Burt Rutan Thread

What’s Jow Forums‘s opinion on this man?

Attached: image.jpg (669x768, 299K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tv5dJiPlFO8
youtu.be/SNgNBsCI4EA
jetguys.co/single-post/2017/09/28/Jet-Guys-Canard-Jet-Build-Project
youtube.com/watch?v=mkGbw7QXCOs
youtube.com/watch?v=tTiLmDy-Jy4
youtube.com/watch?v=-xKS9Mo5oYQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Norm McDonald's dad?

Who?

don't know who it is and don't care to find out

Isn't he the fuckface that conspired with Clinton to sell all of the US trajectory technology to China?

The guy behind Scaled Composites , famous for building a bunch of planes backwards and having the Chinese copy them.

He's a legend, but barely Jow Forums at all. He was very influential in shaping modern UAVs and had that one brrtplane but his civilian non-killy-people work is his most significant.

Attached: Pond Racer.jpg (1072x718, 80K)

GENIUS!!!!! Can't wait to fly on it!!!!!

Attached: image.jpg (640x480, 84K)

He's a personal hero of mine, not just for his pioneering work in aerospace but also for those magnificent sideburns.

>those sideburns.
maximum meme faggotry

>He doesn't have hair canards

Attached: A trip to the payne dimension.jpg (2400x2400, 2.24M)

Who is this guy

He is a pretty cool guy. He built a lot of innovative designs.
I met him in '73 at Oshkosh.

No

Met his brother in person and he's a Dick.

>built a shit spaceplane that doesn't work
Into the grave you go, Burt.

The empire of the stars belongs to based Elon.

he is a fucking legend, and is grossly underappreciated.

AFAIK, he doesn't do anything weapons related, so Jow Forums shouldn't give a shit.

As an aerospace engineer, I've watched him for many years. He has some interesting ideas, but he doesn't have the means to make that much of an impact. The internet barons are going to do a lot more in space (and who gives a flying fuck anymore about long duration aircraft) than he will ever be able to do. I expect he'll end up as a footnote, much like Otto Lilienthal. He had a vision, but couldn't capitalize on it.

>civilian non-killy-people work
My grandfather and John Denver both take umbrage with that statement

har har

Elon will be broke soon.

Flugetag????

Skimped on money, for in cockpit( check out the dentist-esque passenger air masks??? Kind of shoddy for space travel big money. Rumor was ditched one on a victory roll ( maybe?)

but in all seriousness I've met Dick Rutan two seperate years at Airventure and he's a chode. Having war stories doesn't make you automatically cool.

your grandfather can go take his umbridge and sit on it.

Well, Denver died to pilot error, but I'm inclined to give your grandpa the benefit of the doubt.

>famous for building a bunch of planes backwards and having the Chinese copy them.
>hair canards

lel

yes. surely soon hilldawg and berniebro will win the election. there will be in peaches and two scoops for dumpf.

Here's a Rutan/Scaled Composites design that's definitely Jow Forums, shame it's never really gone anywhere. It's sort of a baby A-10, single engine and built around a GAU-12 instead of the GAU-8, and it was intended as a light CAS/COIN bird.

Denver died because the plane was a poorly/stupidly built kit, not because of anything Rutan did.

Attached: 15053075036_57ec51be2f_b.jpg (1024x682, 217K)

Space colonization and independence soon, Sieg Elon.

I'd love to see the Defense industry adopt more of his ideas, It would be fucking aesthetic seeing a navalized Rutan airframe landing on a carrier. I have no idea how his A-10 competitor would fare in a real world situation however, but it would be interesting if the DOD goes the route of more drones replacing pilots, so in the end the US military would have three tiers of aviation, a lower-tier with Rutan-like cheaper and easier to maintain airframes that do FAC, mid-tier with drones and high-tier with piloted aircraft (strategic bombers and F-35 type airframes that are extremely sensor-heavy that can control drones and manage battlespaces)

That's gonna be his kid with Grimes, Zeon Musk.

>have no idea how his A-10 competitor would fare
If you're talking about the ARES, it wasn't really an A-10 competitor, it's a much smaller, lighter, and cheaper aircraft. The best thing I can think of to compare it to would be the Super Tucano, which is a very different configuration but fills the same role the ARES was intended for.

Scaled seems to be working on a "descendant" of the ARES now, this crazy stealthy-looking thing. The intended role is anybody's guess. (And it may well just be a tech demonstrator or whatever.)

Attached: scaled_composites_model401_2.jpg (2200x1080, 244K)

looks like that protoype stealth aircraft from the 60's that was designed to penetrate airspace using lo viz after Gary Powers got shot.

