How come no army has developed functioning exoskeletons yet...

How come no army has developed functioning exoskeletons yet? How fucking hard does it have to be in order to create a basic exoskeleton?

Attached: Exo_concept_2_AW.jpg (1024x622, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

defensenews.com/land/2018/05/24/iron-man-ussocom-1-year-from-putting-operator-into-powered-exoskeleton/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar
hooktube.com/watch?v=bqGtyzI3tn4
hooktube.com/watch?v=7v-cEGcchKY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's not THAT hard to make the exoskeleton, the issue is getting enough power to it without counteracting it by sticking a huge fucking battery on back. If it's only got 45 minutes of juice it's really not going to help on those 2 hour patrols.

Power source isnt reliable or portable enough yet.

could you even make a batch of cookies by yourself?

They have.
They're just not viable for mass production and issuing yet.

Attached: exoskeleton 001.jpg (980x552, 188K)

Attached: exo carry 1.jpg (800x1198, 436K)

Wonder what would happen if you shot those fuck huge lithium cells?

Attached: talos exo ironman.jpg (530x982, 113K)

Well that's part of the problem, power source is too large and exposed, and there is no real way to armor it currently without upping the weight significantly.

are those fuckin nikes?

>His supersoldier program isn't also fly as hell

Here in Spain we are using them for our navy shipyards

Attached: Exoesqueleto034.jpg (575x393, 82K)

That makes sense, on the battlefield they will probably first see usewith those working with heavy weapons and other heavy equipment

RUSSIAN EXO ARMOR STRONK

Attached: 1417146580180.jpg (680x463, 103K)

>How come no army has developed functioning exoskeletons yet? How fucking hard does it have to be in order to create a basic exoskeleton?

Apparently the holdup is making the skeleton part strong and light enough. USSOCOM thinks they'll have a working demonstration model next year.

But that really shouldn't be the case. Most of the prototype exos so far have carrying capacities that are in the hundreds of pounds. Slightly increasing the thickness or density of the frame would hardly impact the weight capacity (and who cares about the weight when its unpowered?). At least its nothing compared to the weight of the battery and turbine, plus armor plating.

It is probably just a generic explanation or excuse to cover a variety of unresolved issues. The whole system needs refining, which is just as expected for any new technology. Got a source for them saying its next year?

Here you go.
defensenews.com/land/2018/05/24/iron-man-ussocom-1-year-from-putting-operator-into-powered-exoskeleton/
It's also the source of the CF parts being light enough but too fragile for the job, while the Titanium parts are too expensive for this stage of prototype development.

Why don't they put a normal engine on them instead of batteries?

gonna be the humvee problem all over again

>Why don't they put a normal engine on them instead of batteries?
Why not both? Fuel cells and Lithium Ion batteries are being developed in tandem.

>2 days ago
Dang, must have missed the thread. Thanks.

>It's also the source of the CF parts being light enough but too fragile for the job, while the Titanium parts are too expensive for this stage of prototype development.
Hence why I mentioned the weight issue. Just use good old steel. As a plus a steel frame would be resilient to small arms fire by itself, which can save weight when you can avoid needing to layer the armor on top of the frame.

>Hence why I mentioned the weight issue. Just use good old steel. As a plus a steel frame would be resilient to small arms fire by itself, which can save weight when you can avoid needing to layer the armor on top of the frame.

Power and strength to weight ratios are still critical in this application. I don't think they really have the margins to spare on the exoskeleton when they're trying to take the aerospace route of "just enough" of everything they're trying to put in to make it light enough to actually work.

The "just enough" does fit in with it being the Tactical Assault "Light" Operator Suit. What a shame, the Medium and Heavy versions are going to have goofy abbreviations as a result.

I personally would have gone with a more grounded approach of not trying to scrape the bare minimum and go for a more bulky suit that has a lot more leeway, but that's just me. I can't see the potential slight improvements to its speed by shaving off as much weight as possible being as useful as simply building it tough.

>that one fudd in the facebook comments every time

Encumbering the troops and reducing their mobility in exchange for carrying capacity is considered a self defeating compromise.

You need a decent power source which we have yet to invent, but people are experimenting with wireless energy transfer too so that might work.

That's is the point of the powered exoskeleton, that is its job. And you got it backwards, I'm saying that using a heavier, more durable, cheaper material such as steel for the frame would cut into the carrying capacity of the suit (given that it's movement systems are constant) and make it a little more sluggish due to inertia. Emphasis on "little".

