Throwing Knives

Hey Jow Forums, how do I get into throwing knives?
I want to pick up a new skill that could be useful, and I thought why not pick up knife throwing?

What should I look for when purchasing a set of throwing knives? Would a shorter knife (5.5-6in.) or a longer knife (8in.) be better? What would the benefit of a heavier vs. lighter knife be?

Attached: Throwing Knife.jpg (225x225, 6K)

The shit in your OP is literally an asian gardening tool not a fucking throwing knife. Watch less Anime.

Step one - don't buy that mall ninja Naruto bullshit.

I just snagged the first picture that came up what would you suggest?

Spend money on name brand knives. Throw them until you're good at it? Not really sure what you're looking to learn here.

What would be a good name brand knife, and what would be better for a beginner, longer/shorter, heavier/lighter?

probably rope

Go full naruto.
Always be dressed like shippuden Sasuke.
Have in Rinnesharingan eyes.
Carry dozens of those fucking knives and practice throwing them in groups.
Batman logic dictates that criminals are superstitious and cowardly, because these are the traits common in mammalian omnivorous predators.
If you throw 3 at a time and 1-2 hit they'll think your actually a trained martial artist instead of simply playing the odds. Just make sure they're sharp, aim for the upper torso, and don't stop throwing.

Attached: IMG_1143.jpg (922x519, 58K)

>skill that could be useful
>knife throwing
Pick one.

There are actual associations and competitions for this and axe/tomahawk throwers. Find what they use. Anything Cold Steel is probably stupid like the OP pic. The Japanese had shuriken of different styles but they're not particularly effective or refined. The whole kunai anime gimmicks and designer throwing stars are silly.

1.Buy any thrower from cold steel
2.Build a nice wood target
3.Practice

>I want to pick up a new skill that could be useful
Then I definitely wouldn't go with knife throwing. It can be fun but it's a parlor trick with no practical use. If you want to learn something new that your teenage or teenage-at-heart self will feel cool about, try lockpicking. You can get a decent set for $20, you can practice anytime including when you're tired from all the actual exercising you should be doing if you really wanna be a cool guy, you can pick up a cheap padlock for five bucks anytime you want a new puzzle to figure out, and your dork friends will be impressed by your stock movie character skill.

Pick a common and durable combat knife thats easy to replace. You are going to break it eventually, Dont fall for the throwing knife meme because your more likely to find a fighting knife and its far more versatile for carry

Learn kali / eskrima.

Way more effective, throwing knifes are a distraction or a way to piss someone off at best.

>a new skill that could be useful
>knife throwing
Pick one

The biggest nails your local hardware store sells with the head cut off. Seriously it's cheaper, the balance is fine and you don't have to care when you lose one.

Its also not a useful skill at all and if you hope to injure anything with a thrown object it better be a very fast rock or a tomahawk

>or a tomahawk
A rock would be better. A tomahawk is an effective weapon that you can throw if you're bored, but it is not an especially effective weapon when thrown.

Already tampered with Lockpicking, user. Did it on some basic locks with bobby pins and paperclips a few times.

Won't argue with that. Hawks and hand axes at least have weight behind them which is why I brought it, besides having a little utility as a tool. Glad I got over them quickly.

Made a one string sling this weekend so that'll be the next project. Should have started it sooner when i still had cartilage in my shoulder

Would slings still be practical in this day and age?

>can a high speed bit of metal/rock still injure or kill someone in this day and age?

Hard to beat for improvised weapon.

Define practical

For varmint or other small bird/game hunting, yes
You could theoretically kill someone with it, but youd need practice to get that good. Imo, just get a hunting-grade slingshot, much lower skill curve with same results

Throwing knives are pleb tier, get throwing nails

This desu, a steel ball moving at 320-600 fps is no joke. Plus some models can be rigged to accept arrows as well

Do not get anything stainless. You want high carbon steel. Look at the Cold Steel Shanghai Warrior...

As in I could whip it out and surprise someone, or it wouldn't take too long to set up. Also what material would be best for it?

it's not useful, but it's fun. just some balanced practice knives.

Shepherds slings are cool but you're not going to hit anything reliably without a lot of practice
What do you even mean "surprise someone?" Like, in a self defense situation? I guess they'd be pretty surprised before they shoot you/crack your head open with a pipe.
You can make them out of pretty much anything, the material matters very little, I'm sure you can find hundreds of instructions on the internet. It's two lengths of string and a pouch.

Look at any Cold Steel throwers. From there, develop your taste and figure out exactly what you want to throw. Over the past four years, I leaned more towards Japanese Mumyou Ryu no-spin rather than Thorn. Now I'm stuck in a world of obscure shuriken and custom makers.

If you actually want to practice a skill, learn non-rotational throwing or long range half-spin. Rotational throwing, until the highest ranges, is not a measure of skill but just gauging distance. It's much more fun learning to slow your rotation more and more as you get further.

Also, everybody should take a look at buzbee blades. He's new, but his stuff is fantastic so far and his prices are fair. He is exactly what Flying Steel was like before he went full greedy jew. Don't support flying steel, he's awful now and gets by due to his previously great reputation.

>throw knife
>lands on the wrong fucking side
>literally a 1/6 possibility for penetration
*blocks your path*

Attached: 0002808_mourning-star-ninja-shuriken_580.jpg (580x580, 102K)

Stop being autistic and you'll find out.

Lies. It is useful as fuck... for winning drunken bar bets.

I think all Asian gardening tools were weapons at one point.

ninjas used two sided devices because not everyone could throw them (back).

>Anything Cold Steel is probably stupid like the OP pic.
Actually most of their throwing stuff is widely recognized as being pretty good you memester. CS deserves to get shit on for 9001 reasons but that ain't one of them.

[citation needed]

Why throw a knife when you can throw a shovel? Cold Steel do a 'special forces' shovel that throws and sticks very well, and can dig a grave afterwards too
>to max out your Jow Forums, buy a slavshit surplus shovel and sheath instead

>I want to pick up a new skill that could be useful
Learn cooking, tanning, stitching, motor maintenance, grouting, plumbing, or a billion other things before "cool shit I saw in anime once."

Already got cooking, tanning and stitching are down the line at some point, learning some motor maintenance from the old man here and there, too busy for grouting, plumbing on the occasion through work.