Polearm appreciation thread

A thread to talk about and share art of the ultimate melee weapon

Attached: bandit_by_martianzombie-d7aew5r.jpg (795x1004, 118K)

egad what a noob build

Attached: images (22).jpg (324x454, 5K)

guan dao

Attached: images (27).jpg (220x342, 18K)

Attached: images (25).jpg (452x325, 21K)

Attached: images (26).jpg (314x469, 21K)

The thread is aids, way to go op.

youre aidser

NON NOBIUS DOMINE

In many ways, the heavy slashing polearm was the assault rifle of it's day. Decent range, hard hitting, and extremely versatile.

Attached: Chinese_dagger-axe_and_related_polearms.svg.png (1280x936, 104K)

>not SL99 giant dad

Attached: 1521672594136.gif (300x169, 1.81M)

Is there any other nation in the world that has worshipped the pole-arm more than the Chinese?

Any other civilization jacks off to the sword, literally an useless side-arm in any real battle. Only the Chinese errect monuments to the king of the battlefield: The pole-arm.

Attached: Guan Yu.jpg (990x660, 146K)

>Implying the Gargoyle Halberd isn't a high skill cap weapon of epic proportions
I've killed more hosts through floors and walls than I'd care to admit.

Still in use today

Nothing makes the Kebab fear for their skin than the wolf-teeth club.

Attached: 1Nlqky5.jpg (710x429, 60K)

Pfft, loser wouldn't even scratch my giants armor.

I've laid waste to everything I've came across. The best offensive is solid poise and gmb.

signs of a superior culture

Attached: lord_shen_by_youxiandaxia-d3ipedz.jpg (756x634, 312K)

>Name a glaive created in the 14th century after a 200AD general failure who didn't even use said weapon
Explain this

Well, the IRL Guan Yu probably used a fucking spear or a Ji, like every other chinese soldier out there during that time.

I fucking know that, so why would they name it the guandao if Guan Yu never used it?

Because the romantized novel made him popular in the first place.

Before the Ming Dynasty, noone gave a fuck about Three Kingdoms.

Attached: 46F3E566-5F6E-4218-83A4-396F2586DD68.jpg (500x667, 70K)

The Ji is such a perfect weapon holy shit.

No wonder the Bill became the go-to weapon for the European merc since the 14th century.

There were dynasties that tried to legitimize Liu Bei, there was folklore about Zhao Yun before the Three Kingdoms novels were even an idea.

I prefer halberds myself, but the bill is a close 2nd

Guisarmed and dangerous

Attached: 370A342F-7C2D-4818-9EC9-DC594F359601.jpg (423x384, 58K)

Yeah, out of all those classical chinese weapons that shaolin etc had to master, the pole-arms still make the majjority of them.

Attached: old1220185393_90868.jpg (1408x1056, 158K)

All the Guisarmes I've seen look like fucking slabs of metal on a poll

When will they fix the clipping issue on the glaive?

My personal theory about why Asia never developed full plate was that someone asked "Okay, but what about the Ji?" and everyone realizing there's no way in hell you can protect against a dagger ax and scrapped the concept for more affordable armor.

That's actually a design feature. See, the Guandao is so powerful that it's actually cutting into the medium of the artwork.

Yep, especially since those huge armor piercing pole-arms were standard weapons of large standing or even conscripted armies.

Armor really only had to protect against arrows. Against huge pole-arms, you better be more maneuverable.

Those lamellar armor were as heavy as Chinese armor could be.

Attached: 59a8fd363eff7.jpg (1600x1000, 321K)

They had scale armor too.

Yeah but design hardly deviated.

The peak of Chinese heavy armor was Song Dynasty, with the most body coverage, and even then, the armor design was basically "tent-sized coay of small metal plates over chainmail and/or fabric"

Maybe only the "Iron Men" of Koxinga, as depicted by Dutch paintings come close to the Song-era of fully armored heavy infantry.

Attached: Iron Men depiction.jpg (580x388, 34K)

*coat

>The peak of Chinese heavy armor was Song Dynasty, with the most body coverage
>Song dynasty, the first of the three chinese dynasties to fall to foreign invaders

Which is why the later dynasties didnt bother with heavy armor anymore.

Fighting horse nomads requires your own light cavalry, preferably nomad tribes themselves.

And fighting against Japanese pirates and raiders in the South requires specialized light infantry.