Ashlands thread 3

last thread dont let the threads die edition

>Welcome to the Ashlands, Outlander
>The Ashlands is a group project/collaboration from Jow Forums based around one simple question: What would the US look like if the Yellowstone volcano erupted? Quickly throwing reality and science to the side (because let's be honest, the reality would be horrifying but ultimately pretty boring) Jow Forumsommandos quickly came up with the idea that there are 4 zones that are transformed by the Ash, or the Grey, as the natives call it. The Outer Zone, Inner Zone, Deep Zone, and The Dead Zone. The deeper one travels into the Grey, the stranger things become, and men who have made it into the Dead Zone are never seen again.

Attached: ashlands thread.jpg (593x480, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ashlands.wikia.com/wiki/Ashlands:_A_Jow
discord.gg/RYCMdv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>this again

Discord invite:6rJE7
Also bump from Kon

why can't this roleplaying shit stay out of a single board I visit?
Why do you literal literary autists have to keep these fucking threads around?
You're the furries of Jow Forums and your threads are cringe, fuck off

Attached: 1528576345148.jpg (600x678, 57K)

faggots

Also, here's the Wiki.
ashlands.wikia.com/wiki/Ashlands:_A_Jow Forums_Role-Playing_Game_Wikia

normie pls go and stay go

You can hide the thread if you don't like it autists

Attached: 1514339578010.png (644x500, 66K)

Nobody wants you here, """""""outlander"""""""
*tips steampunk goggle mask

>tfw ull never fight ashwalkers over a barely harmed mp3 player with darude sandstorm worth kilos of food to some rich fag

Attached: smokepepe.png (509x411, 18K)

What did you say nigger

Attached: 1529537167029.jpg (540x960, 240K)

Yo, that guy who posted the psu emblem here?

also, bump

Newfags fuck off.

who?

Can I get a recommendation on a paint color for my ar? thinking white would be good to blend with the ash

grey would be better. have you seen how dark that stuff is? on a bad storm i swear the sun just plain gets blocked right out. and i live in the ozarks.

Post it

So what exactly happens in the deep and dead zones? If I took off my mask, would I die?

deep zone is constant ash blizzard, really fucked up there
dead zone is unsurvivable

what kind of cults exist in the ashlands?

weird ones

Got another discord invite?

Attached: FB_IMG_1527790241164.jpg (720x720, 117K)

Are there mutants?

It would be extremely painful

k4T9mJ

post a valid link faggot

discord.gg/RYCMdv

Yes.

they get more fucked up the closer you come to the dead zone

for you.

>men who have made it into the Dead Zone are never seen again.

Then how do you know they went there and not Fuked-off to the coast, faggot?

california fell the fuck off the east coast, san andreas fault and shit

fucking faggot kys

Journal of PVT jeff young, 77th ozark expeditionary unit
date, 15th of june, 25PA

This is great! just picked up this Journal from a general store in KC, wanted to have something to write down stuff in before my first long term expedition. of course i could have just gotten any old notebook, but i wanted something as sturdy as my gun, so i got this. the girl at the store said this thing could block bullets, but im not entirely sure thats true, but who am i to deny free protection? so anyways, sgt maj becker said our expedition would be going into north canada to find an old military base and secure it. were gonna be going deep into the inner ashlands so things are bound to get weird. becker said our unit was gonna be getting two new guys to replace the two old ones we lost on our first expedition (at least our units first expedition, beckers been on at least 20 and there are two veterans from his last unit in this one). we head out tomorrow so me and pvt. dunn were gonna go to a bar later to celebrate. hopefully we dont get too drunk.

