Is it possible to make an effective reasonably priced automatic revolver...

Is it possible to make an effective reasonably priced automatic revolver? Clearly the Fosbery and Unica mechanisms are too expensive and unreliable to go mainstream, but what if you used a different mechanism, like gas operated? I saw this pic and now I'm wondering how hard it'd be to have the ejecting case push the hammer back.

Attached: gas ejecting SAA.jpg (300x168, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zk-UCHsyTh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Forgive me for being retarded, but why? I know that double action has a significantly heavier trigger pull, but if you're that much of a pussy, just get a real semi-auto.

Thats exactly what i was thinking.

What in the fuck are you smoking op? Cause I want some.

>lets make this weird fuckin thing that combines two abstract systems that have nothing to do with eachother, and will most likely tear itself apart/blow up when first tested.

Lets just make a sword gun while were at it, gravity fed

What would be the point? It's not like shooting DA is particularly hard. I regularly shoot club matches with my revolver and its 12 lbs DA trigger. If you're willing to futz around with springs, extended firing pins, and soft primers, you can get your DA down to 6-8 lbs.

I would rather deal with the G20, Coonan, Desert Eagle, a literal buildup pistol and not that boberg shit or a Bergmann 1910/21 or C96 based magnum than to fuck with making a revolver gas operated

It could combine some advantages of automatics with those of revolvers.
>short light trigger pull, easier to shoot
>faster reload than normal revolver, no need to work ejector rod
>can use in pocket or in CQC reliably like revolver
>relatively simple and cheap addition of gas tube, other minor modifications would be required too
>guy who made OP pic also added a mag to it, if you could make one more compact it could give you higher capacity and faster reloads

Attached: 8339446759_0390b3c4d8_b.jpg (650x364, 60K)

>>short light trigger pull, easier to shoot
SA automatic
>>faster reload than normal revolver, no need to work ejector rod
mag reloads are faster
>>can use in pocket or in CQC reliably like revolver
trigger pull and reload advantages are moot in a CQ/ground fight
>>relatively simple and cheap addition of gas tube, other minor modifications would be required too
not that simple if you want something rugged and reliable, not to mention economical
>>guy who made OP pic also added a mag to it, if you could make one more compact it could give you higher capacity and faster reloads
once again, mags are better in that respect

The only even slightly good reason I can think of is because cap-and-ball revolvers, along with pin-fire revolvers, are some of the very few plausible repeating firearms that can be made today and still exempted from NFA as antique firearms.
Thus, making a cap-and-ball Webley Fosbery Fully Automatic Revolver is perfectly legal.

So you agree that a mag fed automatic revolver combines the advantages of both guns then?

I want a revolver rifle with that nagant revolver method of sealing the gap so your arm doesn't get fucked up.

No, because why the fuck would you add a revolving mechanism if the pistol is being fed by a magazine? Why not, oh I don't know, use a tilting/rotating barrel like everybody else has figured out works better over the past century?

Literally the only thing a revolver has an advantage over an autoloader in the context of self-defense is in stand-off shooting, where capacity and trigger pull matter very little.

Attached: HK_USP_10.jpg (1920x1270, 333K)

double-stack 1911 with big fucking shroud
>trigger pull
check
>faster reload than revolver
check
>pocket/contact shooting
check
>simple modifications to commercially produced gun
check
>add a mag
... it already has one, but you can add a bigger one, I guess?

This guy gets it.

Attached: pic-2013-04-09-1911-sideview-dsc00613-large.jpg (800x533, 113K)

>why the fuck would you add a revolving mechanism if the pistol is being fed by a magazine
I can think of a few reasons. First is no mag in grip, letting you have a more ergonomic revolver grip. It also lets you use longer revolver rounds, which normally aren't practical in an automatic. You could add a 6 round .44 magazine to the back of an N frame and it wouldn't add too much bulk, you can't get that kind of power in a normal automatic. It could also let you squeeze more rounds into the same size package. If you put a 6 round mag behind a 6 round cylinder in a compact .357 revolver, it would barely increase its size, and so for a gun around the size of a Glock 26 you'd have higher capacity with a more powerful cartridge. Then you couldn't have a hammer though, you could make it striker fired.

You could build something that would work and be fitted to a regular single action revolver but it would have some serious issues.
The idea I thought of would use a flapper or gas cup mounted on the muzzle of the revolver, said flapper would have a pivot point and be connected to an operating rod mounted across the top of the revolver in a housing. The hammer itself would have an extension that sticks up from the frame or it would be reshaped entirely for this purpose. Upon firing the bullet would pass through a hole in the center of the flapper/ gas cup and it would be propelled forward. It would swing on its pivot point and actuate the op-rod which would move backwards, striking the extension on the hammer and recocking the action. The op-rod would have a return spring mounted to it so everything resets to the initial position for the next round.
A few problems however, first off the trigger mechanism would need a disconnect of some sort so it doesn't just immediately go full auto and kill your dog. Secondly, the wear on the pistols internals would be immense. It would be mechanised fanning of the action in essence and would likely wear the gun down fast. Lastly, powder fouling would very quickly cause malfunctions in the flapper mechanism and cause trouble. Despite all that it could likely be made functional if a bit retarded, I've been meaning to make an attempt on an old top break revolver. Then you could reload quickly and if it just eats a shit and explodes I'm not out much.

>so it doesn't just immediately go full auto and kill your dog
See , just make it a percussion revolver and doggo is safe. Use shoulder stock for best results.

>you can't get that kind of power in a normal automatic
I disagree.

Also, N frames are fucking huge. You add anything to it and it adds bulk. And have you ever shot a .357 snub nose? It's not pleasant.

There's more to effective shooting than how hot your cartridge is.

Attached: Glock_20.jpg (1000x664, 379K)

that standoff device. i like it.

What make is that?

and yet I really enjoy .45 super.

>Lets just make a sword gun while were at it, gravity fed

no...tubular bag and barrel in the spine of a gladius. in 44mag

I've thought about that actually, a percussion revolver would foul extremely fast but could probably function for a couple cylinders before it shit the bed.
Start with a Remington 1858 clone because of the closed top frame and easy to remove cylinder and go from there. You could carry a bandolier of sorts with three or four pre-loaded cylinders if you felt particularly insane and at least briefly you could shit out a lot of smoke and a lot of lead.

If you felt like chewing up money you could get a couple of the old S&W Lemon Squeezers or smokeless powder capable Iver Johnson's, Hopkins, H&R, etc and build a flapper system onto them. Then you could reload them quickly with speed loaders and get a fairly respectable rate of fire. Suppose you could use a pair of Uberti Schofield if you wanted to throw money into a furnace. A bit of trivia and explaining why the Christ I have this stupid idea, John Moses Brownings original patent for a semi-automatic rifle used a flapper and a linkage rod hooked directly to the truncated lever of a Winchester rifle. I figured a similar system flipped upside-down would be functional on a revolver.

What the fuck is the point? It's the worst of both worlds

>posting all this steampunk shit when Webley's exist

youtube.com/watch?v=zk-UCHsyTh4

Attached: webleyauto.jpg (533x338, 34K)