legal battle. I ain't got the moving one, but its in memes and stuff.

Attached: images7.jpg (228x221, 6K)

typed FSA, ment FDA, actually correct: USDA.

I've never seen this gif. But I doubt that's a carrot he's pulling out.

t. horse

>Damn, that's crazy. I thought the anglosphere were only feeltards when it came to whales.

Are you also OK with eating dogs and housecats?

Would be interesting to see what, if any, worthwhile genetic stock could be found in this region's feral horse population. But regardless, controlling their population is important, so long as they don't aim to outright exterminate them all - whatever will comfortably kill an elk will comfortably kill a horse.

Attached: Feather.jpg (2688x1520, 1.74M)

>And most of the whales Japan hunt, aren't endangered.
Australia gets shitty with Japan, because they sometimes do it in territorial waters that Australia claims. Although that was more of a problem twenty years ago.

>Are you also OK with eating dogs and housecats?

Wouldn't eat it no. But I wouldn't want government restrictions prohibiting me from eating it. As long as you're not eating human, you should be able to eat anything.

Bullshit they aren't. That's why Japan makes up that crap about their hunts being "scientific expeditions".

If people could eat whatever they liked, animals would extinct and then nobody could eat them. Nobody really cared about whale hunting until it was demonstrably driving them to extinction.

I know one crazy bloke who could do it.

Attached: oldmate.jpg (316x421, 17K)

That doesn't look so bad. It's just some rolling hills. Australia is a flat country, you know. A very old continent.

which is why i specified eat, not kill or hunt.

Minke whales, cats, dogs, and horses aren't endangered, so there's no reason to ban the consumption of them.

The only reason is feels.

Fairly sure invasive wild horses aren't in danger of extinction due to overhunting

Well yeah, but who the hell wants to eat wild horses? Wild game isn't so great to start with. It's not like the corn feed cows. It's also a lottery as to the quality of each horse, from how they lived to how well they were killed. It all affects the taste. Then there's the possibility of parasites and such. Lots of variables compared to farm animals. Unless the meat is super duper cheap, I'd never consider it for my protein.

Kangaroo can be nice, though. I may be a hypocrite on that. Horses must taste like shit if they won't serve them in stores. Either that or there's the feels issue. I mean using horses to make glue is no different from eating them, but people still got sad over that.

>from the country that manufactures Glocks
>asks what kind of gun to buy

troll/10

If we're able to practice animal husbandry consumption only guarantees an animal's survival if anything. Have any idea how many chickens are alive in the US right now? 9 billion chickens were slaughtered in 2008 to give you an idea.

The most reliable .308 you can afford.

It's like you've never heard of the passanger pigeon.

The tale of the passenger pigeon is one of the most tragic extinction stories of modern times. It was actually the most common bird in North America as recently as 200 years ago, and some reports counted single flocks numbering in the billions. So what happened?

The pigeon meat was commercialized and sold as cheap food, mostly for slaves and the poor, which began an unregulated hunting campaign on a massive scale. In 1896, the final flock of 250,000 were killed by a group of hunters who actually knew that it was the last flock of that size in existence. Not a single bird was left behind.

Attached: PassengerPigeon.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart[1].jpg (500x400, 26K)

>Australia
>Glock
>being this retarded

Attached: capitalistplz.jpg (276x280, 43K)

And get a drone too, to spot the horses. Something with big batteries which can fly high so as not to spook the horses. And a massive ass solar panel to recharge it's batteries in case you're away from a power socket for a long time. That or get an inverter for your vehicle.

>animal husbandry
Nigga can you fucking read?

dogs and housecats are carnivores and not good sources of meat
The alpine region being high altitude isn't as extreme as the rest of Australia, in fact it snows up there, they're probably not that different to elsewhere

The feral Water Buffalo in the top end have become much more hardy and sought after abroad thanks to the rugged conditions they have adapted to

its probably several hundred km from the nearest road
the question is about killing a large powerful mammal weighing several hundred kilos

>the question is about killing a large powerful mammal weighing several hundred kilos

10mm Glocks don't exist?

7.5 B R N O

>its probably several hundred km from the nearest road
No, it's probably more like a few km from the nearest road.

Attached: 2f2bf961f79aefbcdb03f362b242af02.jpg (564x578, 91K)

It's amazing that people used to go into the snow without gloves.

Nothing worth doing is easy

>other than your mother

Is there any country where horses actually have predators? They seem too big and fast for anything short of a lion to catch and kill.

Attached: Deathclaw_approach[1].jpg (1000x750, 342K)

A wolf pack will fuck a horse up.

How's a bunch of dogs going to catch and kill a horse? The foals, yeah, but an adult? I've seen adult horses break human legs with their stomps and kicks.

A brown bear will catch a deer in a straight line chase, maybe a horse too?

A bear couldn't catch a turtle, user.

Got I fucking hate minor birds. It's infuriating to see them chasing other birds out of my neighbourhood. Our laws are so fucked that I can't even get an air rifle to waste the fuckers that land in my back yard.

lmao

youtu.be/8jRTrRxamxQ?t=30s

It's hardly going to catch a possum with that climbing speed. Horses don't climb, either.

Attached: bait.webm (1075x600, 2.9M)

Wolves are pack predators dude. They lay ambushes.One or two wolves might get injured or killed, but a horse has enough meat to feed the whole pack for days or even weeks if it's a smaller pack. And yes, by and large wolves will target the oldest/slowest/weakest member of the herd.

youtube.com/watch?v=JqGiLMpZdBw
Note how the deer at best managed to keep the distance, until it tripped.

nigger I was getting within 15 yards of white tails when I was a mindless brain dead child, they literally run into each other and fall over like in a cartoon, I have had early morning raccoons trot by within spear poking distance and more than a few fat country coons I could have easily outran and grabbed, how is a bear incapable of catching a deer or other crittr

youtube.com/watch?v=sqr9OQ3ez8U

An animal as heavy as the bear would have lasted much longer in that chase. The deer would have got away if it didn't trip.

>15 yards of white tails

Are your arms 15 yards long? You didn't get lose to catching them. Bears don't have spears, either.

>7mm rem mag
yes. depends on how many horses you want the bullet to go through though

Horse meat itself is not illegal.

I guess that from now on every time a bear runs down and kills a deer you will just have to eat your hat or something. I honestly don't know what to say to someone who claims something doesn't exist when presented with hundreds of documented first hand recordings of that thing existing. This is some pretty good bait I must admit and if its not please use birth control methods.

Are you retarded

You never presented hundreds of first hand recordings. You're completely delusional.

I was going to say that kek, knowing full well how many invasive species have been introduced to Australia.
I wish wolf packs would invade the streets of the southside of Chicago. There's an infestation worse than any horses.

>culling feral horses in the Australian 'high country', keep in mind this is extremely remote, rugged, alpine terrain

Why cull them then? Makes no sense

If westerns have taught me anything, this will drop them every time. You can eat horses all you want in the US but there's some law that bans meat inspections at the moment so it's a market issue. I think the only food we banned was babies and tofu in Texas steakhouses.

Attached: original.img.jpg (6444x1596, 1.74M)

Sportered .303 and a helicopter, youre not the first person to be culling shit in this country.

Attached: 1512039688715.webm (406x720, 1.38M)

>not finding the herd of brombie-horsebros in the high country
>not riding down a hillside in Jow Forums fashion
>not using horsebros for fun, profit, and possible waifus

youtu.be/if9p1TnDvRY

just what kind of massive faggot are you?

Attached: themanfromsnowyriver.png (1350x677, 730K)