If they are trying to keep the suit as light as possible for the off chance that the user has to drag it around if the power or actuator system fails, then I think they are missing the forest for the trees. A handful of extra pounds per unit isn't going to affect its shipping weight much either.

Excess weight has a bad way of eliminating systematic margins. Increased leg weight means increased requisite actuator power means reduced battery life which means larger batteries or fuel cells are needed which means you need a stronger frame, which means you need stronger actuators, and so on and so forth.

This

Also take into account that you'd need to find an actual use for it, integrate it into your doctrine and basically upend the entire system to make it a viable addition. Also funding.

>How fucking hard does it have to be in order to create a basic exoskeleton?
It's easy. What's hard are the batteries

>Increased leg weight means increased requisite actuator power
As mentioned, early prototypes like the HULC already carry hundreds of pounds of spare weight, not including itself and the huge early backpack batteries. There is no need to upgrade the actuators to offset a slightly increased frame weight.

>They're just not viable for mass production and issuing yet.
And they never will be, because nothing has that sort of energy density without also being explosive or radioactive

Moving from composites to steel requires a very generous definition of "slight" in this context.

Lithium.... Modern shoot flame thrower tank to explode myth incoming.

>implying as soon as soldiers get exoskeletons to assist mobility, brass won't load them down with another 150 pounds of shit turning them back to square one and the soldiers knees into dust

>And they never will be
Except when they're already one year away from more demonstration prototypes. How are you still living in the early 2000s?

Nevermind, no need to answer that question. Half of Jow Forums is perpetually under a rock until it gets forcefully flipped over.

I had no idea gonk droids ran on vodka.

Look at how much militaries around the world spend on the individual fighter's gear. Clothing, steel body armor, equipment vest and a very simple gun. You think the next step from that is a fucking wearable robot? I mean, maybe for some spec ops teams. Chances are, those guys either won't need them most of the time or they don't want to pay to develop something like that to be used in small quantities. Then there's the obvious issue of power sources and ease of maintenance, neither of which are up to par with the tried and tested human body's recharging and automatic diagnosis and repair capabilities.

>Steel body armour
Brainlet detected

power supplies are too large to be mobile
functional exoskeletons have existed for years, most of them extremely good at what they do, but they'd need a mobile fusion reactor to work.

how old are you
I bet $50 it's not 18+

I don't know what your country issues to soldiers, ceramic?
May I see your argument as well?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar

Attached: JustAboutDone.jpg (200x192, 5K)

Your country must be a third world shithole, or you're retarded. Maybe both.

Jesus christ. Why are you even on Jow Forums if you don't know the basics of body armor?

fuck off, i don't want to carry any more shit than i have to do already.

what are the basics of body armour? i'm a newfag.

How about you not be a little bitch and be physically fit enough to carry and lift your bodyweight?

>you want to stop bullet

>if you want to stop a pistol bullet, you should probably use some form of aramid, probably kevlar, to trap the bullet and gradually reduce it's speed until it stops
>this can be done with a reasonably thin vest, thanks to the relatively low speed, mass and density of the average pistol round
>very high velocity pistol rounds will still go through, as will rifle rounds, because soft body armor works by trapping the bullet in a dense web of hard to break fibers that eventually slow the bullet down through sheer resistance to tearing, zipping through the vest will defeat it
>you can also put kevlar into helmets and other pieces of clothing like the vests soldiers wear to stop most shrapnel from grenades, and some pistol rounds
>there are a few different soft body armor protection standards, from IIA that will stop most 9mm rounds, 40 S&W etc to IIA that will stop .44 magnum and 10mm auto

>if you want to stop a rifle bullet, you need something very hard that will simply stop the projectile in it's tracks or dissipate it's energy somehow
>this is done two ways, with a steel armor plate or a ceramic armor plate
>steel armor plates work by simply being thicker and harder than the bullet can handle, normally they're covered in a spall liner to prevent bits of bullet and metal from digging into your arms when you get shot
>ceramic armor plates work by shattering the bullet, therefore absorbing the force of the bullet and stopping it
>you can mostly pick between the two, steel is generally cheaper than ceramic
>the two standards are level III and level IV, level III will stop 7.62 NATO and below, level IV will stop 30-06 armor piercing rounds
>if you want to defeat these plates you need very hard bullets going very fast, or you need to simply overwhelm it (30-06 on a level III plate will probably do it)

Google NIJ levels. Rule of thumb: soft armor is useless against rifles.

