Normandy or the Somme?

Going to france with the wife and kid next year, if you could only go to one battle site, would you go to Normandy beach or the Somme?
Im leaning to the Somme....

Attached: de0d42562a8e3893a388e44ede8f2653.jpg (533x400, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.uk/maps/@48.6193325,-1.5108651,3a,60y,355.47h,88.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s51Oh38lR7pcbOXvZzheHyw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Open to other battlefields if they are cool but figured these would be the biggies, maybe the line?

If you got the kids and mrs. in tow, Normandy of course. It's a beach after all, much more interesting for the tiny gremlins with the sea, sand and bunkers.
Somme if you're going alone or if your brats are interested in this stuff at all.

Kid will just be turning 6 when we go, but i see what you mean .

I live in the Somme, it's really boring in here
if you want to have a great vacation with family pick Normandy, if you want to see better battle sites and history, go to Somme

but why not both?

The Somme region also has the site of one of the German offensives of 1918. Poiziers (sic) also sports the Tommy Bar, the only boozer in the world with its own artillery park.

Only got so many days, be in france for probably 6 or 7 days.
Do you think i could hit up both on the same day? And not rush super hard?

Not a vast amount to see when visiting most battlefields.

Save your money and go to Mont Saint-Michel

Attached: maxresdefault (5).jpg (1280x720, 139K)

God damn I would love to live there.

Looks better when the sea comes in.

But seriously OP, Europe has a huge amount of cool history to go and see, dont waste your time at a field or a beach that has nothing to really see.

Also doing the Somme and normandy in one day is comparable to doing Boston and NYC in a day.

Attached: maxresdefault (6).jpg (1980x1080, 241K)

There's barely anything to see in the Somme. Normandy is far more tourist-friendly.

Is this a great pyramids situation, where if you move the camera you'll see a hugely dense sprawling shithole next to it?

those two photos show you more or less both sides.

So no.

non

google.co.uk/maps/@48.6193325,-1.5108651,3a,60y,355.47h,88.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s51Oh38lR7pcbOXvZzheHyw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Nope, Mont Saint-Michel is one of the most beautiful little towns I've visited in my life.

pointe du hoc is the only D-day stuff worth seeing.

There's pretty much nothing to see at the invasion beaches. they aren't even particularly nice beaches.

Go to Normandy. D-day stuff is really great. There's a nice beach at Luc-Sur-Mer which you can visit. Mont St. Michel is amazing, and only around 1 hour's drive away. There's loads of historical buildings in Caen, as well as military cemetries and a Memorial Museum (maybe go to that without the kids). If you can spare the time go to Falaise, there's William the Conqueror's fort there. There's also the Bayeux tapestry in Bayeux. The cider route is amazing, but hard to do with kids. Another great place is Ste. Mere l'Eglise. It has an amzing history, loads of cool WW2 things and it's littered with surp shops.

Also, since you're foreign, ALWAYS say "bonjour" to a French person and try to ask your question in French, or introduce yourself in French. They will find this polite and take it as a compliment so they will attempt to speak English with you.

I'd go to normandy beach.
WW1 battlefields are better viewed from planes/helicopters\google earth than on foot. You can go to any gravel pit if you are interested in hills and steep ledges.

post wife and if you are deserving then we will tell you

Normandy. Leave followers for the fallen defenders of The Fatherland. Heil Hitler.

Attached: Adolf_Hitler_cropped_restored.jpg (200x263, 10K)

Thanks for the advice anons
Probably doing Normandy didn't think about castles at all......kid will enjoy them much more so ill look some up.
Thanks again

post wife

He'd be dumb to do so on Jow Forums, even if it's not /b/.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Jow Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

How do you feel about hitler using bull semen? He was known to be a bit of a cum slut for that.

Isn't this pic the Petersburg crater?

If you ever come here stay away from Paris shitty districts, aka pretty much everywhere except for the most "cliché" places.
Leave nothing in your pockets ever. Carry everything in a hiking bag solidly attached to your body. No purses.
Stay away from other big cities too. If you see a concentration of more than 4 non-whites for 10 people, move away. Survival rule 101 to stay unharmed. Even if you're not white yourself.

