Rhodesian/South African FAL value?

I'm talking to a guy who says he has an FAL with South African marks on it, the top cover appears to have a Rhodie serial, and otherwise the receiver is Coonan with an unused Belgian barrel. Only two known issues are a missing muzzle device and the barrel needs to be headspaced/timed. What do you guys think this is approximately worth and what should I be looking for to verify this is Rhodie/SA? Pic related is what I believe to be a Rhodie serial from the rifle.

Attached: image5.jpg (2016x1512, 621K)

I hear Rhodesia is lovely this time of year. If anyone's interested I saw a guy selling what he says is an L1a1 on armslist for $875, would go well here

Absolutely worthless. I’ll take one for the team and take it off your hands for you though

Does nobody actually have any idea? I've tried to get into the FAL Files but I'm still waiting for my account to be approved by a moderator.

Attached: paypal.jpg (1686x409, 139K)

What would you even use a knife in the woods for

There are more than a few fakes out there.

I'm not saying yours is, but chances are if he doesn't know the value of it already or the history of the rifle then it's probably a regular FAL that someone did a bit of "work" on.

Full Rhodesian kits without the receiver I've seen go for 1.2-2k on gunbroker

Do you know proofs? He sent me pics of the markings and unfortunately the only one I recognize is the RA serial number. There's also one that looks like a p in a circle and a two pronged trident.

He's selling it for $1600 which I figure is a decent deal for an FAL period with a new receiver and unused barrel, but he's claiming parts are Rhodesian and South African with a Belgian barrel so I just want to verify

Circle P is the South africa pretoria manufacture mark and the UM (the trident looking mark I think youre seeing) is the south african military mark. Its probably legit. Ive had a few Rhodesian kits in the past. Back in the early 2000s, you could get full rhodesian for around 200, before the Bush war became popular in the US and before the receivers were really available

The P makes sense, though I'm looking around and thought I saw Pretoria was more of a crest than a circle. Either way though, pretty sure it's not the UM since pic related is the trident I'm talking about

Attached: image4.jpg (2016x1512, 645K)

I think that's an Argentinian barrel stamp. They're still good barrels but probably not original to the rifle. Though Rhodesian sometimes kits tend to be mixed with some replacement parts

After googling argentine fal barrels I'd agree with you, thanks. Out of curiosity where do you learn all of this? I was looking around for some kind of guide or database that pools this stuff together for the fal and couldn't find anything. Is it just gradually accumulated over time?

>I was looking around for some kind of guide or database that pools this stuff together for the fal and couldn't find anything
maybe we should make a pastebin or something?There's been lots of people asking about FALs lately

Mostly just accumulated over time. I used to buy a ton various kits as they were made by so many different countries, and each variant has many small differences and features. Check out the FAL Files forum if you're interested in learning about some of the specific details and history of each of the different variants. Mishaco also has some cool vids on some of the different variants.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Unfortunately I'm new to them so I can only research what other people know. Also, based off of what I've already shown you in terms of markings ( which also just to be clear, he's billing this as a Rhodesian/SA/Belgian mix STG58) and considering that it has a Coonan receiver but also that it needs to be headspaced and timed what do you think a fair price for this rifle is?

I thought you were the other guy, my mistake. I'd appreciate your take on

Its not a bad deal since it comes with the receiver. Building fals isnt too hard and the barrel timing shouldnt take too much work. usually just needs a small amount of shimming or sanding, and theres a lot of info on the web on how to do it. I also think its a fun experience seeing the final result

Sounds good, thanks

If you're still around then maybe you have insight to this proof. It's the same barrel but opposite side

Attached: image1.jpg (1588x1596, 391K)

The S may be a FN controller stamp as the plant in Argentina was contracted out by FN to produce the parts. Not too sure about the others on the barrel flats, but it could be just an inspection stamp. Try posting it on the FAL files forum, and they may have a better idea on those.

That's about what I figured. Unfortunately though while I've signed up for the fal files I haven't been approved yet.