Newfag to guns, liberal upbringing never really exposed me to them...

Newfag to guns, liberal upbringing never really exposed me to them. Any recommendations for first time shooting/first gun purchase? Any other wisdom is also appreciated

pic is unrelated, just really like the aesthetic of the M16A1

Attached: [email protected] (2000x1033, 219K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UTfZSNogbV0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Go to a range and rent some different guns to get a feel for what you like.
Other than that just buy a ruger 10/22 and train with it

I recorded something just for n00bs like you, user.
youtu.be/UTfZSNogbV0

>Any recommendations for first time shooting
Do a lot of reading first on the history of firearms in general and then delve into the development of important advancements in firearms, and then delve into the history of firearms you're specifically interested. Visit your local range, there'll be a range officer to walk you through it, but in short. Finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, treat every firearm as if it is loaded, point it in a safe direction at all times. Also, start small, if you're indoor it will sound worse than it is, it will go bang loudly and lurch into your shoulder, do not fear the gun, respect it. First gun recommendations are the Ruger 10/22, CVA Hunter in .243, Mossberg Maverick 88, and any gun good for the price.

MP 15 Sport Gen 2 or Colt LE6920
Beretta 92FS or HK USP

Remember to keep any weapons locked in your safe at all times.
Otherwise they will escape your house and shoot kids.

If you aren't in a desperate hurry to arm yourself for protection or trying to get a gun before an imminent ban it's a good idea to start with .22lr.

It's a very low powered cartridge that's inexpensive to buy, low recoil, low flash and can be shot at virtually any gun range (including shitty indoor ranges). I'm personally biased towards bolt-actions, specifically the CZ 452 but a used one from the 1960s can be had for nearly nothing and will generally work fine. This rifle will be useful for spending time to really master the basic shooting skills and once you upgrade to centerfire it'll show.

I still recommend getting a decent pistol in 9mm and maybe a semi-automatic centerfire rifle of your choice (AR15s are the most practical and cost effective but a decent AK or even a battle rifle like the PTR-91 are viable options).

I think the pistol, be it a Glock 19, 1911, CZ, Beretta 92 or whatever you prefer is the most useful and flexible weapon for protection so it's the most basic and logical first purchase to cover that need.

What state do you live in, OP? Asking to get an idea of your local laws/shooting areas. The best thing I can reccomend right away is choose a good quality rifle and then learn all the basics, especially safety. Some dudes will tell you to get a .22. You can, but your're not a child either. You can start with an intermediate cartridge. Semi auto rifles, especially AR-15s are super cheap, we are really in the golden age. You can get a cheap AR-15 for as low as 400 bucks, but honestly do yourself a favor and buy a good name rifle as your first. You'll thank yourself later when you aren't wishing you bought a good one to begin with. Because the market is so flooded and prices are low, selling an AR after you bought one if you decide you want to upgrade is tough, so you'll lose your ass unless it's a top tier brand. Stick with brands like BCM, Colt, FN, Daniel Defense. You can get a Colt LE6920 for around 850. You can get something like that A1 style M16 clone thing in your photo for around 1k. If that's what you want, just get it.

just finished it. very informative and covered more than just the "what should I buy" question. thanks.

From Maine. I know our laws on buying, but only a little bit on stuff like carrying. Going to have to look a little more into where to buy and where to shoot.

My reasoning for the reading is you'll gain a familiarity in concept so they won't feel so strange and it removes the guess work.

If you like the M16A1, then Brownell's makes a semi-auto clone.

No, Brownells makes hot garbage.

Receivers = Ok
Furniture = Shitty thin copies unreinforced and hollow stock

Attached: Brownells_Handguard.jpg (3264x2448, 1.17M)

Rimfire rifles and rimfire pistols will always be useful to you, so do not be afraid to buy those first. If you will shoot rimfire a lot (you probably will) it makes sense to buy decent gear. Don't cheap out on scopes, etc - look for efficient purchases. Read up on RimfireCentral.

10/22s, Model 60s, CZ 452/455s, Savage Mark IIs all make good first rifles. M&P 15-22s are well-liked, but I have not been impressed with examples I've seen at Appleseeds (deformed lowers, pins walking out, general lack of accuracy). Some people swear by them though.

Ruger Mark-series pistols, Browning Buckmarks, and the new S&W Victory are good handguns choices. The Beretta Neos is also pretty decent. The Single Six is good as a .22 cowboy revolver. S&W and Ruger both make larger-frame double-action revolvers in .22, as well.

Well I mean swap out the furniture, or just buy the receivers and then build your own.

Nobody want to watch your shitty vlog

Agreed, from what I've heard the receivers are from nodak forgings which is pretty nice for the price

I have to disagree with the above posts about .22lr guns. IMO .22lr is hardly more useful than a pellet gun for shooting practice.

Pick up a .223 rifle or a 9mm handgun. S&W, PSA, and Ruger make good entry level AR-15s.

>/first gun purchase?
Right now there's no reason that an AR can't be a first gun anymore. You can get complete rifles for $450-500 right now. If you do an 80% build and buy a kit you can bring that down to $300 or lower.

Right now ARs are the best "first gun".

I still say you're better off with a 10/22 or a Marlin 60. Cheaper ammo & lower recoil = better practice.

>lower recoil
Zero recoil. Shooting a .22 doesn't really prepare you for shooting an intermediate cartridge any more than shooting a pellet gun does.
Most military forces no longer bother with .22 trainers any more because any able bodied dude should be able to learn how to control an intermediate rifle in fairly short order.

Ideally you want both a .22 and something with more recoil. That can be an AR, a 9mm handgun or a 12 guage. Which one you buy first is up to you honestly. I bought a Glock 19, then an AR, then a .22LR Bolt action. I will say when I bought the .22 and was able to head to the range with hundreds of rounds without breaking the bank, my shooting improved immensely.

Recoil control is important but if you can practice the other shooting skills without it that is also a valuable thing to have.

I was also from a liberal upbringing, pic related is my current collection.

Attached: IMG_0737.jpg (3252x2402, 1.58M)

>just really like the aesthetic of the M16A1
so go buy one. Colt Sporter 1's are dirt cheap, or at least they used to be, though I'm an oldfag and still think of FNC's as being a $700 rifle. Also I think Brownells is making an A1-alike if SP1's are getting pricey.