Decisions Thread

Ok Jow Forums

We all got that one firearm in mind for the next purchase, and with every choice there is indecision. What have you been looking at and why?

I'm looking at the Smith and Wesson Model 10. I have a small and basic firearm collection, and I think a .38 Special revolver would be a great addition. I appreciate a good looking gun, and I also want there to be some history to it. Not necessarily the pistol I get, but the heritage and the history behind the model of pistol. The Model 10 was introduced in 1899 and used extensively by military, police, and civilian customers, and is one of the most famous revolvers of the 20th century. I wish they still offered it with the standard barrel (non-bull barrel) but the modern variant still look great and can now handle +P. I have smaller hands so I cannot use very large handguns, so I'll have to find one in a store and see how it feels. Any thoughts or experience with the Model 10?

Attached: S&W Model 10.jpg (500x500, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a great pistol. I sold my dad a model 12, which is an aluminum version of the model 10. Don't listen to the wonderninefags who tell you revolvers are obsolete. Revolvers are as good today as they've ever been.

Just snagged four pre-lock Smith and Wessons (Model 66, 64-3, 60, and a rebuilt 36) from a Rock Island auction. Picked up dies for .38 as well. I'll post pics when I get them.
Indeed. Wheelguns best.

ive been on the fence about 300 blackout. i have a 30 cal can pending and i reload so thats not really an issue. the issue is the idea of shooting another caliber- having a few thousand rounds of ammo on hand, having to stock up on reloading components, and then theres buying a gun in that caliber. i currently shoot 13 calibers (although about half i dont shoot regularly) so im hesitant

If you have literally anything in 7.62x39 already, then do not bother with 300blk.

>t. I did this song and dance a year ago.

I am thinking about getting a nice shotgun in the next few years.
Shot some sporting clays on the weekend and I was pretty good with my 12 gauge Merkel 201e, hitting an average 90%. Also realized just how bloody well that gun fits me.
That was when I decided that, if I am to buy another O/U shotgun, it would have to be either a Merkel 203c or a 303c which are the sidelock versions of the 201e.
These were once about the highest class weapon one could get their hands on in Germany, even costing more than your standard Opel station wagon in the 30s.
It has pretty much everything that makes a break action appeal to me: Steel lockbox, "Shell" type reciever reinforcement, manual tang safety, double triggers and a Kersten locking mechanism.
The stock is the main attraction for me, though. With the cheekpiece, it just wants to fly onto your cheek and swing that bead onto the nearest bird/clay/rabbit.
As the saying goes: "The barrels shoot, the stock hits".

Either that or a DSA SA58 21" with wood furniture.

The S&W looks solid, albeit I would not go with a .38 these days.

Attached: Merlkel_Bockdopelflinte_303E_Arabeske_li_01.jpg (1920x655, 64K)

My next purchase is going to be an HK P2000sk, but I'm trying to decide between a Ruger LCRx in 22lr or a 7-shot Ruger GP100 in 357mag. I know the GP100 would be more practical in general but I also know I'd be shooting the LCRx a hell of a lot more since I have so much 22lr already.

Nice! With so many polymer 9mm autoloaders sometimes its nice to see a proper revolver again. It just as a nice look and feel to it. Admittedly, I like the older look of the pre-1960 model 10s (pic related) for their standard barrel but I like the +P option and the peace of mind of a new pistol.

Very cool, I'd like to see them

Looks and sounds like a fine shotgun! The .38 Special has been a proven round for over a hundred years, and while the standard pressure .38 may be a little softer than a 9mm, it will do the job well enough. The bull barrel on the later Model 10s are rated to +P so if I was loading it for more of a defensive situation I have more powerful options available.

Attached: S&W Model 10 early.jpg (640x359, 38K)

Been wanting to pick up a cheap handgun recently to CC and recreational use, and it's down to these three for me.
I've heard Taurus has gotten a bad rap, but I've seen good things about these ones. I put the M206 because it's a cheaper revolver than the Taurus one, but I've heard some questionable things about it, while I only hear good things about the Taurus guns (other than the pistol having a long trigger pull).
Also the prices seem higher than you might see on some websites because this is the price for a shop near me, would rather buy locally than online.

