Are there any practical uses for lever guns nowadays?

Are there any practical uses for lever guns nowadays?

Seems like ammo capacity is beaten by anything magazine fed, accuracy would be worse due to the mag tube and rattly cartridges hanging off the barrel, lock up isn't nearly as strong as a bolt action, loading isn't as convenient (for levers without a feed gate), harder to strip/clean, the lever itself is far easier to short stroke

I'm fine with cowboy larping but why do people bother otherwise

Attached: 36291390_1664582206943591_5018525949432430592_n.jpg (960x586, 70K)

Lever guns can have tubular, rotary and removable box magazines.

Seems to me like you have to be 18 to post here.

Legal reasons?

No one buys a levergat for it to be the best rifle in their collection. Its plain fuckin obvious that it is a dated/inefficient design..

You guy a lever gun because you want one. Simple as that.

bypassing semi auto bans. take a look at ausfailia. though pump can be faster and a approved by jmb.

>no one talk shit about bolt action
>lever action is useless
Never change, Jow Forums

If we're not talking patrol rifles but just hunting and plinking? Not a ton of .357 mag srmi-auto carbines out there that I'm aware of, and running a lever is fun and fast as fuck.

I'd love to see Savage bring back their weird lever/falling block(?)/striker/whatever the fuck it was with 10 round mags in .243/6.5CM/.308/.338 Fed just to try the US/AUS market.

The Model 99.
The greatest leverghat of all time.

1. Getting around semi-auto bans
2. Offers cheap access to certain cartridges rarely found in other guns (i.e. 45-70, .450 Marlin, 30-30)
3. cool lever action

Attached: 1526063004835.jpg (853x473, 52K)

They are still used as guide guns for people in places like Alaska that need big, hard hitting cartridges with heavy bullet weights like 45/70, which would be impractically expensive and heavy in a semi auto but relatively available and still adequate in a levergat.

>there are tactical uses for lever guns nowadays
*ftfy

Attached: lever moss.jpg (550x550, 14K)

Another big part of this.
Say you are in grizzly country
You wanna pack an ass load of rapid fire ft-lbs of muzzle energy in a sleek, simple and reliable longarm
Weather conditions and environment are not conducive to semi-autos
Leverghat 45-75 to save the day
or
Must hunt with SWC
Get your 357mag on

Not everything needs to be high-speed, low-drag, tacticooled-out, and ready for the RAHOWA.

>-t.fudd

Not wrong. Hell, Bill Ruger converted one to semi auto

Attached: 30f8e304828b4a3fa5a4ddbe1deb148c.jpg (1375x1375, 192K)

>Seems like ammo capacity is beaten by anything magazine fed
First of all, leverguns are magazine fed, and tube mags carry more ammunition than a flush box magazine. You get more rounds without having shit sticking out the bottom of your rifle.
>accuracy would be worse due to the mag tube
Not every rifle needs to be a .5moa tack driver, you'll never notice the difference over iron sights.
>and rattly cartridges hanging off the barrel
Handle some guns before opining please
>lock up isn't nearly as strong as a bolt action
True of the classic designs - but also irrelevant. Were you planning on changing to a new boutique magnum caliber every week?
>loading isn't as convenient (for levers without a feed gate)
This is a "problem" unique to the Henry line, not my cup of tea but they aren't hard to use at all.
>harder to strip/clean
Undeniably true, but you're mentally deficient if it's hard for you.
>the lever itself is far easier to short stroke
So run it till it stops

The guns carry better than semis or bolts. Apart from blade sights, a Winchester repeater is almost as smooth in profile as a musket, which lends itself to scabbards. It's very slender and light and easy to carry. They're basically the ultimate rifles for fucking around in the woods.

Best post ITT. It's because leverguns are undeniably fucking sick.

The Deer I take with my 30-30 would love to disagree, but they are in the freezer.

MuhNigga

Attached: IMG_4923.jpg (1512x2016, 1.06M)

OP, you forgot to mention how no real hunter would ever carry a lever gun due to the decreased reliability compared to bolt actions. Or how anyone with a day or so of practice can run a mad minute on an Einfield faster than the quickest lever gun. Or how spitzer bullets will always be an impossibility in lever actions.

Am I forgetting any? It's been a good 9 months since I've seen one of these, so I'm probably rusty.

