.45-70 Gov't

ITT: Jow Forumsommandos appreciate & discuss .45-70 Government (my favorite lever action rifle caliber).
>inb4 only government you can trust
This was the most powerful round I ever got to shoot with my dad & brother (lever action guide gun), drilling through about sixteen solid inches of fresh hardwood. I loved that guide gun with its handy carbine length, but am tempted to spring for a full-length old army-style with octagonal barrel because of stories like this one from Wikipedia:
>After the Sandy Hook tests of 1879, a new variation of the .45-70 cartridge was produced: the .45-70-500, which fired a heavier, 500 grain, (32.5 g) bullet. The heavier bullet produced significantly superior ballistics, and could reach ranges of 3,350 yards (3,120 m), which were beyond the maximum range of the .45-70-405. While the effective range of the .45-70 on individual targets was limited to about 1,000 yards (915 m) with either load, the heavier bullet would produce lethal injuries at 3,500 yards (3,200 m). At those ranges, the bullets struck point-first at a roughly 30 degree angle, penetrating three 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick oak boards, and then traveling to a depth of 8 inches (20 cm) into the sand of the Sandy Hook beach. It was hoped the longer range of the .45-70-500 would allow effective volley fire at ranges beyond those normally expected of infantry fire.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-70
>tfw 0.45" 500 grain projectile cooking along at somewhere just above or below the speed of sound

Attached: 45-70_Government.jpg (557x537, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.45-70 U.S Government.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw killshots at two miles

Attached: 1529627366556.jpg (381x611, 132K)

Good luck ever having an honest discussion about bullet weights on this mongolian crochet bbs it's all "muh modern hollowpoint all bullets are the same"

>t. absolutely booty blasted 45acp owner

Ca...can I rebarrel a Yugo Mauser to .45-70? I'd like to buy a service grade one and rebarrel it to something else. Or I'd at least like a .45-70 with a Mauser action.

Pros
>fun
>effective on pretty much anything
>lots of handloading ability
>firearms and ammo still available

Cons
>limited power in some firearms
>cases are thin brass so maximum power is limited as primers start falling out if your firearm can take modern pressure
>rimmed

>owning guns
>posting on Jow Forums
pick one

Attached: 1523298328674.jpg (512x453, 69K)

>good read:
ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.45-70 U.S Government.html

>The .45-70 is generally divided into three levels of performance, each governed by the strength of rifle actions used. The “trapdoor Springfield’s and early lever actions are the weakest actions. Modern replicas are also included in this bracket. To ensure against litigation, all factory ammunition is loaded to low pressures. To some extent, this precaution has limited the popularity of the .45-70 but as many weak arms are still in circulation, low pressure factory ammunition is a necessity. Hand loaders are advised to develop low pressure loads for safe operation in these arms. Maximum pressures are usually quoted as either 28,000CUP or 28,000PSI (similar correlation). A typical factory load within this pressure consists of a 300 grain bullet driven at 1800fps (24” barrel)

>The second level of performance comes with the use of high pressure hand loads in post 1972 Marlin M1895 rifle. Reloading guides suggest maximum pressures of 40,000CUP or 45,000PSI. The modern Marlin rifle is a very robust rifle; the .444 cartridge can easily be loaded to 47,000PSI without stress to the firearm. As hand loaders have no access to pressure testing equipment, fired brass is the most useful tool in estimating maximum pressures. The reloader’s brass is the weakest link in the firearm and once primer pockets begin to expand or extraction becomes difficult, the handloader has moved beyond the maximum practical working pressure of the rifle. A typical hand load within 45,000PSI consists of a 300 grain bullet driven at 2400fps.

>The third and highest obtainable pressures are derived from the use of the Ruger No.1 single shot rifle as well as various custom built bolt actions. Reloading guides suggest maximum pressures of 50,000CUP or 60,000PSI. A typical load consists of a 300 grain bullet at 2530fps.

...can .45-70 STEEL cases be had? Can we get 70,000+ CUP or PSI for 3kfps?

Attached: MAR70480.jpg (999x749, 21K)

I've had a 1914 enfield done up to shoot 45-70. The 1914s were in 303 Brit, so they were already better suited to a rimmed round.

Even then, it's not perfectly reliable. Upside is power, as the 1914 and 1917 (aside from some Eddystone rifles that were improperly heat treated) has a very strong action. So as previously stated in the thread, brass becomes the upper limit of power for handloads.

By upper limit, I do mean 500gr bullets at 1800ft/s from an 18.5" barrel.

Keep in mind I bought a rifle that was already bubba'd to hell, so I only cut up a rifle that was already fucked.

Honestly, get a lever action. If you want a bolt, go with another caliber. If I were to redo this project, I would have saved my money and gone with a CZ Safari rifle.

Attached: 1399479959595.jpg (2542x1499, 998K)

What do you actually shoot with that thing? Wouldn't you just get more usable meat with a full auto?

Attached: xjp5d.jpg (2040x3264, 640K)

With heavy copper jacketed lead bullets, expansion is limited. You pretty much get a thumb-sized slug that'll punch a straight hole through and through pretty much anything.

