Wanna buy pic related from cold steel. quite cheap and is a very good sword from what i read...

wanna buy pic related from cold steel. quite cheap and is a very good sword from what i read. my only worry is that it's an edgy reddit "tips fedora" sword. is it though?

Attached: 0000638-cold-steel-tactical-katana-machete.jpg (1280x854, 512K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f_oTUVtUqcM
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3037356/Hacked-pieces-Samurai-sword-burglars-got-unpleasant-surprise-victim-fought-back.html
thearma.org/pdf/ColdSteel.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes it is. And if it isn't, it looks like it is. And that means everyone you show the sword to will think less of you.

I tip my fedora to thee, sir.

Attached: DB618320-69EE-4F20-803E-BEF8DA8A0A05.jpg (500x375, 63K)

The only acceptable swords are the swords you are gifted to commemorate you, not purchased.

what would people think who don't know neither reddit nor the fedora meme?

>basement weeb incel

Don't forget to by a IIIA ballistic shield to go with it user.

nah dont exaggerate
this isnt realistic. and a sword would be pretty much the best weapon i could get and i would want one that is both functional and affordable. you know what, i think i'll buy this one and not care about what people would think about this. i think i'm save when even i had to google "incel".

Why not get something more practical instead of some edgy black cold steel katana?

Kinda seems retarded of you OP

any suggestion? preferably something that doesn't cost more than 100 euro and doesnt need regular oiling?

find a sabre
a cheap sword will only break, if you cant afford a decent one then just get a good machete

Any machete or maybe a kukri or some kind of short sword

>very good sword from what i read
for what? being black and sitting on your desk?

Attached: cold steel sensei.png (1920x1080, 977K)

That's not a sword. That's a machete shaped like a sword.

>very good sword
there's no such thing, since they're all equally useless.

I mean, it is, but who cares? Buy what you want much dude and tell anybody who calls you a fag to blow you.

Cold steel shovel. Sharpen edges.

nothing because no one is ever going to see it.

It's a thing to cleave meat with.

Although is recommend something like a gladius for tight spaces.

Anyone remember the gore article about the old man who defended his house with a cheap wall hanger? Butchered 4 young dindus

This whole 'mall ninja' or fedora shit is a farce anyways. The main reason for these people being ridiculed isn't the sword or whatever weapon. It's how they act and especially how they look like. We all know this fat guy slashing bottles. Everybody laughs at him because lol fat basement dweller. Make the same video with an athletic and normal-looking man and the reactions will be entirely different. So yeah. The man makes the fedora, not the weapon.

That's not a sword it's a machete. I know that may seem like an autistic distinction but it's an important one. That blade is ~3mm throughout and will be relatively soft, neither of which are necessarily bad things but it means that it won't be able to stab worth a damn because 24" of 3mm thick steel made to be relatively soft results in a blade that flexes easily, I once had a 3mm thick 24" machete that would bend slightly under its own weight when held horizontally. The other side of that coin is increased durability and nice bite which is desirable in a blade made for slashing. All in all it's probably a fine starter weapon, IMO it's generally a good idea to start with something inexpensive because that's what you'll be practicing your sharpening on.

Attached: Condor makara.png (615x602, 124K)

That picture is so mid-october that it hurts my soul.

Beutiful world fellas

Buy a fucking machete or a kuhkri then if you want something discrete. If your dead set on a sword at least buy something historical that doesn't make you look like an edgelord.

Anything other the the shitty meme stick known as a katana. It is literally one of the worst swords you can get.
Get yourself an Arming sword and make a shield, or get an Tuc or Longsword and learn how to use it. Learning the basics is not hard and you soon get good.

If you still want to go cheap then either make your own or get a machete.

FYI a Longsword will do everything the Katana does as well as it does them, and it will also do more.

This is a good suggestion. A decent E-Tool will serve you far better than any sword unless you are willing to get properly trained.

>2018
>unironically asking if a sword is fedora-tippish
>any sword
Bruh....

