Is the sks, the most robust, overbuilt semi auto, in an intermediate caliber?

Is the sks, the most robust, overbuilt semi auto, in an intermediate caliber?

Attached: qomhBB7.jpg (1500x1000, 964K)

not really, no.

Then what is?

>overbuilt
Of course not.
Jesus

no, maybe

its average.

Ptr

Nice black bolt carrier Russian SKS, looks like mine but with a newer stock. It's not overbuilt, but it's built damn strong and reliable. Mine is 68 years old (1950) and the stock is 60 (1958), it was probably a reserve rifle as soon as it came out of the factory, and probably remained so until the 1970s, then it might've been transferred to a Russian police department before being exported later. Mine was never dunked in cosmoline and was in service its whole life. Easily has been fired more than 10,000 times, maybe even twice that. And in the 2 years I've had it, I have put over 1,000 more rounds through it and never once had a malfunction of any problem with. You'll be hard pressed to see the modern plastic shit last that long or outlast you.

>You'll be hard pressed to see the modern plastic shit last that long or outlast you.
Except modern "plastic shit" absolutely can and will last that long.

Show me an example of a 60 year old synthetic stock on a rifle and an example of plastic internal parts lasting 68 years without replacement. I'll wait.

Attached: SKS #732, Tula City, Russia 1950.jpg (1809x277, 111K)

ARs exist.
You are also under the wrong impression that plastic stock = plastic internals.

Most cheap lpk's on ARs have plastic internal parts among them. When I first completely stripped my SKS, I had to have it on a press to hold it in place while my brother and I used a punch to push out the bore rod on the gas piston block, you could hit the thing with a sledge hammer and never cause it to break.

I'm not saying the SKS is bad nor a tough rifle, I'm just saying you are vastly underestimating the longevity of modern guns.

The AR, faggot

>bore rod
>gas piston block
Those parts dont exist. You have a gas block, rear sight base, piston and return piston.

It was a gas valve take down rod and on mine it was extremely difficult to remove and no matter how I hit the punch it never scratched, I'm not a terminology expert.

That's fair, since there hasn't been enough time yet to see if a modern civilian AR can last more than 50 years yet. But without a doubt, the older guns were built exclusively with toughness in mind, especially Soviet ones.

Fuck actually I don't even know what it's called, it wasn't the gas valve rod either, it was closer to the rear sight.

A modern AR can last generations, it is the perfect rifle

Are you talking about the piston extension that runs through the rear sight block?

Dat comma placement.

Attached: 7EFAC819-3158-4196-942A-F762A0A3C9A1.jpg (600x393, 61K)

Plastic's shit. It isn't durable at all. Chemicals in it seep continuously, making it loose some of its properties (rendering plastic brittle over time). You can notice that pretty quickly if you buy some cheap plastic shelves and keep them in a little ventilated place. You'll smell very easily all the chemicals that made their way out of it. If some chemicals aren't in it anymore, its property will change. You can also check that with old plastic bags that are around 10-15 years old. They are brittle.

What differs between cheap and good or old and new plastic is the speed of that phenomenum and how it is affected by sunlight for example. In the mean time, wood if it isn't too poorly maintained will last centuries. Metal can last even longer if it doesn't rust. Plastic is unstable by nature, you have to keep that in mind. Also you will never know exactly in advance how long it'll last. I'd say that the modern, high end polymers of our guns have around 30 to 40 years in front of them. But don't count on them after this deadline.

A lot of people don't realize it, but the AR market even just 30 years ago was extremely niche and small, go ahead and look for an AR that's over 30 years old and never had parts swapped (even though the AR has been on the civilian market for 53 years). And if you have a cheap minimum bux AR (like most people do today) it won't last as long as the top shelf stuff, you'll eventually have to put a new lpk in it to spruce it back up to its old self again. But being highly modular is why people like the AR, since it's simply to swap out old or unwanted parts, but that does not mean that the rifle is tough or has longevity in its own right. My SKS has never had anything swapped in 68 years, literally a lifetime, and still functions perfectly.

Oh ok. Better tell the aerospace industry that their polymer is worthless because it's exactly the same stuff as the chinesium plastic shelves you buy at walmart.

>AR
>Overbuilt

Dumb shit

I just looked at it, the one I had trouble taking out was the gas tube hand guard ferrule pin. Most people end up breaking theirs on Norinco SKSs and even new Yugos. But mine felt like it was literally made out of the same steel as the receiver (not like those replacement ferrule pins you see online), strong ass Soviet steel and it was stuck in there.

