Rate That Bullet: 30-30

So Jow Forumsommandos. What is your take on the 30 Winchester Centerfire? Reliable cartridge, does the bidness?Of course there is always something better than it, but for the purposes it was built for do you think it is good at what it does?

Attached: 30-30-Ammunition-Ammo-Cartridges-Loads.jpg (1000x596, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YP1NdRu4YpU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes it's good for what it does, it's literally just an American 7.62x39 before 7.62x39 was imvented.

Does anything the bigger boys will do inside of 100 yards with the right bullet.

Durr beware.

jack of all trades.
You can even mess around loading with BP for shits.

It has identical ballistics to .22lr

look it up if you dont believe me

great cartrage,
tube mags keep it from being better but is still great.
i reload it and shoot it for cheep.

was actualy designed for BP.
aka where 30-30 comes from
30 grains of bp behind a 30 cal bullet.

It's not been the go-to round for fudds and rednecks for a hundred years on accident. If you're shooting at 100 yards or under and want a round-nosed bullet in case there's some brush in between you and there, there's no better round, and that describes all of Appalachia.

Right, but people forget that.

Its a great cartridge for cast bullets. Long neck and nearly ideal powder capacity. .30-40 krag would be my first option for .30 cal cast. Great choice for hunting in the eastern woodlands and if I lived in a black bear state I wouldn't be worried about using it on 'em. Only downside is its not durr legal in Ohio 'cause fuck the DNR.

30wcf was the first non bp cartrage aswell if i remember right.
aka modern 30 30

>tfw no 30-30 lee enfield no4

Why god

Attached: 1529783413209.jpg (530x521, 33K)

And a good chunk of the rest of the country. Hell, 45-70 didn't dominate the west because people loved it's long range ballistics. 30-30 will hunt up dinner from coast to coast.

Life isn't fair sometimes friend.

>not durr legal

The fuck? It's the quintessential durr cartridge. What is the Ohio legal limit? fucking 50cal?

Except that's wrong. 30-30 was designed to be smokeless from the get go. 30 grains of early smokeless powder. In fact it's the first Smol bore smokeless American cartridge.

Same with 30-40 krag/govt. It was smokeless from the start.

That is right. As it is one of the big reasons 30-30 got so famous, the first smokeless cartridge for lever gats.

We can't use any bottle neck cartridges. Up until a few years ago we couldn't use cartridge rifles. Now we can use straight walled cartridge rifles. This only applies to deer though. I can shoot squirrels with a .300 win mag if I desired.

I've actually contemplated moving to KY for better hunting opportunities. I only live 10 miles across the river anyway.

I'd do it. That is autism in hunting laws I never thought I could ever hear.

It also got popular because the guns that used it where so good (for sporting use). But it's a good cartridge for hunting.

What fucking retard Fudd wrote that shit?

So what do most people hunt deer with there? 45-70?

Must have some big fucking deer there I guess :^).

I knew a guy from Ohio and he always used shotgun slugs, I guess it was a safety thing because of people in hunting areas

44mag and 357 work well out of a rifle.

Mein gott...

>Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

>A new regulation states shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles used for deer hunting be loaded with no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. The current hunting regulation states a shotgun must be plugged if it is capable of holding more than three shells.

I never knew what the Michiganders were on about but damn. Fuck Ohio.

It's a great cartridge, ballistically superior to 7.62x39 as it reaches the same velocities with heavier bullets. Within 200 yards, it's as good as anything else.

Now I need to make a 30x113mm rifle
>but officer, it's not bottlenecked!

Attached: 30x113 2.jpg (736x1104, 73K)

>No Winchester 1895 in .303 Brit

Attached: CB0AF6C1-5F92-47CE-8508-0E2B5CC519F4.png (311x335, 121K)

But those exist. Rare as hens teeth but exist

>So what do most people hunt deer with there? 45-70?
I currently use a .45 cal flintlock here for deer and a .36 cal for everything smaller. Most people seem to do archery but I'm sure a lot are using .45-70 now.

