Backpacking Guns

What is the best rifle/shotgun for backpacking, hiking, camping, etc? Something light and able to take some mild abuse.

Attached: Backpacking.jpg (259x194, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Pack-Bag/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1FZQ84NQX9C8TNCP3VHT
youtu.be/jdUfsYinS-k?t=3m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I carry either a a 30-30, a ithaca 37, or my Ak along with my Markov.

overkill, probably...

Attached: IMG_20170617_164218 (1).jpg (4032x3024, 2.12M)

AK or a 30-30 lever gun
M1 carbine is acceptable unless bears

That depends on the area you're in, the animals in your area.

I've backpacked with a few different guns.

Kel-Tec Su-16
>very light
>folds
>store 10 rd mags in the stock

Ak-74, not much to say about it

PTR-91
>heavy
>will fuck up bears if needed

What's the best rig to carry a rifle for long distances that is still comfy?

2 point behind the back over the shoulder padded sling. QD recommended.

Is a double-barrel coach gun just wishful thinking or could it be a decent pack gun?

I use
amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Commander-Pack-Bag/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1FZQ84NQX9C8TNCP3VHT

My pistol is easy to get too for quick engadgements, and with practice you can grab the rifle from your back pretty quick.
You just need to rearrange your gear to counter the rifles weight.
My only problem with it is the top bar hitting my head sometimes.

I strap it to my pack or russian cradle

nugget, its not too heavy if you take a horse

I've heard this isn't actually that durable, thoughts?

Carry the baby, carry the baby, carry the baby... blam

Really like that pack you listed, along with the idea of carrying like that, just can't have a sidearm right now because only 18

>just can't have a sidearm right now because only 18
some states allow for 18 year olds to buy handgats private sales

Where is it legal to openly carry a firearm while you hike?

Depends on your state

Honestly that never occured to me, Louisiana here so it looks like good gun laws but I mostly plan on backpacking in other states as the terrain down here isn't very nice

I hiked a good portion of the Appalachian trail with it. A few suggestions replace the pins so they don't jingle, get a water proof cover or put everything in garbage bags. Also the chest strap broke after 4 years but I fixed it.
Top bar is my biggest beef with it, but that's no problem for Mr angle grinder and welder.
There are better quality packs out there but this one is good for the money.

Yeah, I'm like 99.9% sure it's not legal to do so here in Commiefornia. Some day I hope to move to America.

How tall are you that the top bar fucks with you? I'm 5'9" so I feel like I'd be ok

I think rural cali is ok, check by county

Where are the best places to hike through, state or federal parks or what?

6'1 but height doesn't really matter.
I would take pics of it but it's 230 and I'm lazy, maybe in the morning.

Federal but make sure it's a special snowflake trail.

No worries my dude, thanks for the info

.454 Casull
Light and durable, and large enough caliber to protect you from pretty much any wild animals or crazy people you may run in to.

Attached: 5517-1-large[1].jpg (363x208, 11K)

Why wouldn't you just get a scabbard with molle webbing?

A large bore revolver.
I carry a blackhawk with hot loaded 45 colt.
A 45/454/.410 would make an excellent hiking gun though.

I'm 99.9% sure you don't know what you're talking about.

Polymer 80 or 80% 1911
>no cops innawoods

Tap on the numbers to the top right side of a comment to reply

I always carry my Ruger scout. I've got other options that would probably work including an AR, but the scout ALWAYS goes. It just fits the bill perfectly. It's very light, packs a punch and I can beat it up without much concern. It'll take the abuse

When im innawoods i tote around my Glock 40 mos in 10mememeter in a cheapass holster or tucked in a bag on my side if i dont want to spook normies, less cumbersome than a rifle, higher capacity than a revolver more oomph than most other semi autos, if your looking for a woods gun strictly used for "oh fuck" moments i would suggest any .357, 10mm(if your going to shell out the dosh for actual 10mm ammo), or .44, if your in grizzly country go .44 and up

Attached: 20180621_130011.jpg (3264x2448, 3.35M)

I threw my ak and some stuff in the bag.

Attached: IMG_20180621_141753.jpg (3024x4032, 3.46M)

Attached: 357.jpg (2000x1125, 278K)

>not worrying more about truck guns

Savage combination gun.
.22 Mag over 20ga 3". Pretty reliable plus you can get them cheap as shit used.

Attached: sav11-500x270.jpg (500x270, 37K)

RDB-S if you can find one.

privyet stalker

Attached: 1505696284421.jpg (326x245, 13K)

Proud of you user. Keep on keepin on

>RDB-S
Why dude? Better off with a Su-16. Cheaper, lighter, can store mags in the stock, folds, and doesn't have sights that stick up into orbit and will snag on everything. And it's waaaaaay cheaper

It doesn't matter.

Seriously, you're just going to be walking down a trail. How do I know? Because you're asking on the internet what gun you should bring with you.

>Some day I hope to move to America.

Some day I hope we build a wall to keep you faggots out.