>any sword
i mean cheap mall ninja garbage combined with cringe behavior sure, but there is absolutely nothing "fedora-tippish" about collecting historic bladed weapons.

is a legit WW2 brinkback officer's katana "fedora"? or 300yo+ swiss pike? what about my 1800s sword bayonets, are they "fedora"?

yes

If you're in YURP, check out battlemerchant. The 100 Euro might be a problem, but you can find a Pompeii gladius for under 100.

>not buying something you want because of what the internet might think.

Who honestly gives a fuck? If you like it and want it then buy it. Fuck other people's opinions user, live your own life.

Attached: 27356002_1814917015216623_7699417307281397795_o.jpg (1024x768, 42K)

The only acceptable swords are genuine antiques. Anything repro is retarded.

Attached: 1510828876628.jpg (249x250, 7K)

If you want a authentic ninjee sword, this here sword is actually not the right dimensions. its a stable bladed weapon, but the geometry and wielding is wrong. go with a hanwei if you want something more authentic for cutting

Get a machete OP. A sword is something you have to learn to use. All these refugees use machetes so you know the learning curve isn't really there.
>pic related an american in freedom land

Attached: 1529634008300.jpg (562x795, 47K)

A picture, in that situation? Looks staged to me user.

OP, like a dozen other anons have said, just get a machete. They're decent in a fight if you happen to need one and they're also useful around the yard.

good luck actually using your 800 year old sword.

Oh, wait - you don't have one, because only antiques that pop up for sale are 18th and 19th century sabers and whatnot.

And do explain, how exactly an antique sword is better than a modern-made sword of the exact same dimensions, but made from high quality steel.

>Using a sword
>Not appreciating historical significance of an antique sword over a modern repro

Please leave.

Attached: 1520574079802.png (657x539, 110K)

>A decent E-Tool will serve you far better than any sword unless you are willing to get properly trained.
Because the most important thing for any noob to do is throw away any chance at a reach advantage and use a weapon that's not good at stabbing. Ironic that you don't seem to prefer the katana over the longsword with that attitude.

Attached: simon-rolls-eyes.jpg (300x300, 13K)

>being this butthurt over spending money on a non-functional wallhanger because of historical significance of a service saber, that was purchased by some teadrinker and never even sharpened while he was posted in the middle of bumfuck nowhere herding negroes

wew, lad.

Just ask yourself this. If you had to use that sword, would you prefer your "historically significant", 200 year old antique, or a properly tempered, 100% faithful modern one?

Also - know where I can buy an AUTHENTIC mainz gladius, that will not break if I try to use it for test cutting?

Cold Steel makes decent products. The steel will at least be strong and the sword probably won't break when you chop shit with it. The simple polymer handle is going to be almost indestructible.

It's cringy as fuck, but it will probably work as advertised.

>If you had to use that sword
I'd use a gun, or, failing that, a kitchen knife, because it's a lot more dangerous indoors that a retarded sword.

Nice strawman on the service saber thing though.

Good luck slaying water bottles though, you goddamn autist.

Attached: 1472695361227.jpg (733x679, 225K)

Cold Steel makes a gladius. They make everything.

Attached: 97gmsz_8.jpg (960x960, 71K)

>wanting to use an antique for fighting
>wanting to be such a mall ninja that you believe "its better because its old"
>Use antique sword/ piece of history
>It breaks and you just broke a piece of history
It just needs to be a piece of metal to cut undesirables user. Quit being an autist.

Attached: 1529560474465.jpg (540x289, 50K)

nice strawman yourself.

Still doesn't get around the fact that a modern reproduction is fully functional, while 99% of your precious antiques no longer are.
And to me, that goes totally against what a sword is supposed to be.

For all intents and purposes, that genuine confederate cavalry saber is about as functional as a $30 stainless steel decorative wallhanger.

