C1 ariete mbt

How is this tank? Is it anywhere near as good as the abrams or leopard 2? I never hear about it since it's italian.

Attached: c1 ariete.jpg (1024x768, 122K)

I always thought it was pretty cool looking at least. I would imagine its comparable to maybe an M1A1.

Bumping for interest, not a tank i have seen discussed much

in armored warfare every time it gets a shot to the lower hull the engine catches fire. every time. it's a death trap. altho it has decent armor otherwise some unexpected things happen when you aim at it's "exposed" side turret also can work hull down.

Total death trap based on a F2P tank game that no one plays. Right.

It's not in war thunder you idiot.

Less than a quarter of them are working at any given time due to Italian budget situation. Others than that we can assume it's a bit long in the tooth because of the lack of upgrades, and it coming in behind all other western tanks in the SETC. Not all that much info on it, to be honest.

AW is even worse and you know it. HP based systems really says it all and those unlock trees are fucked up in general. It doesn't help you literally cannot get a PVP game because nobody plays it.

>in armored warfare
OPINION DISREGARDED

They are basically a Leopard 2A4, that came out a decade later and has received no significant upgrades since. Italy is expected to phase them out in favor of Centauro 2's.

Attached: 0_183e8d_2272a844_XL.jpg (800x534, 48K)

When has the C1 ever seen combat?

In vidya gaem

Really this; the C1 is remarkable for being entirely unremarkable for an indigenous NATO tank. The Leopard 2, Challenger 2, Abrams, and Leclerc all have something a little strange or special about them, but the C1 is pretty much entirely at or just a hair below average.

Attached: C1 Ariete.jpg (426x319, 13K)

Operation Ancient Babylon (2004)

Attached: C1 Ariete uparmored irak.jpg (850x636, 47K)

Bumping for informative answers. Memers stay away please!

Attached: c1-ariete-schema-carro-interno.jpg (2000x1351, 876K)

Tank actually performs quite well in exercises and trainings against other NATO tanks.

No it doesn't. It came in last among western tanks in the SETC shooting competition that it showed up to.

Italy only participated in 2016 and suffered from a badly calibrated tank gun at the first second. After fixing it the Ariete was one of the best one day later.

Even ignoring the plain fact that the Ariete uses the typical 120mm Rheinmetall tank gun with the same ammunition as the Germans.

Italians don't exactly have a prestigious tank history to draw experience from.

Several countries have only participated once but have gotten high scores. Both Sweeden (2018) and Denmark (2016) came in at 2. place the only times they were competing.

But anyways the SETC is not really a good way to compare tanks, it says more about the training of the crews participating.

To compare tanks we should look more towards hard numbers like horsepower, protection in RHA, optics etc. etc. many of which are impossible for us mortals to get.

They actually made the best version of the Renault FT in the Fiat 2000: capable of reaching speeds of 21mph on the same suspension as the vanilla FT.

well if they ammo rack you through the weak lower plate and your crew dies and the engine catches fire the first shot in, it totally doesn't matter if you have hp or not.

why does it look so small?

That's a rather scant and rather dubious distinction.

well, it's not
see

>italians
>tanks

has there ever been an italian tank that wasn't a clusterfuck?

all hes saying is that games change armor values to make it more fair
its a game not the real thing

For the most part their tanks weren't actually awful.

The problem was how slow they could actually develop and produce them.

Ariete isn't a clusterfuck at all. It's just the absolute definition of "average western tank".

It's not like anyone has access to genuine penetration data for 4th gen tank armor anyways.

The electronics are really outdated by this point.
The engine also has some issues.
Italian tankers have mixed opinions about it, but all of them agree that it is inferior to other european MBTs.
There's rumours of an uopgrade, the "C2 Ariete", which will greatly improve its defenses and fix the aforementioned issues, but it has been talked about for more than a decade now and it looks like they gave up on it, preferring to upgrade other lighter AFVs right now.
It's not terrible, but it is terribly outdated.

Some uparmoured C1s saw service with Iraq

You're talking about the Fiat3000, but that's actually true

Should have bought German.

yea so imagine how off a game would be

cant really judge the armor then really
guess you can see if it has a decent gun and have a guess on the ammo it would have
also combat footage/reports thats it really

Is there any speculation on the armor? I assume its the usual NATO spaced + NERA inserts composite. You would hope the large LFP is a huge slab of composite given the ammo location. I'm guessing the armor is probably pretty good vs heat but only 400mm RHA or so against kinetic threats like other MBTs from that era.

> Italy is expected to phase them out in favor of Centauro 2's.
No they are not.

To add: the reason they had a badly calibrated gun is because they randomly picked a tank crew that had been doing street ops (Strade Sicure) for months. They had to get used to the tank again on the first day, did badly, came first second day.

They are not rumors, the army started a project to upgrade them all before 2028. Estimated cost is 5 million per unit, so a total of about 1b euro. In the 2017-2019 budget plan the army allocated 35 million spread over 3 years to develop 2 prototypes from existing ones. After that, we'll see. But if they made it with Centauro 2, they'll make it with Ariete 2 I'm sure.

If a tank gets penetrated anywhere irl its mission is going to be over regardless of crew survival. Just bringing up ammo racks is retarded.

I always thought it looked cool regardless of its reputation or combat effectiveness. I always liked more obscure MBTs like this, or the Type 90 and K1.

Are those bolts?

Attached: C1 Ariete.webm (854x480, 1.77M)

Neither did the French

Attached: AMX Leclerc.jpg (1280x851, 212K)

I don't know I'd say the French had pretty prestigious and even ground breaking tank development history. Of course you have the FT-17, the predecessor for all modern tanks in layout and role, and while they don't look like much their pre WW2 tanks were some of the best, then you have some good post war designs like the AMX-13 which was extremely popular world wide with export, the AMX-30 was pretty solid design wise too.

>To compare tanks we should look more towards hard numbers like horsepower, protection in RHA, optics etc. etc. many of which are impossible for us mortals to get.

I’d like to see the really arcane stuff- ratio of maintenance hours to operating hours, average hours between major failures, expected power pack lifespan, all that sort of thing.

But that's not true.

>Less than a quarter of them are working
>out of 156 in active service
Holy fuck- why even bother having armored formations at this point?