When I started browsing Jow Forums in 2011, there was much discussion of the clip/magazine nomenclature controversy...

When I started browsing Jow Forums in 2011, there was much discussion of the clip/magazine nomenclature controversy, which is rarely mentioned nowadays. What happened? My guess is that it was a generational shift. Misuse of the term clip started in WW2, when large numbers of ignorant young men were suddenly introduced to guns, and continued through the mid 20th century, being popularized by urban crime culture and movies.

Attached: clip vs magazine.png (500x440, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_prescription
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It doesn't happen that much because most people here understand the difference and the only time someone gets it wrong, they're corrected and don't do it again or they're trolling and eventually leave.

well that and it's a stupid fucking argument.

Attached: 1516244385057.jpg (550x717, 68K)

Two things. People who gave a fuck left, being replaced by people who dont give a fuck, hence the loose board culture and catalog full of daily "humor" threads and video game minutia. Secondly, word got out that it was easy b8 on Jow Forums, so communities who troll recreationally (ED, SA, etc) numbed those who might have given a fuck into not giving a fuck; plus as a side effect it increased the profile of the definition distinction itself by making it part of the meme.

Ironically, all that trolling helped better educate the public about proper nomenclature.

It moved to assault rifle. A semi auto AR-15 is an assault rifle. Jow Forumsommandos like to throw a shit fit and argument with the dictionary.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_prescription

>(dictionary.com)
>"a lightweight rifle developed from the sub-machine gun, which may be set to fire automatically or semi-automatically"
Its literally not. Call it a shitfit if you like, you're still wrong.

Mama mia

Attached: B28AC292-1403-4F1C-AF67-F603F4ECA4E1.jpg (625x482, 80K)

Attached: Blank+_7f7786e7b948fd0c0a95496375b8e177.jpg (750x600, 78K)

Wow what a totally necessary thread ,faggot

>developed from the sub-machine gun
So, straight-up wrong.

>sturmgewehr 44
>not a maschinenpistole
>mfw

Attached: 1ba55249a7d95ede854a2a8035417e0d.jpg (444x497, 35K)

Is that a famas?

>People who gave a fuck left, being replaced by people who dont give a fuck, hence the loose board culture and catalog full of daily "humor" threads and video game minutia.
You just described this board back in 2007 + mag/clip arguments. Stop trying to sound old.

I've only fired three rounds of S&W .40 as a kid, and I know the difference. The difference has caught on very fast.

Clip loads ammo into magazines. Magazine feeds the chamber of the gun. Not that hard. I could call them a clipmagazone to troll though.

They gave up. Everybody calls magazines clips now and actual clips are extremely rare.

Tomato tomato faggot.

There are very good arguments in favor of linguistic prescription. Words mean things, and they must have narrowly defined and rigid meanings in order to be useful. When you decide to give words your own special snowflake meanings, you make language less useful.

Chargers load rounds into magazines. Not clips.

>a regional difference in pronunciation of one vowel in the same word is comparable to conflating two semantically and etymologically distinct words.

Attached: retard alert.gif (493x342, 393K)

mostly because of the misuse of these words in popular media and nobody cares to differentiate "clip" and "magazine'
most guns nowadays use magazine
ill always know the difference though

The famas meme stopped being funny years ago.
On the contrary, the clip/magazine error seems to be becoming less and less common.

>full size cartridge autoloading rifles with detachable magazines and selector switches are Battle Rifles
>full size cartridge autoloading rifles with detachable magazines and no selector switches are Battle Rifles
>intermediate cartridge autoloading rifles with detachable magazines and selector switches are Assault Rifles
>intermediate cartridge autoloading rifles with detachable magazines and no selector switches are ???

No select fire no assault rifle and no, safe is not a fire mode.

Not assault rifles. You can't retroactively apply technical terms through history. While the Stg44 is credited to being the first assault rifle the term didn't really come about until a decade and a half later.

If you classify a semi auto AR as an assault rifle, then you would have to classify a 1905 Winchester as an assault rifle too.

Attached: Winchester_Self_Loading_Mod_05.jpg (1674x582, 726K)

>Sporting rifles

>You can't retroactively apply technical terms through history.
Bullshit
Bolt actions like Mausers or Mosins were called battle rifles in the past, and now we dont include them in this category. Terms change to reflect reality.

excerpt from :
"With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge

Attached: clip.jpg (762x308, 64K)

38371352 #
The fedorov avtomat was the first assault rifle

bump

>6.5 Jap
Nah.

>You just described this board back in 2007 + mag/clip arguments. Stop trying to sound old.
I'm not, I only came here in 2009 and there definitely weren't as many videogame threads as today, while dedicated humor threads weren't even a thing.