Go damn, this. Are you reading this Savage Arms? I know that Vista Outdoors bullshit is distracting, but start making these again. Pretty please.

I'll pay BLR prices, and you don't even have to do quality hardwood. You can do polymer or Ruger's ugly ass laminate along with your normal barrel nut.

Stop being poor and you'll be able to afford a firearm in every action. They're fun and they're only like $400, get over it and get a real job bitchboy.

They make excellent suppressor hosts and offer a higher rate/volume of fire than a bolt action rifle. They're also usually shorter than bolt guns and always have iron sights for shooting within 100-150 yards.

Also, 45-70, 444 marlin, and to a lesser extent 44 magnum are very good at cutting through brush and thicket.

trips of truth
I'd go with a lever action for legal reasons over a semi auto here

This fucking thread again

and they're objectively the most fun kind of gun to shoot

They're still working rifles. Who doesn't like 14 shots of .357 magnum in their magazine?

Attached: 20180220_162041.jpg (4032x3024, 3.61M)

Attached: Leverfagging.png (818x960, 444K)

Who makes the best value .357 lever gun these days?

Rossi if you can find them
Post 2013 Marlin if you can't find a Rossi
Henry if you can't find either of those and you don't mind tube loading

Man, don't ask me. I love my Uberti guns so much I spent top dollar on their Model 1873.

I would consider a lever action for living on Svalbard:

>strict gun control in Norway, so semi auto for hunting is getting banned
>lever action is more reliable under harsh conditions than semi auto anyway
>big bullets for big polar bears

So, even considering semi auto options, a lever action seems like a better choice for Svalbard conditions. And definitely better than bolt action.

But maybe a pump action shotgun with slugs would be just as good, or better.

>practical
Nah bro are you kidding? Why would you own a gun simply because it's fun? Fuck the .45-70, what a pointless round, amiright? It couldn't kill anything dawg.

Probably Marlin. I've seen them for around $350 online.

>>lever action is more reliable under harsh conditions than semi auto anyway
i keep seeing/hearing that
but no one ever mentions why/how
is this fudd-lore? it sounds like fudd-lore

I kind of want a Chiappa LA322 Kodiak Cub as a weather resistant takedown .22lr that I could use as a low-fuss gun to bring camping for plinking or pest control.
We can't own semi autos here, otherwise I'd get a 10/22 takedown with an integral suppressor :(

Attached: Chiappa--900x515.jpg (900x515, 156K)

> are there any practical uses for leverguns

hmm

shooting things, for one

They're stupid fun
Matching cartridges with your spinny bois
Straight wall cartridge only hunting states
They're aesthetically pleasing
Chicks love them (brass gets ya ass)

when will larpers stop murmuring that full metal lever gats are more handy than a lightweight polymer gun? It has literally twice the weight on the barrel end and sacrifices ergonomics for the design of the mechanism. The only handy part is having full control over the hammer.

>youll get more rounds without having shit sticking out of the bottom of the rifle

Except for... the LEVER....

They're fun, generally lightweight, and well-balanced.

A levergun in .357 or .44 Magnum is a pretty versatile firearm.

What? No, guns designed before the ar15 aren't lethal so what's the point?

Oh look, another "why own anything but an AR15?" thread. How exciting and needed.

Lever action shotguns are popular over here because pump action is Cat C so really hard to get your hands on.

Lever action rifles are generally cheaper and more common as well.

Winchester made a 7.62x54R Model 1894 for the Russians under contract. Spitzers aren't an impossibility at all.

Semi-autos can struggle to cycle under extremely cold temperatures because of frost and also gas expansion. Some semi-autos have variable sized gas taps to account for it, but anything non-self loading will shoot more reliably in general in very cold conditions.

If both options met minimum requirements, always choose aesthetics.

Because bolt action is decidedly not obsolete. Lever actions were designed with the expressed purpose of increasing the rate of fire of manually operated firearms. Bolt action were not and still fulfill an important role

What rifle is that? I love that aesthetic

Marlin 1895

Ditch the rail and modern sights and that rifle would look pretty cool

is that 24" model?

I've only gotten to hold one in 45 colt. Damn I want to find one in .357

Im pretty sure that is a Marlin 336

Lightweight hunting rifle and general plinker

Hmm. Maybe so.

This. Lever actions are commonly used as brush guns when hunting hogs.