Deer were almost completely extirpated in Ohio. By 1900 there were basically none in the entire state, and hunting was really heavily restricted as a result. Being a perfect deer environment with no natural predators without too much in the way of a hunting culture, they of course came back eventually, and by the 90s the state was lousy with them, but those regulations are slow to change. Bow hunting is pretty big.

And of course the majority use shotguns during gun season I forgot to add.

Si senor.
youtube.com/watch?v=YP1NdRu4YpU

Attached: 2C440D3B-7C6A-425A-AE9E-741E4EB4F957.jpg (500x500, 48K)

Will take anything in North America and had killed the most game in North America compared to anything else.

>tube mags

That's why hordany made the leverevolution rounds. Plastic tips aren't subjected to damage when being loaded face to ass.

Attached: s7_216159_imageset_03.jpg (400x318, 20K)

I rate it 30/30

Eh it's the only carbine I'm gonna be able to own in California in a few more years.
So unless Jews become bullet proof I'm pretty sure it will do the job.

I think it's less about the tips being damaged and more about the tips setting off the primer of the round in front of it.

Kek.

I never knew these existed. This is why I never read or care about ballistic charts, it changes everyday.

I've never heard of that happening ever. Sounds like a fudds tale.

America/10

You must be new. Welcome to the gun hobby.

It's called a chain ignition,and it is as bad as it sounds.You do NOT use anything but flat tip ammo in a tube fed levergun, youngling.

Not him, but I wonder as well. Any actual video or credible recorded evidence? Cause honestly I have a hard time seeing spitzer bullets being able to set off a primer in a tube setup

^^this nigga is woke^^

will reliably kill just about every North American animal with one shot

has put meat on the table since forever

if it weren't for practice, a box would last me 10 years (2 durr/year, one shot one kill)

source: Winchester 94 ranger in Southside VA, stalking through the pines, no stands, longest shot I ever did was 110 yards, most were in the 80 to 95 yard range

How about the fact that every factory fucking round for leverguns has a big flat meplat on it, and has for more than a hundred years; and that the LeverEvolution rounds have a nice soft composite tip.

If you don't believe it, why don't you get a bunch of round-nose hard-cast .44's and feed them into a Marlin 1895 and work that sumbitch. I'm sure you'll be fine.

You must be summer.

Broofs

>30 Winchester Centerfire
That's the correct name for it. OP is not a faggot.

So no evidence at all?

Shotguns aren't regulated for deer in Ohio besides the usual magazine cap rules. Most people use 870s and Mossman 500s. Some people do use 45-70 or Ruger boltguns in .450 Bushmaster now that it's allowed.

Darwinism in action.

Nice proof trip nigger.

*Laughs in 8mm Lebel*
While spitzer pistol rounds pose a greater chance of chain fire, I believe .30-30 has enough of an overall taper from base to tip to give the cartridges an angle of repose that'd prevent such a phenomenon

Attached: IMG_5097.jpg (500x227, 38K)

They’re pretty common here in Canada senpai. We were really the only market for them apart from AUS.

Look up .30 wcf small game. Try to tell me that ain't the tightest shit ever.

>your deer gun
>is also a rabbit gun

Now a days, 10g of trail boss does the trick

>Within 200 yards, it's as good as anything else.
at 100 yards its as good as anything else, at 200 yards you have about 5 feet of bullet drop

I give it a solid 7/10
Classic, dependable, and accurate to 200 yards. Pure American cartridge.

They had to change the casing on 8mm label to put a ridge around the primer specifically because they knew pointed projectiles can cause Kabooms in a tube under recoil
Even if it's a .1 percent chance I wouldn't fuck with it

So no proof still? Gosh, it's almost like you don't know what you're talking about.
In the article posted this dude had to wack a bullet against a primer with hammer 5-6 times to get it to detonate.

Attached: fuk.jpg (4510x6534, 3.73M)