I meant an authentic, 1st century AD (as in, almost 2000 years old).
Oh, right - they're all in museums...

i'll give him one thing though - authentic, historical pieces always have the correct balance (quality notwithstanding), while with reproductions, it's hit or miss.

And once you get into reenactment, and "practical" weapons (meaning blunt blades, made with full-contact sparring in mind), it's a whole new can of worms, but that's a different topic.

>Anyone remember the gore article about the old man who defended his house with a cheap wall hanger? Butchered 4 young dindus

I desire to read this article very much.

Attached: excited_duckling.jpg (1440x810, 144K)

pic related is great, I had to do some heavy sharpening work out of the box but its great steel. you won't be stabbing anyone with it's large tip so shouldn't have much trouble buying one in youro land

Attached: 97kmsz.jpg (960x960, 84K)

>>wanting to use an antique for fighting
Except I wouldn't

>>wanting to be such a mall ninja that you believe "its better because its old"
Except it doesn't need to be better, because I'm not gonna use it, or any other sword, because that's retarded.

I don't think you really understand what mall ninja means either.

>>Use antique sword/ piece of history
>>It breaks and you just broke a piece of history
Except I wouldn't use an antique sword

>>It just needs to be a piece of metal to cut undesirables user.
>implying you'll ever need to cut another person
>implying you'll need a sword to do that
>implying a sword is better than a knife

I think I found a video of you.
youtube.com/watch?v=f_oTUVtUqcM

>nice strawman yourself
Literally where

>while 99% of your precious antiques no longer are.
>And to me, that goes totally against what a sword is supposed to be.
There isn't a single situation where a sword is going to be more convenient, concealable, or dangerous than either a knife or a pistol.

>For all intents and purposes, that genuine confederate cavalry saber is about as functional as a $30 stainless steel decorative wallhanger.
It doesn't need to be functional, I've got plenty of other functional weapons that I could use that are going to be better than any modern sword.

Attached: 1502957648894.gif (400x358, 754K)

forgot to mention its a cold steel kukri machete

Just get a machete bruh, I got this a few months back and lovin it, nice weight and has some bite.

Attached: A17-RR707.jpg (1865x1865, 1.28M)

Not him, but:

>a kitchen knife, because it's a lot more dangerous indoors that a retarded sword
That depends entirely on the sword. Something like a gladius would generally be better than a kitchen knife even indoors. A particularly long sword would likely be less so, especially if its design is cut centric and walls become an issue, but swords even up to the ~2' range usually seem suitable for indoor use.

Not taking any side in this, just saw a statement that my autism compelled me to address.

That's not a gladius that's a gladius shaped machete. Still nice though, I've been thinking about getting one and some samples of chainmail and putting together a stand to see if that point will stand up to penetrating mail and maybe going through a few moving blankets. Condor makes pic related and it's probably OK but I've been waiting for more reviews before I pull the trigger. An Albion or Busse gladius would be ideal but I ain't got that kind of money.

Attached: Condor Mainz gladius.jpg (1000x598, 41K)

If OP lives in Europastan then I think the probability would be greater.
> Implying you would reach for a knife instead of a machete when muhamud and somali joe break into your house
> What is reach?
You'd probably be a tard and grab a parring knife from the kitchen and slice your hand open when you stab undesirables.
also
>implying you will ever need to use a weapon to combat undesirables.
>implying you will ever combat undesirables
You know where you're posting right?

Attached: 1523896477528.jpg (577x1024, 156K)

>>nice strawman yourself
>Literally where

right where you jump to guns. I'm not going to argue that in Anno Domini 2018, a gun is a better weapon than a sword - that's a given.

But that's not the point. The point is, that there is no functional difference between a modern repro, and an antique WHEN IT WAS NEW.

At the end of the day, we're talking about a weapon that was made to perform a certain function, and two weapons - one of which is no longer able to perform that function because of age.