Journal of PVT jeff young, 77th ozark expeditionary unit
date, 20th of august, 25PA

holy shit, i finally found this thing! so i guess i was a little more tipsy than i let on after i left, because apparently i put my journal in PVC henderson's backpack on accident, and i didnt know for a month! thought i lost the damn thing. ever since then i was writing on any paper i found, but i lost that when we forded a creek a few days back and that was that. although i got the least of it, dunn fell down and got all wet, and apparently he lost all the coffee in his backpack. SGT becker was pissed, he punished him by sending him into this old diner to get more. we found some but becker still says its stale and that hes gonna make dunn pay for buying new stuff when we get to the next town. although i dont know how far thats gonna be since becker says were gonna cross into the edge of the deep zone soon. man, im not normally a worrier, but im nervous as fuck, i was never told we were going in there! sgt becker says were only going on the edge so it wont be too different. but things are already tough as shit out here! Henderson got separated for a day and we only found her yesterday and foley got sick. a lot more has happened but thats the only thing thats happened thats effecting us right now. there was the part where we got ambushed by raiders, and cooper got hit, but the medic fixed him up. that was about two weeks ago, so hes still walking slow. hope hes okay. (side note; owe dunn a beer for getting me a new pen from that diner)

Bump. This is genuinely interesting and a look at the old Jow Forums.

any feed back or suggestions?

Holy fuck, are you aware of what comma rules and capitalization even are? Disregarding typographical errors though, the story is also rather lackluster. It suffers from the same clichés that every story in an Ashlands thread suffers from, and I can tell exactly what will happen next.
The rest of the story will go as follows
>They reach the zone.
>Oh no, scary noises!
>Oh no, some guy died!
>Oh no, more guys died!
>Oh no, everyone's dead save for me!
And then, the ending will be some bullshit about how some wanderer discovered said journal and sold it to whoever wrote the epilogue. Please just quit while you're ahead.

Post more

>.t butthurt faggot

Attached: 1529465915692.jpg (638x647, 66K)

Kek
Whatever you say

actually i was planning for everyone to make it out except one really dumb guy, and that was because of an ambush.
supernatural stuff wouldnt even have gotten more than a passing mention.

anyways aside from coming off as a butthurt 12 year old you have seemed to have highlighted some of the clechies of supernatural stuff that i well intend to avoid if i ever do anything supernatural. which i probably wont since i dont really like writing supernatural stuff.

hey, its not his fault you forgot that non supernatural things exist. kek.

Once the Alaskan gold rush ended in 1899, Kennecott was abandoned and became a National Park in 1998. Kennecott is located in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, Alaska and was a boomtown that mined massive quantities of Copper and Gold ore until the veins went dry. With the eruption, came earthquakes in Canada that turned up earth. One day, a scavenger came across the ruins of Kennecott and discovered the Gold and Copper rich caverns within the ground.

Can someone critique this?
Also here's a Discord invite valid until 5:00 AM EST
uAR7P

He's right. The world being built here is a harsh wasteland of a rebuilt America after a natural disaster. Detail the conflicts between ACTUAL WRITTEN factions! Not just 'Raiders' or 'Bandits' this isn't Fallout 3.

The typographical errors are shit. Go pass an English class before writing something in that journal format. What's written only has justification as a stylistic choice in an actual written book from a writefag. Not this. Put effort and Jow Forumsnowledge into your work. Don't just put out some 2spoopy4me trash like this if you genuinely want to see this idea get on some feet. Another idea. Take where you live, and blend local folklore and shit into the ash. Get the Wendigo/Skinwalkers out of your head. They're gonna be common. Branch out! Get creative!

Attached: 2492475y2964.jpg (1599x1066, 362K)

Same guy but he got but he got some sand out of his ass

seeit wasnt even going to be remotely supernatural. other threats exist.

