Is the army serious about buying an SMG? What should they get?

Is the army serious about buying an SMG? What should they get?

defensenews.com/newsletters/tv-next-episode/2018/05/28/submachine-guns-for-the-army/

Attached: MP5A3-MLI-RAL-LEFT1.jpg (1400x987, 65K)

gross

The colour? I agree. MP5s should be in black.

Since they ditched the m9 for the xm17 they still need a 9mm that actually works.

I hope they seriously look at the EVO. the only modern sub-gun that's cheap and rugged enough to be thrown into mass production and still be really reliable.

Attached: evo.jpg (1000x1000, 146K)

UMP9 seems a fair shout. I'm sure they'll want one chambered in 9mm so the UMP or something else from Europe.

If you ask me, they should just issue Colt 9mm SMGs or MP5s. Familiar platforms that need little additional training for the average soldier to qualify with. But what do I know.

>they also should have adopted the Glock as the new sidearm, but again, just my opinion

MP5 is , police, SWAT, SF and terrorist proven. Absolutely bombproof SMG, but outdated compared to the EVO or B&T offerings.

Glock 18

Those colors make me gag.
An MP5 would be a good choice though.

What does the EVO do that the MP5 doesn't?

People will shit on this but you could have a super compact sub gun if you put a stock on it and an aimpoint

yep

Where is this shit coming from? There is zero reason to adopt a submachine gun over a shot barreled rifle now that we have appropriate ammo.

>Where is this shit coming from?

signed. this is literally the dumbest waste of money. one of the NICER things about 5.56 is the ballistics out of a short barrel with a higher twist rate. one of the NICER things about their existing rifle platform is its size, rivaling bullpup length and range while being more ergo. Fully stupid.

Better recruits.

Attached: 1526742856570.jpg (1920x2560, 737K)

>You see Ivan...

Dont be fool is made of cheese, cheese not dangerous, stop being pussy.

>finnish conscript or reservist
>makes an "you see" joke

ISHIGGYDIGGYM8

>What should they get?

Attached: 1406981264003.jpg (1280x857, 192K)

Attached: arpdw.jpg (2048x1536, 315K)

>Where is this shit coming from?
Need to spend those budget bux or else they will loose them. Basic appropriations desu

>What should they get?
20mm air burst super grenade launcher.

Who cares, still a Slav.

you think it makes a difference in the hands of a women/retard

Attached: Cultural%20support%20team.jpg (1731x967, 444K)

>Need to spend those budget bux or else they will loose them.

That only makes sense if there isn't tons of actually-useful shit the fighting man needs. But there is tho.

>Is the army serious about buying an SMG?
Buying, yes, issuing, no.
>What should they get?
10 of everything, just so they can try them out and know what's on the market, and how they compare to SBRs.
This is not the interesting news that retards want it to be.

I can't rag on military women because they are some of the best women out there anywhere. But yeah, we have to set minimum standards and that includes weapons operation.

>finland
>slavic

>Serious

No. Watch the video. It’s literally just some random shill trying (and failing) to provide a reason for conventional forces to buy SMGs. The page title is prompted by nothing of substance.

“Oh you can fold it up and put it in your ruck.” Yeah...but why?

>breakaway region of Russia
>not Slavic

if you ask slavs, they woulödn't accept finns as slavs

Attached: 1517556620622.png (344x409, 262K)

Slavs wouldnt accept there own parents as slavs

You are right. The video isn’t even endorsed or anything by the military. It’s iust some guy at an expo holding up a couple of SMGs. People are retarded to think that equals some kind of signal the conventional military actually wants them.

howd u get that camo user? Looks like nigger rigged kryptek. dig it

The magazines suck.

Something really compact like an MP9 would make a good PDW, but the army isn't really screaming for a PDW.

5.56mm isn't that amazing with like a 10.5" barrel. Hell, even with a 14.5" barrel, M855 kind of ruins it.
Let's hope M855A1 pans out.

Finns are fucking mongols, you idiots.

I said they are not slavs

>nigger rigged kryptek

ty kind user.

two color, alternating stripes ala garand thumb's technique. use whatever cheap plastic stencils on amazon you think will look cool, i chose leaf patterns.

damn that bitch infront looks hard as hell. would take her to combat (or she would take me :^)

I can already hear the whining and butthurt

Attached: 78DEF58F-C889-4C6F-B0B5-9F9490ED645D.jpg (1500x700, 70K)

It'll probably be this tbqh if they choose anything at all. And not because it's Sig. They'll choose it because it's one of the best designs and it is manufactured in the United States and they'll be able to underbid HK.

