Say hello to the F-22 the most overrated aircraft in service

Say hello to the F-22 the most overrated aircraft in service.

Attached: F-22-crash-landing.jpg (883x470, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/the-war-zone/20633/exclusive-heres-the-f-22-production-restart-study-the-usaf-has-kept-secret-for-over-a-year?source=dam
youtu.be/ZOV3GvH3yTA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

While I can agree with that statement, that picture is not exactly the best reason you could have offered.

>File Name
It can still look like that after crash landing?
Impressive.

2nd most overpriced as well after (((buy my F-35 goys!))), but at least the F-22 has actual air superiority capabilities. Just think though, in 1998 you could buy 5 (five) F-15Ds for every 1 (one) F-22.

But the F-15's lack any equipment suited to engage F-22's effectively. All 5 F-15's would be shot down without losing the single F-22.

Attached: 1388161882554.jpg (4256x2832, 2.21M)

That would explain why the US still buys F-15 but not F-22.

That's true, especially since the F-15 never received any major radar upgrades that could deal with stealth fighters. But when you try and replace 1,000 F-15s with 196 F-22s for the foreseeable future you are gonna lose your air superiority power through and through, even if it's a better plane. The F-15C was also the same price as the D in 1998, add a little upgrades to the radar and avionics and it's almost just as capable as the F-22 minus the stealth.

Attached: USAF F-15C.jpg (2850x1663, 1.64M)

A decision based on monetary, rather then capability reasons. You can blame the end of the first cold war for the high price per unit for the F-22 as orders were halved and then halved again (From ~700/800 to ~190).

Attached: 1421712339923.jpg (2000x1310, 2.07M)

>claiming that the F-22 renders the F-15 obsolete
>then claim monetary reasons killed the F-22
>despite the fact that buying more F-15 ould be the monetary bad decision

USAF doesn't purchase new F15 airframes. The ones being produced are being sold to other nations. The F15 is going to be retired in the next decade.

The F-22 production was halted for some bullshit reason. We don't really need ASFs in our current situation. We have them on hand and we have the ability to shit them out like crazy, but the possibility of a conventional war is very unlikely. Despite all the shitposting Russia and China do, they can't afford a conventional war, and neither can the USA.

>despite the fact that buying more F-15 ould be the monetary bad decision

Blame US congress and by default, all Americans for fucking up so badly.

Attached: 1418200606392.jpg (2464x1640, 2.36M)

It's not overrated if it works.

The aircraft is more than 20 year old. I bet if it were 1995 people would say that the F-15E is overrated.

F-22 crewfag here. I was there for that.

It wasn't the plane's fault by any means. The pilot was in training, on his third solo flight, doing basic bitch touch and go's.

He touched, pulled up, but forgot the throttle up part of "go." He realized he was very close to the ground, so instead of just throttling up late, he decided to try and drop the gear and land, only he was too low. RMLG deployed fully, but the LMLG was too close too the ground and folded back in as he tried to put the aircraft's weight on it. RMLG and NLG then ripped off as the belly ate the fucking pavement.

Shit was fun to watch.

and only cot few million dollars of tax payers money XXD

Worst part was that he was back in the cockpit less than 2 weeks later cause "muh flight school timetablez"

>no export costumers

What a turd.

What was the extend of the damage?

Will there still be manned fighter planes in 10 years? Asking for my wife's son.

Not same user, but obviously, we still haven't even replaced the F-16 fully yet, and the F-35 is going to be in till at least 2050 or so.

Aside from the entire landing gear system needing to be rebuilt, all the lower panels needed to be replaced, the bottom edges of the intakes needed to be touched up a bit, and the engines were pulled from service for a while for an extremely detailed FOD damage inspection. I don't remember if they replaced the lower TVNs or not. The whole plane sat in a phase hangar for about 2 years, and got back to the base some time after I got out.

I believe so. The tech isn't trusted enough. I'm still at the base as civil service, and every time they launch or recover a drone, we have to shut down the highway in case they lose connection and it crashes. That happened a few years ago with an f4. While it wasn't a huge loss, I can't imagine they'll trust 22's and 35's to be pilotless, especially if the connection at less than 10 nm isn't 100% reliable.

Interesting post user

Whatever Ivan.

>2 years in repair

Wtf.

Say hello to a bunch of bees.