Not the same guy as I'm Thanks for pointing at me, hadn't seen it. Other Threats existing was my main point.

also the jornal is from the prospective of an uneducated soldier, not someone with an English degree or even a high school diploma.
which is totally not an excuse in any way or form :^)

Has anyoned updated the status on Arkansas with the deadlands in the area? Does anyone have that one story about a Arkansas guy taking out an ashwalker by himself by jamming his arm into the thing's throat before stamming it several times?

were all going to die when it erupts

Kill yourself

Ask someone on the Discord

Oh no he's back

>Shit summer
>Shit winter
>All creatures want to bite you
>Ticks are everywhere and so are snakes and brown recluses
>The ground is soft everywhere and the non soft grounds are nothing but rocks everywhere
>The Ozarks are impassable unless you’re walking due to lack of funding for roads
>Locals are borderline feral or addicted to Meth and won't blink when they get a chance at killing
>Church based militias are likely to kidnap you in a SHTF scenario
>More guns and knifes in the entore state than the armories in Texas and that is not counting for the non documented owned guns
>Literal stories of people disappearing in the Ozark Forest in just 24 hours and search teams won't even bother searching for them unless pressured to do it
>Not even Skinwalkers would want to step foot into Arkansas due to fears of getting raped and murdered and possibly eaten by the Arkansas locals
>Fucking Hogs man

Arkansas is basically Vietnam except worse.

i feel bad for aussiland, their mutant animals must have fucked them up bad

Get a load of this faggot.

where the fuck did either of you get the indication that his story was in any way supernatural?

Attached: CSuB3ZW.png (248x380, 75K)

Kyle?

>Arkansas is temperate forest Vietnam
Shit nigger if America was invaded it'd be the place I go to after the Minnesota wilds.

>Humid as fuck in the summer because lakes
>Cold as fuck in winter
>forests are thick as hell
>Wolves, Moose, and Bears everywhere
>miles on miles of trees in places
>boring as fuck
>probably go stir crazy from the isolation
>cabin fever is common as hell
>no one wants to deal with it
>the "literally who?" of states

Ecologists Journal: 12 years 3 months and 21 days after eruption. Outer Ashlands.

>A week and a half after leaving 12-H and the convoy gets into a standoff with, what we thought were bandits, but it turned out to be another convoy. This one from the Gulf Republic. Captain East thought they were speaking eldritch over the radio but it turned out to be swamp person, which brings up the next problem. I'm the only one that can understand the bastard.

>Turns out that their convoy is also a scientific one like ours and is headed for the boarder of the Ashlands and the Deep Zone. We exchanged findings and wished them luck on their journey and parted ways. The guards didn't relax until they were beyond the horizon, the LFS and the GR have had our differences and conflicts but it's nice that scientific progress can be shared and enjoyed by everyone still.

Minnesotafag here, can confirm. Anywhere north of Duluth is either wilderness or hillbilly central. This state has a ton of state and national forests, including the Chippewa and superior, which are both massive pine and deciduous forests that get extremely dense in some areas, and people have reported cult activity as well as Bigfoot encounters in them.
Minnesota is basically mini-Alaska.

Kek

We all should start writing about smaller interesting factions, especially violent ones, we don't want to go nu-fallout and have every enemy be "raider".
Here's my pitch:
>Deep into the Colorado Ashlands, there's a cult of sorts that from what our scouts can tell, hail some sort of ash god, often raiding and ransacking towns, nailing man woman and child still alive to trees and posts, waiting for the ash to do it's work and turn them into one of them.
they usually are lanky and move fast, they look almost skeletal and pale, usually with parts of their skin ripped off from the violent ash storms.
no one knows where they reside, our scouts usually lose them after following them.

Virginia here. Not being a part of anything called the "Carolina " anything.

>implying Virginia is relevant enough to do anything about it
The Carolinas may hate each other, but they hate you more

This.

ashspawn? definitely ashspawn.

The most important thing here.
Is New Jersey dead?

unfortunately no. but PA east of the appalachians is anarchy for some reason.

The Ashborn.