I could see them passing up sig for the bad word of mouth and clickbait articles

Yeah just like they did with the M17 and M27

As a corpsman I would love to have a submachine gun or PDW or something shorter than an M4. It would be much easier to sling it to the side when I'm trying to take care of a patient.

Why not just a mk18 at that point?

She looks like a she-ork.

How so?

That would be fine too. Imo a folding stock would be nice too though. It doesn't help that everyone in my company has a suppressor so I pretty much get the same overall length of an M16.

nice quads
This is the most logical choice (if SIG can get their shit together with production) for almost the sole reason that it has the same manual of arms as the M4.

I feel weird saying it because I really don't care much for Sig handguns. I used to love them but I'm a Glock/HK guy, but I really love the MCX and think it's underrated and shit on just because it's Sig. To me, it's the perfect carbine/sbr to replace the m4 and mk18.

It was too late for the US army to back out from the M17 when problems started emerging, the M27 was well received by the marines who use them. I’d say HK has a good chance.

/thread

>the M27 was well received by the marines who use them
Except that they've now acknowledged the URG-I was the better platform between the two.

>5.56mm isn't that amazing with like a 10.5" barrel.

There's just no engagement range where I'd rather have a PDW than a carbine. Stopping power is a myth, shot placement is king, especially on a battlefield where kevlar is not uncommon even among the enemy.

It’s weird to point out body armor as a reason to pick 5.56mm over a PDW caliber since PDWs were literally designed to defeat body armor.

Yeah I get what you mean. I guess I'll have to make due with the M4. Its just that so far in exercises I rarely ever fire a shot.

Attached: Screenshot_20180518-090046.png (1080x1920, 1.35M)

>3 round burst of subsonic 9mm ball defeats the body armor

I'm not talking about 300BLK or FiveseveN here, I'm talking about pistol caliber SMGs.

This isn't the first place I've heard this crap though.

5.56mm is fine out of a 10.5" barrel with proper ammunition. The military already has the 70 gr TSX "brown tip" for this exact reason. Mk262 also works adequately. Absent that .300 Blackout was purpose designed for the role.
It's also relative. A bad rifle round is still usually more effective than a good pistol round. That particularly true given that most pistol rounds don't gain much from the extra barrel length, given they're optimized for 5" or less barrels.

>Is the army serious about buying an SMG?

No, learn what an RFI is.

>Is the army serious about buying an SMG

Absolutely not. Anything less than an assault rifle compromises a soldier's firepower too greatly. The M4 is already prefect to arm every soldier with. A PDW is a much better compact weapon to serve to soldiers who are not expected to do any long range fighting. Rattlers in .300 BLK, for instance.

It doesn't make any worthile difference to replace the M4A1 with the MCX, both pretty much do the same thing, except they already have a giant economy of scale for the thing and can both get them cheap from FNH, and any necessary replacement parts can easily be acquired for cheap and in large bulk from domestic producers, assuming for whatever reason things fell through with the Belgians.

Both are functioning 5.56 carbines, what the hell would make a folding stock and short-stroke piston worth all the time, money, trials and efforts to replace it? Complete sidegrade.

>Mk262 also works adequately.
Oh yeah, that's good shit, but old green tip isn't so amazing, with a little shorty carbine, it suffers at really not that far ranges.

>It's also relative. A bad rifle round is still usually more effective than a good pistol round.
True.

There's supersonic AP for 9mm

no, and AR9s

The best submachine guns on the market are the MP9, MP7, UMP series, Vector series and P90.

>UMP
>anything but hopelessly mediocre

The m4 will be phased out in the next 4-7 years. They are replacing it with the HK M27, the HK416 and HK433

Have worse recoil than an AR-15 because it's straight blowback. For this procurement any straight blowback SMGs should be thrown out of the fucking window or you're just wasting time.

>It was too late for the US army to back out from the M17 when problems started emerging

Why would the Army back out when the “problems” were easily rectified non issues?

more jewish sig casted india crap

I have heard, but not bothered to verify:
The UMP is no better than the MP5, but bulkier. It's pushed by H&K because it's cheaper to make.
The MP5 is a meme, and is only popular because the SAS used it in the embassy siege. Everyone had to have what they had, but I heard one of the SAS guys had his MP5 malfunction and had to transition to his sidearm.