Attached: gunZ.png (2389x789, 1.14M)

Glock 29 10mm
Pros:
10mm power
Compact
Glock

Cons:
Some say too wide for inside the waistband cc
Recoil
Low mag capacity
Glock

Attached: images(6).jpg (264x191, 8K)

Pros: Chad

Cons: Will make virgins jealous

Attached: lox2.png (1598x1328, 1.52M)

PS90
Pros:
A most excellent meme
Can stamp to make barrel the correct length

Cons:
S/A
long ass-barrel ruins the crucial MEME AESTHETICS

Attached: PS90.jpg (1800x750, 100K)

A pro to that long barrel is that you will get some serious muzzle velocity which is the entire point of that ammo.

There are tons, TONS, of good condition model 10s without mim hammer/trigger or Hillary holes. Do not buy the classic series one, the bluing isn’t great and the trigger has nothing on an older model 10.

Also, don’t worry about +P unless you’re going to carry the thing. Older model 10s (from the 60s and 70s on) are perfectly fine for occasional +p use. You might also want to consider the model 15.
Neither are all that practical, and a 22 snub revolver is just badass. Only downside is 8 holes to clean is a bit of a pain

If your that dead set on a Taurus then definitely go the wheel gun route, much more likely to go bang when you need it. I STRONGLY would recommend spending a little more and getting a Bersa BP9cc for $300
>thin as fuck
>comfy to grasp, 3 finger real estate
>8+1
>one of the BEST striker fired triggers on the market
>much better track record of reliability
Please just look into this user

Attached: F5839C8C-36B5-482D-BB50-513309D3E840.jpg (1000x666, 305K)

Try one out at the range with proper 10mm ammo not that warmed over 40 bullshit. Sig 10 is hot and should be easy to find. See how you deal with the recoil, if you can still manage quick follow up shots and not flinch after say, 100 rounds go for it. 10+1 of 600+ ft ilbs 180 grain slugs is plenty to take down any group of redguard. It is definitely thick, but with the short grip and slide OWB would be the ticket. Get a good leather pancake holster and you will be in business.

Only buy when you’ve gotten enough cash for both the gun and the stamp and the work to cut the barrel down or second barrel. The meme is most definitely excellent but not with the 18”

Thanks for the recommendation, will consider. I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality.

I have been looking at pocket pistols for self defense, none in particular, but I want something really small, reliable, while still feeling like a real gun.

I want something for pocket carry, as concealed as possible, so either a .22lr, .25acp or .32acp.

Leaning towards the .25acp since that would make for a smaller gun compared to .32acp, and while less powerful than some .22lr ammo, it's more reliable.

I have a j-frame, but that's just a bit uncomfortable for pocket carry, really bulky and heavy for the pants and shorts I wear.

I've recently tested a friend's jetfire in .25acp wich was REALLY cool, but I couldn't snag it off of him.

Currently waiting to see if I can close the deal on a fn 1906, so that's also cool, unfortunately I don't think I'll want to carry one in the chamber, so that's something to think about, also, I don't want to wear a holster of any sort.

To be honest, anything that can handle a full mag of ammo if I ever need to and can handle all the wear and tear of daily pocket carry is cool.

Either get a .357 model 10 or spring for a .38 spl with more character. I've got a 13-4 and it's great but I also really want an old police .38 like pic related. Everything about it just screams style and fun range trips.

Attached: file.png (600x326, 294K)

Just here to remind you all that the Registered Magnum will always be one of the most aesthetic wheelguns in existence.
And none of us will probably ever own one.

Attached: regmag-1.jpg (508x271, 72K)

>.357
>Model 10

um.......

First handgun is a toss up between a S&W 5906 or Beretta 92s.
Not gonna be CC'ing so the weight/size isn't an issue

Seecamp 32 are small as fuck and still pretty shootable. Very reliable if you use one of the many ammo choices specified on their website, no safety to deal with and safe to carry with a loaded chamber

That honor belongs to the very rare 3” model 19. Sorry fren

Attached: 5622DB7F-EFAC-471E-834B-E4E249A097C0.jpg (1024x567, 81K)

5906 for sure

a .38 snubnose with the hammer

I need a pocket gun and just like revolvers. I know a hammer less model would be better but I really want the hammer. People have carried hammer models before, so im not worried. My range kind of sucks and I couldnt hit shit with my last snubbie but I want to try again