My buddy has a 450 Marlin with 400gr JSPs at 1900ft/s, and he was out hunting one day. He saw the sides of a deer poking from a side of a tree and fired. Went through 10" of pine, then the deer. Bullet was not recovered.

SAIL

how much stronger is the breech of a ruger No. 1 vs a rotating bolt ala ar10 type.

Skinwalkers.

I love this round. It's so powerful yet fun to shoot. Plus there are so many different loading's for it. Only issue is how fucking expensive it is, especially if you are looking for hot stuff. Underwood +P is the strongest I've seen advertising 3740 ft-lb of energy. But they are almost 4 bucks a round after shipping.

Attached: 45-70 bourbon.png (465x1052, 518K)

shes got a hairy pussy and ass

I mean yeah I just watched the movie JAWS a while ago so I'm not going to say it's impractical or anything. Ever tried lighter weight full copper bullets or is that just too light where it'd cause pressure problems? My state bans lead in some circumstances and I always wanted a .45-70 lever gun. Never considered a bolt.
I can't think of any women I've been with that don't.

Can anyone on Earth show me a "level 3 load"? I have never in my entire life seen a commercial ammunition company stipulate that the round was only usable in "Ruger No.1 single shots".

I have shot some 500 gr solids (Barnes), nothing lighter than 400gr. However there are bullets much lighter and there's plenty of loads out there for them. You can check out Hodgdons online, it's got some decent handload recipes for lighter bullets.

I think I've seen Garrett's boutique loads that say "strong action only", like bolt action or Ruger single shots.

Thank you for the advice! I'll probably do that; pick up a levergun instead, and spring for a CZ Safari. (Maybe in .300 WM)

The only reason I mentioned CZ was actually because they offer a 450 Rigby chambering. It's a 416 Rigby necked up to .458", so you could share the projectiles between the 45-70 and the CZ.

If you want something in a regular chambering like 300 Win Mag, the brand would matter less. Anything would probably suit you fine, aside from a Remington 783.

Never buy a Remington 783 for any reason.

>The only reason I mentioned CZ was actually because they offer a 450 Rigby chambering. It's a 416 Rigby necked up to .458", so you could share the projectiles between the 45-70 and the CZ.
Wow, this is great information to have; I'd love to get into reloading, and this would be a great opportunity! Thanks.

I don't know why anyone would get a .45-70 and not reload.

I'm a little bit reticent about reloading. I've only considered some light cowboy action loads for the most part. Trying to decide between a .44 mag lever to pair with the wheel gat, or a .45-70 and trying out getting a suppressor for it.

Attached: 1519492384190.gif (525x428, 3.51M)

Especially with the .45-70 when 405gr is pretty much perfect

It's not that serious man. The HP either expand violently and penetrate just enough to pass through game animals and the hardcast is all about penetration in the first place so it doesn't exactly blow shit up

The No1 is literally a barrel and a chunk of steel behind it. A solid block of steel lifts up into place behind the cartridge

That pretty much the realm of hand loaders doing crazy shit with No1s and contenders because they can. Pushing past 2000fps with a .45-70 doesn't really offer any advantages in practice like it does on paper. You've got hammer heads and BBs magnum loads because people want them but a 400-500gr bullet is going to put in work at 1000fps or 2000fps

Attached: 4570phh.jpg (546x310, 65K)

>suppressor can on subsonic .45-70 government levergun
Just found muh new shtf gun.

Attached: IMG_20180414_183855768.jpg (2592x1944, 2.24M)

It's kind of difficult finding a good lever gun though. Some of the ones with side gates reputation has gone down. I sure as fuck don't want to put my fingers near the barrel or in front of the bore during a dexterity dice roll reloading it.

Attached: 1522734203984.jpg (400x534, 61K)

Be aware the heavier slugs kick you like a fucking mule. The 300 grainers are like shooting a big giant 30-30, if that makes any sense.

Since you got trips don't forget to throw some youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg on your music list to listen to if that happens.

Only one chick I've been with has had any hair on her ass and it was like that fine hair like babies have on their bodies that isn't really noticeable

I'm not in any way shape or form surprised I've fucked chics that are more manly than you.

Attached: 1523000230715.jpg (650x803, 108K)

I think you seriously misread what I had said

If anybody is interested, .50 Beowulf has comparable ballistics to the original .45-70. Up to 400gr. with a standard AR15 lower and magazines- just need a bolt, barrel and enlargen the ejection port in the upper slightly.

Imagine a. 45-70 SBR backpack levergat

45-70 mares leg?

Look for a 45 70 Thai Mauser

Wish they made 45-70 all-metal Spitzers for single shot rifles

Ah. Yeah, 45-70 is a popular hand-loader cartridge, makes sense it's note really a thing for commercial ammo.

Hmmmm. I'll need to check that out. A lot of his stuff doesn't have crazy energy levels, but he does push huge freaking rounds.

Reloading set ups are huger and expensive, I don't have the room for it.

Winchester offers the model 1886 in 45-70, smoothest action around, my perfect levergun

Those bi-ass loads from Buffalo Bore are kickers too. But man, are they accurate and extremely powerful 45-70 rounds.

*big-ass, ain't nothing queer about them

bubba

>>tfw killshots at two miles
>volley fire

I