The ARES was a cool bird.

Attached: 30656907_10155510430460658_5745211339056349184_o.jpg (1200x800, 68K)

According to a quick google, the 401 is designed to demonstrate low cost manufacturing techniques for an unnamed customer (maybe the US gubbament?)

>Entire Air Force replaced with snazzy simple, tiny, yet capable all composite planes
PLEASE

>Barely Jow Forums at all
You say of a man who created scaled composites after being so impressed by the Viggen, that he built a working miniature one out of plywood in his Garage.

i mean when you think about it, the AF could really be relegated to more of a strategic bomber/logistics/A2A refueling/space command branch.

Nearly forgot:
And made a racing aircraft so people would stop cratering classic warbirds.

Not really. I was meaning more replacing every aircraft with an equally capable one designed by Burt Rutan

That makes sense. Could be another aircraft company too, they're doing some kind of partnership with Northrop Grumman for a T-38 replacement.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2016-08-19-at-21.53.33.png (1023x653, 932K)

oh ok. yeah think about the possibilities. they'd have to reinforce the airframes for naval use, and i don't know how corrosion resistant they are but that needs to be addressed for shipboard ops too. but im all for it.

STICC

Attached: proteus.jpg (3000x2400, 855K)

>ywn own a Berkut 540

Attached: angry goose.jpg (753x595, 23K)

I much prefer having a thread about neato planes that aren't strictly Jow Forums over the 100+ threads from some autist obsessed with gun youtubers.

Attached: ARES.jpg (1043x801, 221K)

Corrosion should be easy enough to deal with for a company that's all about composite airframes. Strength is a different issue, though, and cat shots and deck slamming are particular concerns when landing gear is bolted to ultra-light (i.e. flimsy) carbon fiber structures. A lot of Rutan designs are really good at STOL flying, though, so you might be able to sidestep the issue entirely.

>composite airframes
>corrosion

Kek

Literally the John Moses Browning of planes.

>Elon

Elon Musk is a genious marketer and business man, but he's not a designer or an engineer in any way. And some of the ideas he's pushing are fucking terrible, like that vacuum tube train.

Nah, he's a George Kellgren.

>Manned aircraft starts to phase out
>Ultralight and stealth UAV tech becoming more prominent
Northrop is damn near nutting itself right now looking at where things are going. Scaled Composites is soon gonna be the right hand of Northrop’s attempt at a return to prevalence after sitting around building fuselages for Boeing and Lockheed.

Clarence Johnson was the JMB of aviation

tf does this have to do with Jow Forums

get the fuck out

Scaled Composites is a defense contractor, and a ton of Rutan’s tech could be (and probably already is) used for military purposes. The dude takes aeronautical autism to a whole new level.

Aerospace autism is inherently Jow Forums related. Things that fly are things that can be made to be shooty and drop shit on people.

>being this new
Summer really has started.

>an autist projecting his autism on to others this hard

Attached: jaguars.jpg (689x568, 62K)

>only defense against being newfag is to call autist autist
>assuming same autist
>derailing thread

Holy shit guys, it’s summer

Attached: image.jpg (550x336, 122K)

Elon does have literal (or at least literature) prophecy on his side. That said, Rutan has come up with dinner cool designs that look like they will adapt well to the combat UAVs of the future.

Attached: main-qimg-0c84540aa1cfd3703c326012294272bf-c.jpg (602x616, 106K)

Go make another videogame thread you absolute child.

>dorsal air intake
Well it certainly isn't meant to be maneuverable...

Y'all know he would...

Attached: b_17_mojo_by_maxhitman-d8b9lp1.jpg (1090x732, 124K)

Autism incarnate
>and that's the way we like it

Attached: 2y4kwv3ziday.jpg (2048x1365, 144K)

What does this have to do with weapons?

What would you drop and where?

Attached: stratolaunch-scaled-composites-first-test.jpg (750x400, 65K)

Jow Forums is more than shooty shooty bang bang I wanna fuck Paul Harrell. It’s about what you can shooty shooty bang bang from and fuck Paul Harrell in too.