Attached: smith and wesson cheifs special.jpg (550x354, 34K)

a compact 9mm 1911. I already own a government model .45 but I want a new carry gun. I live in a cucked state with 10 round mag limit so as much as I want something bigger id be paying msrp (or over it because lol MA taxes) for essentially a neutered gun. Im looking at single stacks and my best option seems to be a 1911

Attached: colt lightweight commander 1911.jpg (1000x667, 30K)

OP here bois

I went into my local gun store and held a S&W Model 10, used in very good condition. It comes with a couple speed loaders and a holster for $369, Y/N?

Yeah, sure

My main defensive handgun is a .32acp, I want something smaller and lighter, and I don't want a holster.

I think I'm set on a .25acp, but thanks for the suggestion.

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago. I ended up picking up a Charter Undercover on a trade for a comparable cost. It was a good decision. Side by side the charter is the better weapon.

Sounds about right. I got pretty much the same package (gently used police trade-in model 10, two speedloaders, speedloader pouches, and holster) from AIM for $300 a few weeks ago, came out to $350 with shipping+transfer. So $370 in a store isn't bad.

3 or 4 inch? cool gun, go for it.

I'm looking for a first gun, if I go the scattergat route, I'm having a hard time choosing between a maverick 88 and a 500, which is more expensive by a slight margin. If I go the rifle route, I'm having a hard time picking between Enfields. Not sure whether to go for a No.1 Mkiii* or a No.4 Mkii. Also might try my luck with used ones that have had scopes mounted, seeing if there's any way of restoring them to a decent state. Pic related is an atrocity I spotted.

Attached: 20180621_155944.jpg (4032x3024, 3.5M)

That's all a matter of why you want it

Ive made the choice to get a .40

I have 9mms, a .357, a .38 and a .45. Im thinking just a glock 22 or 23. thoughts?

Attached: glock .40s.jpg (1350x900, 242K)

Don't.

halp
choosing between my first handgat (under my name) choice being a jericho 941 in 45 or a S&W 586 4 inch.
what should I get, I'm open to other options as well

Attached: 1529066532201.jpg (1024x1024, 162K)

You need to give some more details, what are you looking to do with it? Carry, home defense, plink at the range, etc

A bolt-action or derringer / small-frame revolver in .22 Magnum. Can't decide.

I love .22 LR. I've never tried magnum rimfire, but shit looks incredibly fun. Seems like a .22 Mag rifle would be a nice walking around gun for bunnies, and a slightly bigger rimfire handgun sounds like a killer range pistol / hiking gun.

I know it's too expensive for what it is compared to .223, but dang it looks like a good time.

just HD, Im a college student getting my own place soon. maybe the occasional carry but I dont see it happening often

Thinking of picking up a .22 handgun. It will be my second firearm, my first being a .22 rough rider. I want a .22 so I can practice my aim without breaking the bank on bullet. I'm thinking of the Ruger Mark IV Standard. Anyone have any experiences with this gun, or recommendations of a different .22 handgun?

Attached: Ruger Standard.jpg (500x500, 19K)

i would avoid a 22mag in a pistol unless all you want is more muzzle flash.
ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
out of a 4 in barrel you are looking at in incresse of about 50-200fps.
vs out of a rifle you would see about 800+fps.

why not just use the rough rider?

For me a home defense gun should have the ability to attach a light, so I'd start there.

It’s a good gun. The only issues I have are the takedown pin in the back behind the bolt ears likes to walk a bit, and the front sight is dark so I painted it white. The trigger is fine, it isn’t nearly as bad as people like to say (they’re shilling for volquartzen triggers but the stock one is fine). They don’t like real cheap ammo but hell CCI mini mags are maybe a cent more expensive so whatever. It feels really comfortable in the hand and is a joy to shoot. The takedown is simple and easy, cleaning takes no time at all.

