Why are G3s so popular When the FN FAL and SCAR-H exist?

Why are G3s so popular When the FN FAL and SCAR-H exist?

Attached: 06F3E754-8B03-4EEC-98AB-A6201B6467D2.jpg (1728x1152, 460K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XEFALN8D8t0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hey dude, can you do me a favor and compare the costs then post here.

Attached: 1515339072242.jpg (530x338, 47K)

G3 is for poor countries like Mexico

G3 is cheap, FAL is expensive. Next question.

Because the countries that still use the G3 are shitter countries who cant afford to update.
FAL users overwhelmingly could afford to adopt something else newer to replace them (every relevant commonwealth country uses 5.56s and AR10s of some sort now), so you only see them in use around Africa and spic countries.
Scar is new and expensive.

I will catch infinite shit for this but the FAL is outdated. Much like the M14 it's still a viable combat rifle that can be used if it's on hand, but there are cheaper (at least easier to manufacture with modern tech) alternatives that work better.

They are still being made, but it's part legacy support and part cheaper to make a few new ones to replace worn rifles than to replace the whole inventory.

The SCAR has the opposite problem. It's very modern, capable and well designed for modern manufacturing techniques. But it's also relatively new on the scene. FN isn't tossing licensing rights and technical packages around and unit cost is very high. It'll be a while before they meet all of the demand for 1st world clients and surplus/production overruns trickle down to smaller countries.

In the meantime the G3 has aged splendidly. It got licensed along with tooling to just about everyone decades ago, so there are a bunch of countries with experience manufacturing them. It's also very combat proven, reliable and fairly accurate. Ergonomics are poor, but that is a low priority to the nations use it. It's good enough to keep up with modern designs given some tweaks and it's cheaper than ever so it's not going anywhere any time soon.

FAL and M14 are definitely dated.
t. M14 fanboy

>I will catch infinite shit for this but the FAL is outdated.
Well yeah, the cold war battle rifles all are, but I dont think the G3 is miles ahead of that crowd in that regard. The FAL has aged far better in terms of manual of arms, since its controls are basically that of an AR.
>It got licensed along with tooling to just about everyone decades ago
This is probably the most on-point reason itt, the countries that use it are able to keep churning them out decades after HK dropped support from them.

I'm an M14 fanboy in that I own and adore my M1A, but if I ran a country and had to adopt a service rifle for it the M14 would be pretty low on the list. FAL might be above it but not by much.

The G3 family however would be near the top. Besides cost and reliability they also share parts and training with other weapon systems like the HK21 GPMG, HK33 assault rifle, MP5 series and heck a G3/SG1 is just a slightly accurized G3 with glass in the DMR role. It's possible to get tooling for a G3 and branch out to make every long gun used by said fictional country in the same factory. That saves a lot of time, money and trouble.

And yet I really don't like shooting them.

>H&K G3A3
>"Made from sheet metal stampings and plastic furniture, this ugly looking rifle delivers wounds that are equally foul."

>FN-FAL
>"The phrase, 'Help, I've FAL-len and i can't get up,' takes on a whole new meaning when this rifle is involved "

Yea, essentially what said.

>"Made from sheet metal stampings and plastic furniture, this ugly looking rifle delivers wounds that are equally foul."
>"The phrase, 'Help, I've FAL-len and i can't get up,' takes on a whole new meaning when this rifle is involved "
These are horrible. Are they from some old discovery channel documentary or somthing?

Correct me if I am wrong. Isn’t the G3 somehow cheaper than the AR-15 platform? Only platform cheaper are AKs.

en masse, yes. producing stampings in small quantities is super costly though.
>Only platform cheaper are AKs.
debatable. once setup is paid for I doubt there would be much per-unit difference

Well, it's mostly stamped sheet metal and AR's have forged and milled receivers. You do the math

Nah, some old as fuck game i used to play. Was kinda Jow Forums related, got me into the topic.

Attached: ja2 2012-02-25 14-53-39-09a.jpg (600x450, 70K)

I can see that.
I'm happier with an M14gery in my hands than a PTR. I'm happier with a FAL too.

But there's a lot that goes into what country decides to use, and which rifle feels better in the hands or is slick to run is pretty low on that list. Most soldiers aren't tier 1 operators and those that are can work around HK shortcomings without too much fuss.

The FAL and M14 suffer from having their bolts lock to their receivers, so the receivers in turn are chunky and expensive to mill because they are load bearing.
This is why AR-15, 10 and 18 based designs are catching on so much. Bolt locks to barrel extension, receiver is no longer load bearing. It can be a softer, cheaper and lighter material and accuracy will be better too.

A G3 kind of kludges this with a trunnion and roller locking, but it works and it's still cheap.

Furthermore when it comes to updating the systems the M14 and FAL struggle. M14s can get a chassis system but it's heavy and expensive. Mounting scopes is also a pain. It's been done with the EBR but the standalone M110 does it better.
The FAL uses a tipping bolt system that's not very conducive to accuracy, so pushing it into a DMR role is inefficient.
A G3? Claw mount, cheek riser, floated railed handguard, maybe a less shitty trigger, job done.

And being adaptable to DMR roles is crucial because that's basically what battle rifles do these days. For street sweeping assault rifles pretty much took over.

Yes but AR receivers are aluminum.
It's milled but soft, easy to cut. That means you don't have to use very expensive milling equipment and it lasts longer before wearing out.