You know where you are right?

Hey look everyone, it's the no fun police. Some of us run into mountain lions and bears when we go backpacking and it's handy to have a rifle just in case.

Actually, I bet your're a skinwalker trying to get people to go in the woods with no protection. No spooping here m80.

I've seen the same stupid threads for so many years I just can't stand it anymore.

>Some of us run into mountain lions and bears when we go backpacking and it's handy to have a rifle just in case.

It doesn't matter what rifle you have

but this is a weapons board, what else do we talk about?

Yeah no, there's a big difference between your grandpa's sporter .243 and an FAL. Caliber, weight and designs are all big concerns when backpacking

Dongs

Some day I'm going to kill a traitor.

When I head out of British territory into the mighty Appalachian Mountains, I will bring my Kentucky Long Rifle, with five extra balls and a horn of powder. If that is not enough and I am in savage territory I will also have my 1797 flintlock pistol and a large butcher knife.

>What is the best
Fucking die, summerfag.

How do you like that pack nigger? Thinking about getting one for packing out game. Is it loud?

>Do I like?
Yes I do it's a good pack for the money
>Is it loud
Yes, it's so loud I don't even use a bear bell the pin cling makes up for it. The worst part is I got so used to it It when I switched out the pins the pack just didn't feel the same without the constant jungle so I put the old pins back on.

Fuck, I really want to do this now.

Name of the pack??

see

Where? I went with the Glock 20.
Previously, I had backpacked with a .44mag but it's a big heavy gun.
I'd already spent well over a grand getting the lightest best backpacking equipment so that I could carry 3 liters of water and all the comforts I desired in pack that was less than 50 pounds. The .44mag seemed rather contrary to all the effort and detail had put it into that endeavor and frankly brown bear's have only been spotted as far south as where I was on a couple of occasions ever that I know of.
Honestly, I think about switching the Glock 20 out for a Glock 23 with a 357sig conversion barrel. I think .357 with hardcast ammo would probably be sufficient for about anything around here but the Glock 20 is fine.

As much as I make fun of ultra lighters I wish I could be like them. Milsurp gear sucks when hiking long distances and gets even worse when wet.

But still, go fuck yourself

I'm totally confused by your post. Are you implying that a sub-50 pound pack equates to an ultra-lighter?

The best backpacker gun is my MAS sporter in 308, with an 18.5 inch barrel and the shortest buttstock you can imagine. That thing looks like a toy and has the weight of one too, but it packs a punch and gives 3 MOA accuracy with crap ammo.
Oh wait I sold it. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t regret it.

Attached: 1D487C15-98F2-4899-8F2F-FD61D6BCB7D0.jpg (800x600, 43K)

rip

Attached: Photo-Press-Release-Cougar-2012.jpg (1800x1350, 2.51M)

Ive backpacked with ARs, two no4 enfields and a Garand. The Garand was the most fun to have along but not the most comfortable to hold all day, the Enfields were light enough but fairly long so you have to watch or you'll be dragging them through the brush constantly. The ARs make the most sense, ammo is light, nothing can rust and they dont seem to give a shit about dirt or anything getting in the action.

depends on what you mean by "long distances"

For the most part, carrying a rifle in any configuration you can get to it quickly blows, but if you're only walking a mile or two that's not really long distance and you can make anything work.

if you have a pack, the best options - from fastest to slowest, and least comfy to most comfy - are:
>1 point sling, rifle in hands (two schools of thought here, either sling over shooting shoulder and under support shoulder, or the other way around. Just decide if you want your rifle to be swept to the support or the shooting side while you need both hands free, because letting it dangle in front will hit your nuts)
>2 point sling over your shoulders, rifle horizontal in front
> 2 point sling, support shoulder, muzzle down (AKA "African" carry)
>2 point sling dominant shoulder, muzzle up
>No sling, muzzle forward, supported on shooting shoulder with barrel grasped by shooting hand (AKA "Trail" carry)
>Rifle scabbard on pack (be careful to pack your weight to balance this, wherever you choose to put it)
>Rifle tied to top of pack

If you aren't carrying a backpack, instead choosing to use a butt pack or just a normal light fighting rig you can use a 2 point sling cross body, and there are three big options there - again, from fastest and least comfy to slowest and most comfy
>rifle held in low ready, sling over shooting shoulder and under support arm
>rifle carried on LONG sling, carried muzzle down across the back with sling over shooting shoulder, and under support arm (AKA "Russian" style)

youtu.be/jdUfsYinS-k?t=3m

>rifle carried across back, muzzle up, sling over shooting shoulder on just enough sling that you can pull it from the muzzle device in front of you and go to work with your support hand

Savage 11 LW Hunter. Seriously, take a look at it.

AR-15 or AK.

I almost never carry a rifle, though. I generally carry my P99 with a silencer and Buffalo Bore 147gr FMJs.

it'll go bang when you pull the trigger and with slugs it will tackle big game

It'll be heavy as fuck, tho, because 2 barrels.