Attached: F3DFA692-32AC-4F6D-9F51-ABEE513D087D.jpg (2048x1536, 650K)

My favorite gun hands down is my model 10 police trade in. Simple, accurate, fits my hand perfectly, good to take noobz to the range with, wonderful trigger, mine came with nice aftermarket grip, got it for around $300, don't know if they're still commonly found at that price, but if so an excellent value. I highly recommend one

(Before you judge my taste the two on the right aren't mine)

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.25M)

Thinking about getting one too, OP.
It's a legendary gun and absolutely beautiful. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

Attached: 1513030275760.jpg (500x478, 43K)

>model 10
>.357

Attached: 1409320722807.gif (245x285, 916K)

Fuck I meant 13

Attached: Angry.png (1070x601, 463K)

I want baby's first 1911 with a budget of $800.
I want novak-type sights, not-stainless, an adjustable trigger, skeletonized hammer, and extendo beavertail + grip safety. Ambi safety welcomed, but a one-handed extended safety is fine.

Should I get a Para Elite? There are still a few new ones floating around on gunbroker and I heard they were great for the money.
I'm also open to other suggestions within that range.

>redguard

das raycis xDDD

lol jk, epic W I N, i lold

just get a 500----worth the *slight* upcharge.

you won't have to think about how poor you are everytime you go to the range. and a lil more peace of mind with reliability. as well as just the confidence of "mossberg" over "maverick"

>inb4 same brand
ik

Remington's 1911s from Huntsville are pretty good. I'd look at those in your search, as well as the usual stuff.

Para, I'd pass on. Remington has quietly released a lot of Para equivalents that might work for you.

I have a Limited singlestack and it's good to go. Remington's factory magazines are actually Checkmates, which doesn't hurt either. Full disclosure, I use McCormicks in my gun because I like them.

How do I know if they're from Huntsville?
I looked into Remingtons a little bit since I heard they ate Para and started making their guns but cheaper, but the Remington brand itself worries me.

Ruger PC or a shotgun. Semi-auto shotgun seems cool for fucking off. Any suggestions?

Wife is going to use the RR when we go shooting together. I also want something else that's a little quicker to fire than a single action revolver that can't take a speed-loader.

Cool. That's more or less in line with what I've heard before. I've yet to see anyone badmouth the trigger like you mentioned, but I'm still new to Jow Forums.

My other consideration was something that fires .38 special, but that's just because I like different kinds of ammo. That's the only real reason I'm considering it, that and VtM:B. Pic related is in my budget.

Attached: Smith & Wesson Model 637 .38 Special +P Revolver.jpg (500x500, 20K)

Well, It's obvious to me that you are choosing a firearm based on style, and there's nothing wrong with that, but, being your defensive handgun, I'd say go with function over looks.

I started with revolvers, because that's what I happened to have at the time, but I just prefer pistols, It's a matter of personal preference.

I own both for self defense, but, if I could only have one, I'd certainly get a pistol, take that into consideration.

I also guess you're not really set on these two specific models, so I'd tell you to get a 9mm cz75 or a browning hi-power, maybe even a beretta 92, if you want something a little bit different.

As far as revolvers go, I've had a 2.5" 686, the thing was just too big and bulky for a defensive gun, and I'm not a small guy, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Get yourself a nice 4" k-frame model 19/66 if you're set on a .357, If not, a 3" or 4" model 64 will work just as good, for a bit less money.

One thing you've got to consider is the lower capacity on revolvers, but that's about it.

If I had to make the call, I would get a cz 75 bd in 9x19.

That is, of course, unless a beretta 92 f/fs came through for much cheaper, or, if you want two guns and if you don't mind the european style release on these cheap milsurp 92s models, that would leave you room to buy a second gun, like a 4" taurus model 82 in .38spl

Look into some of CZ’s .22lr bolt actions, they make some great rifles

Me too. It would be my first firearm and i am looking for something accurate. I plan to put on a 3-12x scope or higher.

Attached: medium_403111184-wts-wtt-cz-455-trainer-sac-stockton-1483231966-4-0045-6106.jpg (800x300, 86K)

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Talo intruded SR1911

I’ve got a CZ 527M in .223 and I really enjoy the thing. I hear only good things about their rimfire line, and they look great too. At the risk of sounding like a fudd I’d suggest getting good with the iron sights first, then progressing to a scope. The irons on their rifles are pretty nice

You don't sound like a fudd my friend.
I already own an air rifle and i am good with iron sights at short ranges but my eyesight is very poor so i doubt i would hit anything at 100 meters or 110 yards

All Remington 1911s and 2011s are made in Huntsville now - unless you are looking at really old stock, it'll say Huntsville on the frame. All of the guns they've reintroduced that are Para equivalents (the Limited, Tactical, etc) are Huntsville guns and were never made in Ilion, so that'll tell you as well.

