Bolt versus lever for first .22 rifle?

I want to buy my first rifle, and I want a .22. I'm thinking either a lever action Henry or a bolt action Ruger. Both of them can be had for an affordable price and both of them have good reputations. Which would be the better rifle?

Attached: IMG_6127.jpg (576x376, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shortactioncustoms.com/ruger-mk-7722-tactical-bolt-knob-conversion/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A semi auto 10/22

I don't want a semi auto .22.

I prefer bolt guns.

Lever action feels cooler shooting at things like cans, squirrels, targets out in the woods with your pals.
Bolt action feels better when you're set up on a bipod or sandbag shooting at paper, trying to get the best groups.
IMO anyways.

You might get bored quick with a manual action .22. I second the semi suggestion.

get both. like you said, theyre both affordable and have good reps. and theyll share ammo and you dont have to buy any additional magazines.
if you plan on getting both, it doesnt really matter which you get first.

Honestly, you're better off with a bolt action only because those skills can carry over onto other bolt action guns of a higher caliber. Yes you can still have modest hunting applications with lever actions at 30-30 or even 45-70 but if you're interested in doing long distance shooting than a bolt action is for you.

Bolt action all day

I've only heard good things about Henry 22s, but really this is a decision that comes down to personal preference. Either one is a good choice and you have to decide which you want.

Pissing away ammo with an autoloader isn't thrilling. You can't make rimfire exciting unless you push the limits of your marksmanship and bolt is fine for that.

I'd get the bolt - I'm assuming it's the American and not the 77/22?

If so try to get the wood stocked one.

semiauto is more practical, semiauto is cheaper.
manual guns are fun or massively annoying depending on how you feel that day.
in terms of fun pump then lever then bolt.

I never owned a semi-auto .22 and even I still feel bored about them.

I actually found it the other way around.
Started on a 10/22. Currently shoot a CZ452 instead and vastly prefer it.

I think the key with a bolt-action .22 is having a slick enough action. Trying to maintain a good group while working a bolt quickly is a lot of fun.

Also I pissed off a rimfire snob by doing mad minutes next to him and his 20lb Anshutz monstrosity once. He deserved it though, he was going around suggesting that other people on the rimfire range should leave because they couldn't shoot as well as he could, even though it was a public range and people were just trying to enjoy themselves.

Good choice.

I don't know about the bolt action ruger, but if you can try a CZ 455 you should. I used an anchutz club gun back in college and the CZ bolt is nicer. Didn't get a chance to test for groups but the CZ is a hell of a lot of 22 bolt for the money.

The henry has a smooth action and if you want to dump lead down range, a lever action will go faster.

Of the two, I'd expect the bolt to be more accurate than the lever. But you should buy whichever one feels better in your hand and your shoulder. Fit matters a lot. You can fight a bad fitting gun and use it well, but a gun that fits you well is a beautiful thing.

One last thing. A lot of old guys swear by the Marlin 39D. Some issues about when it was made but for lever guns if you're looking for options, the old accuracy nuts love it.

A Savage B22 with a Dead Air Mask is about as fun as a bolt gun gets, insanely quiet with the right ammo. A Henry Golden Boy is fun for a while but you get tired of it kinda quick. A 10/22 can be anything you want it to be with shitloads of aftermarket (just got a PMACA chassis to build something up with a Charger pistol), and a S&W M&P 15-22 is about as fun as a semi 22 can get.

How would a lever action rifle fire faster rounds and less accurate rounds than a bolt action? Wouldn't it be practically identical since all the gas is pointed in the same direction?

given an equal barrel length, the velocity of the bullets will be the same. But you (the shooter) can run a lever action faster than you can run a bolt action.

Asking here instead if making a new thread.

Whats the opinion in the Marlin 795?
They can be had for less money than a 10/22 and it seems like a good backpacking gun.

Jesus, 10 lbs is heavy for a 22 rifle.

Lever action is more ergonomic except in prone position.

good rifle when marlin cq does their job. No where near the aftermarket support of a 10/22. Only matters if you can leave good enough alone. Honestly don't need to change much on a 795 other than swapping out the sights for tech sights and adding a gi silng.

forgot the accuracy part of your question.

It's not that you can't get an accurate lever action, but it will cost you more than an equally accurate bolt gun. Bolt actions are simpler with fewer moving parts so it doesn't cost as much to make a very high quality one. Same also applies to semi-autos.

While I do enjoy my gats, I'd have to say the easiest route would be bolt considering you're much more likely to find a good bolt that isn't too expensive over a lever. I have this oldish Sears 46C levermatic I got as a gift from an uncle, it's a nice little plinker and fun to shoot, but while they aren't that expensive (around $200-250 from what I could find) they aren't easy to get, double so if you don't feel like paying more money than a bolt would cost.

What everyone else said, if you are planning on getting more rifles in the future, bolt would probably be the better choice, but if it's for enjoyment rn, lever guns are one hell of a lot more fun

For bolt should I get the more affordable Ruger American or spend another $200 for a CZ 455? I want iron sights and only some CZ 455 models have iron sights and for being a cheaper rifle the Ruger has a very good reputation.

Thats all I was planning on doing. I think the large aftermarket for the 10/22 would have me spending more money upgrading things then I would get use out of.

You're not just wrong, you're also a faggot.

You could just split the difference and go with a Toggle Action, like the volquartsen (formerly PWS)

Levers suck hard in the prone, and most bolt action 22’s have quite a bit of camming action. This toggle lets you split the difference, while using readily available 10/22 parts.

Otherwise, for a bolt gun, look at a used ruger 77/22. It’s very high quality for a 22, and the action mimics a full size. To assist with overcoming camming, you can send the bolt off to Mark Gordon at short action customs and he’ll thread/install a badger bolt knob.
shortactioncustoms.com/ruger-mk-7722-tactical-bolt-knob-conversion/
I have one on mine (which is a shooter w/ most ammo but especially CCI segmented subsonics. Its a really fun gun to shoot.

Attached: B293A079-AA11-4CC9-BB28-4A741952358C.jpg (1000x700, 51K)

Not op but I would love an good toggle action 22. Seems they want 1200, which is less than an actual biathlon rifle. But half again what the Izmash ones go for on the used market.

>toggles

Attached: Long Thumbs.gif (220x220, 3.58M)

I suggest trying the bolt (and general fit) on each before you buy. Ruger fixed up a bad 10/22 I got, so I'm sure they'll stand by their product.