As a collector, you might appreciate the fact that a particular piece was issued to a particular person - there's a reason P.G.T. Beauregard's perconal LeMat sold for over 200K, even though a modern production from Pietta is much less likely to blow up in your face when you try to actually fire it.
And that's the long and short of it, really. My 1851 Navy is a modern repro, made by Uberti, not an original 1850s production by Colt, but I can take it to the range, and shoot it just fine.

buy a knife or a machete/shortsword

swords, especially katanas are in practical terms really not optimal unless you're looking to get into Kendo or HEMA

Attached: 1529289652562.jpg (640x629, 46K)

If you want a good sword for beginners katanas aren't that bad as they are forgiving for learning how to cut. However, that is an ugly and edgy ass katana.
If you want to learn how to use a sword, I think your local HEMA group would bully you if you brought this in.
If you don't want to learn how to use a sword, then be my guest (European swords are better tho).

>Something like a gladius would generally be better than a kitchen knife even indoors
Stabbing is a whole lot more effective than slashing when you're in a self defense situation because it's quick, and hard to block or dodge. The thing about knives is you can stab someone a whole lot more times with them than a sword because it'll enter and exit flesh more easily, because it's smaller, so requires less force to push in. This is compounded by the fact that a wide blade on something like a gladius is a lot more likely to catch on bone and connective tissue than a knife.

Well for starters I'd reach for one of my guns before either of them, but I'm not buying a machete for home defense.

>>implying you will ever need to use a weapon to combat undesirables.
>>implying you will ever combat undesirables
That was part of the general gist of my reply. I honestly doubt anyone on this board has ever had a home invasion.

>right where you jump to guns. I'm not going to argue that in Anno Domini 2018, a gun is a better weapon than a sword - that's a given.'

I moved the goalposts with the guns, but the argument still remains because I said kitchen knives are better. No strawman there.

>At the end of the day, we're talking about a weapon that was made to perform a certain function, and two weapons - one of which is no longer able to perform that function because of age.
But neither of them need to perform a function, because there's no situation where you need to use either.

>but I can take it to the range, and shoot it just fine.
I don't have a problem with your repro rifle, shoot it all you want.

Just search for "argentina katana". Here's one article in english. One guy in his late 40s with a wallhanger against several burglars with guns...

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3037356/Hacked-pieces-Samurai-sword-burglars-got-unpleasant-surprise-victim-fought-back.html

People uses machete because they are serviceable and most importantly, cheap and easy to find.
Using a sword isn't particularly complicated, but learning how to fight efficiently is a thing altogether. Some south east asian martial arts go crazy complicated with machete.

looks like you're being intentionally obtuse.

I was comparing the FUNCTION of a modern repro, with the FUNCTION of an antique sword.

When the antique was brand new, 100, 600, or 2000 years ago it functioned in a certain way, but no longer does, because the blade has degraded over time (due to corrosion, and other factors).

A modern reproduction functions as well as the antique did in its heyday, and comparatively, that's all that matters.

The likelyhood of having to use something like a sword in a combat situation, and the possible availability of more effective tools, given the state of modern arms technology, is as irrelevant, as the collector's value you ascribe to the antique.

It's like comparing the Mona Lisa, with a perfect copy of Mona Lisa. One is more valuable, because reasons, but at the end of the day, it's the same damn picture.

And if you have no problem with my repro rifle, why do you have a problem with my repro sword? There's just no logical argument there. I didn't buy it for the collector's value - I bought it to use it - in training (blunt), and for demonstrations (sharp) - I couldn't use an antique for that (not to mention that the chances of finding a type H sword that isn't rusted to hell, AND for sale at the same time, are not looking good).

reliks is a website with fighting swords it is where im buying mine from

>Stabbing is a whole lot more effective than slashing when you're in a self defense situation because it's quick, and hard to block or dodge.
I know, the implication there was that you would stab with the gladius as was done historically. Sure the Romans hacked people to bits with it too but the gladius was primarily a thrusting weapon.