Because being physically fit is the bare minimum to get to the combat zone, and we want better or even ~overmatch.~

Attached: ATSW5NLDQREOHNPGLPXVYU75OA.jpg (1200x1600, 339K)

>OP just wants advanced warfare to become real so he can exo jump around killing sandniggers with his Bal-27 Obsidian Steed

I'd be happy with just a BAL-27.

thanks aonn

Wat dis? Are we ODST now?

Attached: weebafett.jpg (720x720, 104K)

what's with all the random shape breakups? do those edges serve a purpose?

That's the TALOS prototype, and those are wear markings. Word on the street is it's >70% body coverage at XSAPI level.

kek

blyatsuit is primed and ready

It's generally not worth it.

You'll end up spending as much (or much more, at least initially) on a single soldier's kit than the cost of a tank, but you'll only marginally increase the lethality and survivability of the soldier. Even ideally, the power armor will only be about as well armed and survivable as a Humvee.

While there are some niche rolls where it would excel, like being the door-kicker in urban combat, it just isn't worth the cost at this point.

>a tank
3-4 million plus 4 soldiers worth about half a mil each in training and life insurance

>an exoskeleton
Definitely under 120k, maybe under 40k.

SOCOM has a history of not being retarded, I'm gong to go with them on this one.

Looks breddy aesthetic desu. I wonder if they'll make a wide visor helmet similar to the ODST with ALON. The future of warfare is now.

If it's so easy how about you go quick rig one up, then you can sell it to the army for (((billions))) and report back to us

literally hunter armour from destiny

JUST FUCKIN MAKE THEM ALREADY!!

Attached: MV5BNWMwZTc1Y2QtYTI4NC00NzhmLTlmYjQtZTdlM2ExZTZjMjhiL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1 (640x346, 31K)

Because batteries are hard.

ONE OF the prototypes, or maybe even just a really tarted up mockup. The Revision entry looked a lot more reasonable with the coverage, though I wouldn't be unhappy if the final TALOS really did have armor plates that thicc.

1. needs more abdomen and groin protection
2. needs fully enclosed helmet with either thick transparent metal visor or camera-screen (because the head is the squishiest meatbag part)
3. needs bigger pauldrons

>needs bigger pauldrons
Only higher ranking guys get those

fucking viper squad

>You will never be a SF operator with a Tom Selleck mustache and an exoskeleton
Why god

Attached: 3D Pepe.png (358x398, 147K)

If exo-skeleton technology gets powerful enough (talking like 300 years in the future or however long till there's some crazy breakthrough in portable energy), will we just see suits of power armor with a shitton of mass and protection?

Attached: DW.jpg (1167x700, 185K)

at that point, cybernetics and android tech will practically render fleshy normies obsolete.

Attached: 1385568414710.jpg (1280x954, 1.78M)

Probably at some point along the way, but after that they'll start looking like some H.R. Giger alien shit with self healing armored skin and every type of nanomachine military application you can think of integrated in the suit.
Kind of awkward painting by the way, guy on the right looks like he's tripping over and falling forwards.

Funny. I played CoD Advanced Warfare recently and was struck by how little affect the presence of Exo suits had on the world. They were ridiculously light things that everyone has. They're strong enough pull off the bulkhead doors on a naval vessel and punch through armour plating. They also seem to never run out of power. They made everyone as strong as terminators. Yet nobody is carrying bigger weapons. Nobody is carrying thousands of rounds of ammo. Nobody is really doing anything to take advantage of the extra strength, aside from some jugganaut suits that you very rarely see. All the exo suit is used for is jumping high and punching people, as well as some other things that don't really require an exosuit, like magnetic climbing gloves, electrically charged riot shields and noise attacks. It wasn't really thought out much.

Attached: Exo.jpg (1000x1691, 1.12M)

Sword will come back under power armor, just you watch.

Tanks will be useless against power armor swarms, and they are too fast against artillery.

That's due to the lack of imagination.

Now watch this:

hooktube.com/watch?v=bqGtyzI3tn4
Or this:
hooktube.com/watch?v=7v-cEGcchKY

>us special forces are becoming jin-roh now
brb training to join the SF.

>hooktube

The fuck is this? Not sure if I'm going to click that.

It's Youtube directed so it doesn't get view.

You need to be a officer (requires a uni degree) and serve on the ground for five years before you can join SF. Most SF are 30 or older.