Milling a receiver out of a block of forged steel is a much mose expensive endeavor. Also since it's load bearing the consequences of failure are catastrophic.

Aluminum is more expensive than steel and there's the added cost off forging. G3 receivers are stamped and welded

> Aluminum is more expensive than steel.
As in materials cost or overall cost?
I suppose it depends what country is doing the manufacturing. Aluminum is dirt cheap here because most of the cost is labor. The machine and worker time accounts for the vast majority of manufacturing anything in a western country because wages are pretty high. If it's a country with cheap labor forged/machined steel might be close enough in cost to not matter.

G3s are dirt cheap in any case because lol folded steel with welds.

Not same user, but Aluminum is more expensive to produce from a raw element. Pure Aluminum is produced via electrolysis process of a compound metal containing Al atoms. Electrolysis is significantly more expensive than simply smelting the ore and naturally separating it by melting points as in Iron mining. This drives the price of pure Aluminum up a lot. The same process is used in Copper mining in Arizona (a state that produces more copper than entire nations, and 60% of the US's domestic Cu production). You take a low grade ore, leach it, use electrolysis, smelt it into large ingots, then it's ready for the industry. And the process for extracting Aluminum is just as expensive as it is for Copper, and Titanium is even more expensive to produce.

Attached: GLOBE_ARIZONA_REFINING_IMPURE_COPPER_THROUGH_ELECTROLYSIS_AT_INSPIRATION_CONSOLIDATED_COPPER_COMPANY (3000x2027, 804K)

G3 are conscript proof, FAL is for nations that import niggers
t.used a swedish made G3 during conscription

B/c the FAL came before the G3 and originally the Germans wanted FALs but Belgium wouldn't give the Huns a production license, unlike the Austrians and Australians.

The SCAR-H was the product of SOCOM- in particular NAVSPECWAR's insistence on a platform that would replace the M14.

There are a fuckton of FALs and G3s still fucking around- prolly more G3s b/c the Germans were more liberal in setting up rifle plants for foreigners- if only to cockblock FN.

is a PTR 91 worth the money?

>its controls are basically that of an AR
If you're coming from an AR, this is important, if you're not, it's meaningless.

Because they are cheap, reliable and have this awesome retro feeling to them
Theres also about 7 million officially produced ones, plus licenses
youtube.com/watch?v=XEFALN8D8t0

SCAR is to expensive and FAL is inferior to superior Mauser technology

Yes

Fuck yeah AK4

As a conscript I used the AK5
As a Home Guard soldier I used the AK4

To be honest I think the AK4 is a better rifle

Nah man the G3 will always be my rifle

If you say FAL as a word and not F A L you are wrong.

nice

I remember early last year when PTR's were starting off at $700 and C308's (not completely a G3, but similar enough) were going for around $420. Even nowadays you can get them at $900 and $600, respectively.

I say FAL as a word
Same with AUG and any other acronym that can be pronounced as a word.

both rifles are good, no bulli. I'd liken the g3 to a striker fired handgun and the FAL to a good DA/SA gun. Theyre both pistols but they fill a different niche for users. Same with the two BRs, the g3 is low maintenance, cheap, and easy to use but clunky, the FAL needs love and care, is a bit expensive and requires training, but she has good features and excellent ergos. I honestly wish I could make my AR have FAL controls, I think I might invest in a side charging upper.

Yeah you're post is shit. Comparing the m14 to the FAL. That's the first problem with your opinion. I didn't read any farther because it's obvious you haven't read the adoption trials us the army.

Because it's better.

>adoption trials were very obviously corrupt
>therefore rifle must be shit
The M1 got carried all over the globe and was just fine. The M14 would have done fine as well, it just wouldn't have been the best option.
>inb4 production problems
Cleared up as soon as they admitted they lied about being able to use M1 tooling. Just because the boomer memes about the M14 are ridiculous doesn't mean you have to believe AR fanboy memes instead.

Yeah a I call em like they like be. L1A1, stg58, g1 etc. FALO Suck my nuts you pretentious fagot. Clips and magazines are the line in the sand. If I said F,A,L instead of just fal, my blue collar friends would think I was someone like you. Also fal comes up in conversation so frequently, I'd hate waste my precious time sounding and being pretentious.

Attached: 1529599427903.jpg (650x793, 38K)

>The M1 got carried all over the globe and was just fine. The M14 would have done fine as well, it just wouldn't have been the best option.
Yeah. It got lugged around for sure. And yes there are way better options than the m14.
I don't know where the ar 15 argument came from. I guess you're right though. The ar10 stomps all over the m14. It should have won out overall.

Back to the thread though you little troll.

AR guys will generally be the first ones to fling every negative meme they hear about the M14 at anyone who suggests it might not be the great Satan.
>troll
Yeah, yeah fuck you too. Anyway the G3 is cheap, available, in a a NATO caliber, and mostly retard proof.

All comes down to what situation you are in. Has used them both for years and its like comparing apples to oranges. The AK5 is probably a bit more versitile.

Just booted up this game for the first time yesterday, the devs really had a weird sense of humour circa early 2000s

Steel is more than 5 times the cost of steel, but on the scale of a hand held rifle you're looking at a difference of likely Less than $30, obviously it's tooling, licencing and labour that make the difference.

Aluminum is more* time for bed.

>"I pronounce it as a word so I dont sound educated around my drooler friends"
Haha at least you're honest.