>The thing about knives is you can stab someone a whole lot more times with them than a sword
>This is compounded by the fact that a wide blade on something like a gladius is a lot more likely to catch on bone and connective tissue than a knife.
We're entering mallninja territory now. You ain't Bruce Lee and while surface area will play a role in how much friction a blade experiences while it's being withdrawn this clearly doesn't appreciably affect the use of the weapon. If someone's on top of you then yeah I'd go for a knife but for pretty much anything else a larger blade will be superior.

Attached: Albion gladii.jpg (432x298, 40K)

Fucking sweet, I want to buy this guy a beer.
Thanks user, you just made my day with that article.

Attached: evans_laugh.jpg (960x540, 56K)

My entire argument is that the function doesn't matter because I'm not going to use a sword, ever. There's literally no need to use it so why should function matter? Therefore, with function being moot, the historical significance of a sword is much more important than its ability to hurt someone.

>And if you have no problem with my repro rifle, why do you have a problem with my repro sword? There's just no logical argument there.
Because shooting is fun and the mechanisms of old guns are interesting to see in action, as well as the living history part of it. Sure, if you're part of some sort of historical sword fighting group then go for your life with a modern reproduction of an older sword, I do have a problem with modern, tacticool, sharp swords, even if they are staying true to some original design, then their only function is to slice up water bottles. Something like is pants on head retarded.

>I know, the implication there was that you would stab with the gladius as was done historically.
Which is why I didn't focus on it as a slashing weapon.

>You ain't Bruce Lee and while surface area will play a role in how much friction a blade experiences while it's being withdrawn this clearly doesn't appreciably affect the use of the weapon.
I'm a chef by trade, there's a reason boning knives are a thing. I've broken down a dozen pigs and I'm intimately aware of just how tough animals (and by extension) humans insides are. There's a lot of shit you can't even get through with a knife, even when it's cooked. I'm not about to try and stab something with any sort of sword because they're not only wider (edge to edge) they're also a fair bit thicker (flat to flat). So getting it stuck or not going through in the first place *is* going to be a problem.

Even if I had both I'm not about to go carrying around a sword in public in case I get mugged.

Shits good senpai, stood up to years of brush clearing on fence lines on the farm. Does need sharpening though

Attached: 7B5AAF9F-D569-485D-B3BF-6CC94C2E15C5.jpg (2048x1530, 709K)

>I didn't focus on it as a slashing weapon.
Then what were you talking about slashing with? You specifically greentexted the sentence about the gladius.

>there's a reason boning knives are a thing
And boning knives are similar in profile to several of the knives in this pic, yes? However I doubt that you've ever handled a boning knife as thick as these. It's cool that you're a chef and all (seriously, props if you can actually claim that title and aren't just lying on the internet) but this ain't /ck/ and kitchen knives while capable of inflicting a decent stab wound are not optimal for delivering a stab. Take a look at the majority of knives that Matt Easton ever pulls up in his videos and you'll see that they're generally much thicker than most knives that you're used to even if they're not meant for stabbing. The earliest Bowie knives were basically just kitchen knives (mostly what you'd recognize as chef's knives and butcher's knives) but thicker.

>I'm not about to try and stab something with any sort of sword
Well frankly that's dumb.

Attached: Khyber_knife,_karud,_choora_and_pesh_kabz.jpg (800x382, 98K)

Cold Steel makes a cutlass machete, and that may be a better option for you.

Speaking of Cold Steel, Hutton's book by the same name is a good start to learn how to use a cutlass or saber (English style):

thearma.org/pdf/ColdSteel.pdf

He also instructs on how to strike with the knuckle-guard if someone gets too close. Obviously a book isn't a complete study, but at least it will point you in the right direction.

I can't help with a cheap Mainz gladius, but Windlass makes a tough and reasonably accurate Pompeii at a good price.

Attached: cs97drms.jpg (750x518, 98K)

And my argument is that historical significance is irrelevant. Tell me again, which PHYSICAL PART of the sword is "history". You are talking about something completely abstract, while function is an integral part of what a sword is.