Attached: image.jpg (936x960, 420K)

The LongEZ I have is efficient as fuck and handles like a dream.
The only downside is the inability to do a loop, because you'll overstress your canard and rip it off

Attached: BigMuddyAirRace.jpg (1372x915, 190K)

>worriedjohndenver.jpg

>Hey, we want a nice, simple VLJ as a demonstrator for our new turbofan
>Say no more
LOOK AT HOW CUTE IT IS

Attached: 4959.jpg (450x281, 24K)

>SCHWING

Attached: 1280px-NASA_AD-1_in_flight.jpg (1280x700, 327K)

>Single-engine F-5/T-38 derivative
Aww yiss

Attached: F-20_flying.jpg (1800x1260, 467K)

>What’s Jow Forums‘s opinion on this man?
don't know enough about him personally to have much of an opinion other than he designed some cool shit.

saw his brother talk once at Oshkosh about the Voyager circumnavigation flight, which was pretty awesome.
he basically said that his dumb bitch copilot very nearly killed them both during the one time he allowed himself to sleep on the flight, and that they only survived by chance because he woke up randomly just a few minutes before the course correction window closed for not flying them into a fucking mountain.

Attached: dick rutan smithsonian.jpg (736x981, 285K)

More like the Gaston Glock
>Simple yet effective designs based on known concepts
>Made out of plastic
>Unique for their time

Just make the canard stronger

Yeah, but unlike Glock, Rutan put out more than one design.

Attached: burtrutan.jpg (768x1024, 49K)

youtube.com/watch?v=tv5dJiPlFO8

Attached: Fuck you raytheon.jpg (1068x801, 274K)

Honestly, with the way that things held on i should. theres a single 3/8th pin on the front and 2 bolts through the inst panel

While you're at it, could you give the leading edge of the canard a sweep and stick carbon fiber endplates on? I've seen vortices form on the canards of higher-end LongEZes and Berkuts that make me a little nervous with how they screw up flow over the meatiest part of the wing...

>building a bunch of planes backwards
What does that even mean

Jow Forums, your go-to for solving CFD on a canard

Thread theme: youtu.be/SNgNBsCI4EA

I shouldn’t be surprised.

Attached: image.jpg (475x357, 91K)

The canard design he pioneered has the tail and elevators on the front, and the wing/ailerons on the back, and the vertical stabilizers at the wing tips.

Has anyone ever tried an annular wing canard?

user, the canard design is already autistic enough

Attached: image.jpg (180x236, 51K)

Yeah that rutan attack plane prototype definitely didn't have an auto Cannon and wasn't designed for cas

How is it autistic, it functions prfectly fine when the aircraft is designed with canards in mind.
Because the wright brothers didn't design most of their planes this way before rutan was even born.

>Of the future
Of the present

Attached: China original RPA design donut steel.jpg (640x410, 31K)

I've seen annular tandem wings, but I can't recall an annular canard...would that just be a half-ellipse sticking out of the forward fuselage?

Attached: JWConcept.jpg (500x335, 29K)

>Berkut 540
Wouldn't they have to put space hind tier exposed ball turrets in the wingtips to make its defencive fire 360?

Attached: Republic_Gunship.png (508x339, 133K)

Just put a ball in the tail with 4 Brownings and that's near-180° port-starboard coverage-a little impaired aiming up, but down would be easy
Keep the dorsal and belly balls, and you only lose the side gunners (which were never that useful)...

Attached: Design-Rutan-Long-EZ-Mojave-Port-5.jpg (520x344, 53K)

jetguys.co/single-post/2017/09/28/Jet-Guys-Canard-Jet-Build-Project
youtube.com/watch?v=mkGbw7QXCOs
This airframe is amazingly flexible...there's no way some Narcos haven't put a belt-fed MG up in the nose for ghetto COIN

Attached: 85b15c_39243a82988e49848761ebd2ddb1b9fb~mv2.png (599x399, 407K)

youtube.com/watch?v=tTiLmDy-Jy4
>Not sure if I prefer Hornet-style under-wing intakes or Thunderchief-esque wing root openings...

Attached: IMG_7201.jpg (1600x1068, 218K)

youtube.com/watch?v=-xKS9Mo5oYQ
Some even have under-wing luggage pods!
>how much cocaine do y'all figure he could carry?

Attached: 85b15c_09c6a621e06a4a26b6ac2adb4c1d3877~mv2.jpg (800x1066, 276K)

Your mom on chad’s phallus

Legend.
We should have him design our fighter aircraft.

I've never seen a plane look so... BRITTLE.

He did some work troubleshooting the Phantom
>Pic surprisingly unrelated

Attached: McDonnell-Douglas-YF-4E-CCV.jpg (1115x744, 497K)

The Proteus is built for high altitude, and long range. Probably not supposed to be pulling a lot of G's in it desu

Attached: stratolaunchtaxi_test_2.png (1200x675, 876K)

Was Burt a time traveling nazi aircraft designer?

everything is possible if you follow your autism

Tacit Blue. Yeah, I see it.