Attached: F-22-vs-bees-3.jpg (1024x768, 536K)

I actually think it only took 1y 8m for the full repair and inspections. They literally NDI'd every millimeter of every piece that wasn't replaced. The overall investigation into the crash took almost 4 months, since everyone had to have their hands in the cookie jar for it (QA, FAA, AMU people, wing people, IG people, group people, OSI, PA, wing safety, flight safety, ground safety, base ops, rapconn/tower people, etc.)

Interestingly enough, the crosswalks in the captcha are mini instrument hold lines.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-23-07-48-02.png (1440x2880, 1.28M)

>equip bees

That's kinda the unfortunate reality of this fighter pilot shortage. They already sent that kid through UPT and IFF training, so they're no going to just strip his wings and kick him out for a dumb (but expensive) mistake. I guess a more severe punishment would be kicking him out of F-22's and sending him to a "needs of the air force" plane like the C-130J or KC-135, but he was probably just too far along and too much money spent on him to learn the Raptor. Also isn't their first flight in the jet solo?

In the 22, yeah. They start with twin prop trainers to learn basic stuff, and then progress to t-38s for more advanced stuff, all while running 22 sims. Least that's what I was told. Not 100% sure how their pipeline goes.

I know the military is retarded but that repair time is disgusting.

If only we could use it without the special hangars or aerial refullers

Yeah at Pilot Training they first fly the T-6, then the T-38 to learn how to fly. Then they fly the T-38 at Intro to Fighter Fundamentals to learn basic fighter-specific stuff, then they head off to their weapon system. I know F-16's and F-15's have 2-seat models that a new pilot will fly in for the first 6 flights or so, then move on to a solo jet. The F-22 and A-10 are the only jets I know of that start off solo. Obviously after shitloads of sim hours though.
I'd imagine the squadron being pretty fucking pissed at the kid for making such a mistake though. Figures that the crown jewel of the Air Force has some pilots with extremely high standards.

F-35 is solo too

It makes sense for a brand new airframe that went through a shitty accident.

Turn around time for some aircraft is pretty quick. Within hours if the parts are in supply.

Every lost F-22 is a massive loss of American air power because they can't produce new F-22 aircraft and the F-35 isn't a potential replacement.

So going the extra mile is only logical.

>Checked for being the engine model number of the 22

What?

7119 is the model number of the engine used in the 22.

And you're a retard.

What's your fucking point?

It's the Pratt & Whitney F-119. The engines in the F22.

And what now?

It was a simple post number check relevant to the thread. user asked what it meant, and it was explained.

so you quoted an unrelated post?

What post was unrelated, aside from this train wreck of a reply chain?

My point is you're a retard.

We can produce more F-22s, we just don't for some reason made up by politicians.

It's not like they were going to make an F-22 trainer.

>We can produce more F-22s
Tooling has been destroyed.

95% of tooling remains intact at the Sierra Army Depot.

We can make more.

amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/the-war-zone/20633/exclusive-heres-the-f-22-production-restart-study-the-usaf-has-kept-secret-for-over-a-year?source=dam

With other words they can't.

>Jow Forums - Weapons
>Where obese socially phobic losers that jerk off to anime claim to be more technically competent than military personnel as well as being privy to secret information they totally didn't just cherry pick out of an RT article to push their own nihilistic worldview.

Attached: Pisspot.png (738x739, 71K)

>tooling is impossible to recreate

Jesus. The study found they can refurbish the tooling back to a usable state. How fucking ignorant are you.

What the fuck did you say to me?

>Also isn't their first flight in the jet solo?
And now you made me picture an instructor squeezing into the cockpit with the pilot.

Oh shut up.

It was a peacetime incident with a belly landing. No reason not to be absolutely thorough.

I'LL LET YOU KNOW

>the most overrated aircraft in service
When pic related exists? I don't think so

Attached: 1017119019.jpg (1000x541, 47K)

No one even talks about those.

What is with this meme that the f-35 is overpriced, all the other new production 4th gens cost about as much

That's why they'd have to be semi/fully autonomous. Short of quantum super special tech I don't see a way to get a good enough connection for, say, dogfighting
Inb4 "bvr missiles exist"

Attached: 1527894902973.jpg (400x400, 93K)

>Mops the floor with the best the world has to offer
>Overrated

Attached: 1527855891242.jpg (460x316, 43K)

You should maybe read the study before posting.