What the fuck is in New Jersey?
I don't think any humans would go, or stay in there

You've got the right of it, presentation could be less caustic, but you ain't wrong by any measure

Please bring back the Old Dominion. Something about the ash making tobacco viable and the return of the neo-fuedal plantation/ manor system in the wake of industrial society's collapse. House of Burgess, John Rolfe, light infantry, western expansionism, buckwheat cakes, the whole dingdanged thing.

Mormons

Live in fucking Mormon central, can confirm
Even in an apocalyptic wasteland there'd probably be mormonfags trying to come knocking or some shit like that
As if the fuckers didn't bother me enough here

You just quote the Burned Man back to them, right? Right??

Indeed, user. Indeed I do.
I have been baptized twice, once in water, once in flame. I will carry the fire of the holy spirit inside until I stand before my Lord for judgement.

>The Book of Graham

bear in mind I've only been out west as a 9 year old and am pretty drunk but I'll shitpost a short but engaging storyarc of stranger in a strange land(of the ashlands)
>yellowstone throatfucked the northern hemisphire when it blew
>my pap survived the 3 weeks of hell that followed once the government cheese and gasoline stopped coming
>in the not so sunny paradise of post ashland florida
>I was scrappy enough, a second son who had no bunker to look forward to inheriting
>the outer ashlands weren't so dangerous anyway
>day 87 guarding a caravan
>stalker and fallout 7 didn't prepare me for this
>not many people on the road
>everyone in the ashlands will cut your throat or cheat you like a used car salesman over a can of beans
>what a car salesman is I don't know, it's something my dad said
>if you pick around the ash you can get lucky and find a corpse
>no food or water, for obvious reasons, but half the time there'll be 2000 rounds of 5.56, 9mm, or 880 rounds of 7.62x54r in a serviceable but ashbleeched backpack
>it's an ok trade item, but it's value to weight ratio is shit
thanks vidya
>gold is ironically still worth something
>helps there is a fuckload of it
>because... corpses
>vac sealed, pre weighed and certified pre cataclysm
>best currency beside food
>jewelry was harder. 12k, 14k, 18k... the fuck? Jems weren't worth shit either. Finding a trader who'd raided a pawn shop for their gold testing kit wasn't exactly common in the ashlands. A full belly was worth more than a handful of wedding rings.
>NATO spec filters were rare, only aggravated by the number of idiots with hand me down 40mm gas masks from out east
>the chromium and asbestos did a number on a lot in the early days
>3M isn't exactly around anymore but at least every hardware store in the ashlands stocked particulate filters. the pink ones help with the stench of corpses.
>fucking
>mormons
>those pricks went to the hills

>whole towns of well dressed dead eyed self righteous assholes
>like mennonites or the amish but with a stick further up their ass
>shrewd traders too
>something about being nice makes you want to be nice back
>try to "court" their daughters though and daddy will lynch your ass for raping his wife
>and they don't even have the decency of a coffee shop or bar
>megacaldera habbenning happens and these uptight asshats won't even get hammered
>cocksuckers
>closer you get to the ashlands proper, the more fucked up shit gets
>I saw mad max on a vhs when the electricity still ran and it looked like a utopia compared to the ashlands
>near the town of epicenter the propensity for raiders, methheads(the one industry not affected by the end of the world), and ghouls(niggers) dropped off sharply
>filters could only do so much, for both men and vehicles.
>fine dust is a pain in the ass
>it fucks up guns, trucks, and simple pleasures like smoking(or breathing if you're a pussy)
>they'd rigged up most buildings with stolen FEMA greenroom airlocks and half the place was the few government trailers and modular homes that made it this deep into the ashlands before the collapse.
>smokes, liquor, cocaine from down south, meth from anyone with access to propane, opioids (also from down south) were for sale, trade, and barter at every storefront
>all of it was easier to get, transport, store, and sell than the corn or potatoes preppers tried to grow
>legacy seeds
>ha
>monsanto buttfucked every factory farmer and the "farmers" who blew the dust off their bones usually couldn't make weeds take root.
>a few managed to recreate chattel slavery and started neo feudal states but the fact that post ashland america had 6 guns per person usually led to a quick robinhoodesque end to most of them in days, let alone years. What followed wasn't usually better or more stable.
>Spam that expired in 2023 should still be edible until the mid 2030's so I'm still sitting pretty

do me next!
(It's from a previous thread, but I haven't had the time to follow up yet)