If you bought a wallhanger just to look at it and appreciate it's history, you might have aswell just printed out a picture to hang on your wall.

Plus, you still haven't told me where I can get an authentic 1st century mainz gladius in mint condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

that's a machete mate.

Cold Steel makes some nice knives, and even some nice swords.

But that thing is just a hunk of flat metal with an edge on it shaped like a ninjato for the sake of fedora tipping meme lords.

Buy a real sword, or better yet buy a kukri, hatchet or something else you might actually use.

And to all the anons telling me where to get a gladius...

Thanks, but i know where to get a reprodction, be it mainz, fullham, or pompeii. I was just trying to make a point about buying an ORIGINAL, 2000 year old gladius (or even a 1100 year old frankish, or anglo-saxon sword) to the user who claims that you should only buy original swords.

>Buy a real sword
I think at his price point (100 euros mentioned upthread) he could get something that looks much more katana-like, but would handle roughly the same as the machete, if not worse.

That raises an interesting point to me. I've seen a lot of Victorian reproductions of earlier swords. They were made by competent swordsmiths of the day, and many are well-constructed. What would they be considered? That was back when a sword was a useful implement of war (if rapidly losing utility), so the swordsmiths weren't just making hobby items.

I'd say it depends on what they made for. If it was with the intention of creating a functional weapon, or something that could pretend to be an antique.

There were a number made that were meant to be wallhangers, but I'll focus on the ones that were meant as functional weapons. I know that in London there were several salles dedicated to learning Renaissance fighting styles and swords were made to suit them. They wouldn't be used in war, however- that was when the officers would break out their higher-end P1853s and customized sabers of other models.

How many pig carcasses will that go through?

This thread is a dumpster fire full of people pretending to know anything about anything.
How do people spew shit like "fucking casuals don't own an authentic sword folded over 1000 times I bet they don't even train regularly like I do git gud scrub I have mastered the way" and accuse others for being reddit fedora. Also unlike what summer kids would love to tell you, cold steel actually makes half decent knives and machetes without breaking the bank. The op pic for example is a machete purposely shaped like a sword, it's not the real deal but it's a tool you can actually(although awkardly) use and not have it break like those made in china wallhangers you find in malls.

All things considered you are praobably better off buying a regular machete or kukri if you want practical use in the same price range.

It's body cam footage.

>Thanks user, you just made my day with that article.
You're welcome, this guy certainly didn't make theirs.

owning any kind of sword will make you look like a faggot or a creep.

I unironically want a katana to hang above my monitor for the neckbeard factor.
It won't be fedora when you're in a news story for attacking burglars with a katana in your boxers.

>euro
Ask your Imam. He may have some extras on hand.

>Stabbing is a whole lot more effective than slashing when you're in a self defense situation because it's quick, and hard to block or dodge
nice memes

>If you bought a wallhanger just to look at it and appreciate it's history, you might have aswell just printed out a picture to hang on your wall.
This is objectively wrong

>And my argument is that historical significance is irrelevant.
Which is the most retarded shit I've ever heard of

>Tell me again, which PHYSICAL PART of the sword is "history".
The whole sword is "history", I really don't get what you're trying to say here.

>You are talking about something completely abstract, while function is an integral part of what a sword is.
Why does a sword need to function in this day and age? What possible purpose does a sword have?

>Plus, you still haven't told me where I can get an authentic 1st century mainz gladius in mint condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...
Just don't buy one you mongoloid.

>Then what were you talking about slashing with? You specifically greentexted the sentence about the gladius.
Yeah, and put one short sentence about slashing, not exactly *focsuing*

>And boning knives are similar in profile to several of the knives in this pic, yes?
Pretty much

>I doubt that you've ever handled a boning knife as thick as these.
Historical knives are going to be thicker than a modern one because they needed the material strength because metallurgy wasn't as good back then.

