Looking for a good 30-30 Lever Action

Anyone know of some reputable ones? I know you can find the good ol' Winchester 94's and Marlins. But are any others as good as those?

Attached: Grandpas-model-94-winchester.jpg (648x432, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tssoutfitters.com/shop/leupold-174177-vx-freedom-1-4x-20mm-obj-74-2-ft-29-4-ft-100-yds-fov-1-tube-black-matte-pig-plex/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Winchester 94
this

Winchester 66

Winchester and Marlin are the better ones.

Why not one of those pump action Savages in 30-30

Glenfield was the house brand Marlin made for JC Penny. My grandma got my grandpa one for Christmas in the 60s and it got passed down to me. The only difference I've noticed is it's got a birch stock.

Henrys are nice guns.

uberti and chiappa make some very fine repros, prob better quality than the originals

That's a thing?

Alright speaking of lever guns. Looking to get a new production Marlin 336BL. Should I look around for used ones or buy one new when the July 4th sales start hitting?
Pros for used:
I can actually look it over before I buy which is important for new production marlins
Might be cheaper
Get it sooner
Pros for new:
Will have Marlin customer service for whatever that is worth
It's new
Much easier to find since the big loop model is a bit on the rarer side
Thoughts?

Speaking of lever action, are 45-70 rifles cheaper than .357 mag rifles because they're more common?

Everything I've seen that's the way it looks, but I don't know if I'm missing something obvious. It just seems like .357 mag should be a cheaper rifle.

I've decided to get .357 to match my revolvers or 45-70 in case Jurassic Park becomes real.

>Speaking of lever action, are 45-70 rifles cheaper than .357 mag rifles because they're more common?
No, it's because there's less demand

Henry are good, but no loading gate.

>Uberti and Chiappa
Uberti I would trust to make a good rifle, Chiappa not so much.

Buy new if you have the money. Some of the Marlins made a few years ago were pretty bad quality, but from what I've heard Marlin actually turned around and started making the guns decently again. Buying anything used means you might end up with a lower quality gun.

Henry 30/30s are amazing if you can get past the shit loading

That was what I was leaning toward. Considering they are $430 new right now I am hoping for some decent 4th of July sales that maybe drop it below $400. Would let me spend some more on the scope and scope rings.

I will say that buying leverguns used can be retarded depending on where you live. Too many boomers that buy them, use them for a season, then list them for $50 over what the shop is asking after they put walmart half-rails and a Tasco scope on it. Save the headache and just buy new.

Oh, that makes sense.

The only issue I would have with marlins now is that due to being owned by freedom group their QC is in the crapper. I would give any Marlin you want to buy a good look over and a function check of some kind. Otherwise, the designs are still great.

Leupold 1.5-4x on a Marlin 336
good or bad idea?

Modern Miroku-made Winchesters are probably the best made leverguns you can get from a materials and quality control perspective, but they're expensive and have stupid lawyer shit on/in them. The Italians guns may lack the lawyer shit but probably aren't as well made, and they're also expensive. Marlins are a bit less svelte but easier to take apart, and have a much nicer aftermarket - check out the parts, accessories and smithing services Wild West Guns and especially Ranger Point Precision offer for them. If it were me I'd just get a 336.

Buy used but make sure its a JM stamped barrel
That indicates it was actually made by Marlin before the whole Remington / Freedom Group thing happened and they went to shit.
I got one used earlier this year for about $350, that seems to be the going rate for a used 336

Think they made them for Sears and Western Auto as well. Anyone remember?

I'd rather have a true 1 or 1.1 at the worst or something up to 6x.

1.5-4 seems like a pretty bad compromise unless it's stupid light.

been trying to buy a winchester 94 (pre 1964) for a while now and they're all way over priced here in the 800-$1200 range

Get a marlin 336. I just got mine for 420$ and after background check and taxes it came out to 470$. Marlin really turned itself around and the new 336s are great.

Attached: IMG_20180613_220647361.jpg (3840x2160, 3.02M)

5.2 oz lighter than a crossfire II and 7.1 oz lighter than a PA 1-4
dunno many more scopes at that price range especially ones with Leupold's guarantee

You really can't go wrong with either the Win94 or the Marlin 336. Depending on your area, you can usually find:

Pre-64 Win94s in good shape for $400-700, depending on the age and condition and jewishness of the seller

Post-64 Win94s for $300-500, depending on the shape and condition (I recently traded an AR that I put together for $300 for one and don't regret it a bit)

Marlin 336es for $300-700 depending on age and condition. Older is always better with Marlins. You can get a brand new 336W at Wally World for around tree fiddy though if you want a new one with an obnoxious crossbolt safety.