He's a disgrace. He's covered in ash head to toe. His hair and beard are a long dank scraggly mange. His uniform, the uniform of our nation, is hardly recognizable, so squalid is its condition. His nails are dark black to the quick. Worst of all, he's stinking up my command tent.
Why was he here? Recovered deserters are a common enough occurence that the men know the procedure: summarily shoot, shovel, forget. Usually come crawling back after a night alone in the ash. Strength in numbers, engrained on the human psyche and all that. When my First Sergeant tells me I should hear the man's story, I listen; what kind of officer doesn't heed his 1st Sergeant? Bad ones, ones who received their commission from nepotistic deals, not merit, colonel's sons. No nepotism here, pure meritocracy for me.
Whatever his yarn, it must have been powerful, to sway such a grizzled noncom into a stay of execution. The men are spooked, but on the second month of a quarter long deployment to a patrol base hundreds of miles from friendly support, they should be.
Let's hear this sad sorry raving starving lunatic out and end this business. I send out three privates and a corporal to scratch out a shallow grave in the ash just out of sight of the perimeter wire before entering my command tent, now pungent with the sour smell of unwashed desperate man, for a little shake and howdy.

Attached: 5A26F0DD-7076-4B13-B19E-88F086D41A1B.jpg (1024x827, 144K)

Get a haircut you piece of shit.

>NCR shocktrooper
>cascadia
I wish they went full metal gear solid with a fallout origin story of the Brotherhood of Steel. Just a shitload of enlisted US military and veterans abandoned by their country as the pansy ass enclave fucked off to their oil rig.

Main focus being the rapid degradation of command structure, general order, and mission. Start with stronk disciplined "I will stand in my powerarmor and keep these people out of this damn vault this is my line in the sand" t. rapidly bleaching skeletons post bomb drop.

Whats left of a military base of two gets together and tries to reestablish order in a LA riots x9000 situation and just ends up shooting a lot of fucking civilians.
>fugg

Nastygirls and veterans start rolling up with their families in tow to the base
>mass strain on the MRE, water, and fuel supply
>yes there is still gasoline, we didn't annex those canadian commie fucks for nothing. muh tarsands

>start setting up FOBs at redrockets, truck stops, airports, and fuel depots
>this aggravates the "refugee" population
>half of which are starting to look like fucking george romero zombies
>some of which have fucking laser rifles and fatmans
>start shooting both on sight
>and then giant 9ft tall green fucks start showing up
>shoot them double on sight. from cover if possible.
>this change of ROE makes shit soooooo much fucking easier

>low rads, aren't a fucking cannibal, and can carry a rifle? congrats you're in! Welcome to bootcamp.
>are running around with a golf club and goat skull on your head. Yeah you're taking a bullet.

>end game cutscene of the stick up their ass holy order of the brotherhood of steel relaying their super whitewashed history to new recruits after an entire jarheads meets heartbreak ridge meets vietnam dude weed lol documentary movie about their founding of thier holy order of a bunch of hammered assholes with guns carving thier own existence out of the post nuclear wasteland.

Attached: fallout-3-the-brotherhood-of-steel.jpg (1680x1050, 413K)

Should have said pic unrelated, he just looks Ashlands like (switch the green to grey)
That would be an awesome game though. Way too gritty for Todd, sadly.

Also Virginia here. We'd fight the fuckers. It'd be a square fight so long as we stayed out of their shithole.

Hell yes. Mountain troops and a shipping fleet running down the coast. Also manufacturing Cigarettes.

Attached: image.jpg (2499x3997, 2.41M)