>knives while capable of inflicting a decent stab wound are not optimal for delivering a stab.
Not optimal, but definitely better than a gladius.

>nice memes
Just because it's memed don't mean it isn't true.

Next thing ya know you'll be questioning whether fire is hot because someone said you'll get burnt if you touch it on Jow Forums.

>not exactly *focsuing*
Well that's your word, not mine. I just pointed out that you greentexted the bit about the gladius and then started talking about slashing.

>Historical knives are going to be thicker than a modern one because they needed the material strength because metallurgy wasn't as good back then.
Nope, it depends entirely on the design. Ye olde kitchen knife is likely going to be thinner than the crowbar knives that are popular today despite modern steel kicking old steel's dick in the dirt. Plenty of falchions were about as thick as a Kabar at their thickest point because that's suitable for slashing whereas most estocs were so thick as to be edgeless in order to impart rigidity which is desirable in a stabbing tool. Towards that, a gladius might start out at around 8mm but will taper down to about 3mm and distal taper never stopped being important. A common criticism of modern repros is that they don't taper enough or at all and are generally too thick. In my experience when people pick up a real sword for the first time they think "this is too light to be a real sword."

>Not optimal, but definitely better than a gladius.
A tool that is pressed into service as a weapon will never be as effective as a purpose built weapon, especially not at the thing the weapon was specialized for. Even ignoring reach and putting this part of the equation in a vacuum a decently large blade like a gladius is going to be better at taking aggressors apart than just about anything that could reasonably be described as a knife, let alone a kitchen knife. Also, this doesn't just have to be about the gladius. I'm not even particularly fond of the gladius outside of its historical importance. I'm way more into things like pic related. If I tried to kill you with pic related and all you had was a kitchen knife what advantage do you think you'd have?

Attached: Lockwood XVa arming sword.jpg (1939x2993, 996K)

Holy shit, it's built like a brick. Don't do it. Either get a more traditional katana, or get something along the lines of a gladius, sabre or a rapier.

Slashing and thrusting have their own advantages and disadvantages. There's a reason the majority of swords in existence are able to do both, even if they lean more towards one than the other.

>The whole sword is "history", I really don't get what you're trying to say here

I mean, which physical part of the sword. Is it part of the blade, or the grip, or maybe the pommel?
History is an abstract value. It's not a tangible part of the sword.

You don't want a collection of weapons - you want a collection of antiques. Which is fine (some people collect stamps for heaven's sake), but don't ever pretend ghat is the only valid point of view.

Again you ask "why would a sword need to function?"
Because that's what a sword is FOR.

Get this through your thick skull: i don't want a 19th century saber, no mater how "historically significant" it is. I want a petersen thpe H, or maybe a gladius, or a longsword. Those don't really come up for sale as antiques, do they?

>>I mean, which physical part of the sword. Is it part of the blade, or the grip, or maybe the pommel?
>History is an abstract value. It's not a tangible part of the sword.
You really are missing the point of historical significance.

>You don't want a collection of weapons - you want a collection of antiques.
The terms aren't mutually exclusive.

>I want a petersen thpe H, or maybe a gladius, or a longsword. Those don't really come up for sale as antiques, do they?
You're not looking in the right place. Roman weapons are hard, but it's possible to find other stuff.

>Get this through your thick skull
No u.

I'll put it in terms simple enough for an autist like you to understand:
Take one of your authentic swords, and pick it up, holding it only by it's history. You're not allowed to touch any other part of ghe sword. And once you've done that, test it in a "live fire" excercise against a modern repro.

>The terms aren't mutually exclusive.

In your case, they are. You don't want a weapon, because of some made up bullshit. Instead of wasting moneg on it, you should have just printed out a picture to hang on your wall. Then you can admire the historical significance all you want. Me, i want a functional weapon. And never mind that i'm never going to use it in battle - i still want the sword to be able to do it. And that's something you won't get from your precious, autisthentic 19th century sabers.

