How to shoot well?

>be me
>acquire Garand
>go to shoot yesterday
>can't hit shit at 100 yds
>kind of hit shit at 50 yds
I was shooting at paper plate sized targets and missed more than I made. The bore is in really good condition with low throat erosion and muzzle wear so I know its me and not the gun. I think it needs to be zeroed but idek how to do that.

Attached: IMG_2862.jpg (3264x2448, 2.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

becomingriflemen.wordpress.com/
ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch
thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/
youtube.com/watch?v=aYG-PrLrivc
myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id23.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>get .22 for cheap practice, cos you'll burn through a lot of ammo
>read this: becomingriflemen.wordpress.com/

also, here are some fundamentals:
>squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it
>focus on front sight post
>breathing pattern

thanks, i'll look into it

any respirces for zeroing the rifle?

>respirces
*resources

All I have to say is that I wish a Garand was my first rifle, if it is yours.

Also, this will sound like a demotion, but look at getting a quality air gun from the CMP. I was an awful shot with my first rifle, a Remshit 270, but a range officer helped me buy a Daisy M887 through the CMP, and I took classes in three-position air rifle marksmanship. The improvement I saw was dramatic and gave me a lifelong love for shooting.

>ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch
>thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

Attached: dixie02a.jpg (581x360, 52K)

onions boy solution. man the fuck up and get gud faggot...
theabsolutestateof/k/.jpg

Attached: 1209162_10151672302343295_1802649128_n.jpg (537x720, 96K)

S O Y B O Y
O
Y
B
O
Y

listen up faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=aYG-PrLrivc

there is so much material and information on this weapon its restarted. be big boy and look it up and implement it at the range. are you fucking 14?

Is probably you, but first get an experienced shooter to shoot it and make sure it's not something wrong with the gun. Just walk up and down the line at the range, find someone who's shooting tight groups, and explain your situation. They'll be like, fuck yes I'll shoot your Garand!

Shoot on paper at 25 yards and adjust your rear sight in the direction that the bullets hit. Then move to 50 and 100 to make adjustments.

If you can't make a tight group at 25 yards then work on your technique before you fuck around with your sights. There's no shame in shooting inside of 50 yards when you first start out.

Is your front sight post loose? Ive had mibe get losse before right after i got it

Don't play with the zero until you know its 100% not you.
Even if it is zeroed wrong, you will be able to hold over or to the side for the right amount, and still hit 10/10 on the plate

Hostility to new gun owners glows in the dark.

Retards who can't even perform basic research, yet are capable enough to post on this Czech llama herding forum are indefensible.

Sight alignment, motherfucker. Do you have it?

>squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it
not him, but I never understand what you guys mean by this
t. noguns

Constant force application until the gun goes off. You should be surprised when the round fires, as opposed to pulling hard on the trigger and expecting instant feedback. You alter your POI doing that because you jerk the gun.

Real talk it depends on the gun and style of shooting.

And that user's advice is only applicable to stationary slow fire.

To make it really simple, learn how to pull the trigger of your gun while moving the gun as little as possible, regardless of what kind of shooting you are doing. (Aka, jerking is fine when done right)

hm, makes sense
thanks for clarifying, anons

A common problem with new shooters is that they pull the trigger (jerk it) hard. This causes the gun to shift its point of aim. Squeezing it means that you have better control of what the gun is doing, and therefore, where your shot will end up.

Yeah, I figured starting him off with the basics for slow shooting was better. Didn't want to dive into rapid fire.

what is onions about trying to learn things?

Here's a link to a good tutorial on sighting in an M1 Garand.

myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id23.html

I dunno if this is true. You can always deliberately squeeze the trigger even when fast. Doesn't require finger ever coming off trigger.

Unless we're talking semantics and you're a league above me. I'm pretty novice and a mediocre shot, especially when trying to shoot fast.

Listen to interviews of people like rob leatham, racaza, etc., and go shoot a few local matches at least. You'll find that just about all nonsense like surprise trigger breaks, holding triggers to the rear, and strict finger placement are fuddlore. Proficient shooters from any game from prs to uspsa can tell you that they know exactly when their triggers break, how fast they can pull the trigger at what distances, and that slow squeezing is a myth.

Think about it, you're always going to have movement in your sights, why would you want to squeeze slowly (and unsurely) as to not catch the exact moment that the sights are on target.

Understood, but too many newer shooters fall into the bad habits that come with not being taught the bigger picture

/thread

whats wrong with trying to get help from people you know to be experienced and actually being able to discuss is and ask questions?
this Jow Forums elitism shit is cancer and always has been

How to shoot properly? Totally fine, we can give that advice.
How to adjust Garand sights? The only way to demonstrate that is to provide a link to a video or guide on a different site, essentially forcing an user to do the research for him. That's fucking gay.

My grandpa used to do a shooting comp with a buch of other vets that was WWII surplus only (most just brought their own service rifles they kept)
A long time ago he told me a good trick is get as comfortable as you possibly can while aiming on target, and close your eyes for a few seconds. When you open them you should still be on target

When you jerk it it pulls the gun slightly off from where you were aiming

Gently squeezing the trigger until the gun goes off is correct 99% of the time, but when doing this with a Garand, you often get a double fire. The Garand trigger needs to be pulled firmly and decisively.

how would a noob know that though?

Critical thinking. But if they insist on asking without doing basic research, then they should accept an answer of "just fucking Google it."

why the hostility? do you need a hug user-kun?