Does Playing With Toy Guns Lead to Later Acts of Gun Violence?

web.archive.org/web/20180626201025/https://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/behavior/playing-with-toy-guns-lead-to-actual-gun-violence.htm

>"The more toy gun play that was used, along with play with toy guns, the more real aggression boys showed in their preschool," he writes. "Boys showed much more toy gun play than did girls, and probably because of this, there was no relation found between toy gun play and real aggression in girls. Interestingly, we also found that the more toy gun play that was used, the less non-aggressive pretend play (including pretend aggression) children showed. And non-aggressive pretend play is seen as a good thing for children.

Would you say you are more violent from playing with toy guns as a child, Jow Forums?

Attached: howstuffworks.png (1201x710, 818K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MF_4EWSuzQY
researchgate.net/publication/21884711_Effects_of_Toy_Guns_and_Airplanes_on_Children's_Antisocial_Free_Play_Behavior
youtube.com/watch?v=aMqd5EQXD-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.
New research topic.
Does playing with baby dolls and idolizing pop stars that sell their sex appeal lead to teen pregnancy?

No. Not teaching children the difference between fantasy and reality does. So does not growing up with a father
>which community is known for not having fathers to teach the difference between fantasy and reality
>which community is the most violent

A bigger factor is ethnicity.

Attached: 1522804203312.png (1169x821, 56K)

I wasn't even allowed to have toy guns as a kid so I just picked up a stick and pretended to shoot commies with it. It's anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure there's just a lot of kids who are pre-disposed to thinking swords, guns and fighting are pretty fucking cool and will play cowboys and indians or soldier whether they have a toy gun or not.

Attached: 24293963_1011114932361350_599679011866058400_n.jpg (540x383, 16K)

no. i played wih guns thru entire childhood.
constantly watched war movies and cowboy westerns with my dad and brothers.
played shooter vidya and watched action hero movies and war movies all the way into adulthood

i only have a moderate interest in firearms. solid interest but hardly obsessed or fanatical and never have thoughts of going cowadooty irl

>the boys who would rather play with dress-up dolls than guns prove to be beta cucks in preschool
You don't fucking say.

It's like asking if exposure to hip hop at a young age will lead to later acts of violence.

The answer is no to both questions.

>Repackaged comicbook/rap music/videogame outrage

Oh boy.

Funny. I recently read a real medical study that said the exact opposite. Like "kids playing war, playing with guns are less likely to be aggressive because said games put them in a controllable good vs bad scenario where they can fight their fears.
And: those kids who were not allowed to play with toy guns at home were significantly more aggressive during the games, opted for ,Uchiha more violent solutions.

In short: playing with toy guns on a regular base gives kids the possibility to vent off their fears and anger. The fewer they play with them, the more aggressive they play

My dad and his friend used to tell my brothers and I that our toy guns were pussy and how when he was a kid they were more real and had more features and mass shootibgs were less common. Its almost like boys are more inherently aggressive...

>mom doesn't let so much as a nerf gun through the door as a kid because she thinks I'll end up a mass shooter
>end up a Jow Forumsommando anyway
People need to have more faith in their parenting abilities and realize that if you raise your kids to be good people who know the difference between fantasy and reality and right and wrong, they'll be fine, no matter what kind of toy arsenal they grew up with.

Naw. Growing up in the 70's playing with one of those plastic toy M16's hasn't turned me into a raving lunatic. Neither was watching lots of Dirty Harry and Death Wish movies, and The Equalizer in the 80's.

Although I sometimes do entertain dark thoughts about going postal on the tweakers & thieves. ;^)

youtube.com/watch?v=MF_4EWSuzQY

>only have a moderate interest in firearms. solid interest but hardly obsessed or fanatical

Attached: welcome.gif (283x153, 1.12M)

1940a
>hurr muh jazz music gonna make you worship the devil!
>durr comics about Superman will make you a communist!
>that rock and roll will rape you souls!
>weed = supermeth!
>PLAYING DOOM WILL MAKE YOU A NAZI
>LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS AND TAKE YOU PILLS 4 year old fatherless kids
Fast forward past lost of gay shit and some equity gay wars
2010+
>hunting, guns, fitness, successfulness, self reliance, playing, questioning things, cars, video games, most music IS PURE EVIL TOXIC RACISM REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Always the same shit

Attached: 009580C2-07E5-488A-BF1A-436E30B1DFF2.jpg (204x440, 30K)

My 2 year old nephew thinks all guns shoot water or nets because he plays with water guns all day and he watches the show paw patrol where a cop dog shoots nets to catch people

I earnestly believe that race does indeed play a role in the mental development of a person enough that people of certain races are genetically disposed to outward acts of violence, pre-meditated or not. It's why people believe Blacks are so violent since it's either they're predisposed to committing violent acts or that they're naturally hot-blooded leading to violent acts.
Apparently it's okay to think that doggies and monkeys can have an inherently violent nature but humans are so biologically advanced and far removed from animals we can't judge them from a biological perspective.

