BLACK POWDER THREAD

Guyze, i am thinking about getting into black powder wheel gunnin'. But i have 2 questions.

First is: do you get more violent fire shooting out the sides of the cylinder? This is literally one of the reasons why i want to get into it. After shooting a 4" .357mag i was so fucking impressed by the fire-show that i now want more. Naturally i started looking at .44mags but all the nice stuff from Ruger is super expensive over here in euroland, as are bullets. So then i though....if you get so much smoke from the shit old technology, maybe you would get more fire too? And the Italian reproductions like pic related are like 400$ instead of 2000$ i would pay for Ruger that costs 1100$ in USA.

Second question is recoil, if i load it up to max recommended powder amount, from what I've seen in Paul Harell's video you get some serious soda jug killing power. I liked the .357 recoil but i want more violence, so can i get it to kick like .44mag?

So that's it, will the Uberti 1858 New Army .44 shoot more visible flame than .357 and will it kick more? If not, I'll just save up for a normal .44 magnum. Don't tell me to watch a video because cameras are too slow to capture it, that's why i was so impresses ed with the fire show when i rented a .357, because your eyes see what a normal camera does not and i had no idea it was so fiery.

Otherwise, black powder thread whatever.

Attached: revolver3[1].jpg (722x480, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it wont kick but the fire/smoke will be badass
BP guns dont really kick very much
have a 50cal flintlock kicks the same as my AR

No kick eh...hmmm. OK, but there is more fire you say, not just smoke?

not really to be honest
BP burns faster than smokeless

As far as fire goes honestly probably not any more than a modern gun.
The smoke definitely gives it extra theatrics, and honestly nothing else is like gold old black powder. As fro recoil, honestly it depends on the bullet weight and charge of powder. Kind of like shooting slugs from a shotgun.

Quick aside, but anyone know where I can get find super cheap or even broken flintlocks? I'm really not flush with cash and like project guns. And I kind of hate buying caps for my percussion guns.

Attached: babyflint.jpg (448x334, 63K)

Good luck, you can check out gunbroker or armslist but that will mostly be boomers and other assholes expecting top dollar for a spanish 1970s replica of a brown bess they claim was used by Washington himself.

Muzzleloaders are often as expensive as modern firearms unless you buy Pietta revolvers when they are on sale. Cabela's has them on sale right now, got an 1858 brass frame from them last week.

You will also need to harden the frizzens too. As long as you don't mind that then flintlocks are fun. Personally I prefer percussion.

>it wont kick but the fire/smoke will be badass
You can solve both these problems by using smokeless powder. Most modern produced black powder pistols can take it

this desu senpai, it's a secret of the trade.

Are wes sure of this? youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0

Especially Pietta revolvers, they have the proof markings to show for it.

You're cute. Why not recommend he grow some crystals using bleach and muriatic acid while you're at it.

looks like this faggot did it wrong.

I already own 3 1858s. I feel like a gun hipster who has to keep going further back on the technology timeline. The 19th century just dont do it for me anymore. Boomers are primarily who I've run into. Even some used indian repros get stupid high prices for what they are.

I'm a hobbyist knife maker and metal worker, so that shouldnt be too hard for me. I do still appreciate percussion, but when I have to pay $20 hazmat shipping to get a $10l tin of caps it gets kinda old.

The trick is to use a slow burning smokeless powder. That faggot probably used varget or some shit

dont listen to this retard any black powder gun you will buy will say DO NOT USE MODERN SMOKELESS POWDER you can put black powder into smokeless guns but not the other way around

I almost bought a percussion cap wheel gun in Gettysburg this year. Had to talk myself out of it. Kind of wanted to pirate carry and be like, “I don’t need a permit for shit”. It also looks fun to shoot. It was a .45 or .44 revolver for $295. Did I miss an opportunity or did I dodge an overpriced item?
It was a minders replica, not an antique. Trying to remember more information.

Understandable, and considering you have that skillset then it seems that flintlock is the lock for you. I didn't know caps required hazmat, I can readily find them at local walmarts or gun stores so I have never had to purchase them online or from a catalog.

You're also correct about those boomers and the ridiculous prices on Indian muskets. Some of those Indian guns are only wallhanger tier and in my opinion should cost more than $100 if they cannot be fired. Keep looking around on sites like gunbroker and armslist though, you can sometimes find some interesting pieces. If you have an LGS that is old school mom and pop shop type of place, you might be able to find some cool trade in muzzle guns like I find at mine sometimes. I agree with you on regressing with the technology too, I like single shot pistols more than the revolvers, I think they have more variety and I would like to get myself a matchlock some time soon too.

>t. i don't understand basic phy7sics
Just don't exceed the burst pressure

>super cheap or even broken flintlocks
you can get away with a cheap percussion but not so with a flintlock. how much can you spend? you can get a kit by Jim Kibler with stock that is completely CNC inlet with only minor fitting needed and it comes with a Chamber's lock and Rice swamped barrel for 1k. he has a southern mountain kit and colonial kits from .32 to .58.

The gun market in California is abysmal for modern guns and virtually non existent for muzzleloaders.
Pretty much all supplies and tools I need have to be sourced online, and it comes with its own bullshit in exchange for less paper work.

I've toyed with building my own matchlock from scrap. I'd love to have a repro tanegashima teppo (not a weeb) and the mechanism is the simplest of all firearms.

Attached: handgonne.jpg (878x304, 63K)

>burst pressure
Quit talking out of your ass
BP and Smokeless powder have wildly differing pressure curves. The speed at which smokeless powder reaches the same pressure as black powder is what makes it dangerous for most muzzleloaders.
Even if the smokeless doesnt turn your gun into a grenade today, it could tomorrow, but one thing is for certain, it will eventually cause a catastrophic failure.