And since you're american, do Normandie, as said. Much more interesting stuff for americans.

If you want to see a lot of stuff, no, too much to see, to little time to do so. Especially if your family wants to enjoy something else than war museums.
If you simply want to do a few scripted tours and visit a few museums fast, it may be doable. But you'll have to plan carefully.
Also, don't travel by train if you're on a schedule. Car only.

This. You can make it to Mont St. Michel and all the Normandy museums in two days. I've done it. That being said, you fucked up only giving yourself 7 days in france. You should have fond England with only 7 days. Then you could see the RAF, bovington tank, and imperial war museum plus all the other cliche attractions. With only 7 days, take your kids to Paris to see the Musee l'armee plus the Eiffel Tower. I've been there and done that in France and I can honestly tell you that you and your family will enjoy Paris more because it has everything. Don't mind the Muslims and niggers. Just ignore them. They never gave me any trouble.

Attached: 4166FFC5-62CE-4C76-AE13-8C07A3CD85C3-532-0000006518D8A3D7.jpg (320x320, 17K)

As a recap
>Paris>London>Normandie>Somme

Only American white trash go to France to visit grave sites. Nobody else gives a shit. But I don't want to encourage you to visit other places, so, please, by all means, go to a patch of dirt a say a prayer to muh veterans

Don't talk shit if you haven't been there. It's a very interesting experience to see a little slice of the USA in Europe if you e been traveling for a week or two.

You can't "live" there anymore, Phil. Just too much people on a so small island, even in winter. Even the nearby cities on the continent are impacted by the Mont's proximity.
I live 140 km north of Mont St-Michel (Cherbourg) since I'm 7. Never found anyone that accepted to drive me there, either family or friends. Just too much of a pain in the ass to go there "now".

Meant for

I’d like to see Verdun

Attached: 54773327-06AA-4C73-92E6-EDA7ADC5C5F0.jpg (550x439, 69K)

Seconding this. Most "D-Day beaches" are just beaches. Nothing left.
If you go on many little beaches around Normandy, you will find Atlantic wall ruins. But nothing on Omaha, for example.

normandy is easier access, bits of the somme are still in the total exclusion zone due to poison gas.

yes, the merfolk are overrun by immigrants diving into their merkingdoms during the crossing of the medditerranean.

That's a big crater

Yeah, Normandy is kind of cold most of the season. You can find plenty to do in the French wine country.

thank you mate now I have a plan for this summer break!

Attached: 1511726411438.jpg (480x750, 115K)

You made me research this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

> According to the Sécurité Civile agency in charge, at the current rate no fewer than 700 more years will be needed to clean the area completely. Some experiments conducted in 2005–06 discovered up to 300 shells/10,000 m2 in the top 15 cm of soil in the worst areas.

>Some areas remain off limits (for example two small pieces of land close to Ypres and Woëvre) where 99% of all plants still die, as arsenic can constitute up to 17% of some soil samples

Good fucking God

Attached: 1522499981428.jpg (550x512, 34K)

Gotta do a solo day-trip to Verdun. Not a place for the brood.

Has anyone been to Verdun?

That is the one WWI Battlefield I would really like to see.

Attached: doumont.jpg (1204x800, 375K)

Farmers and excavators still die from unexploded ordinance from ww1 in France

Go see Verdun. There's the historic city as well with shopping for the wife, cool stuff for the kids too. The battlefields are surreal and beautiful.

It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

UUUU

Fuck you. I lived in Italy for three years (worked in Rome) and dreaded seeing fat pasty white American trash. Before that I lived and worked in Zurich for a year. I traveled all of Europe while there. I generally avoided touristy spots during the tourist season. The whole fucking point of traveling outside the States is to experience NON-American things. I'm back home now in NYC, I miss Rome. Good times.

Why not visiting the Magenot-Line this is at least mostly visit able and keept as a museum.

No, but I've heard the town itself is a total tourist trap these days.

I can't speak for Normandy as I haven't been there yet, but I would say it depends on your nationality, OP - if you have a connection to the Commonwealth you're probably going to get more out of the Somme battlefields; if you're from the US Normandy will probably tickle the feels more. Walking among the fallen at the Australian memorial at Villers-Brettoneux was immensely more chilling than Verdun or the Brit/Canadian battlefields for me, though they too were incredibly moving in their own right - but there's something that gnaws at the core of you to see your fellow countrymen buried overseas, and the incredible care with which their resting place is looked after in their repose.