If they loaded themselves down they wouldn't have the mobility, which proves itself in-universe to be super duper good because you the hero can singlehandedly take down multiple Goliaths when they are looking the wrong way. The Atlas helmeted elite enemies near the end do come in full suits of powered armor and take a lot more fire without sacrificing their speed; you could probably imagine how hard the game would be if every enemy was that tough as a baseline.

if you have the tech to make stronger/better than human androids you have the tech to make equally good exo-skeletons

Attached: 1527290459609.jpg (1297x977, 810K)

>How come no army has developed functioning exoskeletons yet?
Russians did and they use them.

Attached: 149252615518726024[1].jpg (600x400, 76K)

Funnily enough I think that one of the best uses for exoskeletons would actually be for police SWAT teams because operational time isn't quite as relevant and all they need is a dude completely armored in ballistic shit for breaching. And if we go like five steps further can you imagine an exoskeleton acting as a recoil dampener for full auto .50 bmg SBR?

The idea of an armored breacher is actually very bad. They just slow everything down and give the enemy more time to react. Surprise and speed are more effective than a guy who gets stuck in doors and at stairs. Most rooms are cleared in mere seconds by breaching teams.

Hence why you give him an exoskeleton so he isn't slowed down. Another possible situation would be if you got into an unavoidable killzone like in the Paris terrorist attacks where the GIGN team was forced into a tight corridor in order to actually engage the terrorists. I'm too lazy to google but if I remember right the point guy took like 45-ish rounds to his ballistic shield and they couldn't open fire until they were super close because of human shields.

The point was that why include a limiting handicap like human flesh in the equation at all, when you can just make a superior mechanical body?

Not to mention the whole necessity of having actual humans in the frontlines will probably diminish out of existence within the next century or so.

Attached: 1522720595310.jpg (1338x1890, 862K)

An exosuit isn't going to change your speed around corners that much, nor how well your armored body fits through doors. I think the ballistic shield is handy in some situations, but not for breaching.

While having androids/robots replace humans is pretty far off a big advantage would actually be deployment. No matter what kind of exoskeleton you give them the human body can only withstand so much acceleration. You could deploy them even by shooting them with artillery or having some kind of aircraft with massive deceleration and logistics would be significantly easier when you could just package them.

Human soldiers will always need to be killed in some way to rile up the civvies.

>No matter what kind of exoskeleton you give them the human body can only withstand so much acceleration
Exactly my point. And there's other significant weaknesses; you can easily drive a human mad with loud noises, heat & microwave attacks can be super effective, and you can always just wait for dehydration, malnutrition or diseases to kick in.

Correction: poorfag countries / factions will be the ones relying on human troops, and they'll be the first ones to get butchered.
Add in the fact that most of the world's already disarmed as it is now, and you can bet your ass that a typical near-future civvie given birth by iPhone-era parenting won't have much choice but to surrender and take it all like a girl.

Attached: 1348407057356.jpg (1200x1497, 578K)

What ever happened to that one boomer faggot and his "bear" suit?

The SAMAS, or “Sam” as it is commonly called, is a complete environmental body armor that has been enhanced, through robotics, with additional superhuman capabilities. The SAMAS, like all power armor, is basically a robot exo-skeleton with M.D.C. plating, superhuman strength, and weapon systems. The pilot fits inside the exo-skeleton as he would with any body armor. The SAMAS is a significant element of the Coalition’s armored
troops. The suit is designed for assault and defense. It can fly and hover and is incredibly small (basically man size compared to giant robots like the UAR-1) and maneuverable.

Attached: 5b919c8c35a6a4831e9e8978d5cd2c84.jpg (510x599, 50K)

Honestly Im not sure how this failure hasnt killed himself yet.

Attached: B822467195Z.1_20160424222456_000_G1C1LMS8B.2_Gallery.jpg (234x360, 23K)

After all, you cannot trust machines with all these powers.

Talk about fiction but the Imperium in Warhammer 40K learns the hard way, once an AI goes rogue, shit gets fucked.
So the best way is eugenics + bio enhancement + implant + power armor. Enhance the human, do not change/remove them.

battery tech is slowly catching up with ICE, but ICE is also getting more compact engines as well

Brass needs to shelve the quiet operator ambitions on power armor and make a one-man abrams suit

Tanks are gonna be real fucking obsolete when these things roll out.

And they hafta upgrade the tanks to catch up with these guys.

gas turboshafts pumping hydraulic actuators

You guys are so naive and stupid.

Not really, these things are gonna be much cheaper than tanks and much more useful in low intensity conflicts.

They would also be good as vanguard.

some LIII plates can take limited 30-06 fire

Now bear with me for a second, what if the armored trooper was the breaching device?