My budget is about as low as you'd guess.
I know it's a stretch trying to find any gun for $100 or less but believe it or not I've gotten lucky. It's definitely a waiting game though.

Can you even hunt in California with round balls now seeing as lead was banned for hunting?

It was probably a Pietta of which I own 3 and they are fun. Would have been worth it, you should have bought one. Having said that, $295 is an overpriced brick and mortar price for a Pietta brass frame (I assume it was brass at that price). You can buy those same Pietta brass frame wheel guns from Cabela's or Dixie Gun Works for less. Many of them are on sale at Cabela's right now for $180 or $250 for the gun plus the starter kit (all your BP tools like powder flask and measure, screwdrivers etc.)

I actually want one of those Tanegashima too and I am also not a weeb. Dixie gun works had 3 Tanegashima repros for sale back in winter but they were going for $1100 which I just cannot do for a primitive weapon. I've been wanting the pistol in your pic too for some time. I figured the gun market of any sort in CA was going to be garbage. I live in the northern half of New England where we don't have any real gun laws so I can easily get modern stuff, but I have lots of options for black powder too fortunately.

I don't hunt, but they've probably killed muzzleloader hunting in the state. At least with more traditional arms. If I'm honest, banning lead for hunting wasn't a bad idea. Our state's ecosystem is so fucked and fragile.
Some hunters will have to switch over to inline muzzleloaders with sabot rounds if they havent already, but I'd be willing to bet most of them already were.

I also forgot, you can source just about all your materials from Dixie Gun Works. Track of the wolf might help too.

Not true, you just need multiply the ratio of black powder by its pyrodex equivalent then divide by two in order to find out how many grains of smokeless you need.

BP x Pyrodex /2 = Smokeless.

back in winter I was lucky enough to get myself a used (but essentially brand new) Traditions Pursuit G4 for $95. They typically go for $300+

Yeah any teppo repros I've come across are priced so high because it's a very specific niche.
I know it would be anachronistic, but I'd love a pistol like that one but with the lever trigger and a flint lock mechanism. It's got great aesthetics.

About the only time there's a black powder market here is when I go to this reenactment festival on the 4th of july. Some vendors sell bp guns. No paperwork, no bs. But it's only 2 days out of the year.

That's unfortunate but cool there are vendors there and that the state hasn't shut it down. I'm surprised Cali is still letting black powder off the hook.

>I've toyed with building my own matchlock from scrap.
ya need to go all in if you do

Attached: b88a3dc8cc802b53a335b00cd64fa143.jpg (559x295, 11K)

California is weird. Our lawmakers really do abide by the "out of sight out of mind" principle. No one really uses black powder for anything malicious. So no one cares.

Does anybody know where I can get a 1841 Mississippi rifle for cheap that is really accurate? I want to make a build of a palmetto rifle.

No reason they couldn't make an exception for traditional muzzleloaders. The number of people that hunt with them was probably so small the lead wouldn't matter. Now Cali is just disenfranchising black powder shooters.

True enough, the ban was mostly aimed at people who hunt game birds and fisherman. Muzzleloader hunting is probably such a small percent its effects are negligible

Second reminder, stupid cheap Walkers on Jewbroker.

Attached: zcamera-20180623_090027.jpg (683x1026, 165K)

How much?

anyone know a company who can convert em to 45 black powder magnum

Don't know much about all those cartridge conversions or the myriad of guns that survived the BP to smokeless transition huh. Dont forget smokeless BPE

Check out Dixie Gun Works

were they the ones doing 1855 root repros or were they just selling, i want an 1855 root rifle real bad

I did read an article that years ago some Chinese lady in San Fran bought a cap and ball to off herself with and so there were brief talks of putting a 3 day wait on BP guns. Luckily for you, it seems Cali politicians forgot about it.

Not sure, just check out their website and see what they've got. I am a BP pistol guy so I don't really browse their long guns, but have a look, they have a wide variety.

> Italian reproductions like pic related
> Post Ruger old army
You had one job OP

Anybody with a lathe or drill press

bump

Attached: 55RootsRevolvingRifle.jpg (700x165, 19K)

*chain fires your forward hand*

*bore butters externally*

With current prices, for flitlocks project guns just buy a kit and build one for yourself.

OP might be a faggot but that's no reason to try and kill him user.

Attached: 716.jpg (680x841, 55K)

Nigga read

t.uncle rukus

One day some idiot will actually listen to that and blow themselves up.

and we shall shitpost about it for years to come

Question:
I recently bought a cylinder for my 1851 Navy, and when I put it on I noticed that when the I cock the hammer, there is some resistance when it revolves and sometimes it will jam the hammer. My other cylinder I own works perfectly fine. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the heads(?) on the cylinder ratchet are thicker than the ones on my original cylinder, which is probably the cause of the resistance and jamming.

I don't know a thing about gunsmithing or anything, but would it be a good idea to just take a needle file and just file off that extra metal little by little?
Pic related is just a reference.

Attached: 1851NR005A_2.jpg (800x600, 39K)

Anyone know how to summon Gropey to a thread? I got questions for an actual professional.

Attached: Clownfag matchlock.jpg (600x385, 51K)

Go for it, just be prepared to buy a new cylinder if you fuck it up.

did you order the cylinder for the brand of revolver you have? because pietta and uberti are different

Attached: 1513855619034.png (1080x845, 1.01M)

>pic
Get my side by side

Wrong.

I did

>And I kind of hate buying caps for my percussion guns.
buy a roll of toy caps, the plastic ones fit on #10 & #11 nipples, and the paper ones can be put in foil to make diy caps

Anyone know what kind of gun he's using?