>0:10

/ic/ and Jow Forums in a nutshell

>doom
>1980

Attached: 1527283573461.jpg (475x524, 59K)

>catch people
Yeah if you shoot them on the foot.

Aggression is natural and proper in men, despite what progressives and leftists will tell you. It needs to be there for drive, success, and general manful conduct in all matters. But the man needs to be a properly developed one too, well molded; properly influenced by parents, teachers, society and other good role models so that the aggression is controlled and can be directed when and as necessary. Even children can exhibit that control when they're properly raised. Controlled aggression is one of the most basic qualities that separate men from women and nu-males, the former have it in significantly higher quantities than the latter; while scum have aggression but no control

But good luck with that in the modern West, so the leftists get even more ammo for the 'aggression is bad' line.

Attached: 55d54ff4f8083fe55d433b04354a0ce7.jpg (1278x790, 247K)

> p r e t e n d

How do they account for the LARP'ers and Airsoftfags?

I used to pick up sticks as a kid and pretend they're guns. Sometimes I brought them home.
Am I violent? No, not really. Even if I pretended to shoot at my friends. This article sounds like a heap of false cause fallacy to me.

Boys are aggresive. They're supposed to be. They need an outlet for their agression, playing war is one such expression. They dream of being warriors and adventurers, explorers and heros. This is good, there is nothing wrong with this.
Why are fags so dead set on re-writing biological imperatives?

If this lead to real violence, the vast majority of boys have played with toy guns, then we should expect a majority of adult males to have committed acts of physical violence. And clearly that's not the case. If there's any correlation, it's weak.

Yeah, that's not right. Metal was the target scapegoat of the 80s.

Metal and DnD

>not wanting to be James bond
>not wanting to face impossible odds, be charismatic, physically fit, suave af, kill the bad guys and save the world

Oooooh noooooo, what a horrible role model. Even if he was a Brit.

Fuck I hate egalitarianism so much, why did it not occur to the researchers that children that are already predisposed to violence are more likely to play with toy guns than vice versa?

That remind me of the campaigns against toy guns and toy soldiers after WWI.
It's ineffective. The toy gun isn't what make the child violent. The toy gun appeals a lot to the violent child.

Tbh, that’s an even worse conclusion. Because then it will lead to “What? He plays with toy guns? He’s a school shooter in the making. Better force him into therapy. Oh look, no real guns for you when you turn 18”

There are productive outlets for violence lad. He could just as easily be a soldier, police officer, firefighter, MMA fighter, construction worker, or any other countless dangerous high test occupations.

F A C T S A R E R A C I S T

the original study was extremely small and the abstract doesn't give much info on its design.

researchgate.net/publication/21884711_Effects_of_Toy_Guns_and_Airplanes_on_Children's_Antisocial_Free_Play_Behavior

it did. that was the conclusion of the other, newer academic source they cite.

>"So, in effect, there was no evidence for a cathartic effect, but there was evidence for a probable cuing effect. Playing with toy guns may be increased when some children already show more aggression, or reciprocally real aggression may be cued and increased when children play more with toy guns. It just didn't seem that anything good came from playing with toy guns."

and

>Corporal Punishment More Determinative

Of course. But it’s like those annoying adverts. “One easy way to tell if your kid is a future psychopath”
I know it!s bullshit, you know it’s bullshit, but it’s going to be latched onto as an excuse to deny the glory of hasguns to the future generations.

I wish they would do this study except with single motherhood. Unfortunately, anyone who tries to legitimately demonstrate a relationship between single motherhood and fucked up boys is going to get REEEEEEEEEE'd into oblivion by feminists until the research funding is pulled.

>it did. that was the conclusion of the other, newer academic source they cite.

well, the authors didn't say this. i kind of doubt they'd only claim an association if they could reasonably argue a causative relationship. the study seems like the authors might have a bit of personal bias.

i'd like to see the data they used. seems unlikely that toy gun play would strongly predict aggression independently of corporal punishment and other forms of domestic aggression

Had the same childhood, even started making my own wooden guns out of wood scraps and screws. Mom always said that was a sign of violence. Even got into airsoft wars with the neighbor kids and had massive larp Vietnam battles in the swamps and forests in my neighborhood.

Only violent fights over ever gotten into we're 6 plus years ago when I was in highschool where I was legitimately trying to hurt someone.

I would say toy guns gave me a 6/10 experience, the larp Vietnam battles were fun though.