>Take one of your authentic swords, and pick it up, holding it only by it's history. You're not allowed to touch any other part of ghe sword. And once you've done that, test it in a "live fire" excercise against a modern repro.
I bet you're one of those people that doesn't believe in wind or gravity because you can't see it.

>And that's something you won't get from your precious, autisthentic 19th century sabers.
You really are focusing pretty hard on the 19th century sabers aren't you? Give it a break mate.

>In your case, they are
???

>You don't want a weapon
Well just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't still technically a weapon.

>because of some made up bullshit
Easy on the sodium there champ.

>Instead of wasting moneg on it, you should have just printed out a picture to hang on your wall
Oh boy, aren't you just precious.

swords are pretty cringe unless they are decorations or as expensive as cars.

t. guy who uses a cold steel gladius as a machete

>is it though?

yes but also mall ninja

you can take the repro sword from the edgy teen but you can't take the edgy teen out of the repro sword. Historical swords made/issued before 1940 are cool. Modern repro swords are the sign of an absolute cunt.

Machete

If you can't use it, it's no longer a weapon.

So i take it that being "historically significant" makes the sword sharper, or something. I guess if someone stabs you in the gut with a repro, you'll think "thank god it's not historically significant, cause then if would be a real weapon".

You're just an autist who spends money swords with imaginary value, and gets upset because a board dedicated to weapons does not recognize your abstract criteria for evaluating a weapon's effectivenes". The literal definition of a scrub.

What about two identical jap officer swords, made in 1939, and 1942 respectively?

Hell, japs have been making the same swords continously for hundreds of years. At what point, according to youf bullshit arbitrary criteria, did ghey stop being "real"? And what's the actual difference between two pattern 1921 cav sabers, one made in 1922, and one today? It's the same damn sword. Being older does not make it better.

See Obselete on a battlefield, not useless.

>So i take it that being "historically significant" makes the sword sharper, or something.
Oh man you sure are missing the point here.

>You're just an autist who spends money swords with imaginary value
I don't own any swords, because I like guns better.

>and gets upset because a board dedicated to weapons does not recognize your abstract criteria for evaluating a weapon's effectivenes
You're the one getting upset here buttercup, I never even said historical significance makes a sword "more effective". I really don't know where you're' getting this from.

>The literal definition of a scrub.
Christ it sure smells like summer in here.

>That raises an interesting point to me. I've seen a lot of Victorian reproductions of earlier swords. They were made by competent swordsmiths of the day, and many are well-constructed. What would they be considered? That was back when a sword was a useful implement of war (if rapidly losing utility), so the swordsmiths weren't just making hobby items.
Jap term for that is shinken. I was more of a katana weeb but found that's generally the most practical term for that sort of thing.

Pro Tip: Buy a sword that is historically accurate. There are a lot of meme swords that weigh too much, do not have good weight distribution, or are too fragile. If you buy something historically accurate you will get a sword that is actually practical to use.

you're the one sperging out about "historical significance", and get triggered every time someone even dares to suggest that a sword's history doesn't make it a better sword, because "muh sword is not for use".

I ask again - which part of a SWORD'S CONSTRUCTION, is historical significance, and how does it improve the balance, toughness, sharpness, or any other paramerer of the sword?

Answer: it doesn't. Your precious "history" is an abstract value ascribed to a sword after the fact. Meanwhile, if you have two exactly identical swords, they are going to function just the same, regardless of which one has more history.

That's what I keep telling you, but apparently, you are too fucking dumb to understand.

You, and other autists like you, keep insisting that we should only buy genuine antiques to hang on the wall, and heaven forbid if we want something that is in working condition, acting like that is the only correct way to appreciate swords.

>buying a shit-steel katana

Attached: 16AE9793-F08B-499B-95D5-EA3DB692DF0E.jpg (700x534, 64K)

>All that rust

Attached: Harkinian disgust.jpg (600x600, 111K)

Why cant Jow Forums have sword/melee weapon threads without it rapidly devolving into a shitfest