Oh that's also not mentioning the trigger group pins, those were almost just as much of a pain in the ass to remove and still are.

Hahahahah I have a Romainian that has only had maybe 1000 rounds through it! Great to know I have 10's of thousands of rounds to go to catch up!

Attached: image.jpg (1000x910, 56K)

You pinch pins out from left to,right...

Attached: 1357169970546.png (750x600, 340K)

Learn to read user. Seriously.

>what differs between cheap and good plastic is the speed of that phenomenum and how it is affected by sunlight for example

The phenomenum going on is the same. The speed of it can however greatly vary.

And also, I don't say that plastic shouldn't be used at all. It is a great material, can have awesome properties but like everything it has its limits : and here it is time.

I did, thing was made of the same steel as the receiver practically and probably never been punched out in over a decade, I figure that the Russians assumed no one would want to pull the gas tube hand guard off or ever need to and put a bitch pin in there so that it would almost never come out without some shop tools and patience.

A good SKS can probably handle 30k-50k rounds through its lifetime so you have plenty more to go, mine is probably halfway through its barrel life right now.

Then why do you care that you cannot own a gun that is as powerful

Attached: 141882-full.jpg (800x522, 66K)

No that's bullshit you just made up. Plastic lasts thousands of years with no changes in chemical properties.

>b-but look at these McDonalds toys that have been sitting outside for a decade. They're all discolored and brittle!

Yeah and compare that with a piece of metal or wood that's been exposed to the elements that long.

>plastic
>last long
Lol no
It gets brittle and shitty with age. It's not actually possible for it to last as long as well treated wood.

>Plastic lasts thousands of years with no changes in chemical properties.
Citation fucking needed

Because it's not about "power" retard

>never been punched out in over a decade
thats only 10 years?

Attached: Joseph-Stalin-Quotes-1.jpg (600x245, 46K)

Speaking of bullshit you just made up..........

You can protect metal & maintain wood. As I said earlier, they can last century... What you wanna do for plastic ?? Nothing. Just keep it away from sunlight & hope it'll last a bit of time.

Gonna need source user. Because that is fucking retarded.

>Nothing. Just keep it away from sunlight & hope it'll last a bit of time.
On the shelf behind me is a Revell B-29 that my dad built in 1956 or so. The plastic is in perfectly fine shape, and that's just cheap polystyrene. Your plastic will be fine for a very long time.

I just got myself a Chinese SKS today. What accessories should I get for it?

I'm thinking a new stock, and modifying it so I can use AK magazines. Stripper clips are stupid.

>On the shelf

Attached: 1520839592352.jpg (187x204, 10K)

You're stupid for wanting to make a good gun shitty and unreliable.

>The plastic is in perfectly fine shape
You say that with what sort of proof exactly?
Because it hasn't literally fallen to pieces, it's fine? I guarantee it's more brittle now than it was 60 years ago.

I'd like to take a moment to share that I spent $420 on a Norinco SKS back before the election and I'm fucking disgusted with myself. That is all.

It's some surplus Chink rifle. If anything, I'd be improving it.

no, you really wouldn't be. That's the mentality of every bubba ever.
got one unfired for $340 a month ago. I'm sorry user.

You're stupid for thinking that the modifications for AK mags are worth a shit.

Unless it's an SKS-D, you're going to do nothing more than fuck up the function of your rifle.

And no, I'm not a purist, You're just incompetent if you think you can force a thing to do a thing it was never designed to do with any sort of reliability.

The SKS is a fine rifle, I own 3 (technically 4, but I don't count the Egyptian pile of shit that I wouldn't sell to anyone, because it's that much garbage) Including a Norinco D variant, they're reasonably accurate, adding a spring to the firing pin removes the only mechanical issue that the rifle was ever known to really suffer from (slamfire) and even with cheap shitty ammo, they feed and fire every single time...

Unless you don't want them to do what they're designed to do... i.e. shoot targets with a reasonable degree of accuracy, and reliably feed ammunition.

how much do you want for the Egyptian pile of shit?

any tips on refinishing an sks stock?

Clearly it's a parenthetical; OP's stating as fact that it's the most robust, overbuilt semi auto, and asking if it's in an intermediate caliber.
>Is the sks (the most robust, overbuilt semi auto) in an intermediate caliber?