Just because knowledge can be abused doesn't mean that it isn't worth having.
I think the researchers failed to take into account the many fields in our society where aggression is a desirable trait.

Because they don't want to admit that they have mental problems so they make everyone else think that the more mentally wrong you are the more special and therefore better you are.

Like I'm am so legitimately shocked by the factual evidence that would prove such a thing....

>I think the researchers failed to take into account the many fields in our society where aggression is a desirable trait.

that's not really their job. what's bothersome are the sensational articles that imply a causative relationship. they cited one old, small, poorly-designed study and one other study whose conclusion doesn't really square with the headline of the article.

Soon just "Being White" will be an "Act of Violence".

We Larped Vietnam in swamps at my neighborhood with m16 airsoft guns and ak47s too, had a blast killing zipper heads in my forest.

Early exposure to toy firearms probably increases the chance they will become a firearm owners/pro 2A.

This is why the establishment hates it, they want future generations to only see firearms in the hands of police/military so they will believe it's normal for civilians to not own firearms.

It's like this story of my good for nothing aunt, hated guns was too scared to touch them, he good for nothing husband started her our on a .22 she was too scared to pull the trigger a second time, and still. Her only explanation for hating guns was they were scary

*Fuck I hate Mobil browsing, can't even type without making errors.

>Boys showed much more toy gun play than did girls, and probably because of this, there was no relation found between toy gun play and real aggression in girls

Thats the most logically flawed thing I've read in a long time
>There's no correlation because it was rarer

Studies have been done before. You already know the results.

Already is.

yes

>"So, in effect, there was no evidence for a cathartic effect, but there was evidence for a probable cuing effect. Playing with toy guns may be increased when some children already show more aggression, or reciprocally real aggression may be cued and increased when children play more with toy guns. It just didn't seem that anything good came from playing with toy guns."

This is what I've read from some other study too.

Basically - if you are prone to aggression due to some reason (for example bad family life as kid), then any kind of violent game, book, movie, video game etc. can make you more aggressive. Yes, even reading violent books can increase aggression in those individuals.

Another study said that in normal people, violent video games function as a pressure release of a kind which *decreases* aggression.

This means soccer moms should take a look in a mirror if their kid acts aggressively.

Attached: d2ba6084.jpg (1440x945, 113K)

I played with guns continuously and had zero aggression in school.
Most school shooters also happen to come from liberal households and they're medicated.

If you want to scapegoat someone, scapegoat the incessant talk of school shooters.

There was a thing in the UK gutter press (tabloids) recently about two of the young brothers in the Royal family being spotted playing with capguns. It made me happy that leftists were getting butthurt over two things they hate, guns and the Windsors

Lol how is that 18 month old nigger killing more than a 6 year oldm

If it were, the 1950's and 60's would have been the most violent epoch in American history.

youtube.com/watch?v=aMqd5EQXD-g

Oi fuck off mate

Pussy Galore. You can keep the rest of that stuff.

Growing up in the 90's, kids all wanted to be Power Rangers or dinosaurs.

>soccer moms should take a look in a mirror if their kid acts aggressively.
Fucking /thread/

Maybe but it definitely leads 2 easy poon

When I was little my mom wouldn't buy me toy guns, but I would make them out of sticks and eventually had a few 'realistic' squirt guns and cap guns that I played with often, and sometimes had cap gun fights with friends.Then videogames came along and I played an unhealthy amount of doom, quake and quake 2 etc from there all starting at a fairly inappropriate age and have logged thousands of hours playing similar games since. After college I became interested in guns as a hobby and now have a healthy collection that I enjoy shooting at targets in my backyard. I have never in my life started a fight or lost my cool more than raising my voice when extremely irritated. I literally put bugs outside when I find them in the house rather than killing them, if possible. The obsession of the media with videogames and toys causing violence has always dumbfounded me. People who harm others always have a predisposition to do so, whether its poor anger management or pure psychopathy and to think otherwise is ridiculous. A school shooter may have played a lot of violent videogames, but his obsession/ tendency for violence runs deeper than that, and to say otherwise is ignoring deeper societal/ human issues.

Attached: 1484054588913.jpg (735x490, 117K)

You beat me to it

Liberals already have conclusion before they do the "science"

It's death rate, not murder rate.

>dead set on rewriting biological imperitives
Steven Pinker wrote an entire book on this.

>not even toy guns are safe
No one tell them about bb's and air rifles. This is "vidya maeks u rapist murdurur" tier stupid. Same scapegoat, different day, you could ban literally every atom and molecule in the universe and these fucks will still never be satisfied. Best not to listen to them at all.
Funny you mention that, because they did. Turns out single mothers tend to be garbage.

i'm not more violent but im certainly more fond of guns in general and I like having fun with them more