Straight vs tapered cartridge?

Do you take a reliability hit when using a straighter walled (vs tapered) cartridge in an automatic weapon? I've heard that this is why 556 and shotgun AKs are generally less reliable than x39 counterparts. The idea being the taper aids in reliable extraction of the casing after firing. Is this the case? And if so is it universally true, or just a trait of Kalashnikov-pattern actions?

Attached: image.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

?

Is my question unclear?

5.56 is already slightly tapered. The Russian just take the whole tapered case = reliable meme to the extreme. It doesn't need to be as pronounced as it is on 7.62x39, 5.45x39, or 7.62x54R in order to get the full benefit.

They're both tapered.
They're both tapered, what's your point?

So you're saying there's a point of diminishing returns in terms of reliability? I figured the only real tradeoff was storage/magazine shape.

7.62X39 is *significantly* more tapered than 5.56. Don't be autistic, this is quite literally a matter of degrees.

Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns at which you're losing out more on case capacity than you are gaining in positive extraction.

Would you say then that the Russians have passed it?

>asks if straight walled vs tapered has difference
>lists all tapered cases as example
>gets called on being tarded for using tapered in straight/tapered comparison
>gets upset and screeches autism

Bet you're a joy out of the basement when you're not flinging your poo socks around.

>Is this the case?
No.The reason for the taper is ease of manufacture.It has nothing to do with the extraction process.

I used the word "straighter" in the OP. I know 5.56 isn't *truly* straight-walled. My question is, again, one of degrees. I know your autism makes it hard for you to comprehend nuance, but please bear with me.

Attached: image.jpg (196x293, 19K)

>The idea being the taper aids in reliable extraction of the casing after firing. Is this the case? And if so is it universally true, or just a trait of Kalashnikov-pattern actions?
It goes for every firearm. The tapered case makes for easier extraction, especially when dirty or under high temps. This is why all the classic British hunting cartridges had a noticeable taper.

I wouldn't say you take a hit in reliability by going with less taper, but you eliminate a variable in the reliability equation by adding more taper. Meaning that the number of failures that can be cured by introducing more taper is much less than the failure rate of the rest of the system (magazine issues, feeding issue in the action, other failures due to the action, even failures cause by manufacturing defects in the individual cartridges rather than the overall design of it). The use of steel cases means you might get more failures in a case with less taper (Tulammo 5.56), but comparing steel with more taper and brass with less; it's a wash.

Thanks for the thought out post. Are you attributing the higher failure rate of steel-cased 556 to the general low quality of steel cased ammo, or some trait of the materia itselfl?

>in an automatic weapon?
Hide your dogs.

All cartridges have a slight taper to make extraction easier.

This is absolutely correct and is the only reason the short and fat little Russian 30 is so reliable. It also has shit ballistics.

It's low quality yeah. Most of the failures are from lightloaded rounds short stroking in ARs. But I've heard of Tulammo sticking in chambers. That's all the fault of steel cases.

this is the worst fucking bait i've seen in a long while. it truly is summer.

Really? This is the worst? How long have you been here?

>when a newfag tries to call someone a summerfag because it's a recent meme he saw and fails miserably, the post

Holy shit, this is the dumbest post on the entire board.

I sometimes think I'm an useless piece of shit, but right now I thank the lord I have no fucking clue what a "poo sock" is supposed to be.
god I'm way further away from rock bottom that I thought.

76239 ejects more reliably
its proven. its not a meme.

A sock.
That you poo in.