I'd stay with their singlestacks. Remington is still using Para-style magazines for their doublestack guns. Their singlestacks are pretty good in .45 Auto, the doublestacks by nature are going to be finickier.

Occasionally you'll see one-off parts marked Para Ord because they had leftover handfuls of old parts on the small-batch guns - or, at least the LPA-made rear sight on my Limited was like that. I didn't care if Para stamped their name on an LPA sight, personally.

Remington deserves most of the heat they get but their 1911s are pretty decent.

They are great pistols.

Bump

OP here, I went ahead and found a Model 10! Looks to be in good shape, finish shows minor age-related wear and it was a Dept. of Corrections firearm too. Can’t wait to get to the range

Attached: 7264E80E-7E82-474E-B1F2-E6A4472C3786.jpg (2048x1536, 747K)

Can it handle +P rounds?

You bet!

Attached: 4A88B813-03A5-448D-A9EB-E766089B534F.jpg (3264x2448, 1.23M)

You snagged a great one. Love the stamp on it.
Take a pic of the other side!

Other side

Attached: D641CD54-3566-4BF2-A61D-C2A9BF83810F.jpg (2048x1536, 715K)

That is art.

>Want a general purpose innawoods/fighting gun

I’m trying to decide between a Gucci AR like an FN15 or a Colt 6920, or an AK74 copy like an SLR104 or a converted Vepr.
I really, really want the AK for its ergonomics and big controls, and I’m a huge fan of the 5.45. I already have an AK in 7.62x39 so I’m definitely going with 5.45. But I’m also considering an AR because of ammo availability.
Are AKs even considered fighting guns anymore or are they just range toys now? It seems like most modern ARs will do everything an AK can do without much difference.

Uberti walker

Looking at getting a higher end di ar, indecision between lwrc, ddv4, pof renegade, or bcm reese they're all around the same price point and this will be my last di ar.

Nice, the one I got from AIM looks pretty much identical, also a DOC tradein.

One question I have about mine is that I noticed that each chamber in the cylinder was numbered 1-6 in electropencil. Does anyone have any idea why they would do this?

DD or BCM

Jericho 941

However finding full sized 4.4” isn’t easy. Unsure if 3.8 ruins the aesthetics.

Suggestions?

Attached: 94462576-35B3-497C-95E8-79DDC89575C8.jpg (900x600, 163K)

Wanted this gun ever since pink loli. Buy it and sbr it as fast as possible

Attached: 016B9FDC-AAC8-4A8E-AC91-D8132205380C.jpg (1146x810, 131K)

i asked my father what are his thoughts on me buying pic related. he said that thing looks ugly as sin, laughed then shook his head. do i buy it user?

Attached: chode revolver.jpg (550x550, 21K)

Ak's never get obsolete, If that's what you want, def. go for it.

More of a fan of the wooden handle myself, looks more aesthetic, or the chrome plated one for short barrel.

Don’t fall for the exploding meme.

Also, be aware you will need to adjust grip or get used to gas release coming from revolver. Since it shoots from lower portion, the gas release can burn the hand.

Overall, fun gun. If you can afford out the shekels and don’t want any other purchases I would grab one

Marlin 45-70, 300 meme out pistol/45 or 10mm pcc pdw, .300 winmag somethin er other, and no yokes.. definitely gonna get one of those Kentucky long rifle kits. I might get the kentucky long rifle before anything else. Blunderbuss kit would be hilarious, I wouldn't put it past me to get one

Torn between a stoeger coach gun supreme, surplus Beretta 92s and a .22lr lever action for the next gun. Got all my bases covered for practical stuff, just want something fun

Attached: coach-gun-supreme-shotgun-blue_1_0.png (2000x704, 429K)

I was looking at them but they seem pretty expensive right now, and I remember them being closer to $700 before. Is $800 the proper price for one or is there just a shortage right now?

Thanks user. I'll take a look at an Enhanced.