I think that Win94s are more A E S T H E T I C and I have a massive erection for anything JMB, so I like them more for that. Marlin 336es will almost universally have much smoother actions and they also load a lot easier from my experience. Marlins are a lot easier to top off, with a lot of Win94s once you start cycling rounds you're kinda stuck with what's in there.

They're both fantastic rifles for different reasons. For whatever reason, my post-64 Win94 has a super light trigger and so it's a laser. I also don't feel too bad beating it up since it's been bubba'd up a bit. .30-30 is one of my favorite rounds to shoot and you can get a decent reloading setup going for around $120 (30ish for a lee hand loader, the rest for primers, brass, bullets, and powder).

Henrys are actually really great rifles but a lot of people get hung up on how they load. I've had Henrys in a couple of different calibers and I've really enjoyed all of them. They're quality rifles and they've got the smoothest stock actions out there. I'd recommend one of those if you're willing to pony up a little more for a new gun but you don't wanna break the bank and spend over a grand on a Mirkoku Winchester.

I've got a new(ish) 336w and it's honestly not terrible. Yeah, the safety is mildly annoying and the part of the rear sight actually broke off halfway through my first box of ammo but Marlin fixed it up promptly and it has really been fine after that.

If I were to compare it to my older guns, it's clearly inferior. Worse wood, worse everything else, but for like you said, about $350 as an impulse buy it's been satisfactory.

I've also racked the action by tossing it away from the lever arm one handed a good number of times and it hasn't broken.. so that's gotta be worth something.

YMMV.

other than that sight issue, they're pretty solid guns. it'll serve you well, and those actions get really nice and smooth after you cycle them a few hundred times

I like my marlin 336C. Although, I would recommend a very meticulous inspect before buying one today.

i WISH i could find a pre 64 for $700!

Attached: paulyD.jpg (620x577, 25K)

Pre 64 tho

I handled quite a few new and used marlins before i settled on my new 1895gbl, anything made post 2015 is good to go, the deciding factor in buying new was the big loop and full length mag, because all my research and trips to various gun stores sewmed to indicate the new new marlins were just as good as the jm stamped marlins.

I put an o ring on my 1895 safety, keeps the gun original but i dont have to remember to take the rifle off safe when i thumb back the hammer.
Not being able to top off a win94 sucks but is easily fixable, just need to remove the gate and take a fine stone to the back of it. Mine had some pretty nasty burrs and sharp edges, once those were gone the cartridges in the mag would move and allow me to top up just fine.

There are two in a pawn shop here for $600. One is a .30-30 with a small chip near the tang. The other is a .32 WS with the "long wood".

Pre-64 doesn't really matter all that much. I've had several of both pre and post 64s and unless you collect or something, you'll be served just as well by a post 64 as a pre. I recommended those made in the 70s since Winchester changed the finish back to the older pre 64 style bluing.

Excellent scope.

Lowest price I have seen is $179 which isn't bad but hopefully there might be a 4th sale or something.

Don't need a loading gate when you've got a box magazine!

Attached: 687311fde1676e4a379e6175e74ad4b9.jpg (2780x1200, 320K)

>30-30

Attached: 1513528981481.jpg (938x641, 46K)

I had the westernfield Marlin made for Sears.

Where's that? Most places look like $199 to me.

>>implying the 30-30 isnt one of the most reliable rounds to ever exist.

I bought a 336gbl off grabagun and it's great, will second ur recommendation

>No Savage 99 mentioned
All answers are wrong

Henry is good to go brand new if you don't mind no loading gate

Crap I was looking at the bumg pig reticle version rather than the duplex reticle
tssoutfitters.com/shop/leupold-174177-vx-freedom-1-4x-20mm-obj-74-2-ft-29-4-ft-100-yds-fov-1-tube-black-matte-pig-plex/

*dumb

Can you slowly close your action or does it get stuck part way? I have a 336 from 1987 and I cant close the action slowly.

I'm pretty sure Browning make some fairly decent ones

this man speaks the Gospel Truth. The pre-64 is a collector's item, but if you're looking for a tool you can beat up a bit, the post-64 models will server you just as well. I've had both, and I can honestly say that my post-64 is more accurate than my pre-64 was.

...is a fucking awesome round?

...is super fun to shoot and easy to reload?

...is a timeless American classic?