I fucking doubt that, the muhreens arguing that the M27 is "totally a squad automatic weapon" doesn't mean the rest of the armed forces are gonna ditch M4s or M16s they already have.

>the HK416 and HK433
And who told you that? Your dad who works at H&K?
Why the fuck would the US Army redo everything for a middling economy-ish rifle like the 433, when M4A1s and M16A4s are already stupid cheap and well supported?

Moreover, why spend the giant sum on replacing with 416s, when they do nothing that current rifles and carbines already doesn't do?
The only worthwhile advantage the 416 has is better build quality, and the Army doesn't give a shit about that, they actively look for the lowest bidders, and you will not get a low bid for a rifle like that, FNH will consistently underbid any propositions for 416s with their M4s and M16s.

Grow out of your teenage H&K fanboy phase.

Did Sig actually fix the dangerous triggers on the M17?

They didn't affect the M17, just certain P320s

The trigger the Army uses is what Sig uses to fix civilian P320’s.

why subsonic ball though?

Mexican Navy replaced their MP5s with MPX’s two years ago, but I never see them outside of parades because no troop would pick one over their carbines. No one uses SMGs anymore.

The UMP was intended as a cheap alternative to the MP5, yes. It wasn't very popular though.

>The MP5 is a meme, and is only popular because the SAS used it in the embassy siege.
It's not bad, the upper steel receiver isn't too expensive, the delayed-blowback bolt weighs less than any blowback bolt, and firing from a closed bolt position together with this, it has pretty decent inherent precision, especially compared to a lot of older open bolt guns, recoil is also a little easier.

As a 9mm subgun, it's pretty good, but subguns aren't particularly relevant to frontline combat or entry teams these days, when carbines are just better.

Attached: 1524053143675.png (331x132, 40K)

Why even adopt a new platform for .300 Blackout? Just do a new upper receiver group.

The MP9.

Attached: BT-30104-N_2_big.jpg (1500x772, 70K)

Restart M3A1 production

Attached: 800px-M3-SMG.jpg (800x461, 132K)

P90 in 9x19 pls

PLEASE

The only possibility I can think of is something MP5K sized for unfit/female rear echelon troops, who bitch about carrying even a short barrel rifle around while on duty, and only realistically need something for engagement ranges found on-base or urban.

I think you mean sweden.

The area now occupied by the suomi is, and always has been, norse clay. Muscovites need to go back to fucking their horses in between taking cuman dick.

Why even do that? Just issue better ammunition, these guys aren't gonna be using silencers.

There would be literally no point. The only reason for the gun is the round. Nothing about it works with a different cartridge.

9mm Luger has a subtle taper, it wouldn't stack properly in the magazine.

>What should they get?

Attached: mcx-rattler-sbr-left-face-840x420.jpg (840x420, 25K)

It would also greatly reduced the mag capacity in the same space, thus negating the whole reason for that stupid magazine in the first place.

>Stopping power is a myth
>.458 exists for no reason
Someone's never shot at drugged up skinnies or cartel hombres

With a straightwalled 9mm, you'd have maybe 38 rounds though.

Pretty much all, actual scientific evidence says that stopping power is a myth. 458 is a meme round that no one uses. It LITERALLY exists for no reason.

.458 Socom is a hunting cartridge, I don't care what the name is.

>It LITERALLY exists for no reason.
Nah, it can make for some groovy hunting rifles.

Why would you design an entirely new, proprietary cartridge, that probably wouldn't extract for shit, to make the P90 a worse gun?

What does it do that .223, or .308 doesn't do? The only think I could think of is hunting hogs in dense brush.

Not gonna happen. We won't see a change from the Stoner design unless it's accompanied by a change in cartridge as well. Even then there's a good change it will be pretty derivative.

Mark 18 would be a better choice since it doesn't complicate logistics.

I agree. But if they were dead set on using .300 Blackout it would be better to do an upper receiver solicitation than to adopt a new weapon without full small parts compatibility.

Attached: IMG_1784.jpg (439x1024, 84K)

Heavy bullet with decent velocity, think .45-70 (not quite as fast though) except bolt-action rifles exist in it, also AR15s.

For people who want to invest that money for them, they can be pretty phenomenal performers for like hog and bear.

Alright. Bear makes sense too. .223 seems to do a pretty great job on hogs by itself, but it has trouble with brush, thus my original statement.