If you decide on the Somme, or WW1 battlefields in France/Belgium more broadly, there's plenty of centenary ceremonies going on this year for the 1918 anniversaries - it's worth checking out which ones you might make it to. I had the privilege of heading back to V-B this year for ANZAC Day, the centenary of the battle, and I can't think of a time I've been punched in the feels more than being their at dawn for a minute's silence and the Last Post.

That being said, there's a huge amount of value in going along when you can be alone with yourself and your family, and see the utter peace and quiet of these places now; it's remarkable to try and overlay in your mind the shit state of them a hundred years ago - my imagination is not capable of it.

Verdun is a pretty damned amazing region to visit - the sheer extent to which man has shaped the landscape beggars belief til you're there. The forts are interesting in some places, shocking in others, and downright eerie inside. There's a village that's basically still deserted after the war. The French cemetery is something to behold, too. Seeing the casement tops and how thick they are, and then seeing one blown in half and flipped down the hill, is fucking remarkable.

Attached: 66.jpg (1200x800, 114K)

Also, since you're foreign, ALWAYS say "bonjour" to a French person and try to ask your question in French, or introduce yourself in French. They will find this polite and take it as a compliment so they will attempt to speak English with you.

My go-to in France is "Bonjour, parlez vous Australie- er... parlez vous Anglaise?" - seems to shake off the "Fuck you, England" side of the French, shows you've made some effort, and I've rarely found people anything but friendly afterwards.

Oh fuck off you insufferable pompous cunt

Alternatively, you can eat a bag full of dicks, fuckstick.

The Caterpillar is bigger if I recall right.

Did mommy not kiss you on the way to school this morning, Billy?

Attached: A7CF7549-6F63-4636-8DFB-B93558D8794D.jpg (930x618, 330K)

>Going to france with the wife and kid next year
Please don't. Don't risk your life. At least don't risk the life of your kid.
France isn't France anymore.

Bump for interest

Attached: 3FAF62B7-B0A9-4AA6-929A-E539644F9E19.jpg (599x733, 189K)

> Going to Europe
> Only giving France 7 days
> Didn't even consider castles

I am so angry that people like you get to travel and have a family and probably a comfortable middle class capitalist lifestyle without knowing how to learn or plan for jack shit

Calm down sport.

Attached: 1496460431594.png (345x542, 68K)

It’s not your vacation

True. I lived there 21 years. In the 60s, Algerian war veteran farmers were issued military surplus explosives to detonate the shells they'd find in the fields by themselves so that they wouldn't annoy the cops with what was then "petty bullshit" lol.

Unfortunately, this stopped later on, at the same time other fun things, such as .22lr and .12ga on sale in supermarkets, stopped as well.

Anyways, you can do 6 days out of 7 in Normandy - it will be more interesting for your wife and kid, there are cute cows, little farms, beaches, small villages etc, and bunkers and tanks on display - and for one day in the middle of the week, drive to the Somme, it won't be more than a 3 hour ride, which means that if you leave early and come back late, you can visit the Somme battlefields, eat at a good bar/restaurant in Amiens, and be back to the hotel in Normandy in the evening. Your kid will sleep in the car on the way there and back, so no energy problems for him.

I visited the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme.

pretty amazing.

Attached: thiepval-6.jpg (640x480, 59K)

No wonder you're so jaded. Rome is a city of trash and filth. Fantastic place to experience history, but a place of trash and filth nonetheless.

This and the Menin gate are truly special places. Churchill wanted to take the land they were on and make them British overseas territories he thought the bond between them and the UK so strong.

Bellawood?

Also,
>my wife and kids
Back to you retarded breeder.

If you do visit Paris, one place you shouldn't miss is the American military cemetery at Surness.. You can get details on the American Battle Monuments website. Its a beautiful place and has that timeless quality of so many such places, as though the unlived time of those buried there is almost tangible.

Amiens is like a 2 hour drive from Normandy, jesus OP do both.

Fucking this.