I bet you belive all nukes and Navy submarines are trash too.

Yeah but still. Its asinine to believe you cannot restart production of the F-22 because of tooling. Tooling is reproducible, therefore the F-22 is reproducible.

You're still a fag.

That's a good landing. Pilot walked away. Go be a shit lord somewhere else. The art and science of heavier than air objects and their motions in the heavens is not for you.

That isnt unusual for that sort of damage in any western air force.

Attached: Ackchyually.png (200x200, 24K)

I believe the remaining USAF F15C/D's have been/are being updated with AESA.

Spreyposters.

Post Ivan/Changs faces when pic OP's pic still is lightyears ahead of whatever they could throw at it

Attached: 1526896843360.png (967x954, 554K)

For export customers its overpriced. For the USAF it isnt since they orered 2000 of them.

Attached: 16d.jpg (480x360, 10K)

Rafale- ~85 million USD
EF-2000 ~100 million USD
Gripen E ~70 million USD
The F-35 costs around 90 million. It isn't overpriced, especially when you compare it to its inferior competitors being sold on the market today.

t. Long Duk Dong

Where did you get those numbers from? In all recent deals all of them has been significantly more expensive since a lot of stuff is included.

The initial purchase price isnt really thet much of a deal tho, as operating costs over say 30 years is probably what matters.

>The initial purchase price isnt really thet much of a deal tho, as operating costs over say 30 years is probably what matters.
That's why the F-35 is the best option for allied countries. It's relatively cheap to purchase and it'll be relatively cheap to maintain considering a lot of countries are involved with it so maintance won't be so expensive.

All depends on where you live and your doctrine. If you arent part of Nato maintanence costs wont really be much reduced because other people half a planet away also uses them.

Its still relativly expensive to maintain, but one could argue that the others will have to be replaced faster as they are all 15 years older, and thus are in the long run more expensive.

youtu.be/ZOV3GvH3yTA

It will definitely be less expensive than maintaining legacy fighters for another 10/20/30 years beyond their expected life time.

>All depends on where you live and your doctrine. If you arent part of Nato maintanence costs wont really be much reduced because other people half a planet away also uses them.
The US is operating in/near pretty much everyone who's buying the F-35

Legacy or not the airframes are new

And still far from everyone buys them.

Bank you fer bor cervix

LMFAO! Did he get to still be a fighter pilot after this?

Wrond number, dude, that's the 35, not the 22.

>It's relatively cheap to purchase and it'll be relatively cheap to maintain

Attached: giphy.gif (200x200, 16K)

F-15s will be longer in tooth than you expect user.

The upgrade programs for them are going to stretch the fuckers like the B-52, as well as the next generation of engines and stealth are very compatible with them.

I mean he's not wrong. It's not an expensive aircraft considering what it does and the fact many countries are opting in the program means overall costs will only lower over time. I get it's hard for people with a lower IQ to understand basic information like that however.

It was a peacetime accident, so the aircraft was off limits from being touched until EVERY object on that aircraft was examined for fault. Every F-22 in the fleet got a little something from the fault investigation on that aircraft.

From there, it was put through rigorous structural testing, NDI as the other user said, and some one off modifications.

After that, repairs were considered complete after a lengthy flight recert.

>T.EdwardsAFBasshole/

Maintenance world is very small.

>I get it's hard for people with a lower IQ to understand basic information like that however.

Ah, absolutely. Keep munching on that flying lemon, it will be all the more sour in the end.

Syrians damaged one with a 50 year old S200, but keep believing it's good, knock yourself out.

>Unironically believing southfront

Attached: 1528538394712.jpg (466x490, 39K)

I agree the operating costs are high, but now are you just baiting or beeing an actual vatnik

hey ordnance last i checked we still need the new Humvee tires plus why cant i have a hard top on it

>5 F-15s for 1 F-22
Didn't a single F-22 kick the shit out of like 5-6 F-15s in a training fight?

Attached: 1525102441931.png (273x514, 27K)

5 times in a row, yes

>end of the first Cold War
t-there’s a second one?

it started in 2010

>I agree the operating costs are high

Attached: F35OperatingCostVSF16.png (1341x928, 374K)

>Old as hell F-16s needing tons of maintanence is still significantly cheaper then brand new F-35s

Exactly my point