AR-15.

Attached: 100_5663.jpg (2832x2128, 2.39M)

okay, bames jond

If brown bear ak if black bear ar
But honestly mag dumping 30+rounds into anything in NA should be enough.

id be surprised if he makes it past the cheeto and jizz stained carpet of his moms basement

Depends. Someday I want a 454casull lever gun and revolver combo

M14/M1A

j/k they fucking suck to carry

Thanks for your post. I didn't know about "African carry" and it helped me do some research and led me to this image. I'm posting it just in case anyone wants a visual.

Attached: Three Ways To Carry.png (1039x627, 137K)

I plan on doing a 500 mile hike in the near future and I've been trying to go as light as possible(as i can afford) on all my hiking gear. I'll be spending the entire time in black bear areas and the last week in brown bear land, so i wanted something strong and of course light. Was originally thinking a baby glock in 10mm would be a good round to weight ratio, got nervous on whether or not it could take down Griz amd decided fuck that ruger alaskin 454, turns out thats its one heavy bitch even though its much smaller and lighter then other big mag options, ended up finding a s&w 329pd, super light, round i can trust, sure it will hurt like hell to shoot but whatever better then the pain of getting ate by some bear bitch or the physical pain you would eventually feel for being dumb enough to carry something heavier.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...

Attached: 1524186744960.png (720x479, 766K)

Then log off your computer and go jump off a building you useless cum rag

thanks i had no idea Europeans were so weird

A handgun.

It does make me feel cool, I won't lie.

mfw literally all of these are retarded and wrong ways to use a sling

Attached: 1529463107754.jpg (705x606, 75K)

> Not ponying up another couple hundred for superior earblestock

Or maybe Europeans don't actually carry in that retarded way just because you saw it on a pic on Jow Forums
>t. European who have been hunting several times with different people and never seen anyone carry their rifle that way

Or maybe the portrayal of European carry in the pic above is retarded.

Attached: Bergjaeger-Rucksack.jpg (1200x585, 139K)

I have a PTR91, and it's heavy as fuck. Also have a Keltec Sub2000, but want something in between. I was looking at the SU16, since it seems to meet the criteria I need. Any cons?

Fragile, unreliable, keltec workmanship.

>for when you absolutely must sweep everyone who crosses your path

This made me kek

It's mostly plastic. Which is both a pro and a con. It's stupid lightweight, but doesn't feel durable. Granted mine hasn't cracked or anything yet, but still. I had reliability issues in the first 250 rounds, now it seems to have smoothed out but it was having FTF's and FTE's pretty frequently for awhile. Long story short it's kind of a neat gun but I wouldn't trust it for anything life-threatening. As a camping plinker/larp rifle I think it'll be fine. But honestly, unless you live in a ban state you'll probably be better served with an ar of some kind.

Attached: 0D20CF61-1DF1-41EE-AC2C-BCCEDEA60207.jpg (1080x1920, 694K)

I've never had a problem with the Su16 but I don't abuse it like I do other rifles, it's more for emergencies while backpacking

Fun fact about alaska: you can legally hunt in state parks and forests. Just have to be 100 yards from a trailhead or structure. Not the trail itself, just the start of one.
For example, I drew a mountain goat tag in the lottery system the hunt area for which falls entirely within kachemak bay state park. There's a trail that goes all the way up to where the critters are. You bet your ass I'm going to use it.

I carry a 6" .357 Magnum

6 shots for burr or durr or whatever if i somehow have to use it to kill

i also carry some tracer rounds in case i ever get lost

I like my Rossi 92 lever-action in .357 Magnum or my Norinco SKS.

Great, handy rifles for carrying around.

>overkill
No such thing

I've backpacked a few guns as well and it's not the gun it's the ammo that get's heavy.

I highly recommend not choosing a mosin+ammo just in case you were thinking about it

>top bar hitting head
That's going to be a real problem under rough terrain.

Yeah you can in certain BLM land , I do it frequently in Imperial county deserts. Of course, there's no bugged out ATF out there looking for people anyways. Border patrol have enough people to look for.

>goes outdoors with 80%ers
Something fishy about this

Move out of the basement son

This user knows what's up. Real shit happens off the trail and far away from people. Takes a good body and carelessness to dirt to get to those places.

Animals are beautiful in nature.
I want to kill it.

AR. innawoods with her right now, found a spot with signal on a hill. Lightweight ammo, accurate, lightweight gun, does the job. Get supersonic 300memeout or fucking explosive 300memeout (does anyone make that and is it legal?) if youre worried about bears or bigger game.

I camp and backpack in Tahoe national forest carrying my CZ75 in a cheap nylon holster on my hip and it's never been an issue. I have dogs too so they give me plenty of warning and time to react.

never had an issue with rangers or other people btw.

Attached: 20180529_123714.jpg (4032x1960, 2.21M)

not just county but by area. Some places even on federal land do not allow shooting.